Unique Altruistic Volunteering ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YourFutureBoss

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

So I've been volunteering at this local suburban hospital in the OC for a couple of months, but I honestly hate it. It's boring as ****. 99% of the patients are rude old people and most of my duties suck the big one. On top of that, I hardly see any doctors and am usually stuck with PCAs. So, obviously I'm going to quit. What are some really unique volunteering ECs that I can pick that will look great on my resume and make me look super altruistic? Preferably ones that have flexible scheduling and don't require that much of a time commitment. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Read to deaf kids.

Reactions: 13 users
Hey SDN,

So I've been volunteering at this local suburban hospital in the OC for a couple of months, but I honestly hate it. It's boring as ****. 99% of the patients are rude old people and most of my duties suck the big one. On top of that, I hardly see any doctors and am usually stuck with PCAs. So, obviously I'm going to quit. What are some really unique volunteering ECs that I can pick that will look great on my resume? Preferably ones that have flexible scheduling and don't require that much of a time commitment. Thanks

Sorry, if there was anything that was really unique and looked amazing on your app, everyone would be doing it already. The best thing I can suggest is starting your own non-profit. That still looks good these days... Avoid mission trips. They are no bueno.

Otherwise, welcome to being a typical pre-med! Unfortunately, pre-meds have ruined the meaning of volunteering so now it's a ridiculous facade that's painful to watch. :( Check out some of my volunteering threads from the past to figure out better ways to navigate through the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could cook meth and give it to underprivileged addicts... Be sure to talk in your PS about how you combined your love of organic chemistry with helping those less fortunate than you.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey SDN,

So I've been volunteering at this local suburban hospital in the OC for a couple of months, but I honestly hate it. It's boring as ****. 99% of the patients are rude old people and most of my duties suck the big one. On top of that, I hardly see any doctors and am usually stuck with PCAs. So, obviously I'm going to quit. What are some really unique volunteering ECs that I can pick that will look great on my resume and make me look super altruistic? Preferably ones that have flexible scheduling and don't require that much of a time commitment. Thanks

Nothing will ever have that

As if seeing doctors is the most important thing to learning/gaining experience...

Or the fact that the elderly could be mad/upset about their condition or lack thereof...... I'd be somewhat upset too especially if I am used to being stronger or don't have family/friends to see as often. Just knowing that you're in decline can be depressing.

A foul mouth that reflects your myopic point of view. There's a difference between disliking it and saying what you did

Resume padders......

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing will ever have that

As if seeing doctors is the most important thing to learning/gaining experience...

Or the fact that the elderly could be mad/upset about their condition or lack thereof...... I'd be somewhat upset too especially if I am used to being stronger or don't have family/friends to see as often. Just knowing that you're in decline can be depressing.

A foul mouth that reflects your myopic point of view. There's a difference between disliking it and saying what you did

Resume padders......
Please. 90% of the premeds I know only volunteer because they have to. They are hardly making a difference. If I wanted to be a PCA, I would've gone and done that.

Please. 90% of the premeds I know only volunteer because they have to. They are hardly making a difference. If I wanted to be a PCA, I would've gone and done that.
I don't know about 90%, maybe 50%. That 50% (including yourself) doesn't belong in medicine though...

Then you've hung out with the wrong people that are intrinsically suitable to the profession...

You'll learn sooner or later... everyone does.

Reactions: 1 users
You could try driving at 140 mph and see where it takes you

Reactions: 5 users
I've got this crazy idea, pick something you absolutely love and find away to give back to community with it. I mean if you like gaming, organize or work with kids who may not have the time, money or resources to do so, like in the pediatric ward. You like computers, offer to do classes at the senior center or in the nursing home. Love to write, blog, post on something? Try volunteering in a hospital, home, etc and talk to patients. Sports, theater, etc. So be a little creative

With what you suggested it'll never suit the OP.... he wants something easy, looks good on a resume (lol), with little time commitment, and most importantly it MAKES HIM LOOK GOOD.

That'll never happen

Reactions: 3 users
I've got this crazy idea, pick something you absolutely love and find away to give back to community with it. I mean if you like gaming, organize or work with kids who may not have the time, money or resources to do so, like in the pediatric ward. You like computers, offer to do classes at the senior center or in the nursing home. Love to write, blog, post on something? Try volunteering in a hospital, home, etc and talk to patients. Sports, theater, etc. So be a little creative
Not going to fly. I need clinical experience and I'm not going to get a job in addition to volunteering. So I'll pose the question to the thread again:

EC wanted. Short on hours. Long on prestige. Need exposure to doctors so I can knock off shadowing while I'm at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are none...time a new career.

