University of Arizona c/o 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Side-note: Anyone have some links they may have bookmarked either from SDN or some other sites on interview do's and don'ts, tips, etc? Your help would be much appreciated! :)

http://www.career.arizona.edu/docs/grad-school/pharmacy-admissions-interviews.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Members don't see this ad.

My suit came today!! So excited Ordered it online and it fits perfect! 9 more days... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone who has their interview tomorrow! Can't wait to hear about .

How'd it go?

My interview was a mixed experience. I answered professionally and directly to the point. The essay is not difficult at all, and you should be alright. They give you 25minutes to write about 300 words for the prompt, whether you go under or over, it's not a big deal

My interview and it seems from my colleagues' interviews is that they don't have a standard set of questions they ask all students; they really just ask what they have on their mind after reading your application. One of the interviewers even said, "To be honest, I didn't have enough time going over your application responses." - via my friend.

As you can see, I felt that the interview process was that was really rushed, almost disorganized. The process had started 8 minutes late, and even during my interview, my interviewer was just shooting questions left and right so that he could get me out and interview the next person. As a result, I kind of felt detached from the interviewer, and it made me lose interest in the school.

Also, since it was the first day of interviews, the students who gave the tours were lost at times and didn't know what where to lead us. Since it was a Saturday, most of the faculty was not working and the whole school seemed like a ghost town. =/

However, one of the redeeming qualities was Dr. Tong, the associate dean of the college. He gave a really inspiring speech about the college's philosophy, and how we student pharmacists should look forwards to pharmacy's future, and what we can do to become the best leaders. That helped do a 180 on my thoughts about the interview process.

My interview was a mixed experience. I answered professionally and directly to the point. The essay is not difficult at all, and you should be alright. They give you 25minutes to write about 300 words for the prompt, whether you go under or over, it's not a big deal

My interview and it seems from my colleagues' interviews is that they don't have a standard set of questions they ask all students; they really just ask what they have on their mind after reading your application. One of the interviewers even said, "To be honest, I didn't have enough time going over your application responses." - via my friend.

As you can see, I felt that the interview process was that was really rushed, almost disorganized. The process had started 8 minutes late, and even during my interview, my interviewer was just shooting questions left and right so that he could get me out and interview the next person. As a result, I kind of felt detached from the interviewer, and it made me lose interest in the school.

Also, since it was the first day of interviews, the students who gave the tours were lost at times and didn't know what where to lead us. Since it was a Saturday, most of the faculty was not working and the whole school seemed like a ghost town. =/

However, one of the redeeming qualities was Dr. Tong, the associate dean of the college. He gave a really inspiring speech about the college's philosophy, and how we student pharmacists should look forwards to pharmacy's future, and what we can do to become the best leaders. That helped do a 180 on my thoughts about the interview process.

There was a lot of confusion.... doors that were supposed to be unlocked remained locked, rooms became unavailable, people's inspiring speeches went too long, and more. It happens, some can adjust, some cant.

All of us students volunteered to be there on a Sat morning, when we have tons of work to get done. Our hearts and minds may not have totally been in it 100%. I hope you filled out your survey and spoke about these things so stuff can be changed.

There was a lot of confusion.... doors that were supposed to be unlocked remained locked, rooms became unavailable, people's inspiring speeches went too long, and more. It happens, some can adjust, some cant.

All of us students volunteered to be there on a Sat morning, when we have tons of work to get done. Our hearts and minds may not have totally been in it 100%. I hope you filled out your survey and spoke about these things so stuff can be changed.

Yeah, I did fill out the survey. I'm grateful that everyone volunteered their own time to help out with the event, and understand that sometimes things just happen. Thanks for responding.

Last edited:

It was Skaggs huh? Since they changed the doors out to key card access, I heard there were some issues.

It was Skaggs huh? Since they changed the doors out to key card access, I heard there were some issues.

Skaggs was jacked up, third floor was re-locking somehow, and then there was another meeting going on...it was a perfect storm.

I ordered transcripts from my 5 different schools two weeks ago and application page still says they haven't received them. Does anyone know how long it takes them to process transcripts? Should I order another set rush delivery? Should I email Marty? I don't want to be pushy but I also don't want to be denied because my transcripts weren't in by the February 1st deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ordered transcripts from my 5 different schools two weeks ago and application page still says they haven't received them. Does anyone know how long it takes them to process transcripts? Should I order another set rush delivery? Should I email Marty? I don't want to be pushy but I also don't want to be denied because my transcripts weren't in by the February 1st deadline.

