Unemployed due to SCOTUS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That’s the second time you’ve posted that chart. What happens after 10 weeks and what is the end game? If it drops to 30% after 20 weeks, you recommend another booster?
Israel is on fire with Covid as the most vaccinated and boosted nation in the world.

You say all of these are false equivalencies because it takes 10 minutes to get a vaccine and years to get obese or cirrhotic. Others have said that it’s not the same because they are infectious and a risk to healthcare workers. Should we refuse care to HIV positive patients. The majority of them made a terrible decision and got infected and they put us at higher risk. Or should we take precautions and treat them despite their bad decisions?

Do HIV patients prevent others from getting healthcare?

Again, if they weren't filling up hospitals and icus and choking out the system with their unvacc'd covid death grip (pun intended) I doubt anyone would care.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
This whole debate is silly.

Of course we should be civil to each other (even to the anti-vaxxers) - because it doesn’t help to be otherwise and we are professionals.

On the other hand, we should be brutal with the penalties/policies for antivaxxers. IMO no flying, no travel on trains, no concerts/games, no school and no payment for hospital bills (and no employment).

People respond to incentives, not angry yelling. There are also lot of people who also don’t want to pay taxes— but they do or otherwise they go to jail.

Very easy to say you are anti-vax. Harder to hold that line when you lose your job and live like a hermit. THAT should be the (very polite civil) dialogue we should be having.

Reactions: 6 users
So, a healthcare provider with proof of antobodies to Covid 19 and who has been sick with Delta as well as Omicron should be fired from their job? On what scientific basis should this person lose their job? SCOTUS rules 5-4 so the CMS mandate is in effect. If they had ruled 5-4 in the opposite way I seriously doubt any of you hardcore liberals would be agreeing with that verdict. There is no basis for forcing this vaccine on anyone against their will as Omicron is just as much a threat to every person. While I don't agree with a person's decision to not get vaccinated I believe that choice is their right.

The courts still need to rule on the those healthcare workers who get fired over this CMS mandate. I wouldn't bet against a conservative court ruling in favor of healthcare workers who can prove immunity to Covid 19 and documented evidence of infection. Those cases are coming and hospitals along with CMS could lose millions in lawsuits.
Previous infection has very little protection against future infection from what I’ve seen, many people have had it twice by now. Same policy as all vaccinations in healthcare. If you had varicella you have to show titers or be vaccinated. COVID is just not generating natural immunity

Members don't see this ad :)
Previous infection has very little protection against future infection from what I’ve seen, many people have had it twice by now. Same policy as all vaccinations in healthcare. If you had varicella you have to show titers or be vaccinated. COVID is just not generating natural immunity

Of course it generates natural immunity. It is just a different variant that gets you next time. Like you can get a cold but you can get a cold again. It's not from not generating immune cells.

Reactions: 1 user
What a convenient question about the end game now that we missed the window to get everyone vaccinated at a time when 2 shots were 70-90% effective at preventing infection let alone hospitalization.

Omicron has a high enough R0 that it's reasonable to speculate it won't be replaced by another variant and it will become endemic. The end game is getting everyone boosted until an omicron specific vaccine is released +- a nasopharygeal spray vaccine. Some vaccinologists have pointed out that inducing a strong iga response in the mucosa and eliminating the virus in the upper airways before it could spread lower may have been much more effective than serum immunity.

And beyond the fact that I never said we shouldn't treat unvaccinated covid pts, your HIV analogy is a poor one. 1. There is no vaccine for HIV. 2. HIV is not a highly contagious airborne virus with an R0 close to measles. 3. HIV pts are not stuffing up hospitals, taking up every ICU bed, delaying care for those with other conditions, prompting lockdowns, and causing a mass exodus in healthcare

@Gern Blansten
If you read Verghese’s My Own Country, there were certainly hospitals in America that had ICUs full of patients with fulminant pneumonia as a result of AIDS and a whole bunch of uncertainty about what the cause was and how it was transmitted. Fauci was around at that time and missed quite a bit on that one as well.
I saw on the news that Howard Stern has stated that unvaccinated with Covid should not be allowed in hospitals.
I’m sorry that I don’t believe that “we missed the window of opportunity “ with this virus. Higher vax rates could have saved a lot of lives but it would have still mutated and would still be here no matter what. The virus is going to do what the virus is going to do. All we can do is protect ourselves and mitigate as best we can. A 100% vaccination rate was never going to be possible. It’s just not realistic and we need to deal with that fact. Though it has been mentioned twice, no one has touched the fact that Israel is in the middle of the highest case rate of Covid since this started despite being about as high a vax rate and booster rate as any society could reasonably expect to have. The virus is going to do what it does.
Who would we direct our anger at if we had a >90% vaccination rate and we had numbers as high as Israel does? I don’t watch news from over there so I have no idea who their doctors and politicians are pissed off at.
Vaccines are great and I feel like they have protected me and my family at a time when we were vulnerable. But, again, the argument always comes from a point of view that, had everyone gotten vaccinated, this whole thing would be over now. I don’t think I believe there is anything to suggest that this is true. Israel is the poster child for vaccine compliance. How do you explain their situation?
Everyone just argues their side of the story and says any other opinion is false because they say it is. Real science asks the tough questions and then has a real debate considering other possible reasons why things may be the way they are. Science in the Covid era and in here seems to be about shouting down opinions that don’t agree 100% with the message that is accepted as fact.
I will be interested to look back 5-10 years from now about how this entire last two years was managed both in the medical field and in society. I think it will be seen as a very dark time in society and a time when people on both sides showed their true colors.
I suspect that much of what is accepted as dogma today will not stand in coming years. Heck, we’ve watched it happen repeatedly in a compressed two years. Some have not seen it because they have closed their minds to even considering that their ideas may not be true.

Last edited:

Of course we should be civil to each other (even to the anti-vaxxers) - because it doesn’t help to be otherwise and we are professionals.

On the other hand, we should be brutal with the penalties/policies for antivaxxers. IMO no flying, no travel on trains, no concerts/games, no school and no payment for hospital bills (and no employment).

