UNECOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Gary..see you on the rafting trip?

Members don't see this ad.

i will be there. i went last year and it was a lot of fun and definitely a more relaxed atmosphere to meet people than during the official orientation. keep your fingers crossed for some good weather.

I am not a formal member of this thread (Hopeuflly for 2013!!) however, I was wondering if some of you along with some of the current students could give me some answers/advice

I have been looking into UNECOM for a few months now. I have talked to people in the admissions/diversity offices with 1000 questions and while they have been extreamly helpful I wanted to get some of your opinions. My first question is how much clinical exposure can 1st and 2nd year students get. I am not looking to do amazing things and be a pretend doctor , I was just wondering if there are any close clinics or hospitals where students are encouraged to volunteer and get some patient exposure instead of just reading and taking tests for the first two years.

Regarding the clinical years can somebody go into a little more detail regarding the sites? Are they more rural/ metropolitan or a mixture of both. I get the impression that new england is not an extreamly diverse area (this is just based of what I have been told on the phone) but I wanted to get your opinions on this. I am hispanic myslef and was just curious if there are some rotation sites wehre there is more exposure to underprivaledged minorities.

My third question ( and the dumbest one.. but I have to ask). How many people play soccer up there. I knwo its silly, but ... I love it. Are there any leagues or pickup games in the area?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been looking into UNECOM for a few months now. I have talked to people in the admissions/diversity offices with 1000 questions and while they have been extreamly helpful I wanted to get some of your opinions. My first question is how much clinical exposure can 1st and 2nd year students get. I am not looking to do amazing things and be a pretend doctor , I was just wondering if there are any close clinics or hospitals where students are encouraged to volunteer and get some patient exposure instead of just reading and taking tests for the first two years.

Regarding the clinical years can somebody go into a little more detail regarding the sites? Are they more rural/ metropolitan or a mixture of both. I get the impression that new england is not an extreamly diverse area (this is just based of what I have been told on the phone) but I wanted to get your opinions on this. I am hispanic myslef and was just curious if there are some rotation sites wehre there is more exposure to underprivaledged minorities.

My third question ( and the dumbest one.. but I have to ask). How many people play soccer up there. I knwo its silly, but ... I love it. Are there any leagues or pickup games in the area?
You'd probably have lots of your questions answered in the UNECOM discussion threads. However, in the first two years you have preceptorships where you work with varying physicians and specialties. Volunteer opportunities are available.. see clinical affairs office.

Regarding clinical years, see this website: http://www.une.edu/com/clinical/. No one at UNE has been to all the rotation sites (except the Dean), so this website will list all the sites and you can look around (which is basically what those of us unfamiliar with the sites did). The clinical years site can probably answer most of your questions (if not all), including the AHEC rotation.

As for soccer - sorry, but no clue. Try a search for soccer leagues in southern Maine.

Hey all...I just ordered my Mac book Pro laptop. FYI...There is a special for a free touch ipod or nano with every laptop purchase....Good deal!!! If you go on the appple site you can save a considerably significant amount of $$ by purchasing under UNECOM

Hey all...I just ordered my Mac book Pro laptop. FYI...There is a special for a free touch ipod or nano with every laptop purchase....Good deal!!! If you go on the appple site you can save a considerably significant amount of $$ by purchasing under UNECOM

Brilliant Choice! Welcome to the Mac family :D

I too just bought a macbook but it is my 3rd apple computer. I love them. Very reliable, fast computers. See everyone next week at the rafting trip.

It should be here tomorrow....I hope it is easy to learn considering school is next week!!! OMG! I can't believe it...see ya'll on thursday....

Don't freak out :)

just bring your check book and make sure you have money in the bank
there will be a lot of activity, clubs to join sign-up, and pictures taken, photo ID, and orientation activities all starting next week hahaha :)

i wish i was a first year now :( damnit

yeah life was simple back then....

I had so much drive, took on everything, doesn't matter how hard the tests were....

now, after two years of that.. i'm pretty beat down.. if i see another test i'd throw up heh.. and have developed allergy to tests.....some sort of fast and furious hypersensitivity. So in the spirit of USMLE, for the type of hypersenstivity that this patient has, what would be the drug of choice to alieviate his allergy?

A) Benadryl
B) Prazosin
C) Monteleukast
D) Albuterol inhaler
E) Zyrtec
F) Propanolol
G) Loratadine
H) Steroid
I) Cyclosporine

if the above patient has BPH what would be the drug of choice?

heh

J) none of the above. Go have a beer.

:D

Just think - now we just have shelf exams!!! :rolleyes: And of course BOARDS. :p

yeah life was simple back then....

