Unique Application and advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Hope you are having a good holiday/break!

I will be applying in June 2022 with a 3.43 cGPA/sGPA and a 523 MCAT; this is a miracle considering the journey I have taken these past few years. Regarding my GPA , I did not do well in undergrad ( graduated with a 3.14 with many W's but excelled in my upper division sciences during my senior year); in my 2nd degree postbac of 100 credits, I received mostly As in upper division coursework with a 4.0 the last 30 credits (i.e in mostly upper division sciences and some humanities courses like Ethics).

My ecs include 4 years at a well known nonprofit serving the underserved where I built and created STEM curriculums that were implemented across the community. I also taught underserved children Health education and helped to optimize the program with senior staff. I also have 3 years of research in 3 different labs with 1 first-author national conference abstract. I also have done COVID Case Investigation since the start of the pandemic which involved crisis counseling and other skillsets that can make me a better physician. I also have several hundred hours of clinical experience in addition to volunteer work with the homeless.

The reason for this low GPA is because I had to work 30+ hrs a week during my undergrad when my parents were very ill ( both parents were unemployed, etc); I also experienced homelessness several times with my family during these times because of the significant impact their health & unemployment issues had on their credit. During these last couple of years, I have worked 60+ hours while taking classes fulltime. I also had an uncontrolled medical issue that is now under good control.

As i am crafting my school list, I have a broad range of schools. However, I am aiming for schools that offer good financial aid with good research opportunities (i..e Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, etc). I have a strong commitment to serving the underserved given my experience with homelessness which quite frankly was scary but allowed me to understand life at a higher level.

Will my application be seriously considered by these schools? I have been told to apply to these schools given my disadvantaged background (i.e. particularly with homelessness). I also have strong to very strong letters from faculty members at these schools.

I plan on taking coursework until I get in and will update the schools of my grades/progress as well.

I would be grateful for your expert opinions and how I should approach my application as I want to maximize my odds of success this upcoming cycle.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey man (current M4 DO student w/ experience on my schools admissions committee and mentoring pre-meds).

The whole process is truly a crap shoot. There is no way to predict how successful you will be. I personally interviewed many 520+ students for admission into my school as they were unsuccessful in previous cycles. My advice would be to apply to as many MD and DO schools as you can afford. Cast a wide net and then pick and choose once you get interviews/acceptances. I'd he happy to discuss your application specifically in DMs.

Reactions: 1 users