University of Maryland: Baltimore Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called them today and they told me that I have been placed on waiting list, and im number 35. Does anyone know my chances of geting in. I really wanted to go to this school but I guess its my time to start looking elsewhere.

I called them today and they told me that I have been placed on waiting list, and im number 35. Does anyone know my chances of geting in. I really wanted to go to this school but I guess its my time to start looking elsewhere.

Seems good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

I think you have a great chance! I large batch of acceptances went out about two weeks ago and not all of those people are going to accept and their deadline to reply is coming up. So, I think you'll be ok!

Thanks but I'm just gonna keep my options open. I just didn't want to 1000 bucks deposit at my other school.

Thanks but I'm just gonna keep my options open. I just didn't want to 1000 bucks deposit at my other school.

Have you received admission offers from more than one school? What is the deadline for submitting the respective deposits? Is it more important to you to be able to matriculate this year or it's more important that you get into Maryland? What will be the difference in tuition between Maryland and your second choice school? Would you rather start this year or go through the entier application process all over again next year just for a chance to get into UMD? These are all questions you must consider in making your decision.

I wouldn't want to pay a $1,000 deposit at another school that I'm not too keen on attending. HOWEVER, in your case, if you've already been offered admission to the other school (and especially if their deposit deadline is right around the corner), I would advise you to go ahead and send them the deposit. After all, a bird in hand is worth ten in the bush. Also, if the other school happens to be more expen$ive than UMD and you end up getting into UMD after having paid the $1,000 deposit, consider it as a security deposit for a less expensive school . I'm speaking (or, in this case, typing) from experience. I was offered admission to my second choice school in January. They have a great reputation and a fantastic program but Maryland was my first choice. However, because I took the PCAT in January, it meant Maryland wouldn't receive my official PCAT scores until some time in March (the other school, like other SOPs, conditionally accepted my unofficial PCAT scores and evaluated my file based on that. They invited me for an interview and offered me admission contingent on receiving my official scores. Maryland doesn't do that.) Long story short, when I received my acceptance letter from the other school in January, I had 2 weeks to decide whether to send them the deposit or give up my spot. In the end, I decided to send them the $1,000 deposit while waiting to hear from Maryland. (In exchange, I withdrew my applications from other schools and declined all other interview invitations. That way, I was able to save the money I would otherwise have spent on supplemental application fees or travel expenses for interviews). I finally heard back from UMD and I got in. I consider the $1,000 lost to the other school a part of the application process. (But I've still not officially given up my spot at the other school yet because I'm waiting for everything to be finalized with Maryland i.e., until they cash my deposit check and send me my student ID # and other login credentials and confirm that I have a spot at the Baltimore campus as I requested, I'm holding on to my spot; after all, I've paid for it, and that's what my deposit is for (and that is another reason why you may want to consider paying the deposit at the school that has already offered you admission - there's no telling whether/when those who've been offered admission will turn down the offer, making room for those on the waiting list).

Well, I really dont want to sit out a year and reapply again. I honestly made a mistake by applying to only 6 six school in which 3 of those i got rejected. I have been placed on waiting list by another school, University at Buffalo, and I got accepted at Universiyt of New England which wants its first $ 1000 which is due within a week and the other 1000 dollar due on June 15th. Also UNE cost about 37K a year plus living and board which will bring to about 50k per year, this is scary my friend. UMB will be far better school for me cuz of its tuition fees and I was planning to file for resident once I get there. So its really hard to decide what I would do but most likely im going to pay my 1000 dollar deposit and hope for the best.

Well, I really dont want to sit out a year and reapply again. I honestly made a mistake by applying to only 6 six school in which 3 of those i got rejected. I have been placed on waiting list by another school, University at Buffalo, and I got accepted at Universiyt of New England which wants its first $ 1000 which is due within a week and the other 1000 dollar due on June 15th. Also UNE cost about 37K a year plus living and board which will bring to about 50k per year, this is scary my friend. UMB will be far better school for me cuz of its tuition fees and I was planning to file for resident once I get there. So its really hard to decide what I would do but most likely im going to pay my 1000 dollar deposit and hope for the best.

Yes, paying $1,000 now is a wise decision. I hope you get into Maryland. SUNY is another REALLY GREAT school. They have a fantastic program and it's relatively inexpensive, especially if you're able to establish in-state residency. It was one of my top three choices but I didn't want to take biochem so in the end, I crossed it off my list. I wish you all the best and I'll be looking forward to reading on this forum that you got accepted to Maryland!

