UNECOM vs Western COMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlccreepwaterfalls

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got into UNECOM, have upcoming Western Comp interview. Worth interviewing?

UNECOM

Pros:

• Good research opportunities
  • Decent clinical rotations, and I can rotate in my home state
  • 6 hour drive from home state
  • Cheaper cost of living
Cons
  • More (?) mandatory lectures, students and administration having issues currently
  • 3rd and 4th year rotations are away from the campus, have to move for those years
  • More geared towards primary care

Western COMP

Pros
  • Semi-mandatory attendance
  • New curriculum (possibly con)
  • Living in California could be enjoyable
Cons
  • huge move (across the country), only have family ties a few states over from Cali
  • not the best rotation locations (I have gathered from previous SDN posts)
  • higher cost of living

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to see another program before making your decision at UNECOM, I'd say go to the interview because it may change your mind down the road. @tlccreepwaterfalls

I like UNECOM, I just wasn't sure if one was significantly better than the other. On paper UNECOM seems to be a bit better, but I'm having a hard time really evaluating the two comparatively.

I attended an interview at UNECOM and Western PNW. I think Western has a better match list. Otherwise, I would say it's comparing apples to apples. One thing I liked about UNE is that you have access to the amenities of an undergrad school (didn't have those at Western PNW, not sure about Pomona). I don't think there is a significant difference otherwise. I would base a decision off cost and where you want to live for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I attended an interview at UNECOM and Western PNW. I think Western has a better match list. Otherwise, I would say it's comparing apples to apples. One thing I liked about UNE is that you have access to the amenities of an undergrad school (didn't have those at Western PNW, not sure about Pomona). I don't think there is a significant difference otherwise. I would base a decision off cost and where you want to live for 4 years.

From what I understand UNECOM has more mandatory hours than Western COMP, which is why I was still considering Pomona. I've been on the East Coast my whole life so I don't really know what I'd be getting myself into living in Cali... location doesn't really matter to me, but having a support system on the East Coast might be helpful. I'm trying to pick the school that will give me the greatest chance of matching into a specialty.

From what I understand UNECOM has more mandatory hours than Western COMP, which is why I was still considering Pomona. I've been on the East Coast my whole life so I don't really know what I'd be getting myself into living in Cali... location doesn't really matter to me, but having a support system on the East Coast might be helpful. I'm trying to pick the school that will give me the greatest chance of matching into a specialty.

I would personally choose western for chances of matching into more competitive specialities. From my understanding that is what they’re known for. I’d go to the interview. https://prospective.westernu.edu/media/osteopathic/do/pdfs/comp-potential-residency-sites.pdf