University of Cincinnati M.S. in Physiology 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heybubbaa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There isn't a thread for this SMP yet, so I thought I'd start one.

Also, I noticed on their website (MS in Physiology | Masters in Physiology | UC Cincinnati College of Medicine - ..WB1PRD02W-med.uc.edu) that starting next year there is a guaranteed interview at UCCoM for UC SMP students that meet certain academic standards.

Good luck to everyone that is applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated from this program in 2016 and am currently an M1. This is a great program and has only gotten better since I've graduated, feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Honestly this program sounds amazing, with amazing support, I'm always surprised its threads are not as full as for other programs.

I hope my application wasn't too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from this program in 2016 and am currently an M1. This is a great program and has only gotten better since I've graduated, feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Do they provide advising to help you apply to med school? What did you love about it? Where are you in med school?

Please disregard the above post by jackdurrani! I can verify that these claims are blatantly untrue. The program director has never been anything but kind, encouraging, very fair, and extremely helpful. I honestly don't think any other student past or present would agree with your post. The program is rigorous, but if you give it your all he will go to bat for you 1000%! Jackdurrani, shame on you for trying to discredit a fine director and a wonderful program!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do they provide advising to help you apply to med school? What did you love about it? Where are you in med school?

Hi MichelleK,

I'm not the person you were asking, but I also did the SMP program ('16) and am happy to answer your questions + anyone else's as well.

Do they provide advising to help you apply to med school?
I would say that yes, they do help with advising for medical school. We had sessions where the professors of the physiology department would show us how they interviewed medical students in the past. They were also willing to meet with us one-on-one for interview practice as well as editing for the medical school application, such as the personal statement section. Because we had such a small group, the professors got to know us pretty well and were always willing to write whatever letters we needed.

What did you love about it?
Personally, there were a lot of things I loved about the program. I loved that we had became such a tight-knit class... since the class size is small and everyone is in the same place and basically going through hell together, we bonded really well. There was nearly no competition with each other in the Master's program because we were competing against the medical school student's grades, not each other. We studied together a lot + hung out a lot in our grad room :p
I also really loved the subject material. Instead of taking the typical undergrad classes where you're not sure how it's applicable to what you want to do in the future, everything we learned had clinical application, which means that it might be information that you might want to know for the future, in case someone asks you. I love that medical school is a challenge and while it may be exhausting to learn in the moment, at the end of the day, I feel like I am taking in the information to accomplish something useful in the world.

Where are you in med school?
I'm personally at the University of Toledo Medical School right now. If you want to see where people have gotten into through this program, you're welcome to look at the website:
MS in Physiology | Masters in Physiology | UC Cincinnati College of Medicine - ..WB1PRD02W-med.uc.edu

Under the "alumni" tab, you can see where each of us have gone for medical school. The stats speak for themselves, but I really do think this is a good program for getting into medical school.

Hi, I've been hesitant to post...I was in the SMP 2 years ago and I just want to say that the program director is a dick. He wrote such terrible reccs for us that they showed them to us at our interviews. My two cents, go to Georgetown. The program director came for a visit and she seemed awesome...like she really cared about her students.

Honestly, I am shocked that you feel this way. I was in the SMP 2 years ago as well and I can't even imagine who you are or what you are talking about. The general feeling in our class was that our program director was like the "Dad" of our program. He came to our class nearly every day with us in our physiology classes, he played board games with us and even came to hang out at one of our parties at the end of the year. This doesn't mean he wasn't serious about us doing well though - he would reach out and meet up with the students that were not doing as well and work with them one-on-one on how to do better in the program. It seemed like he was not afraid to have tough conversations with people who weren't doing as well because he wanted us all the succeed. Granted, I haven't seen his rec letters because I was not shown it in my interviews, but it has been my opinion that he really fought for us to get into medical school like ObGynWanKenobi has said above.

Graduated from this program a few years ago. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

To any of the past SMPers, what is the difference between applying to medical school the year of the program and the year after the program? I guess if you performed well in the SMP (3.7+) and had pretty solid MCAT and EC's would you have success in applying to medical school during the program?

To any of the past SMPers, what is the difference between applying to medical school the year of the program and the year after the program? I guess if you performed well in the SMP (3.7+) and had pretty solid MCAT and EC's would you have success in applying to medical school during the program?
Current SMP student here.
Keep in mind that you're probably only going to have GMP-I, and ORSA grades, by the time your app is being considered for interview. Molecular Med, and MAYBE Cell Med grades will be posted later (Cell grades were up in late December for us this year). If you have a solid app going into the cycle (ECs, 3.5+ GPA, solid MCAT, etc.) you'll have a pretty good shot probably. Quite a few people got in this cycle (from this year's class) with 3.5+ GPA and strong MCATs - some even before Molecular and Cell grades were posted. I also heard that 5 people from last year's class got into UC this cycle too, and that's not counting other schools or the people who got in during the program last year.

Overall it's kind of up to your best judgment whether you think you can get into the schools you are applying to during the program. I have no doubt that every single one of us will be in by the end of next cycle though.

How many applicants do they get on average? Average GPA? Average MCAT?

How many applicants do they get on average? Average GPA? Average MCAT?

