University of Hawaii at Hilo COP - Applicants for 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has everyone finished the World Cultures pre-requisite? I haven't yet so I'm just wondering if you satisfied it w/something else besides the following which were from their website?

ANTH 100 Cultural Anthropology,
AG 230 Sustainable Agriculture
ENG 25 World Literature
ENG 254 World Literature
GEOG 102 Geography of World Regions
HIST 151 World Civilization
HIST 152 World Civilization
KIND 240 Culture Revitalization Movements

I took Multicultural Film and Hilo said it fulfilled the requirement!

Members don't see this ad.

I just received the interview confirmation email. I chose the Hilo, HI b/c it is close to the south korea where i am now. I booked the flight, hotel and plus rent car. it costs almost 2k( $1850...).:eek: I feel so thankful to my husband who supports me. :love:
I applied several schools and received the interview offers. but the main school i want to attend is UH, Hilo. I am trying to delay other school's interview date.
Anyway, my interview will be at 9:00 AM in Hilo.
hope to see you all

Keren,

How did your interview go and how was your trip to Hilo? I'm pretty sure you traveled the farthest so I really hope it met with your expectations!:D

Those of you that are done interviewing, how do you think it went? I thought I did well. My interviewer was very nice and welcoming. She asked me about eight questions. I will put up an interview feedback form in the very near future. I am exhausted from the traveling. I hope we all hear something very soon. Keep in touch.

I don't think my interview could have gone any better...I just hope they agree! :D Hung out with Kern which was fun - we hoped to meet some of the others but the spread out environment of the interviews made it difficult to spot other SDN'rs. I really hope they let us know before xmas :xf:- that would be the greatest gift I could get this year...

I will post interview feedback as well but may not have time until later this week as I have to drive back to FSU and pack up my stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried looking for other snders but everyone that I spoke to doesn't use sdn. Lol

The essay question was very simple and straightforward. You have 30 mins but then I don't think they would mind if you went over 30 mins. I had about 6-7 questions at the most. We spent about the first 10-15 minutes chatting about ourselves so it was a bit personal at first. It gave me the opportunity to get to know my interviewer and vise versa. UHH has been my first choice and I hope to make it in. Best of luck to everyone else as well! :) please let us all know if you have received an acceptance letter!

I tried looking for other snders but everyone that I spoke to doesn't use sdn. Lol

The essay question was very simple and straightforward. You have 30 mins but then I don't think they would mind if you went over 30 mins. I had about 6-7 questions at the most. We spent about the first 10-15 minutes chatting about ourselves so it was a bit personal at first. It gave me the opportunity to get to know my interviewer and vise versa. UHH has been my first choice and I hope to make it in. Best of luck to everyone else as well! :) please let us all know if you have received an acceptance letter!

After I tell my family...you all will be the next to know! If it's the news I'm hoping for, my family will spread it like wildfire.:D

After I tell my family...you all will be the next to know! If it's the news I'm hoping for, my family will spread it like wildfire.:D

That's so funny Forest because I'll be doing the same. It'll be the best gift ever and yes, I know my parents will be spreading the news like a wildfire too hahahahha! :)

For those of you who attend Hilo next year (hopefully me), are you planning to ship your car or buy one there? I've been thinking I don't need one but my parents keep telling me I'm crazy! I like to keep things simple and as my current car is on it's last legs, I guess I don't want to spend money on a car that I could use for living expenses...

hey forrest, i will be shipping my car if i do become accepted and decide to attend UH Hilo. but it seems that every interview i go they HIGHLY recommend bringing a car due to the location of some rotation sites.

hey forrest, i will be shipping my car if i do become accepted and decide to attend UH Hilo. but it seems that every interview i go they HIGHLY recommend bringing a car due to the location of some rotation sites.

Great idea! Hey, the more friends I have with a car, the less I'll need my own! lol:D

P.S. Is everyone else checking their email like every five minutes? Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating but when I'm not checking it my mom is!

