UNECOM vs RVU-UT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlccreepwaterfalls

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to UNECOM, and I have an upcoming interview at RVU-UT. I loved UNECOM, and i’m very excited about this RVU-UT interview. If accepted to both which would you choose and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted to UNECOM, and I have an upcoming interview at RVU-UT. I loved UNECOM, and i’m very excited about this RVU-UT interview. If accepted to both which would you choose and why?

where do you live normally? I doubt either has an advantage unless you wanna end up in the northeast. RVU utah probably has trash rotation sites FYI.

where do you live normally? I doubt either has an advantage unless you wanna end up in the northeast. RVU utah probably has trash rotation sites FYI.
I live on the east coast, so I wouldn’t mind staying here. I have family in Utah so I do like that too.

I live on the east coast, so I wouldn’t mind staying here. I have family in Utah so I do like that too.

I would say east coast ties win because you don't know where RVU will ship you off to after your 2 years (which go by very fast) for rotations

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say east coast ties win because you don't know where RVU will ship you off to after your 2 years (which go by very fast) for rotations
Yeah
I haven’t been able to find anything about the rotations at rvu, so I am concerned about that. On the plus side I know they prepare their students very well for boards!

Yeah
I haven’t been able to find anything about the rotations at rvu, so I am concerned about that. On the plus side, I know they prepare their students very well for boards!

FYI - RVU-SU rotation sites are actually going to be much better than anticipated. Just compared to last year they have more than doubled there sites. You will most likely have to move to Salt Lake City, Ogden or Provo but there is still a decent amount of students that will be able to stay in the greater St. George area. Rotations were one of the biggest concerns I had before moving forward with RVU, they have squashed those concerns. I picked them over two other acceptances and canceled 6 interviews after getting accepted to my top 3 DO programs. It's worth the trip and so far I am happy with the education, just a little sick of studying. Hence why I am here.

FYI - RVU-SU rotation sites are actually going to be much better than anticipated. Just compared to last year they have more than doubled there sites. You will most likely have to move to Salt Lake City, Ogden or Provo but there is still a decent amount of students that will be able to stay in the greater St. George area. Rotations were one of the biggest concerns I had before moving forward with RVU, they have squashed those concerns. I picked them over two other acceptances and canceled 6 interviews after getting accepted to my top 3 DO programs. It's worth the trip and so far I am happy with the education, just a little sick of studying. Hence why I am here.
Yeah, I interviewed and loved the school. This is going to be a tough decision. They also squashed my concerns of rotations.

I have been accepted to both UNECOM and RVU-UT. Thoughts on which to attend?

I'm leaning towards UNECOM primarily because it's more established, whereas RVU-UT hasn't even had anyone match into residencies yet. UNECOM is also a 5 hour drive to my home state. I'm hesitating with UNECOM because of the (somewhat) mandatory lectures.

UNECOM
More traditional style curriculum than RVU (biomed curriculum 1st year w/some systems and then systems 2nd year)
Tuition ~$55,000

Pros:

Great research opportunities
Well-established
Lots of different club/EC opportunities and tracks
Great clinical rotations, and I can rotate in my home state

5 hour drive from home state/rotations in home state
More populated than RVU area, I think I'd enjoy living here more
Undergrad campus
I like the environment and love the East Coast

Cons
Somewhat (?) mandatory lectures
3rd and 4th year rotations are away from the campus, have to move for those years
More geared towards primary care

COLD
Expensive area

RVU
Systems based curriculum both years
Tuition ~$54,000

Pros:
Geared towards making best med students/USMLE/COMLEX scores possible to give us better chance to match into what we want (dean made a point to mention the merger and how he wants to help give us as much opportunity for residencies as possible with this merger in mind)
No mandatory lectures
Rotations at great areas in Utah, supposed to be very strong rotations
Easy to work with faculty
Various tracks offered
Rotations in similar areas, lower chance of moving for rotations

Family in northern Utah
Lost of outdoor stuff, warm year round
Cheap area

Cons:
Very new, no match rates yet
No research
Long school year
Half of lectures streamed from Colorado campus (although we can still interact via microphone in classroom)
For profit

High married student population
Far from home/where I want to practice
Middle of nowhere, low population

I'm leaning towards UNECOM primarily because it's more established, whereas RVU-UT hasn't even had anyone match into residencies yet. UNECOM is also a 5 hour drive to my home state. I'm hesitating with UNECOM because of the (somewhat) mandatory lectures.

UNECOM
More traditional style curriculum than RVU (biomed curriculum 1st year w/some systems and then systems 2nd year)
Tuition ~$55,000

Pros:

Well-established

Undergrad campus

Cons
3rd and 4th year rotations are away from the campus, have to move for those years

COLD
Expensive area

RVU
Tuition ~$54,000

Pros:
Geared towards making best med students/USMLE/COMLEX scores possible to give us better chance to match into what we want (dean made a point to mention the merger and how he wants to help give us as much opportunity for residencies as possible with this merger in mind)
No mandatory lectures
Various tracks offered

Family in northern Utah
Cheap area

Cons:
No research
Long school year
Half of lectures streamed from Colorado campus (although we can still interact via microphone in classroom)
For profit

@Goro if it doesn't bother you too much, I would love to know your thoughts on this

UNECOM
Tuition ~$55,000

Pros:

Well-established

Undergrad campus

Cons

COLD
Expensive area

RVU
Tuition ~$54,000

Pros:
No mandatory lectures
Various tracks offered

Family in northern Utah
Cheap area

Cons:
No research
Long school year
For profit

UNE. The semi-mandatory lectures are annoying, but the pluses outweigh the minuses, particularly with regard to family proximity and general vibe

Have you checked the UNE forum for this year? Looks like the school is trying to burn their 2nd years alive. I wouldnt touch that school with a ten foot poll.

@Goro

Do you think the fact that UNECOM is more established is such a big factor to keep in mind? Especially considering everything going on at UNE right now and the fact RVU-UT doesn't have mandatory attendance.

When you say it's better to go to a more established school like UNECOM (even though RVU-CO is established, yet RVU-UT is new), is this primarily because the administration has had more time to work through major issues? Rotations are solid? Other reasons as well?

@Goro

Do you think the fact that UNECOM is more established is such a big factor to keep in mind? Especially considering everything going on at UNE right now and the fact RVU-UT doesn't have mandatory attendance.

When you say it's better to go to a more established school like UNECOM (even though RVU-CO is established, yet RVU-UT is new), is this primarily because the administration has had more time to work through major issues? Rotations are solid? Other reasons as well?
Yup