University of Illinois Class of 2013!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Ha, well I certainly know who "ehjay" is, that is an easy one. I have my suspicions on who Zip may be... Actually, I am pretty sure I know ;)

Last edited:
Alright accepted folks, I got my "decision made yadda yadda additional correspondence" status change today and I'm waiting on a CBC email. What are my chances at this stage of the game? I hope the majority of people with decision made status are still acceptances and not rejections. I would much like to see you next year!

Hello! :)

Just received my acceptance today. Man, I'm excited to be a part of this great class!!

hey guys i'm a third year at the chicago campus and if u guys have any questions just hit me up. congrats on getting it, its a big accomplishment. Just sit and relax and enjoy this time before the fun starts.

When do we find out when school starts, etc?

Is anyone watching this Bears game? I mean....ughhhhhh

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone elaborate on the rotations at the UIC campus. How they feel about them? Or think about them? I feel that US news rankings don't mean a thing, medical schools should be judged by what the rotations have to offer towards the medical education IMO and not according to research.

Can someone elaborate on the rotations at the UIC campus. How they feel about them? Or think about them? I feel that US news rankings don't mean a thing, medical schools should be judged by what the rotations have to offer towards the medical education IMO and not according to research.

I'm a preclinical student, so take this with a grain of salt... The hospitals in the Chicagoland area (UIC, Rush, Northwestern, County, Christ, etc.) all offer tremendous patient diversity and solid faculty. At the larger/busier/specialty centers, you'll see high acuity patients, too.

Unfortunately, that's about all I've got to offer; perhaps an M3/M4 will stumble across this and offer some advice.

Any accepted folks going to the tour tomorrow (noon) at the Chicago Campus? I interviewed at Rockford so I think I will. I guess I'll
dress to impress to fit in with the interviewees. Hope to see some of you there!

Congrats to all those recently accepted!

If anyone from the chicago area has suggestions on housing around UIC please let me know! I'm starting to look at prices/places to live. Thanks!
I've been looking for apartments already too. I've been talking to a Real Estate Consultant who advised me that it's still a little early to see what is available for July/Aug. Most properties release their availability about 45-60 days out.

hey guys i'm a third year at the chicago campus and if u guys have any questions just hit me up. congrats on getting it, its a big accomplishment. Just sit and relax and enjoy this time before the fun starts.

I have a couple of questions. 1) What do you think about off-campus housing as opposed to living in the dorms the first year? 2) When does the white coat ceremony take place?

I have a couple of questions. 1) What do you think about off-campus housing as opposed to living in the dorms the first year? 2) When does the white coat ceremony take place?

A little under half of our class lives on campus, I'd say. It's close, but it's dorm life. If you've seen one dorm, you've seen these. I live off campus and wouldn't have it any other way. It just depends on what you're looking for. The white coat ceremony takes place at the end of orientation week, before the first week of classes.

When do we get our UIC NetID? I'm looking into putting down a deposit for SSR on campus housing, but it requires a NetID to fill out the application.

When do we get our UIC NetID? I'm looking into putting down a deposit for SSR on campus housing, but it requires a NetID to fill out the application.

I don't know when they'll put them in the system, but you'll need your UIN. Once you have that, you can activate your NetID here.

A little under half of our class lives on campus, I'd say. It's close, but it's dorm life. If you've seen one dorm, you've seen these. I live off campus and wouldn't have it any other way. It just depends on what you're looking for. The white coat ceremony takes place at the end of orientation week, before the first week of classes.

Thanks for the helpful info! I have a few more questions... :D

How long is your commute to campus everyday (seeing how you live off campus)? Do you know of anyone who drives to school? If so what is the parking situation like? My primary goal is to get an apartment that is walking distance to the campus...but during my search I've found that there are better prices on rent 5 to 10 miles away from the campus.

Cheers!

ShellyBelly,

I live three miles away from campus and your commute time depends greatly whether or not you can use public transportation EASILY. I would live somewhere near Ashland or Damen. Both of the buses, the 9 and 50, respectively, are on CTA bus tracker and that makes life so much easier. Those buses both run right by campus and there is no need to transfer. Furthermore, living in Wicker Park or Bucktown, will put you in proximity to the Blue line (which also runs to campus) and in between the two aforementioned bus lines. If you choose to live in Wrigleyville/lincoln park/oldtown (I advise against all of these places) you will have to transfer and the commute could easily take, via public transportation, 45 minutes to an hour.

If you want to bike to campus, living near Damen or Ashland will give you access to a "protected" bike route. I like to bike, but it is not for the faint of heart, even on the bike routes. I am partial, if it is not immediately evident by this post, to Bucktown and Wicker Park because it is far enough from campus to seem like you are getting away, while close enough that you are within 20 minutes via PT. Hope this helps...

Thanks for the helpful info! I have a few more questions... :D

How long is your commute to campus everyday (seeing how you live off campus)? Do you know of anyone who drives to school? If so what is the parking situation like? My primary goal is to get an apartment that is walking distance to the campus...but during my search I've found that there are better prices on rent 5 to 10 miles away from the campus.

