Univ Wisc Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WISC-ite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called the admissions office yesterday and they said they are mailing out letters soon that will allow access to their online secondary. They also said that no one should be able to log on via their password until Sept 1st (or maybe it was that no one will get a letter until then).

Has anyone received a letter yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Bump

Did anyone apply to Univ. of Wisconsin? Any SDN's?

Members don't see this ad :)
okay, that's really odd b/c i definetly did my online secondary and mailed everything off to wisconsin on august 15... hope i don't have to do it again.

Originally posted by WISC-ite
Bump

Did anyone apply to Univ. of Wisconsin? Any SDN's?

I did...but I haven't received anything from them just yet.

Don't know my chances since I am a unique case. Went to their undergrad as a state resident (10 yrs) then moved to Cali for grad school and now am a IL resident. Who knows?

Originally posted by imperator
Heeeey, dpark74. You want to Madison, right? I'm here now as a freshman, and I'm starting to do my pre-med req's. Did you yours here? How was the difficulty of the school in general? Any advice? :D Gooo badgas!

Madison kicks A$$! Both academically and socially. Don't forget to relax while studying.

I highly recommend taking Chem 109 110 (I took this) or 115 116 series and not 103 104. The reason is that it covers everything you will encounter on the MCAT (I got a 12 in phys. sciences) Also, I took physics 201 202 and not 207 208 because the latter series is geared towards engineers.

If you have an opportunity to take 343 345 with Burke and Gellman (special honors) I highly recommend it since I learned a tremendous amount. Also, take Biocore 301-...? since it provides a very good foundation of biological reasoning. (I got a 13 in bio sciences.)

UW is an excellent school especially for the money (if you're in-state). If you look at the grad school rankings, you will find UW consistently within the top 15 (more often in top 10) in the sciences.

Of course, the sequences that I have mentioned are difficult, but are you there to learn or get good grades. If you ask me, if you like to learn, grades will come naturally. If you don't, go with the easier sequences.

I know U of WI is a huge school and is somewhat intimidating, but it offers so many opportunities. You just need to initiate the interactions with faculty if you want to do research. I spent a semester in the pharmacy department doing research in photodynamic therapy.

I ended up my dismal career with a 2.97 (3.14 science GPA) in chemistry. (My prereqs=3.5, though; the upper level classes and my lack of effort did me in). I ended up with a 34 on the April 2002 MCAT after studying on my own after seven years out of school.

As far as physics is concerned, the only calculus one is 207 208 unless they have a new course.

Originally posted by imperator
So how did you GPA and total MCAT score end up? Where else are you applying?

I've applied to 15 other schools in the east coast to the west, but mainly (5) in Illinois since I am an IL resident.