I am # 15 on the waitlist and i'm so scared!!

Hang in there, mate. Tomorrow is the deadline for making tuition deposits so hopefully you'll hear from them some time this week. Waiting can be torturous, I know, but hang in there. At #15, I think you have a great chance of getting in.

#17 when I last called a couple of days ago.
I dont want to call Patrice constantly, but do you guys think they will even go through the waitlist this year?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using SDN Mobile

I believe the wl does move. Two weeks ago, I was number 36. I called back again this last Friday and I was #15. I'm calling the back tomorrow to see where am. Obviously it does move. Just hope we get in.

I believe the wl does move. Two weeks ago, I was number 36. I called back again this last Friday and I was #15. I'm calling the back tomorrow to see where am. Obviously it does move. Just hope we get in.

I was 13 last week! I feel like the waitlist thing moves but, again you dont know. I rather not worry about it and just wait for them to email me when i get in. They also said that this might go till august.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: decided to go to Shady grove! Anybody else going there?

No I was not on the wait list. The admissions committee messed up on my application, marked me down as a no show to the interview. I only found out after my three attempts of contacting the office about my status. That's when Ms. sharp finally informs me that they never reviewed my file due to this mistake. I don't even understand how this can even occur. It's very unfair for me now since the Baltimore campus is all filled up and they can only offer admissions to Shady Grove. I don't see why I need to pay the price for someone's mistake! it's quite ridiculous! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

And you know what infuriates me more? Patrice tries to justify that I was treated fairly by saying all of the seat for Baltimore was taken by March. I had my interview on March 11!!!! Come on everyone knows that UM is not a rolling admission school and they wait until April to send out majority of their acceptances. I seriously wish I can talk to someone about this. I emailed the dean and all she did was forward my concerns back to Patrice. Which resulted in me getting scolded my Patrice for 7 minutes on the phone. She was very rude and unprofessional. She had no right to scold me for expressing my concerns. She literally told me that writing to the dean won't help me get into pharmacy school. Can she be any more empathetic? Obviously, I was concerned about not getting in with the application cycle coming to an end. I have never felt so helpless. :thumbdown:thumbdown

I don't blame you for being furious. I'm sure I would have been angered but you always gotta look on the good side. They at least accepted you even though shade groove wasn't your first choice. However it is kind shady if they told you that Baltimore campus was already full but march when the majority of acceptance was sent out in April. That's right there myself, makes me wonder. I just hope that things get better, it would have been worse.

hi i've been following this thread because i'm looking to apply next year and just wanted some advice. is everyone here applying with a bachelor's? i know on their website it says that no preference is given to those with a degree to those without one but practically, what are my chances of getting in if i apply as a sophmore?
any responses will be much appreciated! :) :) :)

Hi, im also currently a sophomore or lemne say was a sophomore. I got in based in my gpa, pcat n most of all my interview performance cos I was relaxed n calm for my interview. Also, be prayerful. Lol.

I got a letter saying they did not receive my supplemental application fee in time even though this is incorrect. I submitted it the day of the deadline. I even emailed them to notify them of payment (TWICE) when it was submitted. I never received conformation from them, and for that reason I was not keen on UMD anyway. (Most schools respond right away.)

The vast majority will have a great experience with this school, I just wasn't one of them.

Best of luck to the UMD class of 2017.

wow thats really impressive! congrats! so im depending on my gpa but i'm getting nervous about the pcat since i havn't taken organic chemistry yet... how did you prepare for the pcat?

Use the MCAT prep exam cracker 1001 questions for Ochem, chem. use kaplans mcat book for bio. When you take the pcat it will be cake walk.

wow thats really impressive! congrats! so im depending on my gpa but i'm getting nervous about the pcat since i havn't taken organic chemistry yet... how did you prepare for the pcat?

I was in orgo1 when I took the pcat. Just use some orgo text materials n yiu should be fine bulk of the chemistry is just general chem questions. I had problems with the comprehension section

thanks for the advice! also, after speaking with a professor he said there would be no chance of me getting in because most schools go by the point system so if i apply with a perfect gpa while still needing to take ochem 2, physics 2, and calculus, an applicant who got c's in all those classes still has an advantage over me. do find that this is true? or did you apply having already taken most of the prereqs?

thanks for the advice! also, after speaking with a professor he said there would be no chance of me getting in because most schools go by the point system so if i apply with a perfect gpa while still needing to take ochem 2, physics 2, and calculus, an applicant who got c's in all those classes still has an advantage over me. do find that this is true? or did you apply having already taken most of the prereqs?

