University at Buffalo - SUNY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's good information to know..thanks! I was wondering if you could tell me dress code for classes? Is it business or business casual every day?

There is no strict dress code for everyday classes but they recommend to look presentable. For certain activities, they will let you know when you have to dress in business attire.The majority of students dress casually for class.

This was in an e-mail we had received from the assistant dean: ".Some students have asked me about dress code. There is no dress code, per se. BUT, think about how professionals should dress. Clean, neat, pressed clothes are good rules to live by. Always try and make a good impression on people. ".

Members don't see this ad.

There is no strict dress code for everyday classes but they recommend to look presentable. For certain activities, they will let you know when you have to dress in business attire.The majority of students dress casually for class.

This was in an e-mail we had received from the assistant dean: ".Some students have asked me about dress code. There is no dress code, per se. BUT, think about how professionals should dress. Clean, neat, pressed clothes are good rules to live by. Always try and make a good impression on people. ".
OK. So look presentable is the message. Does that include nicer jeans? The students that are in my classes now look as though they just woke up, so having peers looking nicer for class would be refreshing! lol

Members don't see this ad :)
OK. So look presentable is the message. Does that include nicer jeans? The students that are in my classes now look as though they just woke up, so having peers looking nicer for class would be refreshing! lol

Yea, most of my classmates wear nicer jeans/pants and presentable clothes, which is refreshing! ( Although you do get a few in sweats / sweatshirt ) Congrats on the interview by the way!

Yea, most of my classmates wear nicer jeans/pants and presentable clothes, which is refreshing! ( Although you do get a few in sweats / sweatshirt ) Congrats on the interview by the way!
Thank you so much! I hope to be a P1 to your P2 next year! I'd love to keep in touch and meet you next fall if all goes well at the interview. How are you liking the curriculum? I saw that it was new along with the facilities....

Thank you so much! I hope to be a P1 to your P2 next year! I'd love to keep in touch and meet you next fall if all goes well at the interview. How are you liking the curriculum? I saw that it was new along with the facilities....

I'm not sure if I'm going to be at the November interview or not but yea, definitely! The new curriculum is pretty good because they get you right into pharmacy topics since we've taken a lot of pre reqs. There are a few brand new classes but the professors are continuously trying to improve things which is good!

Can any of you share your stats? And what is the general standards for admission for this school assuming when has his/her bachelors?

Can any of you share your stats? And what is the general standards for admission for this school assuming when has his/her bachelors?

I had 3.76 GPA, BA in Chemistry, a little shadowing in a hospital pharmacy and a lot of research experience.

Admissions said they are looking for at least 3.0 GPA, above/around ~70% percentiles on PCAT, extracurricular activities, especially pharmacy experience (whether it's shadowing, being a pharm tech, basically having an idea about what the pharmacy profession is like). I definitely think the pharmacy experience is a big plus if you have some.

I got 3.45 GPA / 3.4 Science-Math GPA, few extracurricular's, volunteered in a hospital and shadowed a pharmacist. Plan to take the PCAT soon and I am an out-of-state student. Any chance for me?

I got 3.45 GPA / 3.4 Science-Math GPA, few extracurricular's, volunteered in a hospital and shadowed a pharmacist. Plan to take the PCAT soon and I am an out-of-state student. Any chance for me?
Yes, I think so. Just do well on the PCAT and you have a pretty good app....

Word? Cause I'm about to go all out for the PCAT. Pray for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good information to know..thanks! I was wondering if you could tell me dress code for classes? Is it business or business casual every day?

There is no dress code for UB. The teachers expect you to dress up when you do IPPE's/ APPE's and for practice counseling sessions or labs but other than that students usually wear whatever they want. Each professor will tell you which days they expect you to dress up and its usually business casual.

There is no dress code for UB. The teachers expect you to dress up when you do IPPE's/ APPE's and for practice counseling sessions or labs but other than that students usually wear whatever they want. Each professor will tell you which days they expect you to dress up and its usually business casual.
Great...thanks for the info. I thought it was business casual with white coat, so I'm happy to hear that isn't so.

How do you like the program?

Hi,
If you get an interview, can you request a Skype interview because you can't make it in-person?