For those of you who attend Hilo next year (hopefully me), are you planning to ship your car or buy one there? I've been thinking I don't need one but my parents keep telling me I'm crazy! I like to keep things simple and as my current car is on it's last legs, I guess I don't want to spend money on a car that I could use for living expenses...

The interviewer pretty much told me I would need a car b/c there is no good public transportation. Anyway, I would maybe suggest you budding up with someone and help them with gas? I don't know, personally I would get my own car cause I don't want to be a hassle for someone and would like to go whenever, where-ever I want. :shrug:

BTW, I will not be attending Hilo even if I get accepted because I am accepted to my state school. Good luck to everyone who get in :luck: Really wanted to go to Hilo too if not for the high tuition since one semester of cost there is like 1 whole year of my state school's tuition cost. :smack:

If the cost of shipping is more than what my car is worth then I'm probably going to buy a new car there. I've been thinking about all of this too. It looks like I'm going to have to sell all of my belongings because I can't bring everything with me. It would be different if we were moving across the state but not across the pacific ocean. Hehehe

Great idea! Hey, the more friends I have with a car, the less I'll need my own! lol:D

P.S. Is everyone else checking their email like every five minutes? Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating but when I'm not checking it my mom is!

Lol! It's not just you. I find myself doing the same. :)

The interviewer pretty much told me I would need a car b/c there is no good public transportation. Anyway, I would maybe suggest you budding up with someone and help them with gas? I don't know, personally I would get my own car cause I don't want to be a hassle for someone and would like to go whenever, where-ever I want. :shrug:

BTW, I will not be attending Hilo even if I get accepted because I am accepted to my state school. Good luck to everyone who get in :luck: Really wanted to go to Hilo too if not for the high tuition since one semester of cost there is like 1 whole year of my state school's tuition cost. :smack:

Congrats on your acceptance kashkow! Best wishes to you :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I check my email EVERY chance I get! Has it been 2 weeks yet?! lol. anyway, yes I'll be shipping by 4 Runner that I love!

Congrats on your acceptance and hey - you'll have a lot less in student loans than us! :smuggrin:

Thanks for the info - did you apply to Hilo?

right on.
yes I did apply to UHH. I'm just on of those SDN lurkers here :) my interview was last week on friday morning in vegas.

Good luck to you Forrest

right on.
yes I did apply to UHH. I'm just on of those SDN lurkers here :) my interview was last week on friday morning in vegas.

Good luck to you Forrest

Duke,

I'd say you've graduated from "lurker" to poster so now you can build on that.:D Good luck :luck: to you too!

P.S. So where are you from? I was at FSU in Tallahassee until last week and now I'm back home in Orlando until pharmacy school begins...

Quick Question--I have to complete the supplemental, but if you have retaken classes, do you list the most recent attempt on the supplemental, or do you list BOTH grades?

Duke,

I'd say you've graduated from "lurker" to poster so now you can build on that.:D Good luck :luck: to you too!

P.S. So where are you from? I was at FSU in Tallahassee until last week and now I'm back home in Orlando until pharmacy school begins...

So I just got my acceptance; I'm surprised they were so fast! But gah, we only have until January 7th to decide?? My other interviews aren't until the following few weeks! :( What's everyone else going to do??

Quick Question--I have to complete the supplemental, but if you have retaken classes, do you list the most recent attempt on the supplemental, or do you list BOTH grades?

I put my most recent grades on there but to be sure, contact Liz and she can tell you. :)

So I just got my acceptance; I'm surprised they were so fast! But gah, we only have until January 7th to decide?? My other interviews aren't until the following few weeks! :( What's everyone else going to do??

Congratulations!

