University of Georgia COP (Fall 2014)

Started by David2580
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

David2580

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am completely aware that it is, in fact, too early to start this thread for UGA's COP, but I am doing so anyways. Nevertheless, I am hopeful that this thread will be conducive to prospective applicants and students.

With that said, I'll like to wish all the best of luck throughout this cycle.
And may the stress and anxiety that accompanies the application process not break us.
AMEN!

:laugh: :laugh:

:luck:
 
It's never too early to do this. In fact the earlier the better! I'll be a junior this year at UGA and I just got hired as a pharm tech at my hometown. Also getting some shadowing at a local pharmacy. I'm not too sure if I really should dive into this field since it's been so saturated now and job prospects are shrinking. This is from my local pharmacist who's also a UGA graduate. Gahhh what to dooooo??😕
 
Yeah, I know what you mean... It can be pretty stressful when making big decisions. But, going off what you said about job prospects declining, does that apply to all areas of pharmacy? Frankly i can see that in terms of retail, but not so much for clinical pharmacy and research-based opportunities.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey y'all,

I just saw that i neglected to introduce myself. Nonetheless, here I am. I live in Georgia, and my top two choices are Mercer University and UGA. I am a rising junior and I am taking the PCAT on July 18th. It's gonna be my first time and I honestly didn't study much, but who knows. I currently have some pharmacy experience, but not a lot. And to sum it all up, I think the whole application process is stringent and overwhelming, but I'm ready for the challenge.

David

P.S. I really want this forum to be interactive, so I will be posting my progress and stats as I receive them. Hopefully, this application cycle will be a great one.
 
Yeah, I know what you mean... It can be pretty stressful when making big decisions. But, going off what you said about job prospects declining, does that apply to all areas of pharmacy? Frankly i can see that in terms of retail, but not so much for clinical pharmacy and research-based opportunities.

I also hear this in regards to just retail. In other areas of medicine and healthcare pharmacists are actually taken on larger roles. So that could mean more options in hospitals or private practices.
 
First shot at the PCAT will be July 17th and I've got the basics done on PharmCAS and the UGA app. Definitely going to need to spend a lot of time on my personal statement.
 
Really, dang. I'm not even halfway done with my PharmCAS, not to even talk of the UGA Supp App. Like, I guess I'm just confused with the whole PharmCAS application. For example, would I get all my references to complete the Reference after I listed them? Also, I was wondering if the PharmCAS app is editable after submission.
 
I don't think the PharmCAS app is editable after you e-submit. You can update grades by sending in your fall transcript but I don't think you can change anything. And for references you have to list them so PharmCAS can send the email to whoever your reference is. Like yesterday I emailed one of my old professors and asked him if he'd do it. He said sure, so I added him to my reference list. He got the email and is going to submit his reference electronically.
 
Yeah, I just got the whole PharmCAS and Supp. App. figured out. The last, and major, thing on my list right now is the PCAT, which I am taking on Thursday June 18th.
As promised I will post my scores, as well as my academic standing. I'll probably end up taking the PCAT again.

But, as for now I'm believing for high scores and an interview invite.

Good Luck Y'all. 😀
 
Last edited:
Hey Y'all,

I know it been a while so, I apologize. I've been studying and working endlessly, and haven't had time for any extras. Thankfully, I just finished all of my finals for the summer and I am now able to focus on studying for the PCAT. Of course, I will have to buy the prep books. Nonetheless, I took my PCAT in July, simply for test run, and I promised I would give an update regarding my stats.

Verbal: 78
Biology: 74
Reading: 25 (I am honestly as shocked as you are...idk)
Quantitative: 85
Chemistry: 51(Haven't taken OChem, and (lucky me) half the section was Organic 😡)
Composite: 66

Science GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA:3.65
Experience: Just began working at a pharmacy.
 
I was wondering if any of y'all have any good suggestions for PCAT prep books. Also, I think I am in desperate need of tips on the Reading Comprehension section, lol.
As far as prep books, I just order a Princeton Review book. But, I think I need more than that.
 
I was wondering if any of y'all have any good suggestions for PCAT prep books. Also, I think I am in desperate need of tips on the Reading Comprehension section, lol.
As far as prep books, I just order a Princeton Review book. But, I think I need more than that.

