UNE Online Biology as a refresher course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marinehrnt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional student that hasn't taken general biology for almost 13 years. All my other classes (physics, chemistry and o-chem) were all completed in the last two years but my biology is really rusty. I have contacted the schools where I'm applying and asked about the age of my general biology course and for the most part schools have had no problem with it being so old. I really want to get up to speed on biology and was thinking that taking the UNE online course would be a good refresher and was hoping to find someone that has taken it and could give me some feedback. I know I could pick up a biology book text book and read through it but looking for something a little more structured. I have looked over some biology mcat prep stuff but really feel I need to go back and learn the basics again. Taking it in class this year is not an option with my work schedule. Any thoughts if it's worth the money or should I just find a book and start reading?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a non-traditional student that hasn't taken general biology for almost 13 years. All my other classes (physics, chemistry and o-chem) were all completed in the last two years but my biology is really rusty. I have contacted the schools where I'm applying and asked about the age of my general biology course and for the most part schools have had no problem with it being so old. I really want to get up to speed on biology and was thinking that taking the UNE online course would be a good refresher and was hoping to find someone that has taken it and could give me some feedback. I know I could pick up a biology book text book and read through it but looking for something a little more structured. I have looked over some biology mcat prep stuff but really feel I need to go back and learn the basics again. Taking it in class this year is not an option with my work schedule. Any thoughts if it's worth the money or should I just find a book and start reading?

I'm in a pretty similar boat. I haven't taken my science courses in about 13 years as well. Right now I'm taking the UNECOM Chemistry I course and it's great! I can go my own speed, and it seems to be more focused than the course I took . . . a long time ago. ;) I took just the lecture, and opted out of the lab. It's a smidge cheaper, but really, I just wanted to get the concepts back into my forebrain, so the lab wasn't terribly important to me. I don't think you can opt out of lab for the Biology, if I recall correctly (you could contact them and ask for clarification). But I still think it's very worth it.

I'm in a pretty similar boat. I haven't taken my science courses in about 13 years as well. Right now I'm taking the UNECOM Chemistry I course and it's great! I can go my own speed, and it seems to be more focused than the course I took . . . a long time ago. ;) I took just the lecture, and opted out of the lab. It's a smidge cheaper, but really, I just wanted to get the concepts back into my forebrain, so the lab wasn't terribly important to me. I don't think you can opt out of lab for the Biology, if I recall correctly (you could contact them and ask for clarification). But I still think it's very worth it.

Thanks for the response. Does your chemistry class use a teaching method beyond just sitting down and reading the text book (like DVD's or audio lectures)? I'm hoping to finding something a little more involved than just reading a text and taking tests from it. I guess the best option is to call the school and get a feel for the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. Does your chemistry class use a teaching method beyond just sitting down and reading the text book (like DVD's or audio lectures)? I'm hoping to finding something a little more involved than just reading a text and taking tests from it. I guess the best option is to call the school and get a feel for the class.

Yes, there are lectures online. My prof suggests listening/watching lecture, then reading the book, doing the homework problems (there are a lot) and lastly, doing the quizzes. I do think every class is different, because each prof is different. they have their email addresses right on the info page so you can email them before you enroll. I would suggest contacting the prof directly, as you will get a better idea of what the class is really like. They also all have their syllabi up on the website, so you can read those as well.

I took UNE Bio II, Chem I and II (just taking final in two days) and am now starting Organic I. I find them to be more work than the in-person classes I took (some at SUNY Binghamton and some at a community college).

So... anyway I think all the courses are more work because you have to totally self learn. I personally learn faster with a professor.

There are online lectures. The Bio online lectures are actually quite helpful and focus on what you will be tested on, so be sure to listen to them. The Chemistry online lectures were not helpful... it was just the professor reading textbook slides.

The Bio II final exam was very doable and took me under an hour to complete. The Chem I exam was a bit harder and took me the entire four hours, but still doable. The Chem II exam should be about the same as Chem I, as the same prof teaches it.