About the deposit... I would just look at it as a great insurance plan - if you do not get in at any other schools at least you know you paid and are good to go at this one. But if you know you are going to hear from another school in the very near future (a higher choice than this one) I would wait as long as you could before paying the money. SO you kinda need to decide now what your top choice is based on all your options. Example: If you are waiting to hear from school A (your second choice)in a week, but no interview from your top choice school B for another 2 months, and already in at C your third choice. I would wait to hear from A as long as you can before having to pay for C deposit. If you find out from A in the allotted time, great, if not pay C just in case.

I just got my acceptance too!!!!! but I still have 2 more interviews coming up....what should I do? Hilo is one my top choices, but it would be nice to be able to hear back from other schools and choose.... :(

Wow! That was super fast! When was your interview and where did it take place App? I can't stop the habit of checking my email every hour ever since the day after the interview. When are your other interviews taking place? If it's before the deadline for the reply date at Hilo then I say go to those interviews first and then decide right away. If I were you, I'd make that $500 deposit to reserve my seat at Hilo because that's where I really want to go. Congrats by the way! If you can shine through this interview, I'm sure you'll be great at your other interviews as well!

I just got my acceptance too!!!!! but I still have 2 more interviews coming up....what should I do? Hilo is one my top choices, but it would be nice to be able to hear back from other schools and choose.... :(

Congrats A619! Attend the other interviews and make a $500 deposit to save your seat at hilo. Just to be sure that you'll have a seat regardless of the outcomes of the other interviews.

congrats on the acceptances!

I'm a little worried since people have already gotten acceptances that I have now been relegated to the realm of wait listed or rejected because I have yet to recieve an email. I interviewed last Friday in Vegas and now I am checking my emails just about every 15 minutes. Am I crazy? Anyway I really hope I get accepted.

To those accepted - What was the subject line of the email!?!?!? Thanks!

congrats on the acceptances!

I'm a little worried since people have already gotten acceptances that I have now been relegated to the realm of wait listed or rejected because I have yet to recieve an email. I interviewed last Friday in Vegas and now I am checking my emails just about every 15 minutes. Am I crazy? Anyway I really hope I get accepted.

Dax, I'm having the same problem. I can't stop checking my email in hopes of seeing an acceptance email appearing. I'm nervous now about being wait listed and rejected too. My interview was last Saturday in Vegas. I hope we all hear something soon.....

Does anyone know how we are being scored? Is it
just the interview and writing portion that we are being scored based upon?

To those accepted - What was the subject line of the email!?!?!? Thanks!

ACCEPTED BABY!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

For those who haven't heard - don't panic! My interviewer told me that they notify people in blocks of five at a time so it will happen in waves. Also, my email (subject line: University of Hawaii Office of Admissions) was in my deleted email folder so be sure to check yours.

Gotta run but I'll be back tomorrow! Keep the faith!

ACCEPTED BABY!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

For those who haven't heard - don't panic! My interviewer told me that they notify people in blocks of five at a time so it will happen in waves. Also, my email (subject line: University of Hawaii Office of Admissions) was in my deleted email folder so be sure to check yours.

Gotta run but I'll be back tomorrow! Keep the faith!

Congrats forest! I wish I got the same letter but instead, I was put on wait list. Is that even a good sign? I'm so worried now....

I have been put on the wait list also. *sad face*
As of now I am 0 for 2 (wait listed for both), but still have 3 interviews lined up in January and hopefully a few more coming.

Things are looking not so good at the moment...

also put on the waitlist. i think i cried for a good hour before i came to. hilo was my first choice too..

does anyone know anything about the waitlist process?:(

OMG ACCEPTED TOO!!!

I just got back from work...THIS IS AMAZINGGG!!!!! AHH!!!!!

who else is going to Hilo?!

Congrats forest! I wish I got the same letter but instead, I was put on wait list. Is that even a good sign? I'm so worried now....

