UNE Online General Chemistry 2: Is there a curve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anniekat2025

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If this is in the wrong place, please help me out!

I'm currently in gen chem 2 through the University of New England online program. My score in the class is in the upper 70's. The professor says this is "above average" but won't tell me if there's a curve or not. If it's curved and I am in range of a B/B+ I'll stay in the class. If not, I'm going to withdraw and take the class in person at a local school in the fall. Does anyone know if UNE gen chem is typically curved? I looked around on the forum and could only find a few posts about curves at UNE, none of which were related to gen chem. The one person I know who took ochem at UNE last year said her class was not curved. (She ended up failing.) I have two weeks to decide whether or not I'm going to withdraw.

Background: I'm a recent engineering grad, transitioning from engineering to the medical field. I know what it feels like to be drowning in a class and have no idea what's going on; I don't feel this way about this course. I understand the material, I read the textbook, do well on the homework (although it isn't collected for points), and I complete all the recommended study problems. I am used to science classes that are curved where 70% and up is an awesome grade (aka all of engineering) but I don't know if that's the case here.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If this is in the wrong place, please help me out!

I'm currently in gen chem 2 through the University of New England online program. My score in the class is in the upper 70's. The professor says this is "above average" but won't tell me if there's a curve or not. If it's curved and I am in range of a B/B+ I'll stay in the class. If not, I'm going to withdraw and take the class in person at a local school in the fall. Does anyone know if UNE gen chem is typically curved? I looked around on the forum and could only find a few posts about curves at UNE, none of which were related to gen chem. The one person I know who took ochem at UNE last year said her class was not curved. (She ended up failing.) I have two weeks to decide whether or not I'm going to withdraw.

Background: I'm a recent engineering grad, transitioning from engineering to the medical field. I know what it feels like to be drowning in a class and have no idea what's going on; I don't feel this way about this course. I understand the material, I read the textbook, do well on the homework (although it isn't collected for points), and I complete all the recommended study problems. I am used to science classes that are curved where 70% and up is an awesome grade (aka all of engineering) but I don't know if that's the case here.

Any input would be much appreciated!

I would ask the instructor directly if the class is curved or not. Consider asking the department chair. I almost always respond to a direct question that a student has.

As an instructor, the response you are getting seems to indicate to me that your instructor may curve the grades if they are too low. I will say that some departments have an expectation for grade distribution--at one institution of higher learning, the physics department dictates 2 A's to 3 B's to 2 C's.