University of Arizona (entering 2014)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey PillPusha T, I would not recommending calling Marty continuously. I know she is very busy. The school generally does not forget about people and calling constantly will not help your odds. On the pharmacy website it says: "Avoid phone calls and drop-in inquiries related to your uncertainty, anxiety and uneasiness as the admission process evolves. Do not attempt to force responses sooner than others are prepared to offer them! Patience is a real virtue in this arena. "

I am in the college and I know it takes a few days for Marty to get back to my emails because she is completely swamped right now. Just be patient and hang in there.
Okay good advice. I will wait it out. Just super anxious right now. Especially since the odds are against me being out-of-state and all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This forum has been dead for a bit. Can anyone discuss how todays interview went or if anyone was invited recently to one?

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, the interview went pretty well. I saw my friends that are current students since they were there to help out today. Everyone was really friendly and hopefully I will be here in the fall.

For me, the interview went pretty well. I saw my friends that are current students since they were there to help out today. Everyone was really friendly and hopefully I will be here in the fall.
What kind of questions did they ask?

Pill Pusha T. There were about 230 applications submitted, and they are going to conduct approximately 180 interviews (per Marty). She also said to tell those who haven't heard back about an interview that the admissions office is still working on it. So, do not panic yet.

Pill Pusha T. There were about 230 applications submitted, and they are going to conduct approximately 180 interviews (per Marty). She also said to tell those who haven't heard back about an interview that the admissions office is still working on it. So, do not panic yet.
Thanks Mandy! Wow, they interview most people who apply. Makes me feel a little bit better. How was your interview? What kind of questions did they ask?

Well I'm back in the greater Phoenix metropolitan area and I enjoyed my interview experience in Tucson. I was interviewed by a younger pharmacist and he kept things pretty light. The questions dealt with talking about your background, weaknesses and strengths, interests, current pharmacy issues, and an ethical/moral scenario. I ran out of time on my essay, but I wrote three pages so hopefully, they will be forgiving.
How long does the essay have to be? lol

I don't want to get in trouble for revealing too much. Sorry, but I had to remove my previous response.
Its okay I got it. Im sure you wont get in trouble lol. Thanks though I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if it makes a difference whether or not you interview now or in February? Does it decrease your chances of getting accepted?

Does anybody know if it makes a difference whether or not you interview now or in February? Does it decrease your chances of getting accepted?
I am not sure, but Im pretty sure it does not give you an advantage. Its not like they tell you if youre accepted or rejected at the interview.

I think they will be sending out their acceptances, alternates, and rejections at the end of Feb. So they will probably have everyone interviewed by then.

I think they will be sending out their acceptances, alternates, and rejections at the end of Feb. So they will probably have everyone interviewed by then.
Whats an alternate?

Getting put on hold or waitlisted

They usually put about 50 people on the waiting list each application year. Approximately 12-20 people from the waiting list will be called to join the class as determined by how many people who were originally admitted decline their acceptance for another school or for whatever other reason.

It was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. My experience was very similar to HobbitJane's.

I do not think it matters when you interview. The fact the you have an interview gives you a better than 1 in 2 chance of getting in to the program. Try to relax and be yourself. Show your enthusiasm for the program. Think positively. I think we often defeat ourselves before we even give ourselves a chance to succeed.

@HobbitJane yeah I have other schools as options, but UA is still one of my top choices :) I'm glad your interview went well! Thanks for your advice! @MandyRX thanks for your advice too :) @PillPusha T best of luck to us lol fingers still crossed

Are any of you who already interviewed going to be sending out thank you emails or notes to your interviewers?

Are any of you who already interviewed going to be sending out thank you emails or notes to your interviewers?
Yeah, I emailed my interviewer yesterday and she sent me a reply this morning.

How did you get her email address?
I looked it up on the COP website; mine is one of the professors. I'd suggest emailing Marty if you don't know how to find your interviewer if they're just a practitioner and not faculty.

What was the topic of the essay? Honestly, that's the only thing I'm nervous about.

