Underground Clinical Vignettes imp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

Premedtomed

Was just wondering if these books would be important for Step 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Premedtomed said:
Was just wondering if these books would be important for Step 1.

I think they are way too clinically-oriented for step 1 and a fairly ineffective way of studying for a test that emphasizes the underlying basic science.

I have to disagree. I thought the books are best used throughout 2nd year, and they are best if used in a group format. If you are able to get together with 3-4 classmates and discuss each case in the UCV, you are really able to learn a lot just through the discussion with your classmates. The books might not emphasize basic concepts, but if you are able to correlate clinical findings to basic concepts that you get from your classes, you end up reinforcing both and getting to a whole new level of understanding.

I do agree that if you are crunched for time that UCVs might not be the most efficient way to review for Step1. But if you are using them throughout the year with your classes, they are excellent. Certain books are solid(path, micro, biochem) and certain ones aren't the best (behav. sci, pharm). PM me if you want any specific opinions.

They are great for helping you identify the diseases as they are generally presented in vignettes. You can read all about particular disease processes in First Aid, but if you don't know how they present you may have trouble figuring out what the patient has, and be unable to answer the question.

However, there is NOT enough basic science information in the books to cover what you need to know ABOUT the diseases. Not even close.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks you guys. I still haven't decided if I want to buy these books. THey are the last thing I will be buying before school starts. Maybe get in touch with somebody who has already bought them or something