Univ of Michigan RESIDENT CLASSIFICATION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

The Wop

I am (A) a Michigan resident
(B) Go to college out of Michigan

Thus, Univ. of Michigan doesn't believe I'm a Michigan resident and thus I must fill out a 3-page form with details such as every address where I have "physically resided" in the past 5 years. And to top it off, since I am a dependent, I need to attach my parents state and federal tax returns.

Stupid. Annoying. Anyone else have to put up with this garbage? Does this slow down the review of my application? I really hope they review applications while waiting for this residency status.

Any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

I was born in Michigan. Lived in Michigan all 21 years of my life. Went to Preschool through Undergrad in Ann Arbor. My parents lived in Michigan for 22 years. My mom even works for UMich. And still I had to fill out that damn form (which i turned in last week). You're right - it's utter garbage that we have to fill out that form (I questioned this, and they wanted me to fill out "just in case").

As for delaying your application, the dental school said that it wouldn't delay your application. However, you would be counted as an non-resident, which would affect your chances to receive an interview early on (since they do have preferences for instaters)

Hope that helps.

I am (A) a Michigan resident
(B) Go to college out of Michigan

Thus, Univ. of Michigan doesn't believe I'm a Michigan resident and thus I must fill out a 3-page form with details such as every address where I have "physically resided" in the past 5 years. And to top it off, since I am a dependent, I need to attach my parents state and federal tax returns.

Stupid. Annoying. Anyone else have to put up with this garbage? Does this slow down the review of my application? I really hope they review applications while waiting for this residency status.

Any insight?

Just got that form today. Unfortunately I dont think I will beable to make resident status as my husband is a medical resident at UM and that is why we moved to the state. I have a full time permanent job but I think because he is a resident it is "temporary employment". Kinda sux. Good to know that it doesnt delay the application process, I just emailed them about that today to find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here, I've lived in Michigan since 1987 and I'm classified as a non-resident until my application is processed. Has anyone who filled out this application been given a decision yet?

Is my app considered an out-of-stater until I am officially classified as an in-stater? If so, that somewhat sucks cuz it is harder for out-of-staters to get interviews.

I just got the form yesterday. I grew up in michigan and went to undergrad out of state so I have to fill it out and send it in asap! I really want an interview!

Hi folks, I grew up in Ann Arbor, and have been living out of state working for last 7 years. I'll be potentially starting dental school in the fall of 07 like the rest of us and Michigan is one of my target schools.

Residency qualification has more to do with "have you or your parents paid enough taxes" to support giving you the instate tuition break? That is the basis of in-state tuition! Instate tuition exists to serve the states citizens who have been funding the majority of the higher ed program through their tax dollars.

If your family has lived in Michigan forever and still does...but you haven't...the form provides a legitimate way for you (the current "out of stater") to declare your status as a resident of michigan (through your parents address most likely). They want tax forms because they want to verify that actual taxes have been paid that essentially pre-pay the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition...they also want to verify that you don't have a valid address in another state! how RUDE of them!

quit yer bitching! if the regents beleive you're a resident, it's because you have deep roots in the state and you deserve it. if you don't, you won't be declared a resident...period!

Finally, it doesn't matter when you fill this form out...so long as it's processed before matriculation. It has zero bearing on your application...assuming youre an out-of-stater filling it out...and if you think it might, think how stupid that sounds? you're an out-of-stater trying to get in-state-residency consideration (with an out-of-state address) so that maybe - just maybe - you can be in the Michigan pool of applicants...please.

CZ

Hi folks, I grew up in Ann Arbor, and have been living out of state working for last 7 years. I'll be potentially starting dental school in the fall of 07 like the rest of us and Michigan is one of my target schools.

Residency qualification has more to do with "have you or your parents paid enough taxes" to support giving you the instate tuition break? That is the basis of in-state tuition! Instate tuition exists to serve the states citizens who have been funding the majority of the higher ed program through their tax dollars.

If your family has lived in Michigan forever and still does...but you haven't...the form provides a legitimate way for you (the current "out of stater") to declare your status as a resident of michigan (through your parents address most likely). They want tax forms because they want to verify that actual taxes have been paid that essentially pre-pay the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition...they also want to verify that you don't have a valid address in another state! how RUDE of them!

quit yer bitching! if the regents beleive you're a resident, it's because you have deep roots in the state and you deserve it. if you don't, you won't be declared a resident...period!

Finally, it doesn't matter when you fill this form out...so long as it's processed before matriculation. It has zero bearing on your application...assuming youre an out-of-stater filling it out...and if you think it might, think how stupid that sounds? you're an out-of-stater trying to get in-state-residency consideration (with an out-of-state address) so that maybe - just maybe - you can be in the Michigan pool of applicants...please.

CZ

They finally declared me as a resident - and i still think its ridiculous i had to fill it out in the first place. My parents and I have never lived outside of michigan (not even for a month), and in ann arbor no less.

As for it has no bearing on your application, that is not true. Although the admissions office says it won't delay your application (which is true), the truth of the matter is that in-staters have an easier time getting into michigan. As long as they want you to fill out that form and that it has not been processed yet, you will be considered an out-of-stater with a lower chance of an interview comparatively.

I've been in Michigan continuously since 1987. Last year I didn't have this problem and I received an interview. This year I'm applying with better stats but my application is still being processed and, to my surprise, last week I received a rejection letter! I was rejected as an out-of-state applicant and they tell me that they can't re-review my file.

I'm not so sure that the residency application doesn't affect your chances......

I can see how it matters from that perspective. May I ask what you got on your two DATs?

I'm currently living out of state, and can't process that residency application until I 'sever all ties' with where my wife and i currently live...until i get in, i won't do that...so for me it can't help me.

everyones got their story. sorry to hear yours went down the way it did.
CZ