University of Arizona c/o 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
declined my offer of acceptance, best wishes to those who are waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an applicant just like you, so I wouldn't be great at giving you curriculum type comparisons/analysis.

However with regards to:
*Cost; UA-About 24K/year vs. MWU-About 47K/year

*Facilities; UA has some of the newest and best facilities any pharmacy school has to offer along with a large university system for research, academic needs, and resources

*Faculty; Not sure about MWU, but UA COP has some very well-established professors and instructors involved and the research faculty are top-notch.

*Living; I'm a Tucson native, so I'm probably biased, but I would hate to be stuck out in Glendale and have to drive quit a distance to get to really nice/established places. Tucson is a city with 1 million + people, but has a college town feel. The UA is situated perfectly in the city and it's a great place to spend 4 (or more) years

Just a few points.

According to the FAQ on the UA website, tuition fee cost 13-14k /year for in state, did i miss something?

http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/programs/prepharmacy/faqs/tuition

I think you saw the raw number, without the extra professional fee tacked on.
$22,639 In-state
38,341.58 Out-of-state

But thanks for bringing that up. I just noticed I was double-counting the professional fee, so it might actually be even more cheap to go to UA than I first thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
According to the FAQ on the UA website, tuition fee cost 13-14k /year for in state, did i miss something?

How much is total of in-state tuition, the professional fee (tuition differential) and mandatory fees per semester for a PharmD student?
$11,464.79 for Spring 2013.

I wish it was 13K a year! :)

I too am on the alternate list. I thought I had a pretty good case for admission with:
pre-req gpa: 3.5
science gpa: 3.6
cum gpa: 3.2
pcat comp score: 88 (85 chem)
4 months shadowing at a rural hospital pharmacy
Average to above average volunteering/ extra curriculars
AZ resident
Felt good about my interview day

Looking back I realize I had some flaws in my application:
First year and a half had a poor gpa (non pre-req classes)
Pre-reqs done at a CC
Possibly had 1 LOR that was not strong
Could be over confident about the interview day

Does anyone have information about movement in the alternate list? I remember them saying that there are less applicants due to the rise in tuition at the U of A. Hopefully, that also means more movement in the Alt list. Just wish I knew where I was on the list...

Also, does talking to Marty help?

Ndooda, do you have any more information regarding residencies at UA? I really want to do at least one residency but I was under the impression that there weren't many opportunities in Tucson. I really liked UA too, even more than UCSD, to be honest. The students and faculty were a lot more approachable than at UCSD. Rxlea is right. If UA moved to PharmCAS there would be a lot more applicants. UCSD's applicant pool also comes from the fact that it is in San Diego, and it's a UC, which automatically gives it prestige even though the school just turned 10 years old.

I'm not sure about the upportunities in the Tucson area--rxlea would probably know better than me! I'm guessing alot of students leave Tucson for their residencies. I agree with you though about UA. I don't know if it was the way the interview was set up, but I already felt like I was part of the school before even being accepted. They were extremely welcoming and it says a lot about their students.

I too am on the alternate list. I thought I had a pretty good case for admission with:
AZ resident

Essentially same as mine except my cumulative was higher and my PCAT was 89 comp, 87 chem, 95 bio. I also spent a year of volunteer time at UMC. Good luck!

PS. I've seen some people from last year's thread discuss the issues Marty highlighted for them when they didn't get in, so I'm assuming that it's not unusual to talk to her...

PSS. I completed my education at the UofA, so maybe that made a significant difference?

AZ resident

Pre-reqs done at a CC

Does anyone have information about movement in the alternate list? I remember them saying that there are less applicants due to the rise in tuition at the U of A. Hopefully, that also means more movement in the Alt list. Just wish I knew where I was on the list...

Having pre-reqs done at a CC is NOT a disadvantage. I got the majority of mine done at various CC's. I also don't think they weigh too heavily on the PCAT.

I think you probably have a good chance of being taken off the waitlist based on what you posted. I would talk to marty about what you can improve if you don't get off the waitlist but I dont think talking to marty improves your chances of getting off the waitlist (just a guess).

AZ resident

Pre-reqs done at a CC

Tons of movement off the waitlist.

Give it a week or two and contact Marty to get some ideas of how to increase your chances next year.

What areas are safe to live by U of A? I'm currently looking for an apartment of condo. Can you let me know areas or zip codes are are good? Thanks!

What areas are safe to live by U of A? I'm currently looking for an apartment of condo. Can you let me know areas or zip codes are are good? Thanks!

Stay out of South Tucson and the rest is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even northeast and northwest of the U of A campus?

My husband wont let us live anywhere near UofA because he lived in two or three apartments and they got broken into and his ATVs got stolen. We live in green valley/sahuarita now which is a nice community but more older people so don't expect to make a lot of friends here. We are moving to oro valley (where I know a lot of UofA students tend to live) or by the military base which I've also heard is a good area to be in.

North of River Rd is what I tell people. It's nice up that way. I live west of Silverbell, though, and I love my neighborhood-- quiet, affordable, safe, with easy access to downtown and only a 15-20 minute drive (in morning traffic) to school. Oro Valley area is nice but far with an annoying commute.

Im nervous about getting all my immunizations done in time for the August 1st deadline. I have a doctors appointment for March 29th (thats the soonest they could get me in). But on the health screenings form it says the 3rd injection for hepB is due 5 months after the 2nd injection and 5 months from now is after the August 1st deadline. Will it be okay cause I started the immunization process and will have 2 of the 3 by the deadline or do you think I'll run into trouble for it?

Im nervous about getting all my immunizations done in time for the August 1st deadline. I have a doctors appointment for March 29th (thats the soonest they could get me in). But on the health screenings form it says the 3rd injection for hepB is due 5 months after the 2nd injection and 5 months from now is after the August 1st deadline. Will it be okay cause I started the immunization process and will have 2 of the 3 by the deadline or do you think I'll run into trouble for it?

I'm worried about the same thing, but I'm sure it will be okay. I would ask Marty just to be sure or give her a heads up in case you won't make it by the deadline.

Have you never been immunized for hepatitis B or you no longer have the records? If you have received past immunization for hep, your physician will probably just order an antibody titer instead.

As long as your series will be done by Dec...you will be fine.

Do you knows know what the rate for student loans will be?

Last edited:
So excited!!! I have officially decided on the University of Arizona! Can't wait to meet you all! Just have to get through the paperwork now...

Congrats! What was the final push to go from SD to UA?
Thanks BobbyK! My husband and I made this decision; in the end, UA met both of our needs more than any other option we had. Also, I'm looking forward to getting out of SD and seeing and experiencing new places, so that in itself put UCSD lower on my list. In the end, UA is a better school for me and my husband! Can't wait to start school!

If anyone is looking for a place to live next year, I am looking for another female roommate to share my house with for the upcoming school year. Message me if you are interested and I can send you more details about my house.

Does anyone know when we should expect an email about our financial aid?

Is it hard to find a tech job in Tucson?