[Undergraduate] Should I even bother trying with grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preapoptosis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so perhaps this thread will lead to yet another bitch session (which seems to be absolutely necessary when you're breaching grad school time), but I could really use some help/reassurance if any one has got it!

I am an undergrad at the University of Kansas getting ready to graduate in December 2008 w/a BGS in Psychology and minor in English. I was thinking of applying to grad schools in Dec 08 & then going to grad school in 2009. I'm looking at a couple of schools in Canada, UMKC, Ohio, Illinois, and several East coast schools. With all the rejection that people get even with great scores and GRE, it makes me wonder if I should even bother! What kind of schools are people mostly applying to? Ivy League? Public? Private? Professional Psych programs?

I am starting to study for the GRE now with the intention to take the test in October. When I graduate I should have over a 3.3, but I've been abroad the last year so my grades are still up in the air! I'm doing a research lab in the fall that's focused on Autism and Down syndrome children. For those that have gotten into graduate school:
  • Where did you apply to?
  • Did you have outside activities that contributed to your application?
  • What was your GPA?
  • What was your degree type? (BA, BSc, BGS)
  • What was your GRE?
  • What was your Psychology GRE test?
Thanks guys & good luck with all this!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really answer any of your questions because I'm a few years behind you in school. But I just wanted to say that if you really want to go to grad school you should apply and go for it, if that's what you want. I think its normal to be nervous and fearful but that can also be used as your motivation to succeed. I see all the rejection people write about and all the talk about their being alot of compeition in this major and no one wants to be rejected. However you won't know if you can get accepted until you try, so give your all and go for it. I don't think you will regret it.

I haven't applied anywhere yet (I'll be a senior, applying for the same time you do), but for graduate school, there's less of a concept of overall "reach" vs. "ivy" schools. Yes, some schools are more selective, and you will have personal reach schools, but getting in is more a matter of finding a school that matches your interests (and you match a professor's!).

You have a nice solid GPA, and if you study, you should do well on the GRE.

Basically, that was my really long winded way of saying find a school that speaks to your interests (i.e., there are some "ivy league" schools that have subpar programs in certain areas... check!), and then base your applications off of that.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally know a person with a sub 1000 GRE, 2.8 overall GPA (about 3.55 psych) that is in a MA program about to apply to PhD programs. Although, they did have 2.5 years of research as well before applying.

I think Walter Wintle summed it up nicely when he wrote this:

If you think you are beaten, you are.
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you'd like to win but you think you can't,
It's almost a cinch you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you're lost,
For out of the world we find
Success begins with a fellow's will -
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you're outclassed, you are;
You've got to think high to rise;
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.

Life's battle doesn't always go
To the stronger or faster man;
But sooner or later the man who wins,
Is the one who thinks he can.

Thanks guys for all your warm words & support! I hate to sound like Debbie Downer, and I love this forum to pieces (I have totally become an addict since discovering this lil' spot on the internet), but sometimes it's really hard to stay positive!

I think I may have found a Neuropsych lab to join up at UMKC, so hopefully that'll give me a leg up in the game.

Watch out grad school, here I come!!!!

Well that was easy:)

Go get 'em tiger!