Email Marty

She said don't contact her regarding transcripts at the interview. If you are being considered as an applicant and she doesn't have them by the deadline, she will contact you so it can be corrected.

My interview day went really well. It was very laid back and smooth. Everyone was really friendly. We had a brief orientation where Dr tong talked about attributes and we introduced ourselves and the pharmacy students introduced themselves. Then we went to interview and it was really not scary at all. I know one person asked what disease would you be? The essays were really easy. They gave you three choices of topics to choose from. 25 minutes to write 3 blue book pages. Then we sat and talked to a researcher briefly and had a short q and a with third year students. Then we had a quick Tour of the poison control center and the lab where you learn. Then we got cookies while Marty talked about the next step. Overall a really great experience. I can't wait for February 27th to get here!

Last edited:
I think I got offered an interview today but I'm not sure... One of my classes they said they needed a description of what the lab was in order to have it approved. Marty said: "For your planning purposes, your application has to be approved so you can then be invited to interview. There is only one interview date remaining, 2/15 from 2:00pm to almost 6pm".

Anyone know if I should start booking a flight or not?

I think I got offered an interview today but I'm not sure... One of my classes they said they needed a description of what the lab was in order to have it approved. Marty said: "For your planning purposes, your application has to be approved so you can then be invited to interview. There is only one interview date remaining, 2/15 from 2:00pm to almost 6pm".

Its pretty vague but sounds hopeful! I would make my travel reservations but maybe do travelers insurance JUST in case... I think you're fine though. Where are you from?

Can you rephrase this? :laugh:

From what I understood, one of the labs you took was used for one of the pharmacy school entrance requirements and the Admissions Committee wants a description of the lab to make sure it meets their requirements?

Based on the response you received, it's hard to tell if they would like to offer you a position, but need verification of the class. Get the description in right away and contact the PrePharm Adviser (probably Marty Baker) regarding the class description update ASAP. If you received a personalized email, I would bet that they would like to offer you an interview date, but need to verify the lab course first.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Yeah she made is sound like after the associate dean approves my lab credit my application would be approved but I guess I will see when she emails me back tomorrow. I go to the University of Utah

Can you rephrase this? :laugh:

From what I understood, one of the labs you took was used for one of the pharmacy school entrance requirements and the Admissions Committee wants a description of the lab to make sure it meets their requirements?

Based on the response you received, it's hard to tell if they would like to offer you a position, but need verification of the class. Get the description in right away and contact the PrePharm Adviser (probably Marty Baker) regarding the class description update ASAP. If you received a personalized email, I would bet that they would like to offer you an interview date, but need to verify the lab course first.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Well its a research lab that I'm taking, but the title of the class is just independent research. So I think they just needed to know that it was an actual lab credit, at least I think. It was Marty that emailed me asking for the description so that's why I'm hoping its an interview offer they just need the verification first.

Well its a research lab that I'm taking, but the title of the class is just independent research. So I think they just needed to know that it was an actual lab credit, at least I think. It was Marty that emailed me asking for the description so that's why I'm hoping its an interview offer they just need the verification first.

Yeah, that sounds like good news for you. Congrats! I had a friend doing independent research as well and they (COP) asked her for a description of the research lab she worked in, how long, and who her PI was.

Good luck!

I guess my credit was approved cause I got an interview invite today :)

Will anyone on here be interviewing on Friday, February 1st? :)

Last edited:
Completely forgot to ask this, but are the interviews open-file or closed-file?

Thanks!

They are open file I believe. Although my interviewer didn't have ANYTHING in front of him or make any reference to having seen my file. He didn't have a notepad or folder or anything. Just a bottle of water lol. But I'm almost positive its open file because one of my friends said their interviewer didn't have enough time to read their file before hand so I assume he had access to it.

I just wanted to thank everyone that contributed for all of the advice and insight! Your help is truly appreciated.

Just a few notes before I forget:

The interview portion is what stresses most people out and you have absolutely no reason to be stressed out.

The questions mainly center around talking about who you are, why you chose to pursue pharmacy, what you like to do with your free time, and a moral/ethical type question (i.e. Name one time where you faced a moral dilemma).

Everyone is beyond friendly from the UofA CoP and all of your fellow interviewees are just as nervous as you are, so just take a deep breath and stay upbeat. Please realize that the whole process is really just a way to get to see and know you better as a person and not to interrogate you and find flaws in your character or personality.

