UNECOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks. But I'm one of the "trying not to think about when the board scores will be back" crowd. Going to my rotation site next week to check out where to grocery shop, how to get around a strange town, where the hospital is, where I'm going to live, etc. And trying to pre-read surgery (my first rotation).

UNE is a beautiful campus. Make sure you get to see the seal rehab facility (not a med facility, but I hear it's lovely), and see if the patient simulation rooms are ready for a walk-through.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
shyrem

where did you end up? as for rotation site?

hope boards went well for ya, was it what you expected? and how do you think the real test compared to the practice tests purchased from NBOME?

A lot of people thought the test sucked :(

Test totally sucked. And then a week later I got the joy of taking the USMLEs... which I thought were totally different than the COMLEX. I didn't do the NBOME exams - I was busy doing UWorld which was very difficult.

I'm heading to Augusta, provided I can pass my boards. You?

Members don't see this ad :)
Augusta, GA? Just curious. I only live about 2 hr from there.
L.

Test totally sucked. And then a week later I got the joy of taking the USMLEs... which I thought were totally different than the COMLEX. I didn't do the NBOME exams - I was busy doing UWorld which was very difficult.

I'm heading to Augusta, provided I can pass my boards. You?

I'm pretty sure she means Augusta, ME

Ah, that makes a lot more sense!
:p
sorry, don't know Maine at all. Will visit for the first time next week.

Excellent! Probably a bit of a change from Georgia, but beautiful in my eyes. Are you attending UNECOM in August?

Nope, applying for 2009 though. We're attending a family reunion in NH next week so thought we'd venture over to Maine and check it out.
L.

Excellent! Probably a bit of a change from Georgia, but beautiful in my eyes. Are you attending UNECOM in August?

Nice. Definitely get a campus tour if you can. It is gorgeous being right on the water, especially this time of year

Hey class of 2012...Has everyone sent back all the paperwork we have received like the health forms? And how about the Hipaa and osha courses? I can't believe we start school in 3 1/2 weeks!!!

Augusta, GA? Just curious. I only live about 2 hr from there.
L.

Interesting. I live about 25 minutes from Augusta, GA.

Shy...which hospital you rotating at? I did my FM rotation in Augusta, ME. It was great! Since I was interested in EM, I got permission to spend some time in their ED.

Wook

Hey class of 2012...Has everyone sent back all the paperwork we have received like the health forms? And how about the Hipaa and osha courses? I can't believe we start school in 3 1/2 weeks!!!

Returned the Health Forms and did the Online OSHA thing, but still have to do HIPPA and my "Learning Style" Evaluation. It seems like every time I get something from them I have 5 or 6 more forms to fill out, I guess I shouldn't be surprised though.

What about that set of questions regarding things to "have under our belts" before anatomy starts? I guess they think we've had enough of enjoying the summer and want us to start studying already. I guess that is why Shy means about being 7 weeks behind in 4 1/2 weeks :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone and congrats to those who were accepted.

I am posting for a friend here who has an apartment room for rent.
Located in downtown, 8min drive to the school, 1min walk to Dunkin donuts, TransMarket, Bebe's Burritos (fun hangout spot).

Big kitchen space, modern living room, your own designated parking spot, snow removal, front & rear entrances
All for $400/mo. You can't beat that.

Contact Scott @ [email protected]

I know nothing about this person, their friend or their friend's apartment. I can however vouch for Bebe's Burritos ;)

Here are a list of places that are "Clean, Safe" and you'll make it your best friend while attending UNECOM in Biddo

- Sea-Star (gas station/market located accros from the entrance of UNE campus) (their subs/hot sandwiches is good)

- Corner Cafe off intersection between pool st and clifford st. good place to pick up homemade food/dinner

- Spinners pizza (new-york style pizza in Maine lol)

- Bebe's burritos (to get your mexican on)

- Jewels of India (to get your indian food , i mean it's not the best but it is clean and safe, and after a while without indian food, they taste delicious)

- Sapporo's In Portland Maine (to get your japanese/sushi)

- There is a mom & papa sushi shop right on Main St. of Biddeford, just opened and has really fresh sushi at a incredibe low price.. which many of UNECOM med students frequent there. (it doesn't have a name but they ONLY sell sushi and nothing else) ***do not go to Thai restaurant that sells sushi, it is not the same place*****

- late night Wendy's on alfred st.

