University of California San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know its still to early to be nervous since I havent got an invitation yet.

but anybody know if UCSF in the past has denied students an interview even if they had good GPA and essays. I feel my essays were not good enough even though my essays were read by two english professors and they said they were like a 9 out of 10 at worst.

Members don't see this ad.

I know its still to early to be nervous since I havent got an invitation yet.

but anybody know if UCSF in the past has denied students an interview even if they had good GPA and essays. I feel my essays were not good enough even though my essays were read by two english professors and they said they were like a 9 out of 10 at worst.

Hi there,

Good GPA, good essays, good LOR, community service, something special about you will get you an invitation for the interview. It's a combination of everything.

I looked at the thread from last year and it seems that most people got responses through snail mail right on Christmas Eve. I will be out of the country at that time. Does anyone know if we can request responses through email?

Members don't see this ad :)
I seem to remember reading somewhere on UCSF's website that they do not give preference to California residents.

Can anyone confirm this?

The majority of their accepted students are from California as far as I can tell - is it just that a much larger portion of their applicants are actually from Cali? I'm from Oklahoma, and I'm already feeling like I'm at a legitimate disadvantage - even though my GPA is decent, I have strong extracurriculars, and I felt my essays were excellent, etc.

Thoughts?

I am very nervous. I am sure a lot of people applied to UCSF. Hopefully we get some news early next week.

I seem to remember reading somewhere on UCSF's website that they do not give preference to California residents.

Can anyone confirm this?

The majority of their accepted students are from California as far as I can tell - is it just that a much larger portion of their applicants are actually from Cali? I'm from Oklahoma, and I'm already feeling like I'm at a legitimate disadvantage - even though my GPA is decent, I have strong extracurriculars, and I felt my essays were excellent, etc.

Thoughts?

Did you read Joel's blog? He is the Admissions Director of UCSF school of pharmacy. He addresses your question and many more. Also, you are looking at the stats with a skewed view. Obviously more CA residents were accepted BECAUSE MORE CA RESIDENTS APPLIED TO UCSF THAN OUT OF STATE RESIDENTS. Stat simply reflects the proportion of applicants. It's like this in any states. More in-state residents will apply to their local schools. I was an out of stater and had an international student status when I interviewed. If you are qualified, you will get in. It's as simple as that. Nobody gets any preferences.

Last edited:
Thank you, OldPharm! That's what I figured. I will go read his blog now. :)

-Molly

Do you guys think we will be hearing back this weekend, next week, or next weekend?

Do you guys think we will be hearing back this weekend, next week, or next weekend?

Based on last year's thread, the admission office would likely send out the interview invitation on Dec. 23rd. If you live in the Bay Area you'll probably get the snail mail on Dec. 24th. And they send out the rejection letter pretty much the week after Christmas, also through regular mail.

even though my grades are good overall, im worried the adcoms will look down upon taking most of my pre-reqs at a community college even though im in the process of fulfilling my bachelor degree in summer. I know there are a lot of factors going into this school besides grades. but anybody else kno if ppl that got in with pre-reqs taken at community college. I dont see it anywhere on the website where they "prefer" courses to be taken at four-year universities. Im taking 4 science classes this fall to show the adcoms I can handle a tough workload (still waiting on grades).

Yeah, I read the whole thing last night. It was very helpful - makes me feel a lot more confident about my application, actually. I feel like I've done everything I can do, that I've put my best foot forward. That I was genuine, authentic - and if I don't get an interview after that? Well, we'll cross that bridge when it comes to it, eh? :)

any news from UCSF yet. I am getting really worried.... UCSF is my first choice. does anyone know the trend for denial letter or invitation letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
any news from UCSF yet. I am getting really worried.... UCSF is my first choice. does anyone know the trend for denial letter or invitation letters.

Have patience my friend :D. It's winterbreak! Go out and do something fun to get your mind off it.

I don't mean to be rude and it's not just you, but please learn to read what other people wrote before you post. Your question was answered in this thread and other threads. Please read UCSF c/o 2013 and UCSF c/o 2014 threads.

Last edited:
Just got an interview invite in the mail!!!!!!!:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Last edited:
congrats!! where do u live?