People respond to incentives, not angry yelling. There are also lot of people who also don’t want to pay taxes— but they do or otherwise they go to jail.

Very easy to say you are anti-vax. Harder to hold that line when you lose your job and live like a hermit. THAT should be the (very polite civil) dialogue we should be having.
Your first point. Being civil to anti vaxxers. Most here disagree with your assessment as shown by the responses.
Your second point. Do you think it is wise to allow the government that much control over the lives of each individual? Do we trust them to do the right thing today, tomorrow, two years from now? Power over a populous can be quite intoxicating. There are certainly many examples in history that should give pause regarding government having total control of who can travel, who can eat, who can buy groceries, etc. Reading your plan to relinquish everything to the control of others certainly gives me a bit of pause. I would not trust anyone in the government to baby sit my kids, much less have complete control over my entire life. That seems a bit too far. I can’t be the only one who would not want to see that kind of centralized government tyranny.
Jefferson famously said:
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”
I know, it’s no longer okay to quote Jefferson…

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Thomas Jefferson also owned slaves, so I’m not buying his definition of essential liberty. Even so, Benjamin Franklin said that quote you referenced and that was over land taxes:

Last edited:
. @Gern Blansten HIV is not comparable to covid, fullstop. And until you can mention another airborne communicable disease, with a freely available effective vaccine, which shut down the entire country for a period of months and continued to overwhelm thousands of hospitals for two years, your analogies will continue to remain poor.

Also, Israel has been brought up multiple times. They are not a vaccination poster child for the entire world when it comes to the population as a whole. Their vax rate is barely more than ours

Screenshot_20220120-045827_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thomas Jefferson also owned slaves, so I’m not buying his definition of essential liberty. Even so, Benjamin Franklin said that quote you referenced and that was over land taxes:

Yes. I had it narrowed down to Franklin or Jefferson and my last sentence addressed that I know many have attempted to cancel anything related to Jefferson. I knew that would be the first response. I guess anything Jefferson had a hand in is now null and void.
The quote is still the quote even if it is applied to a different issue and the author of the quote mistaken.

. @Gern Blansten HIV is not comparable to covid, fullstop. And until you can mention another airborne communicable disease, with a freely available effective vaccine, which shut down the entire country for a period of months and continued to overwhelm thousands of hospitals for two years, your analogies will continue to remain poor.

Also, Israel has been brought up multiple times. They are not a vaccination poster child for the entire world when it comes to the population as a whole. Their vax rate is barely more than ours

View attachment 348610
A different forum that I post on has banned the use of the phrase “full stop” because the only person there that uses it is such a complete beating. So, I found that humorous.

You know what they say about statistics and manipulation of them. Reuters reports the following:

Attachments

• 6275E12F-7E68-4D3B-B4C2-309C7D0A4E75.png
    6275E12F-7E68-4D3B-B4C2-309C7D0A4E75.png
    176.1 KB · Views: 54
A different forum that I post on has banned the use of the phrase “full stop” because the only person there that uses it is such a complete beating. So, I found that humorous.

You know what they say about statistics and manipulation of them. Reuters reports the following:

Weren’t they the ones who is about to roll out the 4th dose that some people are so vehemently oppose?

If people didn’t get three doses already, how do they get a fourth one? Using two dose schedule for Israel is at best misguided.

By that logic, US has achieved 80% vaccination rate.

IMG_0410.png

Yes! We can finally reopen safely…..

Weren’t they the ones who is about to roll out the 4th dose that some people are so vehemently oppose?

If people didn’t get three doses already, how do they get a fourth one? Using two dose schedule for Israel is at best misguided.

By that logic, US has achieved 80% vaccination rate.

View attachment 348612

Yes! We can finally reopen safely…..
This may come as a complete shock to you, but most of the country has been “open” for a year and a half. Find where the politicians vacation if you need help.

Reactions: 1 users
This may come as a complete shock to you, but most of the country has been “open” for a year and a half. Find where the politicians vacation if you need help.

I am not shocked, but glad that I am not a politician nor I operate with the same principles.

My family and I have been very careful, certainly to preserve our own health and hoping others won’t get COVID from us. When my kid (who is younger than 12 and fully vaccinated) is out and about will still put on a mask. I think that’s the least that we can do for our fellow human beings and pay respect to others; our own actions will have consequences, even though we may not be there to witness it.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not shocked, but glad that I am not a politician nor I operate with the same principles.

My family and I have been very careful, certainly to preserve our own health and hoping others won’t get COVID from us. When my kid (who is younger than 12 and fully vaccinated) is out and about will still put on a mask. I think that’s the least that we can do for our fellow human beings and pay respect to others; our own actions will have consequences, even though we may not be there to witness it.
You sound very reasonable and considerate of your fellow Americans.

It doesn’t sound like much of a sacrifice to do the right thing by limiting the risks of exposure but alas, here we are.

Just curious, what does your family do in restaurants? Do you wear the mask to the table and then unmask for the next hour and then put the mask back on as you exit the restaurant? Do you think that is effective or is it for show? I see that all of the time and I just can’t see that it has any effect except to keep people from yelling at you. With my limited understanding of viral particle size and how viruses spread as well as airflow in an enclosed space, it seems like theater to me.
The safest way to do the right thing is probably to stay home completely if you have strong feelings in that regard. But then, how do we move forward.
Some will stay home and isolate, but use food delivery apps to have people they don’t know bring them food prepared by people they don’t know. If we are truly in it for the welfare of humanity, why are we willing for others on the so-called front lines to be out and about all over town delivering food to us and others like us? If we do not really have concern for those “essential” employees, then why not just let them make their own choices and have their own freedoms?

Last edited:
You don't disagree.....but then you continued right on and decided to make the false equivalency. The "poor decisions" we tolerate come in degrees of severity, right? It's a "poor decision" that last Sunday I had dessert even though I was already full. The cirrhotic who I did an EGD on today made a "poor decision" by drinking 3 pints of cheap whisky a day for 15 years. Both of these "poor decisions" are not equivalent and should not be treated as such. The same goes for not spending 10 minutes to get a shot vs not beating a 20 year chronic disease that's known in the literature to be difficult to treat.

