rsahu1919

2+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
So I'll be attending college soon and wanted to know when to do what. I know I have to shadow, volunteer etc. but how spread out should it be with the DAT? Any general advice would be appreciated.

May 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Shadowing and volunteering can generally be done whenever - throughout the year, over the summers, whatever is most convenient for you.

The DAT (usually) gets taken over the summer - in my opinion the ideal time to take it is at the end of sophomore year after completing one's pre-requisite courses. The other popular tile to take it is over the winter break, which gives you less time to study.

OP
R

rsahu1919

2+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Do we apply to dental schools senior year of college? And when is the right time to ask for a LOR from your professor? I cant imagine asking for one after 1-2 years of not seeing me.

Last edited:
About the Ads

predent2151

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Do we apply to dental schools senior year of college? And when is the right time to ask for a LOR from your professor? I cant imagine asking for one after 1-2 years of not seeing me.
It's typical to apply after junior year so that you can matriculate right after senior year. AADSAS has historically opened June 1st so it's a good idea to ask around March to give your professors a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

FanOfCostco

7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
One option is to sign up for interfolio. It's basically a database where you can have profs write and send letters. You can store them indefinitely as long as you pay the yearly fee. The advantage is that the prof remembers you right after the final so you're not going back a year or two asking for letters. Also go to office hours. Go hangout and chit chat with the prof. A personal letter of rec is better than a template.

OP
R

rsahu1919

2+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
One option is to sign up for interfolio. It's basically a database where you can have profs write and send letters. You can store them indefinitely as long as you pay the yearly fee. The advantage is that the prof remembers you right after the final so you're not going back a year or two asking for letters. Also go to office hours. Go hangout and chit chat with the prof. A personal letter of rec is better than a template.
You're talking about their Dossier program, right? Have you used this system, how do you ask professors to submit their letters?

hajin

2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2014
Status
Dental Student
To make your life easier and make sure your science GPA stays high, start early with the major science classes that have labs and spread them out as much as possible. Of course, lots of people double and triple up with those classes and do just fine, but... Why suffer if you don't have to?

AN4TOMY

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Hit the ground running! Start off trying your butt off in every class, a high GPA is a blessing!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

About the Ads