- 24 hr Dunkin donuts in Downtown Sacco

- late night McD/BK in Downtown Sacco

Can't wait to get to the Biddo, where places are judged on Cleanliness and Safety :rolleyes:

"...and another little baby child is born in the Biddo....and his mama cries..."

Hi everyone! I will also be attending this fall I just hadnt got the chance to post till now. My Name is Rodney, Im a PA, I just have moved here with my wife from Chicago Il. I worked there at Rush U Med Center in the Cardiothoracic ICU as a PA. Ive did quite a few procedures, so if you all need help let me now. Oh by the way I am originally from missouri so I might have a southern accent to you all lol! See you all at school!:)

Which classes are the hardest guys? Do any of you know.:)

Based on exam failure rates: Neuro. I hear cardio was hard (but I was a former paramedic, so I really can't confirm this one). Lots of folks had problems with phys, repro, respiratory, musculo-skeletal. Pharm is of course rather comprehensive but shouldn't be a problem for a PA. Path was hard. Histo has a rather high re-take rate.

For me, the only class that really scared the livin' crap out of me where I was truly afraid I had failed an exam was bacteriology. The rest were pretty ok. I'll frankly tell you I didn't honor many classes, but I didn't fail any courses. Only failed one mid-term, but really studied my butt off and passed the final well enough to pass the course overall. I didn't fail any other exams. NONE. Did I study all the time? :laugh: No. I have two kids and a husband, and after classes I went home and was MOM. I got 3-4 hours of study time a day at best. Including weekends. But I used the time I had to the best advantage possible.

Bottom line: what's hard is a very personal thing. I didn't think neuro was that bad. Then again, I didn't think phys was that bad and over 1/3 of the class typically fails the first phys exam. I didn't think path was bad, but again a huge failure rate.

Good luck. Study well.

Well Thanks! I dont think I should have a problem with many of them. In fact I'll probabley end up being a tutor thats how it usually goes for me, dont feel bad about the Bacterio, I had problem with it and micro in PA school, in fact I think it was my biggest pain. I shouldnt have a problem with any A&P, cardio, or pulmonary considering I did work in cardiothoracic ICU. Although neuro will probabley kill me as I havent done much neuro.:)

I just wanted to add my perspective from this year's classes. I completely agree with ShyRem. BacT was scary. I studied my butt off for that class and barely passed. Anatomy can be very difficult, but we also took it in 11 weeks. I failed the first test by a little bit, but that freaked me out too, so I somehow pulled it together to pass the rest of the class. Physio is a long class, so there are more opportunities to make-up for a bad exam. Histo had a big curve this year, so you had to have really trashed that class to fail. And I have a husband and cats(my kids), plus I commute, so I could also never just disappear into a room permanently. My biggest pieces of advice are don't cram if possible, and spend as much time learning what it is the prof wants you to know as you do learning it. There is so much info, they have to emphasize somethings b/c it can't all be included. Once I did that, my grades shot right up. Also, failing is more stressful than not honoring, so if you come out of it not failing anything, but no honors, be proud.

be careful about being cocky docrod. There were several PAs in my class who had more than a little trouble with more than a few classes. This isn't like PA school.

Shy Rem, do you mind if I ask where your rotation site is for 3rd year clerkships?

Sorry. I was just scrolling and saw that you were asked that and answered.

Shy..How old are your kids? Any advice for being a Mom with kids going to med school? Did your Husband understand what your family was undertaking when you started med school? As school gets closer I find myself constantly thinking about hoping I can be successful in all my roles (wife, mother, student, and nurse)....Thanks for the support and knowledge you have always shown...