LOL, you're really gonna call it "the misinformation boogeyman"? Seriously? There's not really much of an honest debate to be had if you can't even acknowledge how much absolutely batsht flatout wrong nonsense pervades the internet and social media vis a vis covid and the vaccines.

As for the UK data:

View attachment 348574

2-10 weeks out those who have been boosted are still 50-70 percent less likely to get symptomatic omicron disease at all and are protected from hospitalization at ~90% efficacy.

Well you referred to stating that these papers showed negative efficacy against transmission as "misinformation." It's literally what they published. Offer all the rationalizations and explanations you want. But calling it "misinformation" because someone you don't agree with posted it somewhere online is a bit disingenuous.

1642692069523.png

No ones arguing that the vaccine doesn't protect against hospitalization. But isn't the rationale behind the CMS mandate and the multitude of state and local "Vaxpasses" etc that being vaccinated significantly reduces transmission? In your opinion what threshold of transmission reduction would justify these measures? We can argue all day about whether 2 shots reduces transmission by 0%, 15%, or 30%. In my opinion, none of those reductions justify them. The societal toxicity we're creating just isn't worth the benefit. Certainly boosting everyone would change this calculation but only ~1/3 the country is boosted and we seem to have already stalled near this threshold.

View attachment 348610

Didn't they change their definition of fully vaccinated? To be considered "fully vaccinated" requires a booster I think, otherwise you have "expired vaccines." They've certainly given out more boosters than most places.

1642693851871.png

There are now studies from at least 3 continents showing 2 doses of Pfizer provides negative efficacy with regards to infection. I find this....mechanistically puzzling and hard to believe, but also difficult to completely ignore at this point. So do these vaccines decrease transmission? I dunno, maybe a little for a while. Certainly not enough to merit the hysterics and vitriol that surround them these days.
Need links otherwise this is fake news. Thanks.

• Love
Well you referred to stating that these papers showed negative efficacy against transmission as "misinformation." It's literally what they published. Offer all the rationalizations and explanations you want. But calling it "misinformation" because someone you don't agree with posted it somewhere online is a bit disingenuous.
No, I referred to right wing social media about covid and vaccines as misinformation. Which it is. The study, itself, had the potential to be misleading and to be misterpreted by readers. Which one of the authors of the study says himself
-----

Claim vaccines increase susceptibility to omicron unfounded​

By ANGELO FICHERADecember 30, 2021

CLAIM: A new study found that, after 90 days, the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines increase the chances that someone who is vaccinated will be infected with the omicron variant.
AP’S

ASSESSMENT: Misleading. The observational study found that vaccines protect against infection from the variant but wanes over time, and protection is elevated with a booster. While the study results showed “negative” effectiveness 90 days after someone has been fully vaccinated with two doses, a study author and experts say that is likely the result of bias in the data, not an indication that vaccines are harming recipients.

THE FACTS: A new study, which assesses the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against infection with the omicron and delta variants in Denmark, is being cited online to erroneously suggest that it found the vaccines hurt more than they help against omicron.

Multiple conservative blogs ran headlines purporting that the study showed that, after 90 days, the vaccines “increase probability” of being infected with omicron, or make infection “more likely.”

One widely shared tweet claimed that the study “indicates that the mRNA vaccines protect for a few weeks only but then SIGNIFICANTLY AUGMENT Omicron infectivity.”

But one of the authors of the study says its findings are being misrepresented.

“Interpretation that our research is evidence of anything but a protective vaccine effect is misrepresentative,” co-author Christian Holm Hansen, a medical statistician and epidemiologist with the Statens Serum Institut in Denmark and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, told The Associated Press in an email.

----

You are persisting in propagating misinformation by saying a Canadian study or Danish study showed negative efficacy.

No ones arguing that the vaccine doesn't protect against hospitalization. But isn't the rationale behind the CMS mandate and the multitude of state and local "Vaxpasses" etc that being vaccinated significantly reduces transmission? In your opinion what threshold of transmission reduction would justify these measures? We can argue all day about whether 2 shots reduces transmission by 0%, 15%, or 30%. In my opinion, none of those reductions justify them. The societal toxicity we're creating just isn't worth the benefit. Certainly boosting everyone would change this calculation but only ~1/3 the country is boosted and we seem to have already stalled near this threshold.
The rationale behind the CMS mandate isn't just about transmission- it's also about reducing severe illness, hospitalization, and death in healthcare facility workers and nursing home workers. You can read the memoranda here Guidance for the Interim Final Rule - Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Omnibus COVID-19 Health Care Staff Vaccination | CMS

As far as your opinion of the toxicity creates, the largest healthcare employers disagree with you. Houston Methodist employs almost 25,000 people. About 150 quit when the mandate was implemented. And now essentially their entire workforce is protected from severe disease and death. The results speak for themselves.

• Love
Was there a specific refutation of the 5+ ways HIV is substantively different from covid in this paragraph.....or just a bunch of gum flapping?
From the Israeli Health Ministry, published in the Times of Israel

Screenshot-2021-12-17-at-10.11.53 (1).png

A Health Ministry graph, showing vaccination levels for the last six months. Dark green signifies fully vaccinated, light green denotes people who have vaccines that are considered expired and haven’t received a booster, and blue represents those who haven’t taken vaccines (Israel Ministry of Health)

About 45% of Israelis were boosted as of December. If the definition for full vaccination was three shots then the Our World in Data graph would show 45%, not 60ish%.

Was there a specific refutation of the 5+ ways HIV is substantively different from covid in this paragraph.....or just a bunch of gum flapping?
Would you rather be HIV+ or COVID+? (before you say false equivalency, just don't)

They are not equivalent but there are similarities to the early days of AIDS and the COVID pandemic, and Fauci was right in the middle of both.

Do you recall the early days of AIDS when it was unclear what was causing the disease and how it was transmitted? It was pretty much mass fear and hysteria in society. I was not in medicine yet at the time, but I am pretty sure that many healthcare workers did not want these patients in their buildings. Even to this day, in India (and likely other countries), people who are HIV+ are shunned from society and cannot receive health care. Much more is known about HIV now than was known then, so we protect ourselves, make good decisions and move along. That was not the case in the early days of panic.

