• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Undergraduate timeline.

FeralisExtremum

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2008
  1. Dentist
    Shadowing and volunteering can generally be done whenever - throughout the year, over the summers, whatever is most convenient for you.

The DAT (usually) gets taken over the summer - in my opinion the ideal time to take it is at the end of sophomore year after completing one's pre-requisite courses. The other popular tile to take it is over the winter break, which gives you less time to study.

About the Ads

predent2151

2+ Year Member
    Dec 5, 2016
    1. Pre-Dental
      Do we apply to dental schools senior year of college? And when is the right time to ask for a LOR from your professor? I cant imagine asking for one after 1-2 years of not seeing me.

It's typical to apply after junior year so that you can matriculate right after senior year. AADSAS has historically opened June 1st so it's a good idea to ask around March to give your professors a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

FanOfCostco

7+ Year Member
      Jan 30, 2012
      1. Pre-Dental
        Do we apply to dental schools senior year of college? And when is the right time to ask for a LOR from your professor? I cant imagine asking for one after 1-2 years of not seeing me.

One option is to sign up for interfolio. It's basically a database where you can have profs write and send letters. You can store them indefinitely as long as you pay the yearly fee. The advantage is that the prof remembers you right after the final so you're not going back a year or two asking for letters. Also go to office hours. Go hangout and chit chat with the prof. A personal letter of rec is better than a template.

PositiveLake

2+ Year Member
        Jul 10, 2017
        1. Pre-Dental
          One option is to sign up for interfolio. It's basically a database where you can have profs write and send letters. You can store them indefinitely as long as you pay the yearly fee. The advantage is that the prof remembers you right after the final so you're not going back a year or two asking for letters. Also go to office hours. Go hangout and chit chat with the prof. A personal letter of rec is better than a template.
          You're talking about their Dossier program, right? Have you used this system, how do you ask professors to submit their letters?

hajin

5+ Year Member
          Sep 19, 2014
          1. Dental Student
            To make your life easier and make sure your science GPA stays high, start early with the major science classes that have labs and spread them out as much as possible. Of course, lots of people double and triple up with those classes and do just fine, but... Why suffer if you don't have to?

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.