kvl1027

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Status
Pharmacist
So it would seem I have officially landed a Unicorn job. Excellent pay, M-F 9a-5p, great benefits package. Sterile compounding, call center handles customers and insurance issues. Can't wait to start in two weeks!!

xiphoid2010

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Texas
Status
Pharmacist
So it would seem I have officially landed a Unicorn job. Excellent pay, M-F 9a-5p, great benefits package. Sterile compounding, call center handles customers and insurance issues. Can't wait to start in two weeks!!
Congrats! Give a little background about yourself and course of events to help those who are looking to replicate.

Jibby321

Ready or Not......
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Glad to see a Fellow gator with a unicorn job landed!

OP
kvl1027

kvl1027

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Status
Pharmacist
Congrats! Give a little background about yourself and course of events to help those who are looking to replicate.
Graduated from UF Class of 2010 with a slightly more advanced age than my colleagues.

I started working right away with an small independent chain. I have worked very hard to grow the compounding business within the chain and it is doing fairly well, all things considered. My goal was to obtain ownership of the business, but with the industry changing and MAC pricing killing all of the retail pharmacies I went seeking opportunities elsewhere.

I would say my knowledge of both sterile and non-sterile compounding, in particular with regard to the changing laws surrounded the compounding climate helped significantly. Aside from that, practically running the business side of the independent made me a good candidate.

Reactions: clachan3

KARM12

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
East
Status
Pharmacist
Totally not a unicorn job...unicorn jobs involve little to no dispensing duties.

tammoraf81

5+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Can't believe you gave up on pharmacy ownership dream. You made me changed my mind about start up and instead I started looking for a good acquisition and I think I found the one. #Disappointed

msweph

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Since when is 9-5 a unicorn job? I would hate those hours.

Unicorn job IMO, something like 12pm-3pm (start) - 8pm-11pm (end). Allows you to wake up late and go out late.
so any evening shift job is a unicorn job then.

confettiflyer

Did you just say something?
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
Since when is 9-5 a unicorn job? I would hate those hours.

Unicorn job IMO, something like 12pm-3pm (start) - 8pm-11pm (end). Allows you to wake up late and go out late.
I'd hate this schedule. The day would be toast.

And congrats to the OP, not a unicorn job IMO but who gives a **** if you're happy and well compensated every day.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist

And congrats to the OP, not a unicorn job IMO but who gives a **** if you're happy and well compensated every day.
You'd hate a 2nd shift schedule? I guess you don't really care about staying out in the city till 5AM in the morning and stumbling into bed at 6AM every night? I guess it's different in NYC compared to everywhere else. The only other place where I've been with comparable nightlife is Miami.

LA, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, most places were closed after 1-3AM. If it wasn't the weekend, they'd be dead even sooner, like 10PM-11PM.

jmoini

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2008
West Coast is the best coast
Status
Pharmacist
You'd hate a 2nd shift schedule? I guess you don't really care about staying out in the city till 5AM in the morning and stumbling into bed at 6AM every night? I guess it's different in NYC compared to everywhere else. The only other place where I've been with comparable nightlife is Miami.

LA, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, most places were closed after 1-3AM. If it wasn't the weekend, they'd be dead even sooner, like 10PM-11PM.
maybe some people have families, and regular schedules? those hours would be horrible for them

Jibby321

Ready or Not......
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2013
Status
Pharmacist

Last time I was In NYC I was like 9 or 10. I did see the WTC. So that was pretty cool. But if I'm ever back there it sounds like Sparda is who to find for a night life scene. Haha

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
Last time I was In NYC I was like 9 or 10. I did see the WTC. So that was pretty cool. But if I'm ever back there it sounds like Sparda is who to find for a night life scene. Haha
I could probably help in recommending where to go, but I wouldn't be able to help you get in since I'd need help in getting those places too.

Jibby321

Ready or Not......
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
I could probably help in recommending where to go, but I wouldn't be able to help you get in since I'd need help in getting those places too.
You don't know people who know people who know people??? Lol

confettiflyer

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist

I spent like 10 years doing that. For my liver and longevity's sake I keep normal hours now and get my kicks shopping at Whole Foods, getting dinner via Postmates, and firing up Netflix.

My ideal schedule would be Monday-Thursday 0700-1730 with random days on and off here and there since running errands on a Tuesday at 10am = no lines/crowds

Reactions: Dalteparin

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist

I guess if you're an alcoholic. You could always try DC where everywhere has a happy hour (which is more like 4 hours of happy hour). Caffeine and alcohol in alternating doses.

Reactions: fiestychix03

rph3664

7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
The compounding pharmacy in my city mostly does veterinary compounding, so they don't have to deal with insurance, etc. at all.

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
I think it would be cool to have a unicorn...I don't think I'd like a job where I had to be a unicorn. I'd rather be a mime or a scary clown. Anyone know where I can get a scary clown job?

Reactions: Dalteparin

Jibby321

Ready or Not......
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
I think it would be cool to have a unicorn...I don't think I'd like a job where I had to be a unicorn. I'd rather be a mime or a scary clown. Anyone know where I can get a scary clown job?
Halloween horrer nights at universal studios in Orlando. But that's only like September thru Halloween every year.

OP
kvl1027

kvl1027

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Status
Pharmacist
Can't believe you gave up on pharmacy ownership dream. You made me changed my mind about start up and instead I started looking for a good acquisition and I think I found the one. #Disappointed
I didn't give up!!!! Don't give up!!! This deals puts me in an equity position.

OP
kvl1027

kvl1027

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Status
Pharmacist

Thanks, I appreciate it. Their are minimal dispensing duties. Compounds are made and processed M-W, most of my duties are clinical and administrative. Developing SOPs, QA, etc. It's pretty "Unicorny" to me. Home for dinner, every weekend off, and great pay (better than retail) with large bonus, no insurance, no calls, just bliss...

confettiflyer

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
Thanks, I appreciate it. Their are minimal dispensing duties. Compounds are made and processed M-W, most of my duties are clinical and administrative. Developing SOPs, QA, etc. It's pretty "Unicorny" to me. Home for dinner, every weekend off, and great pay (better than retail) with large bonus, no insurance, no calls, just bliss...
Very nice, very unicorny. But you must throw in "occasionally makes pharmacy students cry" in order to be a full blooded unicorn.

IMHO of course, haha. Cheers to you again.

OP
kvl1027

kvl1027

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Status
Pharmacist
Very nice, very unicorny. But you must throw in "occasionally makes pharmacy students cry" in order to be a full blooded unicorn.

IMHO of course, haha. Cheers to you again.
I have already talked to UF to get some students scheduled. At my previous job I never got enough students because of the location. Now, I'll be in a major metro and the students will flow like the salmon of Capistrano!

Jul 2, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
what exactly is a unicorn job? If you really want to avoid retail, and go into hospital or clinical, even with residency, is it becoming difficult to find jobs? Sorry if I sound naive, but I'm graduating this year and don't have very much knowledge of the current job market/situation except that getting intern jobs are hard as hell.