Here is an article from the Wall Street Journal the describes the situation and how much was simply unknown:

Opinion | Unlearned AIDS Lessons for Covid

a quote from that WSJ article:

"One early alarmist was Anthony Fauci, who made national news in 1983 with an editorial in the Journal of the American Medical Association warning that AIDS could infect even children because of “the possibility that routine close contact, as within a family household, can spread the disease.” After criticism that he had inspired a wave of hysterical homophobia, Dr. Fauci (who in 1984 began his current job, as director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases), promptly pivoted 180 degrees, declaring less than two months after his piece appeared that it was “absolutely preposterous” to suggest AIDS could be spread by normal social contact. But other supposed experts went on warning erroneously that AIDS could spread widely via toilet seats, mosquito bites and kissing."

Here are Fauci's words from JAMA in 1983:

"The finding of AIDS in infants and children who are household contacts of patients with AIDS or persons with risks for AIDS has enormous implications with regard to ultimate transmissibility of this syndrome. First, it is possible that AIDS can be vertically transmitted. Perhaps even more important is the possibility that routine close contact, as within a family household, can spread the disease. If, indeed, the latter is true, then AIDS takes on an entirely new dimension. Given the fact that the incubation period for adults is believed to be longer than one year, the full impact of the syndrome among sexual contacts and recipients of potentially infective transfusions is uncertain at present. If we add to this the possibility that nonsexual, non-blood-borne transmission is possible, the scope of the syndrome may be enormous"
-AS Fauci. The Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome The Ever-Broadening Clinical Spectrum. JAMA, May 6th, 1983. Vol 249, No. 217

With regards to the "effective vaccine," some may have a different definition of effective. I believe it is effective because I believe it mostly keeps you from getting severe disease. The effectiveness has certainly shifted as the pandemic has progressed. Health leaders said early on, if you get the vaccine, you "will not get COVID." That was overpromising and under delivering. Certainly did not help sway the vaccine hesitant.

I admire you for your convictions but I think you are missing some of your blind spots by only considering the points of view that you agree with and "full stop" dismissing or shouting down anything that does not fit your narrative.

Gum flapping? You previously seemed like a nice guy, but I don't think you tolerate different points of view very well and I seem to have upset you quite a bit by offering up the viewpoints of many I know who do not wish to be vaccinated. I am getting a sense of why so many of everyone's patients are angry with them and treat them poorly. Patients want to be treated with respect and I sense from this thread that this may not happen as often as it should. At some point, one must recognize that the only common denominator in a certain physician's failed physician-patient relationships is the physician. I have seen it many times. Some people just do not know how to have a normal conversation with a patient. Patients want to know that you care about them. That is hard to fake. Patients know it when they are treated poorly and dismissed whether it is due to their disease, their political views, their race/gender etc. Add vaccine status to the list. As you read the comments on this thread, I think it is pretty clear that there are numerous people who have disdain for the very patients that they are asked (and paid) to care for. I understand the frustration that can occur with patients, but it does not make it right that you are allowed to treat them with disdain. Plus, being full of bitterness is a terrible way to live your lives. At some point, the realization has to set in that your viewpoint is not the only one that can be rational.

You sound very reasonable and considerate of your fellow Americans.

It doesn’t sound like much of a sacrifice to do the right thing by limiting the risks of exposure but alas, here we are.

As we can see from this whole thread. Reasonable and common sense no longer apply.

I am especially appalled when we are called to be compassionate yet unable to lead by examples. We are trained to be believers of science yet missing the forests for trees. We sitting here in “ivory towers” arguing the minutiae of the data, while the the world is crumbling.

I think the kids will ultimately be the ones who suffer the most, while the “adults” of the world **** up.

No, I referred to right wing social media about covid and vaccines as misinformation. Which it is. The study, itself, had the potential to be misleading and to be misterpreted by readers. Which one of the authors of the study says himself
-----

Claim vaccines increase susceptibility to omicron unfounded​

By ANGELO FICHERADecember 30, 2021

CLAIM: A new study found that, after 90 days, the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines increase the chances that someone who is vaccinated will be infected with the omicron variant.
AP’S

ASSESSMENT: Misleading. The observational study found that vaccines protect against infection from the variant but wanes over time, and protection is elevated with a booster. While the study results showed “negative” effectiveness 90 days after someone has been fully vaccinated with two doses, a study author and experts say that is likely the result of bias in the data, not an indication that vaccines are harming recipients.

THE FACTS: A new study, which assesses the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against infection with the omicron and delta variants in Denmark, is being cited online to erroneously suggest that it found the vaccines hurt more than they help against omicron.

Multiple conservative blogs ran headlines purporting that the study showed that, after 90 days, the vaccines “increase probability” of being infected with omicron, or make infection “more likely.”

One widely shared tweet claimed that the study “indicates that the mRNA vaccines protect for a few weeks only but then SIGNIFICANTLY AUGMENT Omicron infectivity.”

But one of the authors of the study says its findings are being misrepresented.

“Interpretation that our research is evidence of anything but a protective vaccine effect is misrepresentative,” co-author Christian Holm Hansen, a medical statistician and epidemiologist with the Statens Serum Institut in Denmark and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, told The Associated Press in an email.

----

You are persisting in propagating misinformation by saying a Canadian study or Danish study showed negative efficacy.

The rationale behind the CMS mandate isn't just about transmission- it's also about reducing severe illness, hospitalization, and death in healthcare facility workers and nursing home workers. You can read the memoranda here Guidance for the Interim Final Rule - Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Omnibus COVID-19 Health Care Staff Vaccination | CMS

As far as your opinion of the toxicity creates, the largest healthcare employers disagree with you. Houston Methodist employs almost 25,000 people. About 150 quit when the mandate was implemented. And now essentially their entire workforce is protected from severe disease and death. The results speak for themselves.
The toxicity I'm referring to has nothing to do with whats happening at Houston Methodist. It's the fact that ~30% of Democrats think unvaccinated parents should have their children taken away from them. It's the toxicity that had a major newspaper write an editorial calling for the national guard to keep unvaccinated people in their homes. It's the toxicity that has people cheering the deaths of unvaccinated people. That damage is going to take a long time to heal.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
The toxicity I'm referring to has nothing to do with whats happening at Houston Methodist. It's the fact that ~30% of Democrats think unvaccinated parents should have their children taken away from them. It's the toxicity that had a major newspaper write an editorial calling for the national guard to keep unvaccinated people in their homes. It's the toxicity that has people cheering the deaths of unvaccinated people. That damage is going to take a long time to heal.