I had so much drive, took on everything, doesn't matter how hard the tests were....

now, after two years of that.. i'm pretty beat down.. if i see another test i'd throw up heh.. and have developed allergy to tests.....some sort of fast and furious hypersensitivity. So in the spirit of USMLE, for the type of hypersenstivity that this patient has, what would be the drug of choice to alieviate his allergy?

A) Benadryl
B) Prazosin
C) Monteleukast
D) Albuterol inhaler
E) Zyrtec
F) Propanolol
G) Loratadine
H) Steroid
I) Cyclosporine

if the above patient has BPH what would be the drug of choice?

heh

I'll take a shot in the dark here. I would say steroid for acute hypersensitivity. Propanolol might lower the BP (...?) but I didn't know it helped with allergies...?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ack, I hope someone else didn't already ask this, but I just noticed in the OL letter to our class that the dress code is business casual... I had read earlier this year that there wasn't much of a dress code for classes... that won't be changing, will it? Eep! I need to get a new wardrobe if so. I'm very much a jeans-wearer. :(

I was hoping that just meant for that day of orientation...?

Oops, I neglected to write that they'd said it was for orientation. My brain is all over the place these days! I'm just hoping that the dress code doesn't apply to regular class days!

Ok, you had me worried there for a second! I can't imagine they would enact a classroom dress code, though I do think that some schools do require either bus. casual or scrubs in class

There is a dress code at UNE: you must wear clothing. They frown on you going to class naked.

Seriously, I've seen sweats, shorts, jeans, scrubs, suits, you name it. Just wear clothes.

Fabulous, that makes me feel much better. Thanks, ShyRem!

Oh and thanks, Shyrem for all your time and help! Im sure we will all be great docs one day, hell we'll probabley even call each other for consults lol!:cool: Speaking of has anyone figured out there specialties yet? I hopefully want to do probabley IM-Peds, maybe surgery, I though about er, but I dont want to be stuck there for ever, maybe work in a small town in maine and do ER on the side as an internist!

80% of all med students change their minds about what kind of medicine they want to practice. Keep an open mind. For me it was best to figure out what I didn't want to do. There's an awful lot out there you really haven't been exposed to yet.

Thank you!!!

Hullo 2012'ers!

Medical Equipment:
Wait and see what the school package "deal" is from the bookstore. If you really really want to get everything on your own...go for it. steeles.com has some great deals as well as allheart.com
You will not need your equipment right away. Your first week will be mostly intro to this that and the other thing. Back in fall 2006 when I started I did not use any of my equipment until possibly the 3rd or 4th week if I'm not mistaken.

Books:
During your Orientation sessions you will have a "what books worked for me" session. Everyone is different though so as Shyrem mentioned above, wait and see what books will work best for YOU. I found that Gray's Anatomy for students was a glorified paperweight. I LOVED Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy (Cadaveric pictures) and Clemente (artsy pictures). Netter's...meh...its OK. The Dissector is PRICELESS. Most of us would keep one in our dissecting drawer and another at home (so as not to get the cadaver grease everywhere).
Embryology: the powerpoints are essentially all that you will need for that course.
Physiology and Histology...again, crap shoot b/c different strokes for different folks. The Wheater's atlas is good. Functional Histo book is good b/c a lot of the questions are very similar to the ones on the exams.
Anyways, just my $0.02
I'm open to any questions anyone may have about being a new father during the first 2 years of med school. My wife and I have a 5-month old :)
I've also been very busy and active with Student Gov't and UNE as a whole. Feel free to PM, IM or e-mail me with any questions, comments, concerns.
Enjoy the rest of your summer! You start very very soon!!
Cheers,
Stevo

Hey troops,

The diagnostic kit from the school is good but insanely over priced (like price gouging-ly over priced). You'd be better off buying individually online. That's what I did and it saved me a few hundred (yes, HUNDRED!) bucks.

As for diagnostic kits: If it's not Welch Allyn, you just bought a piece of garbage, btw. That being said, I am in my residency right now and have 2 diagnostic kits (short for: ophthalmoscope/otoscope set up) for sale. One is the super sweet PanOptic from Welch Allyn, (which I think in time will be the only thing used) and a normal Coax type also from Welch Allyn.

I also have 2 entire medical bag/tuning fork/reflex hammer/ Rosenbaum chart/etc set ups for sale. It's all top of the line stuff, some of it new in the box or opened but never used.

I just want to get rid of this stuff to pay for my new Mack-a-docious Flat Screen TV. Further proof, that residency ain't so bad. Hang in there, you'll make it.

Email me ([email protected]) and make me an offer.