University of Cincinnati vs Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful_Dr_Grace

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I've been accepted to both OSU and UC. I'm in-state, from Cincinnati. If I go to UC I could live at home and commute saving on rent (it's a 25 min drive). Currently I'm interested in peds, women's health, and public health research.

I got a better vibe from my UC interview but I realize that's probably not the best way to make a decision. I want to go somewhere where I'll be happiest but most importantly have my pick of residencies post med school.

Will the reputation of one school over the other impact my residency/opportunities?
What other major factors should I be considering?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to live at home, prefer peds, and liked UC more then I think go UC. The difference in rankings isn't that large. I think this just comes down to personal preference. For you it sounds like you want UC but you're just worried about passing up the rankings of OSU

Reactions: 1 users
You seem to like UC better so I would pick that. lower cost and close to family is all good

the rankings difference is negligible

I would make this decision based on cost and/or second look. Both schools are very similar in terms of program and ranking, though OSU does have more national recognition due to its football team. I doubt you will be limited at either places since they are both large research institutions with good hospitals nearby.

I am debating between these two schools as well and it doesn't help that the second looks are on the same weekend. However, I have been considering the fact of being in a familiar and comfortable place when starting such a challenging journey too. I am from Columbus so I was leaning towards OSU