The writer of this article operates from the premise that I have mentioned several times, yet has gone undefended. Many seem to believe that, if better vaccination rates had occurred, we would be done with COVID by now, such that, because COVID still exists, it is the fault of those who are unvaccinated. If you truly believe that, I understand why you would be pissed off at unvaccinated patients. I am disappointed, but not angry or harboring disdain because the vaccination rate was not higher. However, similarly, if you operate under that premise that COVID should be over and, because it isn't, it must be someone else's fault, I find it difficult to understand how, and on what basis, you have made that leap.

As you mentioned, the level of toxicity that has developed will take a long time to heal.

The writer of this article operates from the premise that I have mentioned several times, yet has gone undefended. Many seem to believe that, if better vaccination rates had occurred, we would be done with COVID by now, such that, because COVID still exists, it is the fault of those who are unvaccinated. If you truly believe that, I understand why you would be pissed off at unvaccinated patients. I am disappointed, but not angry or harboring disdain because the vaccination rate was not higher. However, similarly, if you operate under that premise that COVID should be over and, because it isn't, it must be someone else's fault, I find it difficult to understand how, and on what basis, you have made that leap.

As you mentioned, the level of toxicity that has developed will take a long time to heal.
Exactly, far too many people remain under the illusion, or delusion rather, that we ever had a chance of getting rid of COVID. I understand their anger, as detached from reality as their beliefs may be.

Would you rather be HIV+ or COVID+? (before you say false equivalency, just don't)
It's a false equivalency.
They are not equivalent but there are similarities to the early days of AIDS and the COVID pandemic, and Fauci was right in the middle of both.

Do you recall the early days of AIDS when it was unclear what was causing the disease and how it was transmitted? It was pretty much mass fear and hysteria in society. I was not in medicine yet at the time, but I am pretty sure that many healthcare workers did not want these patients in their buildings. Even to this day, in India (and likely other countries), people who are HIV+ are shunned from society and cannot receive health care. Much more is known about HIV now than was known then, so we protect ourselves, make good decisions and move along. That was not the case in the early days of panic.

Here is an article from the Wall Street Journal the describes the situation and how much was simply unknown:

Opinion | Unlearned AIDS Lessons for Covid

a quote from that WSJ article:

"One early alarmist was Anthony Fauci, who made national news in 1983 with an editorial in the Journal of the American Medical Association warning that AIDS could infect even children because of “the possibility that routine close contact, as within a family household, can spread the disease.” After criticism that he had inspired a wave of hysterical homophobia, Dr. Fauci (who in 1984 began his current job, as director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases), promptly pivoted 180 degrees, declaring less than two months after his piece appeared that it was “absolutely preposterous” to suggest AIDS could be spread by normal social contact. But other supposed experts went on warning erroneously that AIDS could spread widely via toilet seats, mosquito bites and kissing."

Here are Fauci's words from JAMA in 1983:

"The finding of AIDS in infants and children who are household contacts of patients with AIDS or persons with risks for AIDS has enormous implications with regard to ultimate transmissibility of this syndrome. First, it is possible that AIDS can be vertically transmitted. Perhaps even more important is the possibility that routine close contact, as within a family household, can spread the disease. If, indeed, the latter is true, then AIDS takes on an entirely new dimension. Given the fact that the incubation period for adults is believed to be longer than one year, the full impact of the syndrome among sexual contacts and recipients of potentially infective transfusions is uncertain at present. If we add to this the possibility that nonsexual, non-blood-borne transmission is possible, the scope of the syndrome may be enormous"
-AS Fauci. The Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome The Ever-Broadening Clinical Spectrum. JAMA, May 6th, 1983. Vol 249, No. 217
Interesting historical context about HIV, but it's neither here nor there. Again, the points that you continue to keep ignoring:

1. HIV is not an airborne communicable virus
2. HIV never shut down the entire country for a year despite the initial media hysteria
3. HIV patients did not overwhelm hospitals to the point that every other service including surgery was shut down
4. HIV took 30 years to kill 700,000 Americans. Covid did it in less than 2.
With regards to the "effective vaccine," some may have a different definition of effective. I believe it is effective because I believe it mostly keeps you from getting severe disease. The effectiveness has certainly shifted as the pandemic has progressed. Health leaders said early on, if you get the vaccine, you "will not get COVID." That was overpromising and under delivering. Certainly did not help sway the vaccine hesitant.
Is there an effective 3 shot series that prevents one from getting severe disease, being hospitalized, or dying from HIV? Then why do you persist in this poor analogy?

The closest analogy that actually works is pre-exposure prophylaxis therapy for HIV. And in the interest of being logically consistent, if a person had free, easy access to PreP the way everyone has free, easy access to covid vaccines, and they chose to forego taking PreP before engaging in high risk activity and subsequently contracted HIV, then they might share some degree of culpability similar to the current anti-vax crowd. But it still wouldn't be the same because covid affects society in myriad ways at 1000x the intensity of HIV.
I admire you for your convictions but I think you are missing some of your blind spots by only considering the points of view that you agree with and "full stop" dismissing or shouting down anything that does not fit your narrative.
I haven't shouted down anything. I've repeatedly laid out the specific points where your analogy fails while you meander from unrelated point to unrelated point.
Gum flapping? You previously seemed like a nice guy, but I don't think you tolerate different points of view very well and I seem to have upset you quite a bit by offering up the viewpoints of many I know who do not wish to be vaccinated. I am getting a sense of why so many of everyone's patients are angry with them and treat them poorly. Patients want to be treated with respect and I sense from this thread that this may not happen as often as it should. At some point, one must recognize that the only common denominator in a certain physician's failed physician-patient relationships is the physician. I have seen it many times. Some people just do not know how to have a normal conversation with a patient. Patients want to know that you care about them. That is hard to fake. Patients know it when they are treated poorly and dismissed whether it is due to their disease, their political views, their race/gender etc. Add vaccine status to the list. As you read the comments on this thread, I think it is pretty clear that there are numerous people who have disdain for the very patients that they are asked (and paid) to care for. I understand the frustration that can occur with patients, but it does not make it right that you are allowed to treat them with disdain. Plus, being full of bitterness is a terrible way to live your lives. At some point, the realization has to set in that your viewpoint is not the only one that can be rational.
My guess is you do a lot of pontificating about how bad physicians are treating covid patients online, but unlike me or @chessknt or @chocomorsel or other critical care physicians who have actually been in the sht, you really don't have a clue what the emotional toll is taking care of a unit full of covid patients - whose deaths were totally preventable by a 10 minute shot - week after week after week, year after year.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

