Univ. of Minnesota Entering Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalCPA

Actually, it's medicalCPA, MD, PhD now
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, there's no class thread for the U of MN on SDN, so I thought I would start one. A few people (myself included) have received interview invites for October 24th, and tips, hints, and anything of help will be appreciated.

I'll start with mine. First of all, the interview feedback thread can be found here http://more.studentdoctor.net/interviewlist.php?school=323

Also, it has been mentioned that pharmaceutical care is very important at U of MN. That's true - the very concept was defined there. There are no books on the subject at my library, but I found a veritable goldmine of articles on pharmaceutical care written by the U of MN's Peters Institute of Pharmaceutical care.
http://www.pharmacy.umn.edu/centers/peters/publications/home.html

Read and prepare yourselves. The more I learn about the school, the more incredible it appears. Good luck to all of us hopefuls!

Members don't see this ad.

Still waiting to see if my 71 PCAT will get me an interview- wish me luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting to see if my 71 PCAT will get me an interview- wish me luck!

I go to UMD, and a girl in one of my classes got an interview for Minnesota with a 52 Composite. She is a great student otherwise. So, not all is lost. :D

I go to UMD, and a girl in one of my classes got an interview for Minnesota with a 52 Composite. She is a great student otherwise. So, not all is lost. :D

Thanks! My kids are REALLY close to their grandparents who live about a mile down the road from us so getting into Minnesota is really important to us-I don't want to have to uproot the whole family for my dreams. This whole process is just so nerve racking and as many people going through the process, I don't think I'll stop doubting myself until I get an acceptance!

Hi,
I am getting ready to submit my supplemental application. Will anyone who got in or got an interview be willing to read my essays and give me an opinion?? please?

Hey everyone. Glad you are interested in U of MN. Here are somethings I can help answer. The 71 composite will get you an interview just as long as your GPA is above a 3.0 IMOP.

Make sure you have plenty of pharmacy experience. Unless you went to Minnesota for your undergrad, they are really going to look for experience.

Also pharmaceutical care is really big here. For your interview I would mention you have an interest on being part of the Phillips Neighborhood Clinic. PM me if you want more information on that. Also focus your interview on what you can do for the patient. They really like to hear that too. Good Luck to you all!! You will love it here!

Question: Where (as in hotels or other housing) can people stay during interviews?

Good luck at your interviews everyone! Minnesota just contacted me on 10/9 confirming all my application materials are in, so now I wait for that interview invite. This is my top school I'm applying to, so hopefully all goes well!

Question: Where (as in hotels or other housing) can people stay during interviews?
http://www.minneapolis.com/hotels/

Hotels downtown MPLS can be rather expensive. As you progress farther into the metro area (especially the Bloomington area...lots of hotels due to the Mall of America), the cost comes down significantly. However, depending on your other means of travel, cab fare can add up too. Good luck!

Anybody attend the U of MN preview day today? I'm feeling quite discouraged. They had a student panel of first year through fourth year students and almost all of them had a four year degree besides one person who had twenty years of pharmacy experience (not just as a tech but from many different areas of pharmacy)! I was on track to complete a bachelors but switched my undergrad major to nursing just in case I do not get in to pharmacy school. I'm really starting to second guess this decision. Also, every student on the panel had more pharmacy experience than I do. I know what I should do which is to be on track to complete my four year and accept the possibility that I may not get in this year but it is so hard! Anyone know U of MN students who got in without a degree and what did they have to add to their application (besides twenty years of experience) to make them stand out against a crowd of bachelors degrees?? Thanks!

Radisson Hotel is on Twin Cities campus right across College of Pharmacy. That's where I stayed during my interview: it is pretty costly but VERY convenient if you don't know the city well.

Anybody attend the U of MN preview day today? I'm feeling quite discouraged. They had a student panel of first year through fourth year students and almost all of them had a four year degree besides one person who had twenty years of pharmacy experience (not just as a tech but from many different areas of pharmacy)! I was on track to complete a bachelors but switched my undergrad major to nursing just in case I do not get in to pharmacy school. I'm really starting to second guess this decision. Also, every student on the panel had more pharmacy experience than I do. I know what I should do which is to be on track to complete my four year and accept the possibility that I may not get in this year but it is so hard! Anyone know U of MN students who got in without a degree and what did they have to add to their application (besides twenty years of experience) to make them stand out against a crowd of bachelors degrees?? Thanks!

Some students get into MN without bachelor's degree. I know a couple but I think most of them had some pharmacy experience - not necessarily 20 yrs but maybe just few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I received the confirmation email that my file was complete last Wednesday and now I am waiting to hear whether or not I get an interview. I'm wondering what my odds are, if offered an interview, I would be invited to the October interview date (the 24th) this late in the game? Do they usually give you a couple of weeks notice or should I be prepared just in case?

