Unique life experience essay suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bored_Conscious

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Optional Essay: "Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which have not previously been presented."

I posted a previous thread on this essay topic and it has been helpful in providing me feedback on what NOT to write about. So, I am back with a potential topic to discuss.

1. My family immigrated to a very small town (not quite rural though) where around 0.004% of the population were Asian. I had to enroll in an ESL (English as a second language) course. However, my classmates were Spanish-speakers and, as a result, my Spanish-speaking teacher spoke only in Spanish and English. As my peers continued to excel, I was still struggling with learning the basics of English grammar. Luckily, my sister had an ESL teacher who retired when I started school. She taught me the fundamentals and I was able to use graphic novels to increase my own fluency. I could tie this story with the difficulties associated with having a language barrier and the importance of making use of language translator devices when talking to non-English speaking individuals.

Members don't see this ad.

Optional Essay: "Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which have not previously been presented."

I posted a previous thread on this essay topic and it has been helpful in providing me feedback on what NOT to write about. So, I am back with a potential topic to discuss.

1. My family immigrated to a very small town (not quite rural though) where around 0.004% of the population were Asian. I had to enroll in an ESL (English as a second language) course. However, my classmates were Spanish-speakers and, as a result, my Spanish-speaking teacher spoke only in Spanish and English. As my peers continued to excel, I was still struggling with learning the basics of English grammar. Luckily, my sister had an ESL teacher who retired when I started school. She taught me the fundamentals and I was able to use graphic novels to increase my own fluency. I could tie this story with the difficulties associated with having a language barrier and the importance of making use of language translator devices when talking to non-English speaking individuals.
How's this relevant to your application?

How's this relevant to your application?
I separated my personal statement into three chunks, with the first paragraph focusing on communicating important information effectively. I believe it ties in well with that experience along with my involvement with those with intellectual disabilities. Although they don't necessarily having a language-barrier (they are native English speakers), I found that communication barriers were still prevalent and found that my experience helped me pick up body cues more effectively, helping me become a better coach when I trained them for powerlifting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I separated my personal statement into three chunks, with the first paragraph focusing on communicating important information effectively. I believe it ties in well with that experience along with my involvement with those with intellectual disabilities. Although they don't necessarily having a language-barrier (they are native English speakers), I found that communication barriers were still prevalent and found that my experience helped me pick up body cues more effectively, helping me become a better coach when I trained them for powerlifting.
Sounds fine

Reactions: 1 users

To my mind, your topic is great. I also sometimes struggle with choosing the best theme for my essay. And, when my friends ask me to help them with their writing I always recommend them one great site where I personally buy custom essay. It’s been helping me for ages and I’m always delighted with the results provided by this site.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Focusing on your ESL experience and the age at which you learned English adds something to your application that helps us to interprete the rest (pardon the pun).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user