I'm still waiting for you to acknowledge that one of the authors of the Danish study you keep mentioning explicitly said "Interpretation that our research is evidence of anything but a protective vaccine effect is misrepresentative"

Have you noticed any toxicity from the other side? The antivaxxers who are stalking public health officers and school board members at their homes and sending death threats?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm still waiting for you to acknowledge that one of the authors of the Danish study you keep mentioning explicitly said "Interpretation that our research is evidence of anything but a protective vaccine effect is misrepresentative"
What do you expect them to say? Their research showed a protective effect at some time intervals, and no protective effect at other time intervals. They can say anything they want, but that's what their data showed.

This is the most idiotic debate I have seen on this site

People are losing their minds if someone chooses not to get an ineffective vaccine with zero long term safety data that neither prevents infection nor spread to others and are happy to see such people lose their livelihoods and have their freedoms restricted

You should be ashamed of yourselves

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
With regards to "shouting down" other viewpoints. I would say that implying that I have done nothing, seen nothing, and know nothing of the 2 year pandemic while simply pontificating on the internet is an attempt to discredit any alternative thoughts that I may share and is exactly what I mean by the term, shouting down anyone who disagrees. I never made any attempt to discredit you other than to suggest that you may be unwilling to listen to the points of view of others. It is tough to see with blinders and when your opinion is the only one you think is worthy of being heard. As I've said, real science listens to other opinions and seeks reviewers to pick apart weak spots in the scientific method and data. It seems no one wants to have anyone question their data anymore or have healthy discussion without name calling and attempts to discredit.
Most of your arguments are simply saying, false equivalency therefore your opinion does not matter. No two situations will be exactly alike, so you have set up a situation in which you feel you do not have to "see" any other viewpoints because they do not matter.
Up until a couple of days ago, the number of posts I have made here have been about once every several months, whereas you are a regular here, pontificating, as you called it.
You have still not addressed the fact that you operate from the position that COVID would be done if not for the anti-vaxxers. As you said, the window of opportunity was missed.
You also mocked my question of what is the endgame if we only get 10-20 weeks of meaningful vaccine effectiveness. Do you advocate boosters every 4-6 months? More frequently?

This seems to be WHO data from Europe. Go ahead and show how wrong it is.

1642709577414.png

1642709682080.png

Last edited:
What do you expect them to say? Their research showed a protective effect at some time intervals, and no protective effect at other time intervals. They can say anything they want, but that's what their data showed.
Anyone can say anything. That doesn't mean any explanation is equally likely. Instead of believing the author and the scientific explanations which explain how a biased selection with skewed sample sizes could lead for that result, you decide to go with the totally biologically implausible conspiracy theory that vaccines cause negative efficacy. Christ.

"

The specific point being cited online to suggest the vaccines are harmful concerns the study’s finding that, after 90 days, the vaccine effectiveness against infection with omicron was calculated to be below zero — which would suggest in theory that it increases chances of contracting the virus.

However, the study explains that “the negative estimates in the final period arguably suggest different behaviour and/or exposure patterns in the vaccinated and unvaccinated cohorts causing underestimation” of vaccine effectiveness.

Hansen said there are a “number of reasons” why the estimate might be negative, noting that biases are “quite common” in calculating effectiveness with observational studies. In other words, other factors are causing the vaccine to appear less effective.

The underestimates could be the product of vaccinated individuals being tested more frequently, therefore resulting in a higher incidence rate, he said. Also, behavioral differences, such as vaccinated individuals engaging in more activities that could lead to exposure, could be at play, he said.

Natalie Dean, an assistant professor of biostatistics at Emory University whose research includes methods for evaluating vaccine efficacy, said in an email that while the vaccines are less effective against infection with omicron, there is no real-world evidence that scientists are aware of that would explain the vaccines’ effectiveness actually being below zero.

Instead, she agreed that the negative results in the study were “highly likely to be due to bias in the data.”

As an example, she said, high vaccination rates mean that the “pool of people who are unvaccinated is comparatively small and may be fundamentally different in terms of risk or testing behavior.” More than 78% of people in Demark are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

Jeffrey Morris, director of the division of biostatistics at the University of Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine, shared similar observations. He said in an email that the results were “more likely to be an artifact of some selection bias effect than any inherently higher risk"

Yes

Yes

I'm fine with this if we have similar penalties/policies for people that burden the system due to bad life decisions. I want to be reasonably consistent.

Yes. But to stay with your analogy, should we incentivize people to pay their taxes....by paying them? Sometimes you should just do the right thing. This starts to unravel when you start thinking people should eat healthy, exercise, etc or they become penalized.

Last edited:
Yes

Yes

I'm fine with this if we have similar penalties/policies for people that burden the system due to bad life decisions. I want to be reasonably consistent.

Yes. But to stay with your analogy, should we incentivize people to pay their taxes....by paying them? Sometimes you should just do the right thing. This starts to unravel when you start thinking people should eat healthy, exercise, etc or they become penalized.
Except the things you are likely thinking off aren't really the same at all.