The Organic I class... I hear it is a quite difficult, here is why
1. The prof wrote his own text book. It is supposed to be very to the point, which is good. But many have said they need supplemental text for more explanation and more practice problems.
2. Students were engaging in 'quiz/exam' exchanges (just before I started). This caused a major uproar and so the professor rewrote all the exams. Supposedly the new exams are not at all reflective of the actual course material covered/taught. Many people are complaining that they are struggling to get a C.

Of course my comments about the organic I class are just second hand. I personally have not taken any exams or tried to use the textbook yet.

Last edited:
I took UNE Bio II, Chem I and II (just taking final in two days) and am now starting Organic I. I find them to be more work than the in-person classes I took (some at SUNY Binghamton and some at a community college).

So... anyway I think all the courses are more work because you have to totally self learn. I personally learn faster with a professor.

There are online lectures. The Bio online lectures are actually quite helpful and focus on what you will be tested on, so be sure to listen to them. The Chemistry online lectures were not helpful... it was just the professor reading textbook slides.

The Bio II final exam was very doable and took me under an hour to complete. The Chem I exam was a bit harder and took me the entire four hours, but still doable. The Chem II exam should be about the same as Chem I, as the same prof teaches it.

The Organic I class... I hear it is a quite difficult, here is why
1. The prof wrote his own text book, so you are not learning from a professionally written textbook by a team of educators
2. Students were engaging in 'quiz/exam' exchanges (just before I started). This caused a major uproar and so the professor rewrote all the exams. Supposedly the new exams are not at all reflective of the actual course material covered/taught. Many people are complaining that they are struggling to get a C.

Of course my comments about the organic I class are just second hand. I personally have not taken any exams or tried to use the textbook yet.

This was very helpful and informative, thanks.

It seems that you are completing most of your pre-reqs through UNE; out of curiosity have you been in contact with the schools where you intend to apply about how they view these classes? I know there has been a million threads about online pre-reqs but curious about what DO school are saying about it. I have spoken with several schools and haven't run into much resistance when it comes to the classes at UNE, but how do they feel about taking the majority of your classes through distance? I have taken some distance classes in the past and found that they are often tougher then the in class sessions because of the self-teaching aspect. Thanks for the informative reply and good luck with the o-chem, it sounds like it's going to be a tough one. Also, when taking exams have you been using the ProtorU website?

This was very helpful and informative, thanks.

It seems that you are completing most of your pre-reqs through UNE; out of curiosity have you been in contact with the schools where you intend to apply about how they view these classes? I know there has been a million threads about online pre-reqs but curious about what DO school are saying about it. I have spoken with several schools and haven't run into much resistance when it comes to the classes at UNE, but how do they feel about taking the majority of your classes through distance? I have taken some distance classes in the past and found that they are often tougher then the in class sessions because of the self-teaching aspect. Thanks for the informative reply and good luck with the o-chem, it sounds like it's going to be a tough one. Also, when taking exams have you been using the ProtorU website?

Yes, I use Proctor U.

I've taken Chem I, Chem II, Bio I, Physics I and Physics II in person.

As a refresher I'm retaking Chem I and Chem II online. I'm also taking Bio II and both O-Chem classes.

The schools I'm applying to are fine with it. BUT... it definitely limits where I can apply. The main limiting factor is that many schools do not accept online labs. If I don't make it first round, I'll have to retake some of the labs in person.

Yes, I use Proctor U.

I've taken Chem I, Chem II, Bio I, Physics I and Physics II in person.

As a refresher I'm retaking Chem I and Chem II online. I'm also taking Bio II and both O-Chem classes.

The schools I'm applying to are fine with it. BUT... it definitely limits where I can apply. The main limiting factor is that many schools do not accept online labs. If I don't make it first round, I'll have to retake some of the labs in person.

Hi,

I realize this is an old thread....

I'm curious how you made out with the remaining online pre-req courses through UNE and if you were able to gain admission to med school as a result.

Thanks,
Tom