In my class there was a pretty wide range of stats...I think they look at a number of factors rather than just the numbers. The average GPA in my class was low, though (I'd say around 3.2-3.3, but there were certainly people with GPA's much lower).

Accepted! Is there a reason why a lot of the alumni ends up in Ohio schools? I do want to go back to the east coast (family, etc). I'm wondering how well students with coast schools :). Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Is there a reason why a lot of the alumni ends up in Ohio schools? I do want to go back to the east coast (family, etc). I'm wondering how well students with coast schools :). Thanks!

Care to share stats? And when you were marked complete/when you heard about your acceptance?

You can gain Ohio residency through this program

Has anyone here, or any former student, chosen this SMP over a DO acceptance? Do you care to share your thoughts and experiences?

Reactions: 1 users

Congratulations! Did you receive an email or did you find out through the application portal?

Hi guys, so I recently got into University of Cincinnati MS Physiology Program for 2018-2019! I'll be moving to Cinci sometime in August.

Do you guys think that I would be a competitive medical school applicant if I submitted an AMCAS application for this year and then submit my first semester grades? According to UC MS Physiology page, they have about a 50-60% chance success rate for students who apply while concurrently in the program.

Here's a quick summary of my stats:
- Current High School Chemistry Teacher (2nd year of teaching in Houston TX)
- GPA: 3.502 undergrad (BS Neuroscience) - Graduated in 2013, low GPA during final semester
- sGPA: 3.23 undergrad
- MCAT: 517 (this year), 31Q in 2011 (11B, 11V, 9P)
- Master's of Art in Teaching GPA: 3.7 - Graduated in 2016
- Extracurriculars:
  • 500 hours volunteering in Telehealth department at VA Hospital (Detroit),
  • Hospice Student Companions club - Univ of Michigan (2011)
  • Shadowing 50 Hours with Primary Care doctors in 2010
  • 2 years of research experience as assistant in UM Health System (2010, 2011);
  • Hospice volunteer for about 12 hours (2018)

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi guys, so I recently got into University of Cincinnati MS Physiology Program for 2018-2019! I'll be moving to Cinci sometime in August.

Do you guys think that I would be a competitive medical school applicant if I submitted an AMCAS application for this year and then submit my first semester grades? According to UC MS Physiology page, they have about a 50-60% chance success rate for students who apply while concurrently in the program.

Here's a quick summary of my stats:
- Current High School Chemistry Teacher (2nd year of teaching in Houston TX)
- GPA: 3.502 undergrad (BS Neuroscience) - Graduated in 2013, low GPA during final semester
- sGPA: 3.23 undergrad
- MCAT: 517 (this year), 31Q in 2011 (11B, 11V, 9P)
- Master's of Art in Teaching GPA: 3.7 - Graduated in 2016
- Extracurriculars:
  • 500 hours volunteering in Telehealth department at VA Hospital (Detroit),
  • Hospice Student Companions club - Univ of Michigan (2011)
  • Shadowing 50 Hours with Primary Care doctors in 2010
  • 2 years of research experience as assistant in UM Health System (2010, 2011);
  • Hospice volunteer for about 12 hours (2018)

Thanks for your help in advance!

Congratulations on getting accepted into the program. You are starting off on a good foot. But now that you are starting an SMP you are opening a whole new can of worms for admissions. Your performance in the program and other factors, such as what your home state is, will be very influential in your competitiveness.

Good luck! It's a great program. Be ready to work your tail off.

Did anyone else notice that the application deadline was extended to June 30th?

@ching2007sum I'm curious about this too. I was just accepted, but I'd like to eventually go back to the east coast. Is it difficult to do a residency in the east coast if one attends a school in Ohio?

@ching2007sum I'm curious about this too. I was just accepted, but I'd like to eventually go back to the east coast. Is it difficult to do a residency in the east coast if one attends a school in Ohio?

From what I've heard from residency directors at UC, it's not that serious of an issue. You can always do an away rotation in the region you're interested in doing your residency. I'm currently at UC and that's my gameplan.

does anyone know if the program is full already? i just found out about the program very recently, and the website says they'll be taking applications until June 30th. then again, they've been reviewing applications for months and there's a very limited number of spots. i tried calling to ask but no one answered...

I would e-mail the program director, she usually responds within a couple of days!

does anyone know if the program is full already? i just found out about the program very recently, and the website says they'll be taking applications until June 30th. then again, they've been reviewing applications for months and there's a very limited number of spots. i tried calling to ask but no one answered...
any chance you heard back from them yet? I just heard about it and applied 6/22 so hoping it's not too late lol

for the application, what kind of question is asked during the optional video interview/essay? and it is really "optional?"

any chance you heard back from them yet? I just heard about it and applied 6/22 so hoping it's not too late lol
Hey! I was wondering how your application turned out. We’re you able to hear back if you had gotten in? My Mcat is scheduled for May 25th and so I know they won’t get my results in until June 25th. So my application would be a bit late.

Hey! I was wondering how your application turned out. We’re you able to hear back if you had gotten in? My Mcat is scheduled for May 25th and so I know they won’t get my results in until June 25th. So my application would be a bit late.

Generally speaking, as long as you get your application in before the deadline your application will be considered. In my class there were several people who submitted right around the deadline and were accepted.

Good luck on your MCAT!