Hey James
You mentioned that you were a two-time applicant. Do you mind me asking what you did differently between your applications that might have helped you get accepted?
I graduated with my Bachelors in May 2012, so my year in between applications also happened to be a year off from school for me. I worked full time at a local hospital where I had already worked part time as a pharmacy tech. I also retook the PCAT which was my 3rd time taking it (my composite score only increased by 2 points, so I'd say this did not have a huge impact). The last thing I did which I had not done any of before my first application was volunteer work. I volunteered at a local health clinic for uninsured and impoverished people in the Athens area.
In the event that you get wait-listed or declined and you plan on reapplying next year, be sure you contact Dr. Wolfgang to set up a time that you can go meet with him IN PERSON to discuss your application. He will be more than happy to make suggestions for you and look at areas where you could improve, as he did with me. Aside from the things I mentioned above, I feel like my effort to keep in contact with Dr. Wolfgang and the admissions office in the year in between my applications really helped me. It showed that I was serious about going to pharmacy school, and that I was determined to do whatever it took.
The very first words out of Dr. Wolfgang's mouth when I sat down in my second interview were, "James, we're excited to have you back interviewing with us this year. Tell us what you've been up to over the last year." Showing back up for a second interview with the same application and scores and things to say isn't going to be impressive. They just want to see that you've made an effort to improve.
A note that I want to make about work/ shadowing experience:
From what I have gathered from going through the process twice and from what I've learned from my classmates- having work experience (even SIGNIFICANT work experience) has zero to very little weight in the "formula" used to decide who gets accepted.
Here's how I've come to that conclusion: going in to my first application I had close to 3 1/2 years of pharmacy tech experience in a hospital, and I thought that was going to be a huge advantage for me. Instead, I got wait-listed, and was eventually declined. A year later, with 4 1/2 years experience, I got wait-listed again, but was lucky enough to be close enough to the top of that list to receive a spot in the class.
On the flip side of that, some of my classmates have NEVER stepped foot in a pharmacy. Quite honestly, some of them don't have a a single clue about what goes on in a pharmacy, which makes you wonder how they even know they want to be pharmacists. What those people
do have is very impressive GPAs and PCAT scores... Anyway, I'll end my rant.
The bottom line is: UGA's formula is really all about GPA + PCAT score. Cut and dry. Dedication to the the field of pharmacy is also something they're looking for. Like I said before, I feel that the fact that I made efforts to improve myself as an applicant in my year off helped tremendously.
Work experience DOES benefit you is in the basic pharmacy and drug knowledge that you learn as a technician. I have been surprised by the head-start that my work experience has given me as far as things we have learned in class or done in labs this year. But that's a different story.
I know I gave you A LOT more information than you asked for, but I feel like all of that is important to know.