The essay is nothing too complicated. Just make sure you write clearly and coherently.

Other than that, enjoy it. It's actually quite fun and later on you'll laugh at how nervous you were going into the interview.

Good luck!

I just wanted to thank everyone that contributed for all of the advice and insight! Your help is truly appreciated.

Just a few notes before I forget:

The interview portion is what stresses most people out and you have absolutely no reason to be stressed out.

The questions mainly center around talking about who you are, why you chose to pursue pharmacy, what you like to do with your free time, and a moral/ethical type question (i.e. Name one time where you faced a moral dilemma).

Everyone is beyond friendly from the UofA CoP and all of your fellow interviewees are just as nervous as you are, so just take a deep breath and stay upbeat. Please realize that the whole process is really just a way to get to see and know you better as a person and not to interrogate you and find flaws in your character or personality.

The essay is nothing too complicated. Just make sure you write clearly and coherently.

Other than that, enjoy it. It's actually quite fun and later on you'll laugh at how nervous you were going into the interview.

Good luck!

Glad to hear your interview was as pleasant as mine. :) now the hard part.... Waiting

Has anyone's transcript not been entered yet. I turned my transcripts in person a week ago and it's still in awaiting status and today is the deadline

I'm reluctant not to send an email since someone posted not to email Marty about them.

Has anyone's transcript not been entered yet. I turned my transcripts in person a week ago and it's still in awaiting status and today is the deadline

I'm reluctant to email since someone posted not to email her.

3 out of 5 of mine still have not been entered. Marty said she would let us know if she doesn't get them. She said don't worry about the deadline.

I'm reluctant not to send an email since someone posted not to email Marty about them.

Mine were hand delivered (on a Fri.) and took over a week (two Mondays). Don't stress it, you won't be disqualified for not having them in by any specific deadline, so long as you made the transcript requests and have confirmations.

For those of you set on U of A, what makes it stand out to you? I've heard that they do a good job in clinically training pharmacists, I've heard good things about some of their rotations, and if you can get in state tuition it is cheaper than a lot of other options.

For those of you set on U of A, what makes it stand out to you? I've heard that they do a good job in clinically training pharmacists, I've heard good things about some of their rotations, and if you can get in state tuition it is cheaper than a lot of other options.

UofA was honestly the only school I looked into because it was the only school that met my personal needs at this point. I am just lucky that the only school that meets my personal needs happens to also have a GREAT pharmacy program.

I like the idea of:

* having only 100 students in our cohort,
* the 95-99% graduation rate/naplex passing,
* the extensive amount of opportunities to try different environments in pharmacy both clinically and community. There are seven 6-week rotations in your fourth year in different settings + 5% of the curriculum is hands on.
* Ranking 10th in the nation (although not really important to me).
* Extensive opportunities for research especially if interested in toxicology
* huge support network. 2nd and 3rd year students are really friendly and quick to help out 1st years.
* 16 student organization to get involved in and meet new people, get involved in the community
*I love the facilities and the faculty (that I've met so far)

Honestly, I cant think of a single negative thing about UofA. lol.

As for pricing, Im going to be in-state tuition if I get in but the only school Ive compared it to is Midwestern and its definitely cheaper to go 4 years at UofA in state than go 3 years in state at Midwestern.

For me, the UofA was my top choice because of:
Affordability (In-state)
Comfort (I've spent my entire life in Tucson and all four years of undergrad studying here)
Familiarity
Proximity to my family (they live in Tucson)
MPH/PharmD dual degree program (I'm very familiar with the folks at the College of Public Health)
Chance to look into the Pharmacoeconomics program and have it as an option
Well-established faculty; great base to build a network on
Great 4th year rotations program that is run very well
Student organizations/groups; very plentiful and active. Huge deal for me and even those who may not think they're into that sort of thing early on (I wasn't at all when I started college).

Those are just to name a few.

Wont be there Friday but Congrats on getting accepted to so many places! That's awesome! Is UofA your top choice?

Wont be there Friday but Congrats on getting accepted to so many places! That's awesome! Is UofA your top choice?
Thanks! UofA wasn't my top choice, but it's very high on my list now, since my husband just got into their grad school program. My interview went well! All the faculty and students were very nice and approachable. Less than 2 weeks until decisions come out :)

Thanks! UofA wasn't my top choice, but it's very high on my list now, since my husband just got into their grad school program. My interview went well! All the faculty and students were very nice and approachable. Less than 2 weeks until decisions come out :)

Hah, I met you today!