University of Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavaor

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about Univ Illinois, specifically the Urbana-Champaign campus for M1 and Rockford for M2-M4.

Members don't see this ad.

I grew up in the area, and had a friend who went to Rockford. Rockford can feel like the middle of nowhere (which it is), but my friend said he was allowed alot of hands on work. You will need a car if you go to Rockford.

I just graduated from U of I undergrad and some medical school professors taught my undergrad science courses. The M1 year in Champaign is pretty typical. Very book heavy. You're in class quite a bit. For Rockford (2nd year), I've heard that it's pretty small and tailored toward primary care. Peoria, is a little bigger, and will allow you to interact with residents more during the clinical years because there are residency programs in Peoria. I interviewed at Peoria and thought it was OK.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you get into most residency programs even if your M3 and M4 years focused mostly on primary care? I know that USMLE scores and grades play a big part but are they the only factors?

I've heard about students from Peoria and Rockford both getting ultra-competitive residencies (e.g. neurosurgery at Harvard)

From the match list I saw for Rockford and Peoria, it looked that Rockford had a slight edge but both had ultra competitive matches. I was told the bonus with Rockford was because there are no residents you get alot more clinical experience.