Undergraduate Preparation for an MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplecat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an undergraduate currently majoring in International Affairs. Recently I've considered pursuing an MPH after graduation, focusing on global health. I've searched online everywhere, but information about what to do to get into grad school for this has been vague at best. I want to pick up a minor in something more health-related, but also considered doing premed. However, when I emailed the premed advisor at my school she basically told me it would not prepare me for an MPH, and that I should get a Health Science minor. I was slightly confused because some grad schools seem to want you to take the MCAT. I would like to know what others who are getting an MPH did in preparation for the degree, specifically what you studied as an undergrad and whether you took an admission test. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

For the most part, premed is unnecessary ( even for med school) and most mph schools want the gre ( some may allow you to substitute the mcat)

Last edited:
You'll find people from pretty much every background on this forum. I was a history major, and I know other students I met at visit days were engineering, pre-med students, humanities, English, etc. majors. What's more important is demonstrating your interest in the field, rather than what your degree says you majored in.

Also, take the GRE. It's a requirement at virtually every school of public health. No school requires the MCAT, so unless you are dead set on going into medical school soon after public health, focus your attention on the GRE.

Members don't see this ad :)
Start researching programs. Choose one or two areas that sound interesting to you. Take classes that will fulfill the pre-reqs for more than one type of program. This approach will make your electives more meaningful and will hopefully prevent you from having to take a bunch of classes after you graduate! You don't have to major in pre-med. I majored in Exercise Science and found my degree to be more well rounded (and I'm pretty sure I still would have been very prepared for the MCAT). I took the GRE in 2009 and didn't apply for grad school until 2012.

I also think it's important to start building up other areas of your resume/life skills. Volunteer at an organization that allows you to work directly with people (doesn't have to be health related). If you're interested in Global Health, then maybe study abroad or travel to demonstrate that you have international experience. If you think you might like something more research based, then take a research methods class! And see if you can work in a lab or something similar.

don't think you need to have a specific background, but it helps if you major in related subjects. most schools take the gre, unless you already have a md and seeking a mph, then you may substitute the mcat score for it.