University of Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeff2005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this program? I've never heard it mentioned. I applied there because I heard the hospital was great and the cost of living is low. Did anyone else apply there?

Members don't see this ad.

Applied and interviewed at UAB a couple of years ago. Pros: Friendly residents, decent-sized hospital, lots of restaurants close to campus, low cost of living. Cons: The program director was way too aggressive in recruiting (called me many times post-interview to try to discern where I'd rank them, which is a match no-no). Relatively small-sized, isolated city.

There were perks to interviewing there: Two free nights in fairly good hotel. Several meals in nice restaurants. Downside: Tons of walking. Eleven 30-minute interviews crammed in a day. Even with comfortable shoes was a challenge.

I work with a heme-path type who went there, like 10 years ago. He went o WashU for med school and seems to be doing well now as an Asst Prof. I guess it's a pretty good program, but it's only a guess.

-X

jeff2005 said:
Does anyone know anything about this program? I've never heard it mentioned. I applied there because I heard the hospital was great and the cost of living is low. Did anyone else apply there?

Don't have too much to add but I will chime in by saying that the PD at my school advised me to apply to Alabama. He said it was a solid program.

I ended up not applying there but that was purely for geographical reasons. I personally don't have much interest in going down to the south for residency.