And as for the rest of you:
:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Hey SDN,

What are some really unique volunteering ECs that I can pick that will look great on my resume and make me look super altruistic? Preferably ones that have flexible scheduling and don't require that much of a time commitment. Thanks

Reactions: 6 users
Not going to fly. I need clinical experience and I'm not going to get a job in addition to volunteering. So I'll pose the question to the thread again:

EC wanted. Short on hours. Long on prestige. Need exposure to doctors so I can knock off shadowing while I'm at it.

How about we let md-2020 or efle take the MCAT for ya too, lol?

Yeah. Because LOOKING altruistic is far more important than BEING altruistic.

Yes it is. One of the sad facts of modern life is that perception > reality.

The nice doctor who is beloved by his patients, but routinely endangers them or provides bad care is less likely to get sued than the robotic doctor who obsesses over his work and spends his free time reading publications and making sure his actions are supported by science.

What people think about you > What/who you are actually are
Feelings > Truth

Humans are animals first; rational agents second.

Yes it is. One of the sad facts of modern life is that perception > reality.

The nice doctor who is beloved by his patients, but routinely endangers them or provides bad care is less likely to get sued than the robotic doctor who obsesses over his work and spends his free time reading publications and making sure his actions are supported by science.

What people think about you > What/who you are actually are
Feelings > Truth

Humans are animals first; rational agents second.

Bingo.

You can just lie and make up something. Fits everything you want except the altruistic portion but then again you can lie about that too...

Hey SDN,

If it's already been done, it's not unique.

I love the irony in you guys asking other people how to be unique. You're not supposed to have to even think twice about how you can do something different. You just do the first crazy thing that pops into your mind, and trial+error until you get something that works. Just like research. Do research on how you can best help people out while improving the quality of your med school resume.

Your are exactly opposite of any qualities that an adcom wants for a doctor. try doing something actually worthwhile or find a different profession
There are none...time a new career.

And as for the rest of you:
:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:
Most premeds are 9 parts ambition for every one part altruism. If you two don't see this then you are simply delusional. I'll just leave it at that.

Welcome to modern medicine ;)

Also @YourFutureBoss you know....some of them might be dying, so.

Most premeds never become physicians.

3430064-5753440611-ohhhh.gif

You could try hospice volunteering. You would be near doctors and if you like to read just read whatever you're reading to the patients. When I had a subscription to the economist I would read the economist to the patients, they would like it and I would be reading the economist anyway

The key to volunteering is learning to hit two, three, or even better four birds with one stone. If you're just sitting at the nurses station twiddling your thumbs right now start studying while you're at the nurses station. If you want to hit another bird start volunteering for an online crisis hotline while you're sitting at the nurses station studying for whatever class you need. That way you are essentially just studying and technically you are overlapping your volunteer hours so better resume padding.

Applying your own attributes to others is not logical reasoning.

Do try to suppress your inner troll.
Who's trolling? You guys decided to get offended because you've bought the BS thrown at you hook, line, and sinker from applicants you interview about how "meaningful" it was for them to stock shelves in the ER. I've met more than a couple med students that complained how boring and dry it was volunteering in a hospital during undergrad.

Who's trolling? You guys decided to get offended because you've bought the BS thrown at you hook, line, and sinker from applicants you interview about how "meaningful" it was for them to stock shelves in the ER. I've met more than a couple med students that complained how boring and dry it was volunteering in a hospital during undergrad.

Yeah, you sound like you spend a lot of time talking to medical students.

You tell yourself that if it makes you feel better about hoodwinking people.

Look at the end of the day we're not here to convince you of anything. You've met your group of people while we met ours that shaped our experiences / beliefs.

To come back to the original question......... there isn't any volunteering that's altruistic, unique, and low commitment, especially since you haven't found something you enjoy that fits into any of those categories. Take it or leave it.

Gonna have to unsubscribe to this thread......... it's more toxic than an intro chem lab.

A$shole alert, y'all.

