Undergraduate majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrEaMeRcHiCk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone majored in as an undergrad? I'm going to UCLA in the fall and I know they have intro classes to the majors but i'd like to get some insight into a few majors I am considering....such as microbio, biology, and molecular bio...I am considering biochem but i heard it's difficult but if it appeals to me i'll go for it. And for schools in california such as usc and ucsf..do they prefer one undergrad major over another? because I've heard rumors such as "oh this major is more difficult so they take that into consideration" Any advice would be appreciated... ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I majored in microbio, immunology and molecular genetics at UCLA - loved the major. If you have any qs, PM me.

I would recommend that you should major in an area that you like! It does not matter what it is, just as long as you do well in it. If I had to do it all over again, I might of chosen Liberal Studies or some ticky tacky major. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I majored in Business which I hope to be able to apply later.

I agree with EED. Major in something you like. If the major doesn't include the prereqs, just take them. Without stating my major, I will say my major included puppetry as a core course. Maybe when I'm working, I'll duck behind the counter and let a little hand puppet consult with customers. Microbus out.

I majored in biology. After completing the pharmacy science pre-reqs, it was the quickest path to a degree. Though, I was tempted by environmental science.

hi~
i majored in Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology at UCLA..i loved it...i took MIMG 101 my last quarter and really like that too...pm me if you have any questions about what classes to take/research to do that will let you kill two birds with one stone (get lots of upper div units and get research experience at the same time)

I have a BA in psychology - my first love :love: , and actually it meshes well with pharmacy as I learned a lot of listening and empathy skills. I also focused on pharmacology/biopsych so that went well with pharmacy too. I loved it, had so many unique opportunities (met my husband in the process :D ) I wouldn't change a thing about the route I took (except for all those loans :laugh: )

spacecowgirl said:
I have a BA in psychology - my first love :love: , and actually it meshes well with pharmacy as I learned a lot of listening and empathy skills. I also focused on pharmacology/biopsych so that went well with pharmacy too. I loved it, had so many unique opportunities (met my husband in the process :D ) I wouldn't change a thing about the route I took (except for all those loans :laugh: )
Really? I was also a psych major as an undergrad, and I consider it one of the worst decisions I ever made. I wasted four years of my life and went into debt for a degree that made people think I was a bubbleheaded bimbo out to get my MRS. If I had to do it over again, I'd either combine the psych major with a biology major or only major in biology.

Thanks for all the advice and answer to my thread!...but if anyone still has advice or feedback about their undergraduate experiences...please! contact me!!!... :scared: <---that's how I feel about college right about now...

Modnar,
Why did you even major in psychology if you felt that strongly about it? Especially if you're going to value what everyone else has to say about it. Also, did you not research the fact that you essentially can't do anything in the field unless you go on to get your masters or doctorates?
Just thought I'd inquire. I was also a psych major and was fully aware that you can't do anything with a BA.

emogrrrrl said:
Modnar,
Why did you even major in psychology if you felt that strongly about it? Especially if you're going to value what everyone else has to say about it. Also, did you not research the fact that you essentially can't do anything in the field unless you go on to get your masters or doctorates?
Just thought I'd inquire. I was also a psych major and was fully aware that you can't do anything with a BA.
That's a legit question. The short answer is that I did not feel that way when I first chose my major. For the long answer, read on.

First, some historical context: I picked my major way back in 1999, when the dot-com bubble was still growing. I foolishly thought it would keep going (didn't we all?). :) I (again, foolishly) thought I'd be OK as long as I graduated. Ha. Ha.

Second, I did know that you can't do anything without a master's or Ph.D. In fact, there was a time when I really wanted to get a Ph.D. in psychology and work as a professor. After a few semesters as a research assistant in the psych department, I realized that that was NOT what I wanted to do with the rest of my life! I do enjoy research, but not the kind they do in psychology departments. I didn't think counseling was a good fit for me either. (I sure as hell wouldn't want me for a counselor!) Unfortunately, I didn't figure out any of this until my senior year of college, by which point it was too late to do anything about it. I simply graduated and spent some time fixing a severe case of burnout.

Of course, there are other factors too - such as the fact that the structure of psych departments varies wildly from school to school and I happened to pick one that caters more towards the bubbleheaded types than people who want to be biological psychologists. And there was also the fact that I had an irrational fear of math and didn't think I could handle calculus (which bio majors at my school were required to take).

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is not that psychology is bad. It's not, and if you're willing to go the extra mile to get into psychology Ph.D. programs, it can be a rewarding career. I also don't know where you get the idea that I don't value what everyone else has to say. I do! If I didn't, I wouldn't be here. I'm genuinely glad you and spacecowgirl have had good experiences in psychology. Most of mine were not, and I think it's important for people to hear both sides of the story.

I'm not trying to say "psychology sucks and nobody should ever major in it." I am posting this in the hopes that other people will learn from my mistakes, which were 1) not double majoring, 2) not trying research until after it was too late to change majors, and 3) a complete and total lack of foresight.

