Uneven MCAT Score and Realistic Stretch Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curlfro99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT score back and I am planning on applying in the next week or two.

C/P: 132
CARS: 124
Bio: 130
Psy/Soc: 130
Overall: 516

I am worried about my CARS score, but I do not want to retake the test. My GPA is 3.92. My stretch schools include Duke, Vanderbilt, and Emory. Do I have a chance in these schools with an uneven MCAT? Thanks for any of your advise.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the similar issue. Although my CARS is 125 with an overall similar to yours.
I personally think you will be fine, but you do need to realize CARS 124 is a huge weak point.
Usually 126 is good, 127 is competitive, and something above is definitely excellent.
On the other side, application is not only about MCAT. So plz do well on other part of application as well, Those are really important.

BTW, you are not native speaker of English, aren't you? It's hard for me to believe a English-speaker would have such a low CARS score with such a high overall.
If you are an international student without permanent residency in US or Canada, then nothing is hopeful. Every weak point can be potentially fatal.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, you are not native speaker of English, aren't you? It's hard for me to believe a English-speaker would have such a low CARS score with such a high overall.
If you are an international student without permanent residency in US or Canada, then nothing is hopeful. Every weak point can be potentially fatal.
CARs is just a matter of knowing how to answer the questions, just like the other sections. You don't have to assume that he isn't a native english speaker.

CARs is just a matter of knowing how to answer the questions, just like the other sections. You don't have to assume that he isn't a native english speaker.

However, it you can do well in other sections, How can you do bad in other sections?
The difference between his CARS section and the rest is not subtle, so I suspect there must be some prominent issue.
For example he might have difficulty understanding the CARS passages, and CARS passage is different from other scientific passages.

It's just a curious question and I think it's more or less reasonable to suspect.

CARS is the one section where the most leniency is given, so I dont think a 124 will override a strong overall score. That being said, Vandy's median is a 520, so you need to compensate somewhere else in your app to be competitive there. For Duke and Emory, you are good to go MCAT-wise.

CARS is the one section where the most leniency is given, so I dont think a 124 will override a strong overall score. That being said, Vandy's median is a 520, so you need to compensate somewhere else in your app to be competitive there. For Duke and Emory, you are good to go MCAT-wise.
Are you a physician, AdCom member, med student, or premed student?

Reactions: 1 user