I got an interview!! I havent picked a date yet but my options are 2/7, 2/8 or 2/14. I am so excited!!

@PillPusha T congrats!! :) mine is still under consideration... I'm starting to wonder why :(
Don't lose hope yet. I think they are continuing with interviews until 2/14. Until your status says denied, you are not.

Are you out of state? They may have just started looking at the out of state applications as evidenced by PillPusha T's interview invite. Try to take a deep breath and relax a bit.

@PillPusha T congrats!! :) mine is still under consideration... I'm starting to wonder why :(
I think youll be fine. As long as it doesnt say rejected. Give it till the end of next week. She said there were 35 out of state apps. She has to grow through each schools catalogs single handedly. Thanks guys!

Anyone know of any cheap but non-shady hotels within walking distance of the campus. I am not trying to pay more than $100 for the night.

Anyone know of any cheap but non-shady hotels within walking distance of the campus. I am not trying to pay more than $100 for the night.
I do not know which hotels to recommend, but I know the University of Arizona has a hotel affiliated with it. I would contact someone at the college of pharmacy (start with the receptionist maybe) and see what they recommend. I am sure they get that question often.

About six months ago, I went to check out a school in Massachusetts and was told by their college of pharmacy which hotel would give me a discounted rate if I told them I was their for a school interview. The U of A may have a similar arrangement with a nearby hotel.

Eh... I think that EconoLodge counts as shady. It'll do in a pinch, but that's not a particularly good neighborhood, and a bit long of a walk, too.

I've never stayed at Aloft, and their decor is not terribly appealing, personally... but I think that they're probably the best bet for a non-shady, nearby hotel. It's a bit above the $100 target (I see $135 listed on their site), but the convenience might be well worth the difference. Also, you can get a good boba tea right around the corner.

VERY IMPORTANT for folks looking to interview 2/14:
The Tucson Gem and Mineral Show is 2/13-2/16 this year, so if you don't have a hotel room already, stop what you're doing and nail one down right now.

@l2014 if it helps, I did not receive my invitation until 11 days prior to my interview. @PillPusha T I stayed at EconoLodge lol; it was $68 for two full beds after tax. There was a thrift store scent though, but it was not too sketchy. I recommend looking through hotels.com. @MandyRX, I think the candidate information contains which hotels to contact. One of the hotels recommended is Aloft, it's $150 per night, right across the street from the university and very fancy.
HobbitJane, thank you for catching that. I had other local arrangements & skipped that part of the candidate information letter.

I booked a room at the Econo Lodge. It was $102 after tax for one night. Ill be interviewing on 2/8/14. Any tips regarding my interview? This is my first interview.

HobbitJane, thank you for catching that. I had other local arrangements & skipped that part of the candidate information letter.

No problem, we're all here to help each other.

I booked a room at the Econo Lodge. It was $102 after tax for one night. Ill be interviewing on 2/8/14. Any tips regarding my interview? This is my first interview.

Wow, that's really expensive, it must be the soccer game (?). Are you going to walk the 1.7 miles to the campus or do you have another means of transportation? Jessica B. posted a link to a UA interview preparation document. The overall experience was very laid back, but be professional when answering the questions.

Last edited:
For those who already interviewed roughly how many people showed up to interview and where did they make you seat? I'm getting a bit nervous since I have mine on the 31st. :uhno:

No problem, we're all here to help each other.

Wow, that's really expensive, compared to when I stayed there; it must be the soccer game (?). Are you going to walk the 1.7 miles to the campus or do you have another means of transportation? I can give you more details about the hotel if you want. Jessica B. posted a link to a UA interview preparation document. I studied this document like my Bible prior to interviewing. The overall experience was very laid back, but be professional when answering the questions.
Yeah I plan on walking the couple miles. No big deal, 5Ks are a walk in the park for me. Thanks I looked for the post and found it. Kind of makes this interview more intimidating now lol.