When I started med school, my kids were 8 and 11. They were of course four years younger when I went back to undergrad taking 21 credits a semester of math and chem courses.

Words of advice. Hm.
1. Well, realize you can't do it all excellently. Everything suffers a little bit. I had to be content with passing with mid-80s consistently, when I know darn good and well if I studied a little more (and be with my kids and husband less) I could have honored many of those classes.
2. Make family a priority. they are your foundation, your rock, your soft place when the day totally sucks. they deserve the best you can give in the circumstances.
3. Get used to going without sleep. I put my family first as best I could; as a result I didn't get to start studying until 10pm. I studied until 1am or so, crashed until 6am, got up to get kids off to school and did it all over again. Husband worked graveyards, so even weekends I only got to study from 10pm until 1am. I got really used to 4 or 5 hours of sleep every night. I was chronically exhausted. Vacations and summer I slept 10-12 hours a night and still wanted a nap in the afternoon. Just exhausting.
4. Make dinner for your family. Believe me, the payoff in taste, quality, cost, and family time will be worth it. Take leftovers for lunch - it's cheaper and better than the stuff at the school.
5. Find a group to study with. This will probably be a group of non-trads, but you may be surprised who you study with (I was). It's really good to study with a group a couple of days before exams, and it's even better if you can all get together at your house so you don't have to find a sitter. They'll all appreciate the homemade cookies if you happen to have some, and the different points of view and explaining of stuff is gold.
6. Make sure you do the little things for your husband and kids. I make latte' every day for my husband before work. I make sure groceries never run out. I make sure the kids' favorite cereals never run out. I keep healthy snacks in the refrigerator. I make as many little league games, plays, band concerts, etc. as possible (but I take a small book or notes along to study before it starts and for intermissions). I made sure homework was done and any questions answered. I met with teachers. I took kids to doctor's appointments -- me, not my husband. That was important for some reason to me.
7. figure out really fast how you study best. This is a whole lot of information, and the faster you can assimilate it, the less you'll have to study, the more time you'll have with family. I am an auditory learner, so I made sure to attend every class. I didn't read as much as everyone else, but I listened to every word and it worked for me.
8. Play a game with the family at LEAST once a week. This is important. no med school. no studying. Games.
9. Guilt can be overwhelming. Get a cry pillow for when you feel overwhelmed. It helps.

The best thing about having a family is you have a slice of reality that is NOT med school. The worst thing is you have something pulling you away from med school. Everything suffers a little bit. But no one thing suffers too much. it's a fine balancing act, and many folks don't do it well. I've seen many marriages fail, students fail classes, students having to repeat years because they just couldn't balance the whole thing well.

It's like having a dozen plates spinning on little poles... if one comes crashing down it takes at least one other with it. you need to figure out how to keep all those plates spinning without dropping any of them. It's totally possible to do decently in school and still be wife and mom. But it isn't easy. Good luck, and keep in touch.

Wow...thanks for that awesome insight...It makes me feel good to know that someone else can relate exactly how I feel...As I read that it seemed like you were describing me...The bringing the kids to the MD is something I need to do as well as meeting with teachers, etc. I will definately keep in touch and my plan is to stay on top of everything...study everyday. Hopefully we can meet at school!
Thanks again....

Do you guys recommend getting the equipment before school or when school starts? And What equipment do you not recommend. I apologize if this question has already been asked.

1 Stethoscope (Cardiology III)

1 adult-size sphygmomanometer

Diagnostic Kit

Tunning Forks

Reflex hammer

Examination Gown

Pocket eye chart.

Thanks so much!

depends on how much money you want to spend. if you want the school kit, get nothing. If you want to shop around, get everything.

Do you guys recommend getting the equipment before school or when school starts? And What equipment do you not recommend. I apologize if this question has already been asked.

1 Stethoscope (Cardiology III)

1 adult-size sphygmomanometer

Diagnostic Kit

Tunning Forks

Reflex hammer

Examination Gown

Pocket eye chart.

Thanks so much!

Hullo 2012'ers!

Medical Equipment:
Wait and see what the school package "deal" is from the bookstore. If you really really want to get everything on your own...go for it. steeles.com has some great deals as well as allheart.com
You will not need your equipment right away. Your first week will be mostly intro to this that and the other thing. Back in fall 2006 when I started I did not use any of my equipment until possibly the 3rd or 4th week if I'm not mistaken.

Books:
During your Orientation sessions you will have a "what books worked for me" session. Everyone is different though so as Shyrem mentioned above, wait and see what books will work best for YOU. I found that Gray's Anatomy for students was a glorified paperweight. I LOVED Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy (Cadaveric pictures) and Clemente (artsy pictures). Netter's...meh...its OK. The Dissector is PRICELESS. Most of us would keep one in our dissecting drawer and another at home (so as not to get the cadaver grease everywhere).
Embryology: the powerpoints are essentially all that you will need for that course.
Physiology and Histology...again, crap shoot b/c different strokes for different folks. The Wheater's atlas is good. Functional Histo book is good b/c a lot of the questions are very similar to the ones on the exams.
Anyways, just my $0.02
I'm open to any questions anyone may have about being a new father during the first 2 years of med school. My wife and I have a 5-month old :)
I've also been very busy and active with Student Gov't and UNE as a whole. Feel free to PM, IM or e-mail me with any questions, comments, concerns.
Enjoy the rest of your summer! You start very very soon!!
Cheers,
Stevo

Fozzie, do yourself a favor and start studying for boards NOW. like RIGHT NOW. I am not kidding. They suck... and this from a student who didn't fail a single class, no retakes. They SUCK. And (again voice of experience) with a family running around, you'll need more time than the fabulous 4 weeks (if you get the latest test date) they will give you at the end of second year.

Not sure how many incoming MS-1's are Jewish, but did anybody else notice that they scheduled the White Coat Ceremony on Yom Kippur? For those who may not know, this is the most holy day of the year and we are not supposed to eat, drink, or really do anything besides to go temple.
I can't believe that such a huge oversight was made, it is quite insulting! Is there anything that can be done?

On the other hand, tho, what are you going to do when rotations come around? People get sick and need doctors no matter what day of the year it is. You'll see a lot of christians working christmas day, ash wednesday, and easter. Perhaps you also need to have a talk with your rabbi about the situation.

Yom Kippur is really the only day that I observe not working or eating or anything like that. Also I think it is one thing for me to be in a hospital, another to ask my family to join. I'm sure there are plenty of Jewish med students and doctors who work around Yom Kippur.

Sorry Shyrem! I wasnt trying to be cocky, I was just saying I shouldnt have a problem with those hopefully since I worked cardio and er, but Im saying this with a grain of salt lol, as believe I know, how difficult the stuff can be, our PA proffesors where I went were nautzies! But I most deffinately will probabley have trouble with bact, it was horrible in pa school, and from the sounds of it, it sounds like its not too much better in med school.:)

On the other hand, tho, what are you going to do when rotations come around? People get sick and need doctors no matter what day of the year it is. You'll see a lot of christians working christmas day, ash wednesday, and easter. Perhaps you also need to have a talk with your rabbi about the situation.

I do not mean to degrade any importance of those holidays, but I think Yom Kippur is different because it explicitly requires us to not work, eat, drink or really do anything. I also think the reaction would be much different if this was scheduled on Christmas or another day mentioned above. Would graduation day ever be held on Easter?
I'll have to talk to somebody to see if travel and attending the ceremony sans consumption would be acceptable. Still, I think scheduling this event on a Thursday of all days, on the worst possible day for jews is quite the oversight. Again if it was just about me I would not be so upset, but the fact that it is a potential family event really bothers me.

Update: Yom Kippur only lasts until sundown on October 9th, which will be at 6:08P. Last year's WCC started at 7P, there may be hope yet!

It shouls still start at 7pm, I would think. They just ask that you be there a bitearly to get ready.