Scribing can double as shadowing. And you get paid. /thread

As an ER tech, I wish we had pre-med volunteers who would grace us with their presence to do this... Good lord this would have freed up SO MUCH of my time!!!

As an ER tech, I wish we had pre-med volunteers who would grace us with their presence to do this... Good lord this would have freed up SO MUCH of my time!!!

My tech coworkers are very thankful. And of course you guys are highly appreciated as well. :)

My tech coworkers are very thankful. And of course you guys are highly appreciated as well. :)
I don't even know you and I love you!!!
A large majority of my day is spent stocking shelves, drawers, rooms, anything really... to have someone help with that is great :)
**Currently taking applications for kind, pre-med volunteers at my workplace, I will pay you in Starbucks PSLs for your troubles!!**

A large majority of my day is spent stocking shelves, drawers, rooms, anything really... to have someone help with that is great :)
**Currently taking applications for kind, pre-med volunteers at my workplace, I will pay you in Starbucks PSLs for your troubles!!**
Where are you when I volunteer?!

Ok to be fair all of the nurses and techs are extremely nice, save one who manages to make the experience much more unpleasant than it needs to be.

Yep. Most times the room's done before you guys walk in. Then you can go....ya know, actually help the patients instead of being on cleanup duty.

This thread made me vomit a little in my mouth.

Then I realized that it was a joke/troll thread and the world was a little less bleak.
I'm just going to tell myself you're right.

Where are you when I volunteer?!

Ok to be fair all of the nurses and techs are extremely nice, save one who manages to make the experience much more unpleasant than it needs to be.
There is always that one bad apple... :rolleyes:
Come work with me!

The only pre-meds that I work with are the scribes, and just because I am a tech and I have to change diapers, empty bed pans, and do other tasks they turn their noses up at, they look at me like I am some kind of outsider... Good thing none of them know I am also pre-med :ninja: All while they flaunt their Kaplan books about like Kim Kardashian showing off her arse...

I just chuckle to myself as I walk to the biohazard room with a bedpan and they look like they are about to pass out seeing something that is not out of the ordinary for the ED... (attempted intubation and patient begins to vomit, a bleeding shunt (holy crap those things BLEED), etc.) I once asked a scribe to move so I could place electrodes on a patient for an EKG and they looked at me like I was being an inconvenience to THEM! :nono::eyebrow:

The only pre-meds that I work with are the scribes, and just because I am a tech and I have to change diapers, empty bed pans, and do other tasks they turn their noses up at, they look at me like I am some kind of outsider... Good thing none of them know I am also pre-med :ninja: All while they flaunt their Kaplan books about like Kim Kardashian showing off her arse...

I just chuckle to myself as I walk to the biohazard room with a bedpan and they look like they are about to pass out seeing something that is not out of the ordinary for the ED... (attempted intubation and patient begins to vomit, a bleeding shunt (holy crap those things BLEED), etc.) I once asked a scribe to move so I could place electrodes on a patient for an EKG and they looked at me like I was being an inconvenience to THEM! :nono::eyebrow:
Yeah, I've noticed a strong sense of entitlement among my peers. "Empty a bed pan!? Isn't that what the PCA's are here for?" :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've noticed a strong sense of entitlement among my peers. "Empty a bed pan!? Do you realize I'm going to be a plastic-surgeon one day?" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gotta start somewhere.

Yeah, I've noticed a strong sense of entitlement among my peers. "Empty a bed pan!? Isn't that what the PCA's are here for?" :rolleyes:
There is an awesome doctor I worked with, and I gained immense respect for them after working only a single shift with them because when they left the room, they would ask if the patient needed anything (blanket, drink, etc.) and if the patient said yes, THE DOCTOR THEMSELVES WENT TO GET IT AND TAKE IT TO THE PATIENT!!!!! Only time I have ever seen it. That doctor is adored by all staff and is a extremely kind individual... Other doctors ask us to "get bed 4 some water."
Mad respect for them to take time out of their busy day to complete such a small task that is a huge gesture for a patient.

There is always that one bad apple... :rolleyes:
Come work with me!
Sounds like a plan! You just have to promise not to tell me I'm a terrible person if I happen to need to leave early to take care of an injured animal!

Sounds like a plan! You just have to promise not to tell me I'm a terrible person if I happen to need to leave early to take care of an injured animal!
I'd give you a pat on the back and tell you to have a safe trip to wherever you may be headed off to.
:)