Cheers!

ShellyBelly,

I live three miles away from campus and your commute time depends greatly whether or not you can use public transportation EASILY. I would live somewhere near Ashland or Damen. Both of the buses, the 9 and 50, respectively, are on CTA bus tracker and that makes life so much easier. Those buses both run right by campus and there is no need to transfer. Furthermore, living in Wicker Park or Bucktown, will put you in proximity to the Blue line (which also runs to campus) and in between the two aforementioned bus lines. If you choose to live in Wrigleyville/lincoln park/oldtown (I advise against all of these places) you will have to transfer and the commute could easily take, via public transportation, 45 minutes to an hour.

If you want to bike to campus, living near Damen or Ashland will give you access to a "protected" bike route. I like to bike, but it is not for the faint of heart, even on the bike routes. I am partial, if it is not immediately evident by this post, to Bucktown and Wicker Park because it is far enough from campus to seem like you are getting away, while close enough that you are within 20 minutes via PT. Hope this helps...

Wow, thank you so much Classic17!! That's very helpful advise and I'll make sure to keep that in mind as I continue my search :woot:

I live about 3 miles away also. I either bike, drive, or take 2 buses to get to campus. :)

Hi guys,

I sent in my Site Preference Card a few weeks ago, but I haven't received any correspondence from UIC yet. When should I expect to hear back from them concerning the campus I've been assigned to?

Thanks, and congratulations to all who were accepted this year.

Rockford track right here! I live about an hour west of Rockford and actually commute there every day for work right now. I'm thinking I will finally check out the Rockford campus next week since I'm a whole 5 minutes away from it haha. I'm gettin kinda antzy about Chambana housing, I have some things in mind but need somebody to go halvsies on an apartment with...anybody interested PM me.

So many things going through my mind about the transition right now. I wanna hear what everyone else is doing:

1) Do you have a car? If you do, are you going to keep it?
2) Will you get cable? Internet?
3) How far is too far to be away from campus?
4) Can non UIC students live in the campus housing with you?
5) When does the UIC health insurance kick in?
6) Should I get a PDA, iphone (really want one, but the monthly costs! ugh), or ipod touch for "medically" related stuff.
7) Are we required to have laptops for class?
8) Do I need documentation of the Step 2 TB tests, or can I just write in when they were done on the form?
9) How much are you willing to spend on rent?

Oooookay... here goes. :)

1) Do you have a car? If you do, are you going to keep it?

I have a car. Not a necessity, but certainly wonderful for times you want to get away for a weekend or go to a nice dinner and not worry about public transportation. That said, some of the Longitudinal Primary Care (LPC) preceptor assignments for your Essentials of Clinical Medicine (ECM) course will be far in the suburbs. You may either need a car, to borrow a car, or to trade preceptor assignments if you don't have one.

2) Will you get cable? Internet?

Personal preference; I could not live without either.

3) How far is too far to be away from campus?

Much more than 2-3 miles (unless you live right by pubic transportation) is probably starting to push it.

4) Can non UIC students live in the campus housing with you?

In either SSR or SRH (or possibly both), yes. There are people who live with their fiance/spouses. You'll pay double (for two spaces), but it's been done.

5) When does the UIC health insurance kick in?

First day of classes.

6) Should I get a PDA, iphone (really want one, but the monthly costs! ugh), or ipod touch for "medically" related stuff.

You don't need "medically-related stuff" until 2nd or 3rd year. If you want one, get it, but don't use school as an excuse. ;) An iPod Touch would be a good compromise; get the WiFi, apps, and iPod in one without monthly charges. Plenty of people in my class have iPhones.

7) Are we required to have laptops for class?

Nope, but a lot of people use them. Personal preference based on how you best take notes.

8) Do I need documentation of the Step 2 TB tests, or can I just write in when they were done on the form?

Unless you're sending in pictures of your arm, just the dates and indurations will be enough.

9) How much are you willing to spend on rent?

I spend about $800 on my mortgage, but there are plenty of people who spend considerably less than that; especially with 2-3 roommates. The ~$8300 you'll get in room/board/books loan money should be more than enough to get you through the semester if you're smart about it. :)

Welcome!

Thanks Zip!! One last question (fingers crossed), when can we start working on getting the campus housing? Are they worth it in terms of price? What did you do?

Thanks sooooo much!

Thanks Zip!! One last question (fingers crossed), when can we start working on getting the campus housing? Are they worth it in terms of price? What did you do?

Thanks sooooo much!

If you're accepted and assigned, you can start the housing application process now. They're dorms; if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Pricewise, they're no better or worse than anywhere else, but you can probably get a nicer place for the same money if you rent an off-campus apartment. I bought a condo in Old Town and commute.

Anyone reading this currently attend the Peoria campus? Just got site assignment for Peoria and would love to know more. Not that Chicago stuff isn't interesting but....you get it! Read on the secondary thread that many mentioned that Peoria students are in class a LONG time (per day) compared to the other campuses, can anyone verify this or shed some light on it? And what about housing for Urbana? Been looking for some but don't know ANYTHING about the place! Looked at Google images but that's about it! Thanks!

