Universal health care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mc4435

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good resources with general information about universal health care? (as far as basic definitions, real examples of countries that have made it work, etc...) It seems like there's so much information on the internet about it and I'm not looking for all that detail. Anyone know of any good links?

Members don't see this ad.

Google the specific health care systems

A good start would be

Canada
UK
Germany

These systems are fairly different from each other and represent the major approaches to universal health care in the industrialized world.

...real examples of countries that have made it work

pretty much every other developed country in the world other than the U.S.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been reading "Who Killed Health Care?" by Regina Herzlinger. It just came out this year, so it's all very recent information. She explains several problems with U.S. health care, and suggests "consumer-driven health care" as a remedy. She also explains pros and cons of the health care systems in other countries.

Honestly though, you'd probably be fine just looking stuff up online as others suggested. I just didn't know anything about health care really, so I chose to get a book that would explain how things work now, as opposed to just saying "this is what we need" or "this is how they do it in X country."

I've been reading "Who Killed Health Care?" by Regina Herzlinger. It just came out this year, so it's all very recent information. She explains several problems with U.S. health care, and suggests "consumer-driven health care" as a remedy. She also explains pros and cons of the health care systems in other countries.

Honestly though, you'd probably be fine just looking stuff up online as others suggested. I just didn't know anything about health care really, so I chose to get a book that would explain how things work now, as opposed to just saying "this is what we need" or "this is how they do it in X country."
what is this "consumer driven healthcare" she suggests?