University of Alabama

Started by jeff2005
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jeff2005

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know anything about this program? I've never heard it mentioned. I applied there because I heard the hospital was great and the cost of living is low. Did anyone else apply there?
 
Applied and interviewed at UAB a couple of years ago. Pros: Friendly residents, decent-sized hospital, lots of restaurants close to campus, low cost of living. Cons: The program director was way too aggressive in recruiting (called me many times post-interview to try to discern where I'd rank them, which is a match no-no). Relatively small-sized, isolated city.

There were perks to interviewing there: Two free nights in fairly good hotel. Several meals in nice restaurants. Downside: Tons of walking. Eleven 30-minute interviews crammed in a day. Even with comfortable shoes was a challenge.
 
I work with a heme-path type who went there, like 10 years ago. He went o WashU for med school and seems to be doing well now as an Asst Prof. I guess it's a pretty good program, but it's only a guess.

-X

jeff2005 said:
Does anyone know anything about this program? I've never heard it mentioned. I applied there because I heard the hospital was great and the cost of living is low. Did anyone else apply there?
 
Don't have too much to add but I will chime in by saying that the PD at my school advised me to apply to Alabama. He said it was a solid program.

I ended up not applying there but that was purely for geographical reasons. I personally don't have much interest in going down to the south for residency.