Anyway kids, when you're choosing your major, just ask yourself "what can I do with this degree if my plans for grad/med/pharm/whatever school don't work out?" As long as you have a decent answer for that, you'll be OK. :thumbup:

Modnar said:
Anyway kids, when you're choosing your major, just ask yourself "what can I do with this degree if my plans for grad/med/pharm/whatever school don't work out?" As long as you have a decent answer for that, you'll be OK. :thumbup:

I agree with you on this. I know what you mean about research and planning on going to get your PhD in psych and then finding out thats not what you want to do. Exactly what happened to me...got accepted and ended up not going on with it b/c of limited options after I got the degree.
I was actually asking you why you were so caught up in everyones opinions about the major.
I also want to point out that it's not only liberal arts that you are unable to do much with only getting a bachelors...goes for biology as well. Unless you plan on going to professional school or graduate school, there isn't much you can do with the degree unless you just want to work in a laboratory or run studies. Pretty much every degree is limiting if you don't go beyond a bachelors with some exceptions...business (market isn't so great right now), engineering, and computer science (again, the market is terrible at this point).
Wasn't tyring to irk you Modnar, just thought I'd ask why you were so anti psych
:D

Modnar said:
Really? I was also a psych major as an undergrad, and I consider it one of the worst decisions I ever made. I wasted four years of my life and went into debt for a degree that made people think I was a bubbleheaded bimbo out to get my MRS. If I had to do it over again, I'd either combine the psych major with a biology major or only major in biology.

That's too bad - I'm glad I didn't have that experience (and although I did get my MRS ;) I only got it because I met my husband doing NSF research at a completely different school over the summer :laugh: ) At my school, (U of MN) psych was pretty well regarded, except by the hard sciences who don't regard any major as valid - except the hard sciences :D

I had full intentions of getting my PhD in experimental psych, but after a bit of experience in psych research, realized that I was too people-oriented for that and it wasn't where I wanted to go - but I still love the subject and find myself incorporating it into almost everything. People are always like, "are you analyzing me?" :laugh: I say, no I'm not THAT (clinical) kind of psych major.

Having a liberal arts background has given me much more of a comprehensive education than a lot of my classmates who took the bare minimum pre-reqs. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, sorry if it comes off that way :oops: , but I think English, history and social sciences are equally as important when it comes to making a person a well-rounded citizen. Incidentally, the deans of my COP agree 100% which is why they only look at cumulative GPA and are admitting more and more students with prior degrees.

hey Modnar, i agree with you about psy. I also agree with the other posters about psy as well. I was a psy major and i enoyed my classes and did well. In my junior year i began to be a research assistant and didnt really like it that much. I began to think that maybe psy wasnt a good major for me and that perhaps bio would have been better, but with bio taking 1 year to complete and prereqs for other courses in bio, so i went with a sociology minor. In my last year i decided that i definitely didnt want to get a phd in counseling psy, or the psy d. I felt that pharmacy would satisfy my desire for knowledge and enjoyment of science courses. I really loved my biopsy courses :) So i applied to school and began to plan for summer courses to help catch up with the science courses. I was able to take a variety of liberal arts courses, which i enjoyed and enabled me to enter a accelerated program. If i could go back i think i wouldve been a double major with psy/bio or a human bio major. Perhaps going to a different school wouldve been nice too.

spacecowgirl said:
Having a liberal arts background has given me much more of a comprehensive education than a lot of my classmates who took the bare minimum pre-reqs. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, sorry if it comes off that way :oops: , but I think English, history and social sciences are equally as important when it comes to making a person a well-rounded citizen. Incidentally, the deans of my COP agree 100% which is why they only look at cumulative GPA and are admitting more and more students with prior degrees.

I completely agree! Well said.

emogrrrrl said:
I was actually asking you why you were so caught up in everyones opinions about the major.
That's hard to explain... I guess because it's just demoralizing to be treated like an idiot by employers when you know you aren't one.

Anyhoo, if you guys have further questions for me, please PM me with them. I don't want to make this the "Modnar's life story" thread.

I started out as a Bio major, but changed my major to Interdisciplinary of Natural Science for Health Professions (INH- i know it's long...it's a pre-health professions tract). The main reason I changed majors was because my advisor showed me a book of the 2000 Pharmacy entering class and what percentage of what majors were accepted, and INH was like 40%. I also liked the fact that all my pre-reqs were required for the degree. This degree allowed me to get credit for taking classes in three different depts (chemistry, biology, physics), unlike most degrees. When I graduated they finally changed to the name (thank goodness!) to Biomedical Sciences. So now I officially have a B.S. in Biomedical Sciences, which is easier to say and I think it sounds more professional :D That being said, as long as you have your pre-reqs I don't think it really matters what your degree is, as most pharm schools just look at those classes. So I say pick something you enjoy. Luckily for me, I enjoyed most the classes that I needed for my degree.

~Pam

Trancelucent1 said:
I also liked the fact that all my pre-reqs were required for the degree. This degree allowed me to get credit for taking classes in three different depts (chemistry, biology, physics), unlike most degrees
~Pam

I went to Saint Leo. The only UF pharmacy prerequisites that were not included in the degree were A & P. Plus, it included biochem, micro and genetics which are all 1st year courses at UF. It made sense to go that route.