It all depends. If you're in town, or close, the chances are good that you could be invited for an interview for the 24th. Last year, there was a guy interviewing from Hawaii that learned of the invite only 3 days before! This was also in January, so there were still interview days left. I think that I found out 2 weeks beforehand.

Okay, so I received the confirmation email that my file was complete last Wednesday and now I am waiting to hear whether or not I get an interview. I'm wondering what my odds are, if offered an interview, I would be invited to the October interview date (the 24th) this late in the game? Do they usually give you a couple of weeks notice or should I be prepared just in case?

I am in the same boat as you. I received my confirmation email last Thursday, and I'm crossing my fingers I get an interview for October 24 (if one at all).

I am in the same boat as you. I received my confirmation email last Thursday, and I'm crossing my fingers I get an interview for October 24 (if one at all).

Is this your first time applying? I have developed a new habit of checking my email three times a day! Earlier interview is supposed to mean less competition so good luck to us both! :luck:

Haha, my school email login is ALWAYS up! Yes, this is my first year applying, and I will have my B.S. in the spring so hopefully they will look favorably upon that. Good luck to you too!

I guess I'll be seeing you guys on October 24th too! I am so excited I'm shaking. I'm also a little confused about something. If I scored a 71 on my PCAT and decided to try and retake it on Saturday, would the admissions committee even consider it when making their decision since my scores won't be in until around November 24th?

Around what GPA and PCAT score do you need to be competitive for admission?

Good luck everyone! Just be yourself and you'll be fine!

About the PCAT question, your score is good in combination with your GPA. Don't worry!

Minnesota does not put so much stock in PCAT scores like most schools. Remember, they look at the whole package.

Good luck everyone! Just be yourself and you'll be fine!

About the PCAT question, your score is good in combination with your GPA. Don't worry!

Minnesota does not put so much stock in PCAT scores like most schools. Remember, they look at the whole package.
Because of my high numbers, this actually makes me nervous. The whole interview makes me nervous. I just wish it was over.

...I recently discovered that I really dislike prepping for interviews.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm interviewing at twin cities in the morning session, coming from California the night before. I've never been to MN, any suggestions on the cheapest way to get from the airport to a hotel near campus? Any help would be great! Thanks!!

I'm nervous but excited for the interview too! Is Minnesota everyone's #1 choice? It is definitely my #1 pick and I'm SO NERVOUS I will mess this up! I've read the interview feedback MedicalCPA posted (thanks by the way) but I'm wondering if U of MN students could tell us what the overall feeling of the interview was and if it is more of a laid back discussion or me doing all the talking? Also, is the campus tour pretty laid back or more of a I should be on my best behavior sort of thing? Thanks!!

I'm nervous but excited for the interview too! Is Minnesota everyone's #1 choice? It is definitely my #1 pick and I'm SO NERVOUS I will mess this up! I've read the interview feedback MedicalCPA posted (thanks by the way) but I'm wondering if U of MN students could tell us what the overall feeling of the interview was and if it is more of a laid back discussion or me doing all the talking? Also, is the campus tour pretty laid back or more of a I should be on my best behavior sort of thing? Thanks!!
Concerning the interview itself, mine was very laid back. My interviewer asked me one question and then we filled the rest of the hour discussing my questions concerning the curriculum, the campus, etc, his research interests, etc. Definitely have some questions prepared just to show them that you are interested. However, the atmosphere of the interview depends on the interviewer. Others were asked questions off a sheet of paper.

Concerning the campus tour, it was very laid back. It was led by pharmacy students. To all the ladies reading this, wear shoes you can walk in easily, or bring a pair to slip on for the tour. Many of us were struggling to keep up in our heels.

Congratulations on your interview, PrePharmD! You will not mess it up. You did the hard part and got an interview; now they just want to meet you. I am currently helping to prep a friend who's interviewing at MN and WI for med school. Yeah, we have nothing on that type of interview! Try to enjoy the interview day; it's a great chance to tour the campus and meet some of the faculty. Good luck!

Last edited:

My interview was very laid back. It was in my interviewer's office. There was a comfy armchair for me to sit in and a cup of tea. I can not guarantee that yours will be the same way, but it won't be as high pressure as you might be thinking it will be. I was asked the basic questions and there was time for me to ask questions as well. It was more like an extended conversation rather than a Q&A. Remember, they just want to get to know more about you.

The school tour was pretty basic. The tour guide just showed everyone around the school and you were able to peek in on a class. I did not go on the campus/city tour....it was too cold that day!