If we had a 2-3 shot series that decreased your risk of developing diabetes and you were at risk, didn't take it, and didn't follow your doctor's advice about treating your diabetes at all then OK fair enough. But we don't have that.

Also, its not the diabetic patients who are causing elective cases to be canceled or critical patients to be shipped long distances with sometimes terrible outcomes. Heck, even bad flu years don't cause this. This is the 2nd time COVID has caused this in 6 months for many of us.

This really is pretty unprecedented in terms of a potentially severe illness with a vaccine that is very effective at preventing severe illness. I think that's what really gets all of us bothered by this. This isn't like AIDS in the 80s (or pick your problem at really any point in time) because we had no treatment worthy of the name.

The issue is we have a very effective preventative treatment that huge numbers of people are refusing to take that, while it wouldn't eliminate COVID, it will significantly reduce the strain on the hospitals and staff.

Reactions: 7 users
With regards to "shouting down" other viewpoints. I would say that implying that I have done nothing, seen nothing, and know nothing of the 2 year pandemic while simply pontificating on the internet is an attempt to discredit any alternative thoughts that I may share and is xactly what I mean by the term, shouting down anyone who disagrees.
I never made any attempt to discredit you other than to suggest that you may be unwilling to listen to the points of view of others. It is tough to see with blinders and when your opinion is the only one you think is worthy of being heard. As I've said, real science listens to other opinions and seeks reviewers to pick apart weak spots in the scientific method and data. It seems no one wants to have anyone question their data anymore or have healthy discussion without name calling and attempts to discredit.
Most of your arguments are simply saying, false equivalency therefore your opinion does not matter. No two situations will be exactly alike, so you have set up a situation in which you feel you do not have to "see" any other viewpoints because they do not matter.
For the 4th (?) time now, you're not actually responding substantively to the numerous differences that cause your poor analogies to fail.

You're trying to paint some portrait of injustice where anti-vax folks are victims of a double standard when compared to patients with other diseases, but you're failing to do. Your first examples using chronic lifestyle diseases were obviously not analogous, so you pivoted to HIV. But it still doesn't work. I know it's hard for you to accept, but the closest analogous situation to the Covid-19 Global Pandemic happened over 100 years ago with influenza. You can't compare folks who refuse to get vaccinated now with people who have diabetes, or obesity, or HIV. At least not until those diseases shut down global society and overwhelm hospitals. When folks who eat too many cheeseburgers or don't exercise enough levy the toll on healthcare infrastructure, the economy, and general society that covid has, then we'll talk.

Up until a couple of days ago, the number of posts I have made here have been about once every several months, whereas you are a regular here, pontificating, as you called it.
You have still not addressed the fact that you operate from the position that COVID would be done if not for the anti-vaxxers.
As you said, the window of opportunity was missed.
You also mocked my question of what is the endgame if we only get 10-20 weeks of meaningful vaccine effectiveness. Do you advocate boosters every 4-6 months? More frequently?
I answered your question. But to repeat myself since you purposefully ignore answers which are inconvenient to your mistaken narratives:

"Omicron has a high enough R0 that it's reasonable to speculate it won't be replaced by another variant and it will become endemic. The end game is getting everyone boosted until an omicron specific vaccine is released +- a nasopharygeal spray vaccine. Some vaccinologists have pointed out that inducing a strong iga response in the mucosa and eliminating the virus in the upper airways before it could spread lower may have been much more effective than serum immunity."

What were you saying about vaccines when delta was predominant and protection with vaccines against infection was 80+% and against severe disease and death was 94%? What will you say if Pfizer's omicron specific shot has those stats?
This seems to be WHO data from Europe. Go ahead and show how wrong it is.

View attachment 348642

View attachment 348643
What's your point here? You're obsessed with a strawman that the only reason people want everyone vaccinated is to prevent cases, when even back in January of last year the original EUA for Pfizer was to prevent severe disease, hospitalization, and death (and the eventual full approval for Pfizer was based on the same). Yes, omicron immune escape and the number of cases suck, but no one would care if hospitals still weren't getting jammed up by masses of unvaccinated people.

• Love
What's your point here? You're obsessed with a strawman that the only reason people want everyone vaccinated is to prevent cases, when even back in January of last year the original EUA for Pfizer was to prevent severe disease, hospitalization, and death (and the eventual full approval for Pfizer was based on the same). Yes, omicron immune escape and the number of cases suck, but no one would care if hospitals still weren't getting jammed up by masses of unvaccinated people.
The point is, that you assume COVID would be done if people would have just gotten vaccinated. I think your premise is fundamentally flawed from the outset and causes problems with a lot of your other opinions.

Last edited:
This is the most idiotic debate I have seen on this site

People are losing their minds if someone chooses not to get an ineffective vaccine with zero long term safety data that neither prevents infection nor spread to others and are happy to see such people lose their livelihoods and have their freedoms restricted

You should be ashamed of yourselves
You have added an aspect that has not really be explored. The long term safety data. Many out there have significant concerns about this, as it has not been long term tested and manufacturers have been given a free pass in that regard. In 5-10 years, if a long term side effect rears its head, it will be difficult to reconcile. Not saying it will, but I cannot really blame people for having some hesitancy and weighing their risks and benefits if they are in a low risk population. To dismiss them as ignorant with no understanding of their stated concerns is a huge part of the problem of why it will not get better for a large part of the population. Hard to believe, but there are many who distrust the government and, as medical leaders align with the government, their distrust of medical leaders increases.
If someone does not understand distrust of research ethics / integrity, government actions / overreach, etc, then I am not sure that people are in touch with their patient populations and their concerns.

You have added an aspect that has not really be explored. The long term safety data. Many out there have significant concerns about this, as it has not been long term tested and manufacturers have been given a free pass in that regard. In 5-10 years, if a long term side effect rears its head, it will be difficult to reconcile. Not saying it will, but I cannot really blame people for having some hesitancy and weighing their risks and benefits if they are in a low risk population. To dismiss them as ignorant with no understanding of their stated concerns is a huge part of the problem of why it will not get better for a large part of the population. Hard to believe, but there are many who distrust the government and, as medical leaders align with the government, their distrust of medical leaders increases.
If someone does not understand distrust of research ethics / integrity, government actions / overreach, etc, then I am not sure that people are in touch with their patient populations and their concerns.
As I tell patients every day, in our incredibly long successful history of vaccines, long-term side effects are blindingly rare. Almost unheard of.