Last edited:
The adcom is taking their sweet time with my site assignment. T-minus 2 weeks since winter break. I hope I get some news come this week :D

Oooookay... here goes. :)

I have a car. Not a necessity, but certainly wonderful for times you want to get away for a weekend or go to a nice dinner and not worry about public transportation. That said, some of the Longitudinal Primary Care (LPC) preceptor assignments for your Essentials of Clinical Medicine (ECM) course will be far in the suburbs. You may either need a car, to borrow a car, or to trade preceptor assignments if you don't have one.

Personal preference; I could not live without either.

Much more than 2-3 miles (unless you live right by pubic transportation) is probably starting to push it.

In either SSR or SRH (or possibly both), yes. There are people who live with their fiance/spouses. You'll pay double (for two spaces), but it's been done.

First day of classes.

You don't need "medically-related stuff" until 2nd or 3rd year. If you want one, get it, but don't use school as an excuse. ;) An iPod Touch would be a good compromise; get the WiFi, apps, and iPod in one without monthly charges. Plenty of people in my class have iPhones.

Nope, but a lot of people use them. Personal preference based on how you best take notes.

Unless you're sending in pictures of your arm, just the dates and indurations will be enough.

I spend about $800 on my mortgage, but there are plenty of people who spend considerably less than that; especially with 2-3 roommates. The ~$8300 you'll get in room/board/books loan money should be more than enough to get you through the semester if you're smart about it. :)

Welcome!

Zipmedic....this is really helpful info!! Thanks a bunch!!:clap:

zipmedic, do you know ANYONE who has gone the UPR track? We are trying to get info about that track. We don't want to petition to get Chicago because everyone is and we'd like to just get housing and get settled with things now...not mid-May or June after a petition. Thanks.

zipmedic, do you know ANYONE who has gone the UPR track? We are trying to get info about that track. We don't want to petition to get Chicago because everyone is and we'd like to just get housing and get settled with things now...not mid-May or June after a petition. Thanks.

I don't personally, but I'll ask around and see if I can get someone to come on here and tell you about it. :)

I was assigned UPR track but I'm going to petition for Chicago. I can't look for housing yet until I find out whether my petition is granted in the summer, so for now I'm basically going to hold off or glance at both Urbana and Chicago housing. Perhaps we can start a list of people in the same boat since we all can't commit to a roommate just yet and those of us who get Chicago can get share a place and those of us who don't can share a place in Urbana. That somewhat gives us a cushion so we don't end up with no roommates. I sure wouldn't want to pay for a one-bedroom in the loop alone!

Hey guys, I'm an M2 at the Rockford campus. We had someone from Kaplan talking to us about their step 1 prep. I'm thinking about taking their 15 day prep course but the nearest spot would be the UIC med campus in Chicago. Anyone have any ideas for housing or know any M1s that won't be around and want to sublet for a couple of weeks? I think the class will go from like the end of may to early june. Thanks

can anyone offer any insight into the medical center apartments and the medical district city apartments?

can anyone offer any insight into the medical center apartments and the medical district city apartments?

oh man, I would love the answer to this too. I've been looking on Craigs list, but it's so hard to judge unless you look at the apartments....

Never lived in either, but I've heard nothing but awful things from people who lived there. Poor/unresponsive management, spotty hot water, management office loses your packages, etc.

Not sure how much veracity these claims have, but the people who made them were quite animated.

Hey guys, I'm an M2 at the Rockford campus. We had someone from Kaplan talking to us about their step 1 prep. I'm thinking about taking their 15 day prep course but the nearest spot would be the UIC med campus in Chicago. Anyone have any ideas for housing or know any M1s that won't be around and want to sublet for a couple of weeks? I think the class will go from like the end of may to early june. Thanks

I will be gone from May 16th to June 19th and have a 15-20 minute bus ride to campus (about the same if you bike). PM me.

DO NOT LIVE IN MD APTS. . . Too expensive and terrible management. I know of two people who live there and are going to break their lease, pay the fines to live somewhere else.

Anybody here on the UPR track not petitioning for Chicago? I'm looking for a person or 2 to go in on an apartment with me at UIUC and figured that it would be nice to room with other med students. I went to UIUC my freshman year so I know the campus well, and I was down on the campus last weekend checking out apartments. I have some things in mind but just am looking for roommates since I don't wanna pay out the big bucks for a single. I'm on the UIC Medicine Class of 2013 facebook group (Mark Jordan) so if you are interested add me or PM me on here.

Markymark, Great idea...however, we are looking for family housing (wife + 1.5 kids). Since you've been to UIUC...could you tell us where NOT to live? Or give us suggestions? Been looking on craigslist and found a few but we don't know. It's hard to get into housing having never seen the city or the apt! But it's only one year then we'll be in Peoria so how bad could it be not seeing the place? ha ha ha

Is anyone else married? Anyone else have children?