Because of my high numbers, this actually makes me nervous. The whole interview makes me nervous. I just wish it was over.

...I recently discovered that I really dislike prepping for interviews.

If you have high numbers AND a great personality, you are golden. Be confident in your abilities! They're not there to trip you up or batter you. You wouldn't have been invited for an interview if they didn't think that you were quality.

Congrats on the interview! My interview was basically all questions from a sheet of paper. It was very relaxed and wasn't hard to answer the questions. Make yourself friendly and even crack a joke or two. You deserve this interview, and you want to give it your best effort. I did not go on the campus tour only because I took one when I was thinking of going to Minnesota for my undergrad. The tour around the pharmacy building is more important since all of your classes are there.

Good luck to you all and don't be so nervous.....it's an easy interview.

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice! You guys have been so helpful! :)

So I received confirmation on 10/10 that all my application materials have been received, but no word on an interview yet. Does anyone know if they contact you even if you don't get an interview??

So I received confirmation on 10/10 that all my application materials have been received, but no word on an interview yet. Does anyone know if they contact you even if you don't get an interview??

I received the confirmation email on 10/8 and got the interview invitation email on 10/15. Hopefully it won't be too much longer. That wait is a killer!

Interview Friday! I'm leaving on Thursday morning at 3:35 in the morning via Greyhound. :eek:

...And remember, if you will be there this Friday, please put your SDN username somewhere on your nametag so we can identify each other. I want to finally know what some of us look like.

Last edited:
was wondering how many people actually have interview at Duluth instead?

was wondering how many people actually have interview at Duluth instead?

I will be at the Twin Cities campus. I selected the Twin Cities campus because I don't live very far from campus (about 45 minutes away). I have heard that the Duluth campus has all new facilities which might have been sort of cool to see since the interview invitation said that an admissions decision would not be based on which campus you chose for an interview. Were you offered an interview?

Interview Friday! I'm leaving on Thursday morning at 3:35 in the morning via Greyhound. :eek:

...And remember, if you will be there this Friday, please put your SDN username somewhere on your nametag so we can identify each other. I want to finally know what some of us look like.

I know, I can't believe how quickly Friday is approaching!!!! I will be leaving Thursday at 8am from NY and arriving in MN at around 10:30am. I too will definitely want to meet so SDNers!!! Good luck to us all!!!!

I'm sure everyone is getting excited for interviews this Friday. I will be there to give the pharmacy building tour and I will be on the student panel for the later sessions (around 2:00) Hope to see some of you there. Good Luck!

Getting nervous yet everyone? I am!!!

OMG!!! I got an interview for November!!!

I got an interview for November as well!! Congrats to everyone and good look luck on everyone's interview Friday! Please post to let us know how it is.

Congratulations to all of you who were recently granted interviews and good luck especially to those who have interviews this Friday!! I'll be on the 12-12:30 student panel on the Twin Cities campus, and I believe I'm the only first year female on the panel, so stop and say hi if you can! Travel safely and see you on Friday!

Thanks guys and good luck to all!!!

I'll have interview in November in Twin City as well. Can't wait!
Btw, i found my interview invite email in the Spam folder! Dont know why it happened, because their previous email did get into my Inbox :rolleyes: For some reason I was waiting for their interview invite this week although my app. was just completed a week ago... That was why I checked my Spam folder... So for some of you waiting for their email, make sure to check your Spams too :)

Does anyone mind posting up their stats? I just took the PCAT this past weekend and don't feel so confident about the math section. I don't know whether to start the application process or wait another year. I'm thinking of applying to UofM since I live in this state and it's the ONLY pharmacy school here, besides Duluth (but they're both consider one school, just different campus). Anyway, if you feel uncomfortable posting it, you can PM me. I just want to know where I stand and if I'll even be granted an interview since so many of you all are already given interviews. Good luck to those who gets in!

Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me which major airport that is closest to the Twin Cities campus? I'll fly there for november interview. Thanks.

Does anyone mind posting up their stats? I just took the PCAT this past weekend and don't feel so confident about the math section. I don't know whether to start the application process or wait another year. I'm thinking of applying to UofM since I live in this state and it's the ONLY pharmacy school here, besides Duluth (but they're both consider one school, just different campus). Anyway, if you feel uncomfortable posting it, you can PM me. I just want to know where I stand and if I'll even be granted an interview since so many of you all are already given interviews. Good luck to those who gets in!

3.61 pharmcas GPA (included poor grades from six years ago)
3.95 GPA over the last 85 credits
71 PCAT

Rolling admissions= hand in your application asap- good luck!