As excited as I am to be accepted, I know for those of you who are waitlisted it is bummer because now you have to wait and you can't make plans. But here is a bit of hope - you are likely at the top of the waiting list and last year MANY people were accepted from the waiting list! So, try to find out (if you can) where you are and keep checking. Since the next round of interviews is in Feb, it may be till then before you find out. In the meantime, keep looking at your other prospects but DON'T count Hilo out! If you need some reassurance, read last year's Hilo thread where people from the waiting list got in and after they went through the list they started doing phone interviews to fill up the rest of the class...

I was wait listed too. But it is WAY better than rejection.

I should know from another school by Monday - so we will see.

Congrats to those accepted!

Forest - I am so happy for you that you got your first choice!

I was wait listed too. But it is WAY better than rejection.

I should know from another school by Monday - so we will see.

Congrats to those accepted!

Forest - I am so happy for you that you got your first choice!

I had 2 interviews already, this one waitlisted while the other school will not let me did out until March since they don't do rolling admissions. I wonder if there's any rejection letters out there or are they all waitlisted emails? I woke up last night reading the email and I also cried my eyes out and couldn't fall back asleep. Congrats to everyone who got in though.

I had 2 interviews already, this one waitlisted while the other school will not let me did out until March since they don't do rolling admissions. I wonder if there's any rejection letters out there or are they all waitlisted emails? I woke up last night reading the email and I also cried my eyes out and couldn't fall back asleep. Congrats to everyone who got in though.

I know last night must have been tough but remember you haven't been counted out yet! Keep pursuing your other prospects but know that the door to Hilo has not been closed so you still have a shot. As their offices are closed on Dec. 19 - try and find out more about your status before then if you can. I was waitlisted after my first interview and while it wasn't the news I was hoping for (I mean - we all want to be accepted everywhere so we have choices), I wasn't crushed because that school wasn't the best fit for me. If Hilo is for you, then you can't give up hope!

I know last night must have been tough but remember you haven't been counted out yet! Keep pursuing your other prospects but know that the door to Hilo has not been closed so you still have a shot. As their offices are closed on Dec. 19 - try and find out more about your status before then if you can. I was waitlisted after my first interview and while it wasn't the news I was hoping for (I mean - we all want to be accepted everywhere so we have choices), I wasn't crushed because that school wasn't the best fit for me. If Hilo is for you, then you can't give up hope!

Thanks for the encouragement Forrest! Hilo was actually my first choice so I will continue to stay positive. You are right, we haven't been counted out yet so we shouldn't feel as bad. I guess the hard part for me is to figure out what I am going to do next. I might have to take the GRE and go back to school in the Fall to get my masters just in case I do not get accepted. I went ahead and emailed my interviewer because he said that if I had any questions about the interview then to contact him. I hope he will e-mail me back so that it'll ease my mind a little.

I also went through some old threads and I did not see anything about people being waitlisted and got accepted later on. Did they delete that thread or something?

I'm sure your parents are very proud of you Forrest. I wish I could say the same for mine. I can't even break the news to them yet and tell them that I'm waitlisted. I really don't want to disappoint them because they have been waiting for a couple of years now for me to get accepted.

Thanks for the encouragement Forrest! Hilo was actually my first choice so I will continue to stay positive. You are right, we haven't been counted out yet so we shouldn't feel as bad. I guess the hard part for me is to figure out what I am going to do next. I might have to take the GRE and go back to school in the Fall to get my masters just in case I do not get accepted. I went ahead and emailed my interviewer because he said that if I had any questions about the interview then to contact him. I hope he will e-mail me back so that it'll ease my mind a little.

I also went through some old threads and I did not see anything about people being waitlisted and got accepted later on. Did they delete that thread or something?

I'm sure your parents are very proud of you Forrest. I wish I could say the same for mine. I can't even break the news to them yet and tell them that I'm waitlisted. I really don't want to disappoint them because they have been waiting for a couple of years now for me to get accepted.