If someone distrusts their personal physician because we happen to agree with what the government is saying about COVID I don't think we're the problem. I also don't think most of us fail to understand their reasoning, but that doesn't mean they get a pass.

3 × 10min shot is an easier fix than making longterm lifestyle choices! Great so get jabbed and keep getting fat as s..t.
You guys fail to acknowledge that your ICUs are full because 70% of your population is overweight not only because they are unvaccinated.
If you want to keep to your narrative of vaccinate everybody and mandate this and that it's fine but just a tip: it's a little counterproductive pushing that on people who have close to 0 chance of severe disease.

As I tell patients every day, in our incredibly long successful history of vaccines, long-term side effects are blindingly rare. Almost unheard of
Time to develop an entirely new class of vaccine to a new virus: 11 months.
Delta appears late 2020, 12 months later no adaptation of the original therapy to a variant of the original virus!
Why?
Nothing to see here lets keep on boosting for alpha.

Anyone can say anything. That doesn't mean any explanation is equally likely. Instead of believing the author and the scientific explanations which explain how a biased selection with skewed sample sizes could lead for that result, you decide to go with the totally biologically implausible conspiracy theory that vaccines cause negative efficacy. Christ.

"

The specific point being cited online to suggest the vaccines are harmful concerns the study’s finding that, after 90 days, the vaccine effectiveness against infection with omicron was calculated to be below zero — which would suggest in theory that it increases chances of contracting the virus.

However, the study explains that “the negative estimates in the final period arguably suggest different behaviour and/or exposure patterns in the vaccinated and unvaccinated cohorts causing underestimation” of vaccine effectiveness.

Hansen said there are a “number of reasons” why the estimate might be negative, noting that biases are “quite common” in calculating effectiveness with observational studies. In other words, other factors are causing the vaccine to appear less effective.

The underestimates could be the product of vaccinated individuals being tested more frequently, therefore resulting in a higher incidence rate, he said. Also, behavioral differences, such as vaccinated individuals engaging in more activities that could lead to exposure, could be at play, he said.

Natalie Dean, an assistant professor of biostatistics at Emory University whose research includes methods for evaluating vaccine efficacy, said in an email that while the vaccines are less effective against infection with omicron, there is no real-world evidence that scientists are aware of that would explain the vaccines’ effectiveness actually being below zero.

Instead, she agreed that the negative results in the study were “highly likely to be due to bias in the data.”

As an example, she said, high vaccination rates mean that the “pool of people who are unvaccinated is comparatively small and may be fundamentally different in terms of risk or testing behavior.” More than 78% of people in Demark are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

Jeffrey Morris, director of the division of biostatistics at the University of Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine, shared similar observations. He said in an email that the results were “more likely to be an artifact of some selection bias effect than any inherently higher risk"
If you'll notice in my earlier post citing this study I said the "negative efficacy was hard to believe." I was using these studies as evidence that current efficacy against infection is negligible.

If the authors of these studies truly thought that their data were so fatally confounded that their results would literally be inverted and subsequently used by the "right wing misinformation" machine, they could have just... not published the study. Then they wouldn't have needed you and Drs. Dean and Morris to waste your valuable time on an apology tour.

Right. I’ve had to send proof of flu vax to my medical staff office for more than the past 10 years.
This is what kills me. There’s probably 5-6 vaccines or titers you’ve had to prove since undergrad let alone to get/maintain your hospital credentialing. What’s changed?

The politically instilled cognitive dissonance is so thick anymore I’ve lost faith in humanity at large.

If you'll notice in my earlier post citing this study I said the "negative efficacy was hard to believe." I was using these studies as evidence that current efficacy against infection is negligible.

If the authors of these studies truly thought that their data were so fatally confounded that their results would literally be inverted and subsequently used by the "right wing misinformation" machine, they could have just... not published the study. Then they wouldn't have needed you and Drs. Dean and Morris to waste your valuable time on an apology tour.
Journals publish anything related to COVID now and it is all about getting it in print the fastest. Just like the media wants to be the first with the big story.
Your data is uninterpretable? No matter. We have people on internet forums that can correct it when we send out supplemental data. Study incomplete? No matter. We'll just add an addendum in 8 weeks that totally turns your conclusion on its head.
If your study shows negative efficacy and you, the author of the study, do not believe it, why are you submitting it for publication? Figure the stuff out and submit a finished product that will withstand some scrutiny.
Or just "dry lab" it like people have done related to PONV, Hetastarch, and other topics.

The point is, that you assume COVID would be done if people would have just gotten vaccinated. I think your premise is fundamentally flawed from the outset and causes problems with a lot of your other opinions.
Are you disputing that the worst healthcare infrastructure, economic, and generalized societal effects wouldn't have been essentially done with if vaccination and seroprevalence were high enough back when delta and alpha were predominant? Maybe absolute containment of spread or preventing the development of variants (since much of the rest of the world lacks much of our vaccine access and has uncontrolled spread) was unrealistic, but even just preventing the overwhelming of hospitals by the unvaccinated would've made 2021 much less of a shtshow.

Again I'll ask though: "What were you saying about vaccines when delta was predominant and protection with vaccines against infection was 80+% and against severe disease and death was 94%? What will you say if Pfizer's omicron specific shot has those stats?"

Last edited:
our incredibly long history of novel mRNA treatments???
Every vaccine was novel once. None of them have caused long term issues that I am aware of. Could this be the one that does? Absolutely. I admit as much to patients all the time and if this wasn't a once in a century pandemic that has devestated our hospitals 3 times in the last 2 years, caused significant economic issues, and devastated huge numbers of people/families I would also be somewhat hesitant. It's also why I don't put a huge amount of pressure on my 20 year old completely healthy patients.

We've been using mRNA vaccines in livestock (horses I believe) for over 10 years. Obviously not humans but let's not pretend mRNA vaccines are something we just came up with last week.