Hi,
If you get an interview, can you request a Skype interview because you can't make it in-person?
From what I've seen and read on here, it seems they offer you the opportunity to Skype if you're in Cali or something....but there have been Cali people who didn't get the offer. If you get an interview invite, just call them and ask. I'm sure it's not that rare for someone to request it.

From what I've seen and read on here, it seems they offer you the opportunity to Skype if you're in Cali or something....but there have been Cali people who didn't get the offer. If you get an interview invite, just call them and ask. I'm sure it's not that rare for someone to request it.

I'm from California and I wasn't offerred that. If I already confirmed an interview, can we still call and ask about it..?

I just checked with the adcom office and found out that my LoRs still haven't arrived yet :( God, am I too late for this cycle?

I just checked with the adcom office and found out that my LoRs still haven't arrived yet :( God, am I too late for this cycle?

After the November interview date, there is another in January and a couple after that so you still have time! I would perhaps talk to those who are writing your LoR and ask them to submit them soon. I had to do that with one of mine LoR who was holding back my whole application.

Also, I've never heard about anyone doing a Skype interview but I would e-mail Admissions and ask: [email protected]

aww they better not offer Skype interviews! I already bought my (very expensive) plane ticket!!!

aww they better not offer Skype interviews! I already bought my (very expensive) plane ticket!!!

Agreed! BTW, are you staying at the Doubletree at Amherst? Where are you flying from? I'm arriving at 5 in the afternoon and I start my trip at like 5 in the morning. I couldn't get the student discount. The lady said that since they changed to Hilton, they no longer offerred it....

Agreed! BTW, are you staying at the Doubletree at Amherst? Where are you flying from? I'm arriving at 5 in the afternoon and I start my trip at like 5 in the morning. I couldn't get the student discount. The lady said that since they changed to Hilton, they no longer offerred it....

Not sure if you booked the doubletree yet, but i just booked the holiday inn and called up saying I wasgoing to be there for the interview... they gave me the $99 rate for the night. You might want to call that place.

"Holiday Inn Buffalo Amherst – a student rate of $99 and a complimentary shuttle to and from the Buffalo/Niagara International Airport, the Niagara Falls International Airport, Amtrak, and between the hotel and South or North Campus."

Yeah I booked at Holiday Inn just for that reason. $99 is pretty steep even with the discount, but I figure the free breakfast and free shuttle between the airport AND the school makes it worth it! Travel at my interviews so far has been a nightmare, so this is a huge burden lifted off my shoulders.

I'm flying in from California, so my plane departs San Diego at 6am and lands at 4pm Buffalo time. Sounds like you're flying in from the west coast as well?

I am also flying in from California and still have not booked my flight or hotel. Is anyone else attending the Albany interview on the 15th?? I am trying to figure out if I should rent a car or take the train from Albany to Buffalo on the evening of the 15th. Any inputs from anyone familiar with that area would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah I booked at Holiday Inn just for that reason. $99 is pretty steep even with the discount, but I figure the free breakfast and free shuttle between the airport AND the school makes it worth it! Travel at my interviews so far has been a nightmare, so this is a huge burden lifted off my shoulders.

I'm flying in from California, so my plane departs San Diego at 6am and lands at 4pm Buffalo time. Sounds like you're flying in from the west coast as well?

Yeah $99 is pretty pricey but my parents say that its worth it due to its convenience, which I completely agree! I'm flying from northern California, not quite sure which airport yet because I want to arrive a bit earlier but its looking unlikely. I'm also staying after the interview for a day and flying out Saturday..what about you?

Great...thanks for the info. I thought it was business casual with white coat, so I'm happy to hear that isn't so.

How do you like the program?

I definitely love this program. I am really happy with my choice to come to UB. The new curriculum they have in place allows us to learn similar topics in a few different classes at once so everything compliments very nicely. There are also so many opportunities to get involved and network in the community.

If anyone ever has any questions about the program, feel free to ask!

I definitely love this program. I am really happy with my choice to come to UB. The new curriculum they have in place allows us to learn similar topics in a few different classes at once so everything compliments very nicely. There are also so many opportunities to get involved and network in the community.

If anyone ever has any questions about the program, feel free to ask!
That's great! I am in state and this is my first choice....looking forward to the interview process and meeting some current students. Will you be there on the 16th?