Kaplan 2012-2013 is really good and the Princeton 2012-2013 worked for me..
 
I was wondering if any of y'all have any good suggestions for PCAT prep books. Also, I think I am in desperate need of tips on the Reading Comprehension section, lol.
As far as prep books, I just order a Princeton Review book. But, I think I need more than that.

Dr Collins hands down. They provide great help for the science and math sections but kinda lack the verbal help. Still the best out there. I too bombed the reading comp and it brought down my composite to 76 despite getting a 92 in bio and 85 on both Chem and math smh.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kaplan 2012-2013 is really good and the Princeton 2012-2013 worked for me..

Do they both have adequate Read Comp. sections? Im not really worried about the sciences or the math, since I know that after I have fully reviewed I do better. I've also heard people say that Kaplan is only useful for Gen Chem, and Biology.
 
Dr Collins hands down. They provide great help for the science and math sections but kinda lack the verbal help. Still the best out there. I too bombed the reading comp and it brought down my composite to 76 despite getting a 92 in bio and 85 on both Chem and math smh.

Yea, I've heard pretty good things about Dr. Collins. I think for Reading Comp, I'm just gonna go through and attempt as many passages as I can. Hopefully, I begin to see trends and improve based on that. For bio, I think after I begin my review my score will increase. I know my chem score will definitely increase after I begin OChem I, in the fall.
I think I will add Dr. Collins to my list.
 
Yea, I've heard pretty good things about Dr. Collins. I think for Reading Comp, I'm just gonna go through and attempt as many passages as I can. Hopefully, I begin to see trends and improve based on that. For bio, I think after I begin my review my score will increase. I know my chem score will definitely increase after I begin OChem I, in the fall.
I think I will add Dr. Collins to my list.

Yeah don't make the same mistake I did. I was so worried about the science/math that I didn't even look at the reading comp. big mistake!
 
Do any of y'all live in Georgia? If so, or if not, are you planing on attending UGA College of Pharmacy's Open House?
 
Hey guy, I'm really new to all of this and would appreciate all the help I can get. I am going to be taking my PCAT for the first time on the September 18th date and would love all the feedback I can get. My GPA is about a 3.2 so I was wondering, what would be a PCAT score that would give me a good chance of getting in? I'm also thinking about going to Mercer and South if UGA doesn't work out... But hopefully it will! 🙂
 
Hi, considering applying for 2014. UGA grad here who also spent some time in grad school. How long should old PCAT scores be good for? I couldn't find anything about this. I last took it at the end of 2008, and got a 91 or a 92, so I'd prefer to not have to retake if possible...
 
Hi, considering applying for 2014. UGA grad here who also spent some time in grad school. How long should old PCAT scores be good for? I couldn't find anything about this. I last took it at the end of 2008, and got a 91 or a 92, so I'd prefer to not have to retake if possible...

I am not 100%, but I think they will still take those scores. I would call the admission's office, just to be on the safe side.
 
Hello! I am a current student at UGA's COP and I love it! I agree about Dr. Collin's for PCAT prep!

Hello! I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing some knowledge and information about the school. Also, could you describe what your schedules (P1-P3) were like? I think a lot of us are somewhat clueless as to what the day-to-day routines of a pharmacy student is like. Personally, I would really like to know what the atmosphere is like at UGA. For example, is it competitive, welcoming, lonely,...
 
I submitted my application at the end of August. Are we supposed to have received some type of confirmation that UGA received our PharmCAS application?
 
I submitted my application at the end of August. Are we supposed to have received some type of confirmation that UGA received our PharmCAS application?

I submitted mine at the same time as yours. I didn't receive any confirmation either. Interview doesn't start until late October, so I'm guessing they won't be contacting us until late September early October.
 
I submitted my app Sept 7th and got an email about interviewing today! Looks like they've already started looking at the apps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted my app Sept 7th and got an email about interviewing today! Looks like they've already started looking at the apps.

I got my interview invite also! So happy because this is my first choice school 😀
 
Do any of you know how approximately how long it would take for UGA to decide whether you're accepted or not after your interview? I haven't had my interview yet, it's on October 29, but I was just curious to see if anyone knew.
 
Do any of you know how approximately how long it would take for UGA to decide whether you're accepted or not after your interview? I haven't had my interview yet, it's on October 29, but I was just curious to see if anyone knew.

They do it by cycles. For example, all the applicants interviewing in October will be reviewed. Some will be accepted and others will carry over, to be reviewed with the next cycle (November). You can get your acceptances at any time prior to your interview. I heard of someone who interviewed last year, and got their acceptance 1 week later. Personally I think the application strength, and the scheduled time for review, all factor into when you get a response.
 
I think it would be beneficial to others if those that have received an interview invite post their stats, that is if y'all are comfortable doing so.
 
My basic stats are:

GPA - 3.4
PCAT - 92

I'm a second year and don't have any actual pharmacy based work experience just personal research, interviews and shadowing.
 
This might sound crazzzyyyy but I just submitted my application yesterday at 7PM and I got my interview invite today. I'm so excited to see the school and the staff.

Go Dawgs!!!
 
I submitted everything last month and haven't heard anything. Is it safe to say they're not interested? Would anyone recommend emailing them or no? If I was denied they would have at least sent something right? Please advise, Thanks in advance!
 
I submitted everything last month and haven't heard anything. Is it safe to say they're not interested? Would anyone recommend emailing them or no? If I was denied they would have at least sent something right? Please advise, Thanks in advance!

Don't assume that they aren't considering your application. They are giving interviews based off your application, in comparison to others. Also, if you didn't get an invite for the October interviews, you may receive one in November. If you were in fact denied, you would have received an email telling you this. Nonetheless, to my knowledge, interviews have not begun. Therefore, nobody has received an acceptance yet. You might want to consider calling the office of admissions, in order fully understand what's going on with your application. :luck:
 
just submitted the supplemental! EEEK ! am from the Midwest but would love to make the move to Georgia. How is the pharmacy program, pretty competitive I would assume
 
Can I ask for your stats?

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. Here is the breakdown of my stats:

Science GPA: 3.92
Overall GPC: 3.98
PCAT: 92 composite

I have 2 years of retail experience, and currently the lead tech.

And yes, like others mentioned, I also received my invite via email. I can't wait to see the school and hope to see everyone soon!!!!
 
Hey, everyone!
I submitted my application yesterday, and I am elated to have reached this point thus far. I am expected to finish my B.S. in Biology next spring.

My basic stats are:
GPA: 4.0 (pre pharmacy and overall)
PCAT: 94 composite

Although I have not worked in a pharmacy, I do have three shadowing/volunteer experiences.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted my pharmcas in early September, waiting for interview invite.

here are my stats:

-Highest PCAT scores (taken 5 times):
Verbal: 74
Biology: 74
Reading: 41
Math: 77
Chemistry: 61
Composite: 59

-GPA: 3.64
-science GPA: 3.4
-math GPA: 4.0

-Experience: pharmacy tech at Walgreens for almost 1 year. Shadowed pharmacist at a hospital.
 
Hey Y'all,

I know it been a while so, I apologize. I've been studying and working endlessly, and haven't had time for any extras. Thankfully, I just finished all of my finals for the summer and I am now able to focus on studying for the PCAT. Of course, I will have to buy the prep books. Nonetheless, I took my PCAT in July, simply for test run, and I promised I would give an update regarding my stats.

Verbal: 78
Biology: 74
Reading: 25 (I am honestly as shocked as you are...idk)
Quantitative: 85
Chemistry: 51(Haven't taken OChem, and (lucky me) half the section was Organic 😡)
Composite: 66

Science GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA:3.65
Experience: Just began working at a pharmacy.

David2580, we have very similar stats and experience. Let us know if you get an interview! 🙂
 
David2580, we have very similar stats and experience. Let us know if you get an interview! 🙂

Yes, I definitely will. I will be taking my PCAT for the second time on October 30th, then I will post my results on this forum. The next step will be to get all my things together and submit my application, which I have yet to do.

Remember not to lose hope; don't be discouraged by all the credentials posted here. They may not be as credible as they appear. Nonetheless, good luck! :luck::luck: