University of Incarnate Word

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyesarecool

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the new UIW College of Optometry will require a bachelors degree for admission or will they allow early admission?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know if the new UIW College of Optometry will require a bachelors degree for admission or will they allow early admission?

I don't think anybody knows - we are all still in denial that they really are opening up another college close to a long standing school with a fantastic reputation. Completely unnecessary...

I would hazard a guess and say they probably will prefer a degree, but do what other schools do and let you apply once you have 90 credits complete, including all of the prereqs.

I doubt they will require a degree. Its all about money for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt they will require a degree. Its all about money for them.

While I do believe that profit is the main concern of the school, I'm not sure what requiring a degree has to do with that. Many of the schools do not require a degree in lieu of a significant amount of undergrad course work, with Indiana being one of the schools, right?

While I do believe that profit is the main concern of the school, I'm not sure what requiring a degree has to do with that. Many of the schools do not require a degree in lieu of a significant amount of undergrad course work, with Indiana being one of the schools, right?

One less barrier to collecting the tuition.

I doubt they will be able to be selective enough to deny those w/o 4 year degree. I was admitted to SCO prior to finishing undergrad, but I was only 10 hrs short on useless general courses (1 speech, 2 general electives and it was because I was a double major) and had a 3.89 GPA so I'm probably not the standard.

That has yet to be determined but since it is a Catholic school, all of the female students will be required to wear plaid jumpers and saddle shoes while all of the male students will be required to wear clip on ties and dockers.

That has yet to be determined but since it is a Catholic school, all of the female students will be required to wear plaid jumpers and saddle shoes while all of the male students will be required to wear clip on ties and dockers.
:laugh:

I'll try not to take that as Catholic bashing. :thumbdown:

Wow.

I don't know how, in the name of Christ, anyone could have considered that joke "Catholic bashing.":rolleyes:

It might have been "Catholic SCHOOL" bashing, but certainly not "Catholic bashing." :cool:
If anything you are helping to promote the school. Heck, if the girls are dressed like you say, I can't wait until I get to lecture there.;)

If anything you are helping to promote the school. Heck, if the girls are dressed like you say, I can't wait until I get to lecture there.;)

Why not take it a step further?

Open your own optometry school (female only of course)!

Didn't a DO school just open this fall up there in Washington? I'm sure they'll be looking to add one there pretty soon. If that doesn't float your boat, I've heard some rumors that a new DO school will be opening in Lebanon, OR in the future if you want to move down south the I-5 corridor a little ways. I'm sure they would love to open an optometry school with you as the new dean! :smuggrin:

Why not take it a step further?

Open your own optometry school (female only of course)!

That would be kinda dumb considering there is a shortage in male Optometry applicants in Texas. I could not see that happening.

That would be kinda dumb considering there is a shortage in male Optometry applicants in Texas. I could not see that happening.

It was a joke.

Come on guys! You are making a lot of blanket assumptions about the two new optometry schools (or is it 3?) Oh well.............Some schools already accept applicants with 3.1-3.2 GPA's----hell some DO Medical Schools have matriculant averages that are between 3.1 and 3.2. A friend of mine got into a DO medical school with a 3.02 GPA in undergrad and he is a DO internal Medicine Physician now!-----those patients had better watch out because he had ONLY a 3.02 GPA in undergrad 8 years ago.......NONSENSE! The expansion of optometry schools is just enevitable and so is a decline in earnings eventually! Until more people want to apply (making the supply--seats in OD programs less and the demand---more applicants--->greater) your perceived "gloom and doom" seems likely. Do not fret though, I along with many of my counterparts had 3.5 GPA's or higher and we had to "work" the admissions process to get in-----it was not easy for me but here I am......

No...to the contrary, what that means is that there is an excess of FEMALE optometry school applicants in Texas, and because of that it only makes sense to open an all-girls optometry school. I nominate Dr. Chudner as President and myself as Dean. :laugh: