University of Georgia COP (Fall 2014)

Started by David2580
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What was your PCAT, GPA and experience

94 composite PCAT, Masters Degree Chemistry GPA of 3.6, Undergrad had GPAs all over the place. Failed Calc 1 and 2 first time so math gpa was really low. Pharm tech for a year, 30 hours a week average. Thats the messy, abridged version of my stats.
 
UPDATE: Hey y'all. Just took my second PCAT, didn't get to study at all again but I plan on taking it again. I will probably register for the DEC/JAN test and I intended on study hard during all my semester breaks. I was also really disappointed my biology and reading comp, and I am determined on scoring higher the next time around. If y'all have any pointer as far as studying for biology and reading comp, please share.
Thanks.
V.A. : 87
BIO: 63
R.C. : 25
Q.A. : 91
CHEM: 88
COMP: 81

I will also be submitting my application very soon, hopefully some time around the first week of Nov. Also, as promised, I will continue to post updates.
 
Last edited:
UPDATE: Hey y'all. Just took my second PCAT, didn't get to study at all again but I plan on taking it again. I will probably register for the DEC/JAN test and I intended on study hard during all my semester breaks. I was also really disappointed my biology and reading comp, and I am determined on scoring higher the next time around. If y'all have any pointer as far as studying for biology and reading comp, please share.
Thanks.
V.A. : 87
BIO: 63
R.C. : 25
Q.A. : 91
CHEM: 88
COMP: 81

I will also be submitting my application very soon, hopefully some time around the first week of Nov. Also, as promised, I will continue to post updates.
What's your gpa? Why are you retaking it? 81 composite is not bad. According to Dr Wolfgang, interviews are given according to pcat composite + (gpa * 25) = 200. Anything over 150 is pretty much guaranteed at least an interview. He came to my school and gave a meeting. So I would save the money and stress of taking it again if you fit the criteria already. Also therevis no minimum section requirement...I've asked admissions.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wasn't aware that they based their process on points,and I have a 3.7 GPA. I sure i would be better informed if UGA COP's representatives would visit my school... But, i'm in the process of submitting my application and I'll update when I hear any noise from admissions.
 
Also, for those that have already interviewed, please share and enlighten the rest of us; tell us what to expect, as well as your perception of the program.
 
The first thing you do when you arrive is go into a small conference room (there aren't many seats... I'm assuming that interviews are capped at around 8 people). You will have 20 minutes to write an essay on a random topic, just to make sure you can spell and think on your feet pretty much.

You watch a PowerPoint about program requirements and then take a tour of the facilities, then everyone interviews with Dr. Wolfgang and a faculty member, one-by-one. The most helpful part of the process was sitting in the conference room while others were interviewing. First, second, and third year students float in and tell you about their experiences and answer any and all questions.

The interview was relatively laid back, although some of the questions were unexpected and opinion-based. Everyone who works there seems great. The only thing that I didn't like about the school is the fact that it isn't a medical campus. You can spend your P3 and P4 years in Athens, Augusta, Albany, or Savannah, and you rank at the very end. Overall it was a fun and informative interview... you'll have to see for yourself though!
 
The first thing you do when you arrive is go into a small conference room (there aren't many seats... I'm assuming that interviews are capped at around 8 people). You will have 20 minutes to write an essay on a random topic, just to make sure you can spell and think on your feet pretty much.

You watch a PowerPoint about program requirements and then take a tour of the facilities, then everyone interviews with Dr. Wolfgang and a faculty member, one-by-one. The most helpful part of the process was sitting in the conference room while others were interviewing. First, second, and third year students float in and tell you about their experiences and answer any and all questions.

The interview was relatively laid back, although some of the questions were unexpected and opinion-based. Everyone who works there seems great. The only thing that I didn't like about the school is the fact that it isn't a medical campus. You can spend your P3 and P4 years in Athens, Augusta, Albany, or Savannah, and you rank at the very end. Overall it was a fun and informative interview... you'll have to see for yourself though!
How were you notified about your interview invite? Was it a call, email or letter?
 
I got my invite to interview. Will anyone be there on November 21?
 
When did you submit? Also, what were your stats?

I had my supplemental application done about a week before I submitted my pharmCAS, and my pharmCAS application I submitted on 10/29.

My science GPA is 3.1 (it'll be better after this semester--I have 3 credit hours of a D+ in genetics.)

Composite PCAT: 81

Five years experience as a certified and registered pharmacy tech.

Two service learning trips abroad and ability to speak Spanish.
 
I had my supplemental application done about a week before I submitted my pharmCAS, and my pharmCAS application I submitted on 10/29.

My science GPA is 3.1 (it'll be better after this semester--I have 3 credit hours of a D+ in genetics.)

Composite PCAT: 81

Five years experience as a certified and registered pharmacy tech.

Two service learning trips abroad and ability to speak Spanish.
When did you get your invite?
 
UPDATE: Just submitted my PharmCAS application, as well as my supplemental application. My transcripts and recent PCAT scores haven't reached PharmCAS yet, so I expect a delay in the progress. Nonetheless, I will update when I receive my interview invite.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody know how the interview selection process works? How do they determine who to invite for interviews? Is there a review committee? How often do they meet? Is there a certain day of the week they send out invite emails? Just trying to understand the proess and timing.

Thanks
 
Does anybody know how the interview selection process works? How do they determine who to invite for interviews? Is there a review committee? How often do they meet? Is there a certain day of the week they send out invite emails? Just trying to understand the proess and timing.

Thanks


A person said this earlier in the thread..(According to Dr Wolfgang, interviews are given according to pcat composite + (gpa * 25) = 200. Anything over 150 is pretty much guaranteed at least an interview) Last year I went to a meeting where he said the same thing to us. As for a committee I am not sure how that part works, sorry.
 
I had an interview at UGA the end of October. I also had an interview at Auburn this Monday, and have already heard back from Auburn. Does anyone know when UGA will start informing people if they have been accepted or not?
 
I had an interview at UGA the end of October. I also had an interview at Auburn this Monday, and have already heard back from Auburn. Does anyone know when UGA will start informing people if they have been accepted or not?
Thanks for the info. If anybody else has info on the process, please post.
 
I had an interview at UGA the end of October. I also had an interview at Auburn this Monday, and have already heard back from Auburn. Does anyone know when UGA will start informing people if they have been accepted or not?
Dr. Wolfgang told me at my interview last week that they will accept about 30 something applicants from the first cycle (ends Nov. 22 I think) in December and then will accept more in January.
 
Dr. Wolfgang told me at my interview last week that they will accept about 30 something applicants from the first cycle (ends Nov. 22 I think) in December and then will accept more in January.
Those 30 something applicants will be notified in December, correct? I can't remember how long they said it would be before they would let us know... And when you say they would accept more in January, I'm assuming that's also including the 2nd wave of interviews..?
 
Yes, the 30 or so applicants will be notified in December. I guess in January they may include the 2nd cycle, but not quite sure when the 2nd cycle starts/ends.
 
Does anyone know if preference is really given to in-state applications as opposed to out of state ones?

When I went to open house, Dr. Wolfgang did mention that in-state applications are preferred. He told us that only a couple of people were accepted last year from out of state.
 
It's never too early to do this. In fact the earlier the better! I'll be a junior this year at UGA and I just got hired as a pharm tech at my hometown. Also getting some shadowing at a local pharmacy. I'm not too sure if I really should dive into this field since it's been so saturated now and job prospects are shrinking. This is from my local pharmacist who's also a UGA graduate. Gahhh what to dooooo??😕
Those pharmacist will always discourage u bcuz they DNT wanna lose their job to the new graduates... Several pharmacist told me the samething jus to change my mind but I will enjoy working in a pharmacy as a tech n want to go to the next level.... Go achieve ur dream
 
What are my chances if I'll have a 2.77 gpa at the end of the semester and I'm retaking my pcat jn January. I'm a certified pharmacy tech at walmart for about 1.5 years and I have done medical lab research for two years. Will graduate in May with a BA in interdepartmental studies with a focus in health science
 
I submitted my pharmcas application a month ago and my supplemental application 2 weeks ago and have yet to hear back from uga. The wait is killing meeee!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AHH CONGRATS!!!
I had my interview on the 30th and also got accepted!

Stats:
PCAT - 92
GPA - 3.78
pharmacy experience - shadowed once, informational interview
2nd year at UGA

cant wait to meet everyone!
 
Last edited:
Yay! I got my interview on the 31 and I just received my acceptance letter today!!!!! Good luck to all of us and see everyone soon! 😉
 
Last edited:
I had my interview last Wednesday Nov.20th and I still haven't heard anything back 🙁 It seems like they already sent out acceptance letters.. does this mean I got denied??? ahhh so depressed 🙁🙁🙁🙁
 
Hey, I don't know if you go to UGA but if you do, have you checked your Athens mail? They might have sent it there. Also if you don't receive an acceptance letter right now, that does not mean you were denied. If I understand correctly, you would be deferred and reconsidered after the next round of interviews. Best of luck!
 
I got my acceptance letter a few days ago too! :] Congrats to the others accepted! It is super exciting.

If you did not hear anything back yet its totally fine! They have 145 spots total and accepted only about 30 people this round. They will consider you again when the next round of acceptances come through.
 
I just submitted my supplemental on Sunday and am really hoping to hear back from them for the next round of interview!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I interviewed on Nov 6th, got wait-listed. Congrats to those who've gotten accepted!!
Did your email explicitly say you were waitlisted or that you weren't chosen during this round but would receive full consideration during the next round?
 
Got an interview invite Dec. 5 and scheduled for afternoon of Feb. 12 (been working as a certified tech at home in Macon since March so I had to schedule ahead to give enough notice to the PIC). My GPA isn't too good (~2.7) and my PCAT is moderately competitive (83) - still in disbelief I got to the interview phase. Any advice for any part of the interview process?
 
Last edited: