Unfilled programs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moodydoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of unfilled programs for this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
30 programs out of 500 something. I don't remember the exact number but I calculated something like 6% unfilled positions this year. Pretty close to the percent of unfilled family practice spots. Other specialties were around the 1% or less mark. I guess path isn't really that competitive. I know, rad onc had a bunch of unfilled this year, but I don't believe their sample size is sufficiently large enough to evaluate this way anyway.

30 programs out of 500 something.

That is quite a large percentage, but some of the positions will be CP only that did not fill. It is surprising that other specialty percentages seem to have increased their match rate while pathology stayed the same. I guess a lot of people have read the job information on this board.

I guess path isn't really that competitive.

These is not really a great conclusion to draw from the data - there are a lot of path programs that are really not so great, and many candidates wouldn't really want to train there. Path is more competitive at the top programs, but even the top programs will have occasional years where they don't completely fill (for various reasons). But good candidates will almost never have trouble finding a spot, if they interview at the right places for them and rank enough places.

These is not really a great conclusion to draw from the data - there are a lot of path programs that are really not so great, and many candidates wouldn't really want to train there. Path is more competitive at the top programs, but even the top programs will have occasional years where they don't completely fill (for various reasons). But good candidates will almost never have trouble finding a spot, if they interview at the right places for them and rank enough places.

I absolutely agree. The 6% unfilled number definitely does not qualify as a ratio or even interval scale of measurement. At best, ordinal. That is, some conclusion can be drawn based on rank order (Derm (0%) > Surgery (0.05%) > IM (1.4%) > > > Path (5.7%) > FP (8.8%)) in terms of competitiveness. But yes, crummy pathology programs and CP only spots do seem to confound things. I'd think the sample size is still adequately large enough, though.

These is not really a great conclusion to draw from the data - there are a lot of path programs that are really not so great, and many candidates wouldn't really want to train there.

There are a lot more primary care programs that one may classify under the "not so great" category and yet they have better match rates than pathology.

When we talk about competitiveness of a specialty, we talk about ALL programs, whether topnotch or not. Even the poorest programs in the worst cities in derm or rads can fill their slots.

Pathology consistently having the one of the lowest match rates every year is another surrogate marker for us having way too many residency spots. The "not so great" programs should be shut down and the resources should be channeled towards the better programs.

There are a lot more primary care programs that one may classify under the "not so great" category and yet they have better match rates than pathology.

When we talk about competitiveness of a specialty, we talk about ALL programs, whether topnotch or not. Even the poorest programs in the worst cities in derm or rads can fill their slots.

Pathology consistently having the one of the lowest match rates every year is another surrogate marker for us having way too many residency spots. The "not so great" programs should be shut down and the resources should be channeled towards the better programs.

agreed.

about the competitiveness issue: comparing this year to the previous 5 or so years, 24 unfilled positions in path is uncharacteristic (yes, it was 24. i had access through the NRMP at the instant it was released). last year there were 41 unfilled, and in 2006 45; even that number was down from the previous year. the fill rate has consistently gone up each year in path.

agreed.

about the competitiveness issue: comparing this year to the previous 5 or so years, 24 unfilled positions in path is uncharacteristic (yes, it was 24. i had access through the NRMP at the instant it was released). last year there were 41 unfilled, and in 2006 45; even that number was down from the previous year. the fill rate has consistently gone up each year in path.

I don't understand your point. You are saying that the number of unfilled has decreased, but you agree it is not competitive?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the list I found:
Pathology-Anatomic and Clinical (C programs)
This list was created on 03/17/2009 01:55:01
This list is updated every hour as programs fill their positions.

California Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Cedars-Sinai Medical Center-CA
Pathology 1030300C0 3000512030 6 2 4
W Nichols
P: 310-423-6941
F: 310-423-5881
[email protected]

Stanford Univ Progs-CA
Clinical Pathology Track 1820300R0 3000521046 2 1 1
Stephen Galli
P: 650-725-8383
F: 650-725-6902

UC Davis Med Ctr-CA
Pathology 1046300C0 3000511025 3 2 1
Rajendra Ramsamooj
P: 916-734-3331
F: 916-734-6468
[email protected]

Florida Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

U Florida COM-Shands Hosp
Pathology 1824300C0 3001121073 4 2 2
John Reith
P: 352-265-0432
F: 352-265-6987
[email protected]

U South Florida COM-Tampa
Pathology 1109300C0 3001131078 4 3 1
Santo Nicosia

Indiana Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Ball Memorial Hosp-IN
Pathology 1192300C0* 3001721114 2 1 1
Janet Roepke

Louisiana Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA
Pathology 1224300C0* 3002121123 2 1 1
Gary Lipscomb

Tulane Univ SOM-LA
Pathology 3073300C0* 3002121122 2 1 1
John Krause

Massachusetts Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA
Pathology-Clinical 1256300C1 3002431419 1 0 1
James Connolly

Berkshire Med Ctr-MA
Pathology 1281300C0 3002411153 2 1 1
Rebecca Johnson
P: 413-447-2133

