United Health Services, Binghamton, NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

A-non-y-mous

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone interned here or interviewed here? I really liked the transitional program. I thought it was a real gem. But, I worry about what may happen if I don't match into a PGY-2 spot in anesthesiology since this place is not a huge "big name program"??
 
I interviewed there.

I used to live in Binghamton. I wouldn't use "gem", but it's do-able. It seemed okay to me after my interview there, but once I saw other transitional years, it lost a bunch of luster. The program director seems very much involved, to the point where I might say "paternalistic". And the thing about doing central lines on cadavers was so bizarre that I still can't get my head around it. And where were the residents? I realize it's a small cohort, but at least hand-pick your best one and show him/her off to us. Lastly, the 4th year medical student in me has to say the hours were longer than what every other TY talked about.

The above not withstanding, I actually ranked them high, but almost entirely because 1) I ranked categorical anesthesia programs highest, so I hope I don't get to the supplemental list at all, and 2) I have very close friends in the area, and I know that $49K will go for MILES in Binghamton, and it's very close to my beloved parents.

Not sure I helped you at all, but that's one man's opinion.

dc
 
I interviewed there.

I used to live in Binghamton. I wouldn't use "gem", but it's do-able. It seemed okay to me after my interview there, but once I saw other transitional years, it lost a bunch of luster. The program director seems very much involved, to the point where I might say "paternalistic". And the thing about doing central lines on cadavers was so bizarre that I still can't get my head around it. And where were the residents? I realize it's a small cohort, but at least hand-pick your best one and show him/her off to us. Lastly, the 4th year medical student in me has to say the hours were longer than what every other TY talked about.

The above not withstanding, I actually ranked them high, but almost entirely because 1) I ranked categorical anesthesia programs highest, so I hope I don't get to the supplemental list at all, and 2) I have very close friends in the area, and I know that $49K will go for MILES in Binghamton, and it's very close to my beloved parents.

Not sure I helped you at all, but that's one man's opinion.

dc


Thanks so much.

I too wondered where the residents were...the hospital seemed a little empty.

The cadaver comment. i almost forgot all about that. I actually kind of liked the idea although I'm unsure of the ethical issues around it. i'd prefer to do a few on someone that won't suffer from the consequences.

I'm from the South. I also ranked all my categorical anesthesia programs before this one....Dunno what to think.
 
I remember what I liked...the "international travel" the possible month away in St Lucia was very attractive. i don't know how much of that is just to attract ppl to the program and not actually ever going to happen.

And the acupuncture mediicne sounded very cool.