That's the spirit! I know it will tough to tell your parents but I hope they understand that this is beyond your control. All you can do is put your best effort forward but you can't control the outcome. Great that you have contact info for your interviewer - keep us posted what you find out.

Here is a link to last year's Hilo thread and the last few pages contain many who got accepted after being waitlisted, etc. Of course, it happened late in the process so that could be a nail biter. Hopefully, since you are in the early group, you'll find out much sooner!:xf:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=569477&highlight=hilo

That's the spirit! I know it will tough to tell your parents but I hope they understand that this is beyond your control. All you can do is put your best effort forward but you can't control the outcome. Great that you have contact info for your interviewer - keep us posted what you find out.

Here is a link to last year's Hilo thread and the last few pages contain many who got accepted after being waitlisted, etc. Of course, it happened late in the process so that could be a nail biter. Hopefully, since you are in the early group, you'll find out much sooner!:xf:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=569477&highlight=hilo

Thanks for the link! I feel much better now. However, I hope that they don't wait until last minute to pull people off the list like they did for the last application cycle. I hope they will tell us 3-4 months in advance so that for those who are accepted can make moving arrangements. I wonder if we would have to go through a phone interview if they pull us off the list. Hehehehe

You're the best Forrest! Thanks for reassuring my confidence.

First, CONGRATULATIONS to all that are accepted!!!! Yayy!

RxgrL, I also was put as an alternate. I was so bummed and disappointed yesterday I couldn't even look online yesterday to see about others. I was put on the waitlist for other schools last year so this is so hard for me this year to go through again. The good thing is that we weren't rejected, so we still have a chance. There was something they liked about us so there is definitely a possibility for acceptance later. =)

The letter stated that the list is unranked. Do you think they must have one but they state they don't because they don't want so many students callling to find out what number they are? I've always wondered about that.

First, CONGRATULATIONS to all that are accepted!!!! Yayy!

RxgrL, I also was put as an alternate. I was so bummed and disappointed yesterday I couldn't even look online yesterday to see about others. I was put on the waitlist for other schools last year so this is so hard for me this year to go through again. The good thing is that we weren't rejected, so we still have a chance. There was something they liked about us so there is definitely a possibility for acceptance later. =)

The letter stated that the list is unranked. Do you think they must have one but they state they don't because they don't want so many students callling to find out what number they are? I've always wondered about that.

Dreamer,
I've also noticed that too....about the "unranked list." I don't think they want us to call them. LOL Maybe Forrest is right about us finding out sooner than others because we were among the group who interviewed early. Did you apply to Hilo last year too? If so, were you on the waitlist last year for Hilo? I guess a lot of us are on the same boat right now. Who knows? Among those who are accepted might decide that Hilo isn't for them and they might decide to choose another school of their choice. This will open up seats for us. =) I'll be praying for the rest of us who are waitlisted.

RxGrl and Dreamer57,

looks like we're in the same boat! lets just hold on to this life raft we have together and hope we'll be meeting in the Fall. RxGrl, who was your interviewer? I was thinking of e-mailing mine too but if we have the same one, I don't want to bombard him with questions.

I'll be interviewing In February in Vegas. What kind of chances do I have interviewing so late.

Got waitlisted too :eek: But since I'm already accepted to my state school and another school, then it's okay. :D Emailed Hilo to withdraw me from the the waitlist so you guys are bumped up one spot! Yea! :highfive:

Got waitlisted too :eek: But since I'm already accepted to my state school and another school, then it's okay. :D Emailed Hilo to withdraw me from the the waitlist so you guys are bumped up one spot! Yea! :highfive:
Thanks Kashkow! At least that leaves a spot for us since you're going to another school. Best of luck to you. I hope everyone else who is not planning to attend Hilo will withdraw themselves as well so that we can find out whether we will get an acceptance soon or not and let's hope it is not up until the last minute. =)

RxShazzie,
My interviewer was Dr. Wright and he suggested forwarding all questions to Liz (he forwarded my email to her as well)