University of Kansas program opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flatulence

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people know about the University of Kansas program in Kansas City? From what I've heard It has a wide load of cases and does a lot of hearts but may be weak on regional anesthesia. I'm from the midwest so living in Kansas City won't be much of an adjustment for my family and I. Does anyone know what the resident work load is like and how the attendings are as far as teaching goes? I would love to here some feedback :)

Thanks,
flatulence

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also interested in this program. I think everyone is from the East or West coast around here so it may be tough to find someone knowledgable about this program due to geographic reasons.

well, you lucked out...i'm just graduating from ku med so i can give you first hand knowledge of the program! i matched in gas outside of kansas, for personal reasons, and not because the program at ku is sub-standard by any means. the program at ku in kansas city is strong for many reasons...tons of heart cases (there is a soon to open heart hospital which will bring in even more numbers) consisting mainly of CABG's, valves, congenital malformations and exposure to TEE is outstanding. there is loads of ortho, ENT, uro, plastics, general, pain, and trauma. ku does do renal and liver transplants, no other organs as of yet (maybe with the heart hospital a heart transplant program will surface???). ob is very busy and one will get a lot of experience with epidurals/spinals, etc. also, about a year ago a new faculty member was added who specializes in regional, and i see him really taking leadership to improve the amount of regional that is done at ku. the faculty are absolutely top notch, both personally and academically and the program director is by far the most warm and generous physician i have ever met. there is a high boards pass rate and residents have no problems securing fellowships or academic/private practice positions. work hours and call are also extremely reasonable.

i hope this has helped...feel free to pm me if you have any more q's.

Members don't see this ad :)
p.s. i also forgot to mention that there is great exposure to neuro cases. ;)

flatulence said:
From what I've heard It has a wide load of cases and does a lot of hearts but may be weak on regional anesthesia.

:laugh:

Just funny because, in general, your statement above is a theme you will hear a lot on the interview trail at MANY programs. Point is, all programs get their numbers... or they wouldn't be accredited. The concern echoed in that sentence is not a reason to disqualify a program from your rank list.

-Skip

Hey Jayhawk,

I'm also interested in the KU programs. Do you know much about the anesthesia program at Wichita? If I remember dont KU students rotatate at WIchita as well? BTW, if the program in KC was so great why did you want to go to another program?

DO 04 said:
Hey Jayhawk,

I'm also interested in the KU programs. Do you know much about the anesthesia program at Wichita? If I remember dont KU students rotatate at WIchita as well? BTW, if the program in KC was so great why did you want to go to another program?

KU is set up so around 1/3 of our class goes to Wichita after the preclinical years to do their rotations. I stayed in Kansas City, so unfortunately, I do not know much about the Wichita program. Also, Kansas City students do not have to rotate in Wichita, unless they want to.

There are many factors that influenced my decision to not stay at Kansas for residency, personal and geographical being the most important. The program at KU is wonderful...I am just ready to experience life in a new place.

I graduated from KU a year ago and I rotated through their anesthesia program. I matched in anesthesia elsewhere because I was sick of Kansas. I would have to say that the faculty there were about half and half (half really good and half did not give a damn). The residency program director iswonderful (he is probably the programs best asset). I did hear that their chairman is stepping down to do something else with the medical school so it will be interesting to see who they get to fill that slot. KU does do a lot of cases, you would have no problems getting your numbers. But their pain and regional anesthesia is extremely weak virtually nonexistant. The main childrens hospital in KC is Childrens Mercy. I believe that residents rotate there but in my opinion you should be able to get all of your cases at one place. I wanted to goto a program that did alot of heart (adult and pedi) and liver transplants because if you can do that you can do anything in anesthesia. And KU is not strong in that area either. I think that most of the residents are relatively happy. The program is very inbred meaning most of the attendings (and residents) went to KU medical school and did their residency there which can be a negative. Overall, it is an average program. By no means would I say it is wonderful but there are much worse.
The Wichita program is sub par in my opinion. If I was to do anesthesia, I would definitely stay in KC. Wichita is one of the most boring places I have ever been, so the town itself does the program a huge disservice. I interviewed there and was not impressed with the faculty or the residents. I know that you can moonlight there and make a ton of money but the program is small and has alot of FMG's. It is also very inbred. Bottom line is that there are alot better programs in the midwest. KU -Wichita ranks towards the bottom in my opinion.

Skip Intro said:
:laugh:

Just funny because, in general, your statement above is a theme you will hear a lot on the interview trail at MANY programs. Point is, all programs get their numbers... or they wouldn't be accredited. The concern echoed in that sentence is not a reason to disqualify a program from your rank list.

-Skip

Haha. You are so right! I have heard that statement made in reference to almost every place I looked at.