Last edited:
is there mail tomorrow?
does that mean that those who don't get mail get rejected?

i know the interview is a make or break for most applicants, but anybody know if UCSF denies students an interview invite even if they had stellar grades, ECs, and decent essays? I am so nervous :(

amazing! good job! when is your interview? could I know when you submitted your apps?

Thanks......the interview is on Saturday February 5th at noon. I submitted my PharmCAS app in late July and UCSF app towards the end of September.

did anyone in southern california get an interview invitation? if so, would you mind stating where? thanks

I received an invitation today too!!!!! XD

Me three. :) I am in NorCal as well.

I know that they send out invitation until the first or second week of January, so don't worry too much! :)

anybody kno if not completing organic chemistry plays a role in getting an interview. I just finished my Organic Chemistry I this fall with Organic chemistry in spring.

Last edited:
Just as an FYI, Joel has posted information (including a picture of some letters) on his blog...http://pharmdadmissions.ucsf.edu/2010/12/photo-of-day.html

The interview is definitely the next step, yet we will likely not have final decisions until March or April. So, I'm trying to enjoy life and continue what I've been doing until then...

In Ohio and I have received my interview invitation today! Soooooo excited!!!

In Ohio and I have received my interview invitation today! Soooooo excited!!!

Congrats!!!!!! Well we made it this far and from what I heard, to get an interview invite at UCSF is a major accomplishment!!!!!!:thumbup:

I just got my interview in the mail too :)

Downside is that it's the same day for an interview I scheduled a month ago:(...so I'm not sure what to do, since I know that doesn't fall within their 4 reasons where they will allow me to reschedule. Should I just call the other school and see if I can change that date, or will they find it unprofessional???

Advice please :confused:

Congrats to those who have received their interview invites. It's exciting!

got an interview!!! omg!!

I'm from seattle, WA!
I also submitted about 5 days before the deadline.

I got my interview invite in the mail today! :) I live in SoCal and I submitted my supplemental on October 30 (though I think Joel mentioned in his blog that UCSF doesn't take into account submission date).

I'm so excited!!! UCSF is my dream school. I'm so grateful that I even got an interview! Congrats and good luck to everyone! :D

pharmcas notes that ucsf is estimating to accept only 15 applicants from out of state, is that normally true?

pharmcas notes that ucsf is estimating to accept only 15 applicants from out of state, is that normally true?

There's no such quota. Please read my previous posts in this thread. Also if you haven't already done so, please read Joel's blog.

Congrats everyone.

Made the drive over to my apartment at school yesterday with my sister... Only to find a lovely interview invite for UCSF! Very cool. It's February 5th, like everyone who has posted here so far (I believe).

As has been stated before, the time in which you submitted your application is not taken into consideration.

And for reference, I am from Oklahoma but go to school in Arkansas. There is no such 'quote' or whatnot for out-of-state applicants being accepted, it's just that there are fewer of us. :)

I'm incredibly excited about this - I hope everyone else here is as well. Congrats to all!

it is just funny that so far no one has posted a denial of interview yet. does that mean that we who have not heard anything yet, will be denial interview spot...... hmmm I dont know- just a thought.

it is just funny that so far no one has posted a denial of interview yet. does that mean that we who have not heard anything yet, will be denial interview spot...... hmmm I dont know- just a thought.

It does not matter if you invited or denied...think about where would you get all those hundreds of thousands you would need to complete your degree, and think about the job prospects afterwards - very bleak. With the advent of the machines and new medical technology, pharmacy is a dying field. Do not get depressed, but think, think, think...

I don't think so! Last year, people heard at the same time. Plus not all apps are reviewed. Last date to hear is Jan 14!

Got an invitation today. I live in LA. The stamp on the envelope dated 12/23/10. It is so strange that it took 5 days for the mail to be delivered down here despite the holiday.

Got an invitation today. I live in LA. The stamp on the envelope dated 12/23/10. It is so strange that it took 5 days for the mail to be delivered down here despite the holiday.

Is UCSF your first choice? If so, I hope you get accepted so it'll leave an open spot for those who want to get into USC! :thumbup: