Universities. Does it matter which?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nazmar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this question may have been asked a million times, and I'm sorry for those that may have to face the redundancies - but when choosing a DPT program for Physical Therapy, does it matter what school it is so long as they're accredited by the appropriate means?

For example, those in Law School who go to the best Universities (I.E. UC Berkley, UCLA, Yale etc.) have the best prospects of obtaining jobs. However, that's probably because the number of Law jobs are dwindling by the bits and I'll assume job prospects for Physical Therapists are MUCH better.

Basically, does it matter where one goes for their DPT?

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

All the PTs I have talked to advised me to go to the least expensive, but accredited, school.
If you plan to eventually do a PhD, it may be advantageous to go to a more "prestigious" school now. Otherwise, save your money. Many of the larger state universities offer an incredible deal, e.g., ECU in NC; tuition there is less than 6K/year.

I talked to several PT's about this when making a decision about which school to attend. They all said the same thing as jblil. They said that the meat of your education will come from your clinicals, so you should choose those wisely. Schools didn't matter to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really. But it would be nice to attend a school that has a good reputation with students during their clinicals (how ready and prepared they were). Maybe look at NPTE pass rates and such. Oh, and as the others said if they are accredited.