I didn't mean to offend either... and FWIW I didn't invite my family to white coat. they're from out of town and I just didn't feel it was worth it. My husband came with me to my white coat and we both agreed it was a total waste of his time.

I've had things scheduled on Easter weekend (but I'm not particularly religious, so I didn't care). I think it must be terribly difficult to schedule stuff around everyone's religion, the event center schedule, classes, etc. Not a job I think i'd want to handle myself. :laugh:

If I recall, WCC started at 7pm, but they wanted us there at 5pm or so to check in, etc. And afterwards there's food and beverages downstairs for the students and staff. Talk to Dean Kelley and your rabbi and see if you can figure stuff out. You'll also have classes that day (you would normally be elbow deep in anatomy, but they're revamping the curriculum for your class so I'm not sure what your schedule will look like).

You know, multi-cultural and religious topics are always tricky. There are always going to be mishaps and mistakes, and all we can do is speak for those instances where we feel it is important. I agree, Yom Kippur is a biggie. They didn't put "high" in front of the holiday for nothing. My husband and some other family/friends came to my white coat, and they all loved it. So, the experience is different for everyone. Regardless, you should have the option either way. I'm sure what happened is it is on the same day as every year, the thurs. before oct. break, and no one thought to cross-reference the date. Whoops.

As far as classes go, you don't appear to have anatomy, just physio and biochem. Physio will be scribed, and biochem is flexible for such an occasion, as long as there isn't a quiz. If there happens to be, talk with Dr. Thompson and I'm sure she'll rearrange the dates. They had to do it for snow days, it should be possible. Plenty of people don't come to class for Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur.

Not sure how many incoming MS-1's are Jewish, but did anybody else notice that they scheduled the White Coat Ceremony on Yom Kippur? For those who may not know, this is the most holy day of the year and we are not supposed to eat, drink, or really do anything besides to go temple.
I can't believe that such a huge oversight was made, it is quite insulting! Is there anything that can be done?

Please do not feel or take this as an insult. This was an accidental oversight considering White Coat has been on the same Thursday in October for the past few years. The Jewish calendar is not on the same schedule so yes it is a bummer that the White Coat will conflict (sort of) with Yom Kippur. White Coat traditionally starts at 7:00PM well after sunset here in Maine in October. RSAS has been aware of this conflict for the past month or so and has been diligently working on how to best accommodate our fellow Jewish UNECOM students, faculty, staff and family members. :). Shyrem has the right idea, contact RSAS with your concerns. Dean Kelley and the RSAS team are on it! We had one of the Anatomy Fellows in the office this morning trying to find out his/her options for White Coat and observing Yom Kippur. It will work out, just chillax for a bit.
-S

Last edited:
Thanks Fozzie, it is comforting to know that they are aware and on the case.

Shy, I didn't take any offense, no worries!

You know, multi-cultural and religious topics are always tricky. There are always going to be mishaps and mistakes, and all we can do is speak for those instances where we feel it is important. I agree, Yom Kippur is a biggie. They didn't put "high" in front of the holiday for nothing. My husband and some other family/friends came to my white coat, and they all loved it. So, the experience is different for everyone. Regardless, you should have the option either way. I'm sure what happened is it is on the same day as every year, the thurs. before oct. break, and no one thought to cross-reference the date. Whoops.

As far as classes go, you don't appear to have anatomy, just physio and biochem. Physio will be scribed, and biochem is flexible for such an occasion, as long as there isn't a quiz. If there happens to be, talk with Dr. Thompson and I'm sure she'll rearrange the dates. They had to do it for snow days, it should be possible. Plenty of people don't come to class for Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur.

How do you know what the schedule will be already? I have been signing onto to U-Online and it doesn't have any detailed schedules up yet. Is there another place where I can find it?

How do you know what the schedule will be already? I have been signing onto to U-Online and it doesn't have any detailed schedules up yet. Is there another place where I can find it?

You'll receive a detailed schedule during Orientation. The schedule is not 100% finalized as of yet due to some tweaking. Just hang tight til August 4th. :)
-S