PharmZimbo, I seem to remember about 25-30 of us being there. We started out in an auditorium and then broke out in to groups. Not everyone does the same thing at the same time. Some interviewed first while others completed the essay, etc. I do not know how many groups there were, but we all had an interview, essay and tour of the college in varying order before gathering for the reception.

My experience in regards to the interview and essay is that they were very straight forward. I did not get any crazy/off the wall questions like, "why do you think a tennis ball has fuzz". Please keep in mind, because I didn't get anything unexpected, doesn't mean someone else didn't. I know we all have to use discretion in our responses here, but maybe others can respond if they had a different experience in this regard. I can say this interview was more straight forward than a number of job interviews I have had.

Please do not do what I did. I was sooo nervous I didn't sleep the night before the interview, and I am sure I stuck my foot in my mouth more than once out of being nervous. My recommendations are the same as what I described in a prior post. Try to relax and be yourself. Show your enthusiasm for the program. Think positively. Do not defeat yourself before giving yourself a chance to succeed. Again, relax. I would also suggest that you review your original application and the link JessicaB provided earlier and HobbitJane just referenced. Preparation is a great confidence booster.

Best wishes to everybody who is still needing to interview! Heck, best wishes to everyone who is holding their breath until this is over!!

For those who already interviewed roughly how many people showed up to interview and where did they make you seat? I'm getting a bit nervous since I have mine on the 31st. :uhno:
What do you mean by where did they make us sit? We just met in a lecture hall after getting our pictures taken and then split up into assigned groups. I think there were probably close to 30 interviewees When I went on Jan 17.

PharmZimbo, I seem to remember about 25-30 of us being there. We started out in an auditorium and then broke out in to groups. Not everyone does the same thing at the same time. Some interviewed first while others completed the essay, etc. I do not know how many groups there were, but we all had an interview, essay and tour of the college in varying order before gathering for the reception.

My experience in regards to the interview and essay is that they were very straight forward. I did not get any crazy/off the wall questions like, "why do you think a tennis ball has fuzz". Please keep in mind, because I didn't get anything unexpected, doesn't mean someone else didn't. I know we all have to use discretion in our responses here, but maybe others can respond if they had a different experience in this regard. I can say this interview was more straight forward than a number of job interviews I have had.

Please do not do what I did. I was sooo nervous I didn't sleep the night before the interview, and I am sure I stuck my foot in my mouth more than once out of being nervous. My recommendations are the same as what I described in a prior post. Try to relax and be yourself. Show your enthusiasm for the program. Think positively. Do not defeat yourself before giving yourself a chance to succeed. Again, relax. I would also suggest that you review your original application and the link JessicaB provided earlier and HobbitJane just referenced. Preparation is a great confidence booster.

Best wishes to everybody who is still needing to interview! Heck, best wishes to everyone who is holding their breath until this is over!!

Thank you so much for the advice MandyRX you too miscer.

Thank you so much for the advice MandyRX you too miscer.
MandyRX had some great points. I'd say to definitely reread your personal statement along with your application essay questions, just so you don't accidentally make any misconceptions about yourself. If you've interviewed at other schools, I would try to reflect on those questions and see how you felt about your answers and how you could improve on them. This was my third interview, so most of the questions I've encountered between the schools are more or less similar to each other. You get more confident with each time you answer them.

If you feel like you get stuck with some of the more general questions about yourself (like why pharmacy?), dont rehearse an exact answer, but rather practice your points and be prepared to improvise around the follow up questions your interviewer will ask.

My interviewer gave an introduction before she started asking about me. I segued into my pharmacy experience after telling them about myself, which led to us talking about her job and my career path in pharmacy. My ethical question was based off my interest in clinical pharmacy as well. It felt more like a conversation rather than just having question after question fired off at me.

Is anyone still waiting for an interview invite? I am waiting to hear back...

NVM... I just got invited to the interview :)

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed on Jan31, so do I need to send thank you email for my interviewer ? I just want to know please explain....

I interviewed on Jan31, so do I need to send thank you email for my interviewer ? I just want to know please explain....
Yes you should, out of politeness and your interest in the school.