Hello and congratulations for those who have received an interview invitation! :) A little later than last year but I'm a P2 at UB, if you have questions about the school or the area I'll try to help. I'm from the West Coast so last year was quite an adjustment for me as well (mainly with the weather - even though it was "mild" for Buffalo it was still a real winter for me haha, and a lack of good ethnic food).
In-state residency is really easy to get, I don't know anybody who applied, had all the documents and didn't get it. Although like many people have said, from the class of 2016 onward, you start out paying graduate fee :( However, it'll still be cheaper than many out-of-state and private schools when you start to pay in-state fee 2nd year onward.

I am also flying in from California and still have not booked my flight or hotel.

You better get a move on! Plane tickets are only going to get more ridiculous the longer you wait.

I'm also staying after the interview for a day and flying out Saturday..what about you?

I wasn't able to get a flight home Friday night so I'll be leaving Saturday as well.

That's great! I am in state and this is my first choice....looking forward to the interview process and meeting some current students. Will you be there on the 16th?

I am not going to be there on the 16th unfortunately, but I am hoping to be able to help with some of the later interviews. They are a really great opportunity to meet current and potential new classmates though. When the admissions faculty gives you introductory information make sure you listen because they will give you tips and talking point ideas for the interview after. Also take advantage of the break out session because you will have an opportunity to talk to current students who are very helpful!

[deleted by danceintherain]

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you receive an interview, I assume you've made the cut on paper, yes?
Is everyone who has 3.0GPA and >70 PCAT invited for an interview?

So if you receive an interview, I assume you've made the cut on paper, yes?
Is everyone who has 3.0GPA and >70 PCAT invited for an interview?

The school looks at a lot of different factors when selecting candidates. Having a good GPA and PCAT score are definitely helpful but they also look at how strong of an essay you have, what kinds of letters of recommendation, and also the interview process. I also found it really helpful to meet with one of the admissions staff in person when applying because they give great advice and will let you know some things you can do to improve your chances of getting selected. The interview also gives students the opportunity to learn more about the school and make sure that it will be a good fit.

What is the interview:acceptance ratio?

230 interviewed, 125 accepted the school's offer/Class of 2016. The 125 students in the entering class doesn't include those who were offered a seat in the school but did not accept the offer (ie went to another school). So more than 125 were offered a spot.

Stoked for Friday WOO! Not stoked for a 6:15 am flight tho boo...

Can you tell us how the interviews were conducted?

And congrats on your acceptances!

Hey guys how long did it take you to hear back from the school for an interview? I recieved an email saying they recieved my application and even an email saying i was missing one prereq but nothing since then.

Just got my interview offer for 1/25! I'm excited!

Hey guys how long did it take you to hear back from the school for an interview? I recieved an email saying they recieved my application and even an email saying i was missing one prereq but nothing since then.

I heard of my acceptance the following Tuesday.. so 2 business days afterward.

Can you tell us how the interviews were conducted?

And congrats on your acceptances!

First is a big info session given by the dean, where there must have been 30 interviewees (in my group, anyway). Very informative and helpful, and the dean is incredibly friendly. Then your 15 minute essay, for which everyone gets different prompts. You keep your essay with you and do the following three things in an order determined by your group number: Tour of the pharmacy building, interview with two faculty (which is when you give your essay to them), and group interview. The group interview consists of a ethical dilemma that you have to discuss and come up with a solution to, and then present it to current pharmacy students. Everything is pretty laid back, like most other programs. After that your free to leave, or you can stay for the optional campus tour. I would recommend staying for the tour, as it is a beautiful campus with an awesome library.

Oh yeah and there's doughnuts and coffee!

And I heard back the following Tuesday as well.

I was looking at the Amherst Holiday Inn and they have "advanced purchases" that are only $79.99, but non-refundable. Did anyone look into these? Also, what time did you check out of the hotels when you were leaving? Checkout seems to be at 12 pm. Did anyone bring all their luggage to the interview?

Did not expect to get a Interview here but i did!! 1/25. Any tips from past Interviewees?

Just the usual...they're very friendly and there's no surprises.

As far as luggage, one girl broght hers and they let her lock it up somewhere during the interview day. The Holiday inn will also hold your luggage behind the desk if you'd prefer.