Nebraska Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Creighton Univ Affil-NE
Pathology 1372300C0* 3003021195 2 1 1
Roger Brumback
P: 402-280-4675
[email protected]

New York Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY
Pathology 2070300C0* 3003521398 2 1 1
Mark Friedman
P: 212-523-7242
F: 212-523-6394
[email protected]

U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY
Pathology 1511300C0 3003521263 4 3 1
Scott Kirkley
P: 585-273-4580
F: 585-273-1027

University at Buffalo SOM-NY
Pathology 3099300C0* 3003521224 4 2 2
Amy Sands

North Carolina Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Pitt County Mem Hosp/Brody SOM-NC
Pathology 3057300C0 3003621404 3 2 1
Peter Kragel
P: 252-847-4268

Ohio Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Case Western/MetroHealth Med Ctr-OH
Pathology 1553300C0 3003811279 2 1 1
Joseph Tomashefski
P: 216-778-5181
F: 216-778-7112
[email protected]

University Hosp-Cincinnati-OH
Pathology 1548300C0* 3003821276 2 1 1
Gregory Retzinger

Oklahoma Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

U Oklahoma COM-OK City
Pathology 1588300C0* 3003921295 4 3 1
Michael Talbert

Tennessee Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

East Tennessee St Univ
Pathology 2066300C0* 3004721399 2 0 2
Jerald Mullersman
P: 423-439-6210

19 record(s) found.
* Use ERAS for Scramble

I don't understand your point. You are saying that the number of unfilled has decreased, but you agree it is not competitive?

no, sorry, i was agreeing to the last sentence of BigD's post. my later point was that according to the numbers, path has clearly increased in competitiveness - if the unfilled rate is the measure we are talking about.

mooddoc's list is what the list looked like several hours after the scramble started.

any luck for me? yes, but i am not jinxing anything yet. nothing came through via the scramble, but something good - more than good, perfect - is in the works. i'll post whats up when its solidified. thanks though, here's to waiting anxiously!

wondering for those who are scrambling...

can you take the CP only spots for now? maybe after working there for a year, the programs might take you in for full AP+CP...

Some of the programs on this list look small, offering only 2 spots per year!

wow, cedars LA had 6 spots and only filled 2? ouch. i wonder if i'm reading this correctly.
i've heard post-Amin the place has improved..??

I saw the original list printed out this morning at the hospital from a friend who had to scramble in another specialty. Only thing I remember differently from the list that's posted above is that the University of Virginia had one unfilled spot (which has, evidently, since been scrambled into).

YOu are a bit of a pollyanna Yaah. I have rotated at some of the crappiest county hospitals in the country and in those programs every single path resident is an FMG that is barely audible, and at those programs the derm and ortho residents were type-A AMGs from elite medical schools.

Of course the Stanfords and MGHs can be hard to match into, but the truth is that path only matches 60-70% of the spots with AMGs while all the surgical subspecialities, rads, derm, rad-onc, categorical surgery match >95% of their spots with AMGs. It is a big difference.

... the truth is that path only matches 60-70% of the spots with AMGs while all the surgical subspecialities, rads, derm, rad-onc, categorical surgery match >95% of their spots with AMGs. It is a big difference.

All that says is that it's a good-ol' boys club and those bigots would rather take a barely above average AMG over an obviously better qualified IMG. Though, I agree that language/communication do tend to be a huge issue. And yes, pathologists in general are perhaps more "exploitable" and are often taken for their "research potential" over other criteria, especially by academic centers. Perhaps, most PDs are aware that their residents won't be giving much customer service or require much face time out there.

Just wanted to send along a message as a senior resident on behalf of the BIDMC pathology program. Our program actually IS filled, but was posted as unfilled because of a mistake on the part of our Graduate Medical Education office. Our clinical pathology only position did not fill, but the plan to take an extra AP/CP resident to make up for this was not put into effect. Despite our program coordinator's love for our program and appreciation for all of your love of our program, the unfortunate fact is that we are indeed full. THANKS for all of your interest and best of luck with the scramble.

Just wanted to send along a message as a senior resident on behalf of the BIDMC pathology program. Our program actually IS filled, but was posted as unfilled because of a mistake on the part of our Graduate Medical Education office. Our clinical pathology only position did not fill, but the plan to take an extra AP/CP resident to make up for this was not put into effect. Despite our program coordinator's love for our program and appreciation for all of your love of our program, the unfortunate fact is that we are indeed full. THANKS for all of your interest and best of luck with the scramble.

I figured something like that had to have happened... (as it listed 1 spot, 0 filled 1 unfilled)

Plus it is BIDMC... :laugh: (unlikely not to fill, and definitely has more than one total spot).

YOu are a bit of a pollyanna Yaah. I have rotated at some of the crappiest county hospitals in the country and in those programs every single path resident is an FMG that is barely audible, and at those programs the derm and ortho residents were type-A AMGs from elite medical schools.

Yes, but if you are a solid american grad or a competitive IMG, you probably shouldn't be considering those programs - so in my mind, I would ignore them in my consideration. Whereas the crappy county hospitals may still have decent ortho or derm training programs.