That's not completely true. Your professor is correct when he said most schools look at the completion of your prerequisites but d most important thing is having a good gpa n pcat score so that you can be invited for an interview. Also, if you've a good gpa like you u said then you should be able to take both orgo2 n physics 2 either in the summer or fall semester. This also means that youve got 4 semesters before the fall of 2014. So get it done but some schools require a minimum of 30 credit hours in order for you to apply. Most schools look at your science gpa too. Oh well I know I was once in your shoes n I was so worried about prerequisites but I got in. It's all about having faith n believing in yourself. Finally, your prof. Isn't in any admission committee. Lol
:laugh:

yea i'm planning on taking general bio, ochem 1, and physics 1 this fall but i was just worried that it wouldn't be enough because i'd still be missing 3 major classes (ochem 2, physics 2, and calculus) which i want to take in the spring but it's encouraging to know that you did it so thanks for all the advice! :)

If anyone is interested in getting an apt near the Shady Grove campus, msg me! :D

Does anybody get the actual packet?

Last edited:
yea i'm planning on taking general bio, ochem 1, and physics 1 this fall but i was just worried that it wouldn't be enough because i'd still be missing 3 major classes (ochem 2, physics 2, and calculus) which i want to take in the spring but it's encouraging to know that you did it so thanks for all the advice! :)
Heyy Osh213,

Physics 1 and 2 aren't on the PCATs so you shouldn't worry about the material being on the test. You should definitely take Orgo 1 and 2 if you want to score well on the chemistry section though. I took the PCATs after I took the majority of my pre-reqs and I scored over 90th percentile the first time I took it. This is because of the solid foundation I had from my classes! I definitely agree with using the MCAT books for practice, although they are a little more difficult than the PCAT practice books. In terms of applying without a bachelor's, it's not necessary but, keep in mind that the majority of applicants are coming in with degrees/already have degrees. Some even have their masters! If you want to enter professional school after finishing your sophomore year, ask yourself if you're ready for the rigor and pressure in pharmacy school. It will definitely be a lot more difficult than college, so it's something you want to consider. If you are serious about applying during your sophomore year, make sure you have the majority of your pre-reqs done by that spring semester, although you have until around beginning of August to complete your remaining pre-reqs.

To answer your first question, I didn't get a bachelor's. I focused on finishing my pre-req courses first, took my PCATs, and then applied. But if you think you're lacking in your scores (for example), try to make it up by being involved in some extra-curricular activities. It shows that you're a well rounded person :) Being a part of the executive board of a club shows excellent leadership skills as well!

Anyways, best of luck to you!

Last edited:
As a recent graduate of UM and just rediscovered my SDN account, let me know if anyone has any questions!

has anyone gone into baltimore yet? i've been on the waitlist for a while :(

As a recent graduate of UM and just rediscovered my SDN account, let me know if anyone has any questions!
haha i did too :)

im also a recent graduate, 2013. i went to shady grove, but spent a lot of time in bmore and moved there 4th year for rotations. i was pretty active in a bunch of organizations, so i think im pretty knowledgeable about both campuses :)

Hey guys,

I am applying this year to Maryland. So far it's my first choice school before UF (where I currently go now).

Do I have a good shot at getting in? I'm a sophomore.

GPA: 4.0 science GPA (will have all prereqs done by summer, orgo and physics this fall/spring)
3.85 overall

Three officer positions in pharm organizations, volunteer at hospital, shadowed an ER pharmacist, worked as a lifeguard, presentation director at church, club swim team. Going on a medical mission trip this winter.

My PharmCAS is already mailed and everything, just waiting to take the PCAT in September. Predicting 80%+ range :xf:

Hoping for an interview... can anyone give me any insight/advice? Thanks!

Hey guys,

I am applying this year to Maryland. So far it's my first choice school before UF (where I currently go now).

Do I have a good shot at getting in? I'm a sophomore.

GPA: 4.0 science GPA (will have all prereqs done by summer, orgo and physics this fall/spring)
3.85 overall

Three officer positions in pharm organizations, volunteer at hospital, shadowed an ER pharmacist, worked as a lifeguard, presentation director at church, club swim team. Going on a medical mission trip this winter.

My PharmCAS is already mailed and everything, just waiting to take the PCAT in September. Predicting 80%+ range :xf:

Hoping for an interview... can anyone give me any insight/advice? Thanks!

Your good to go kid... as long as u do well on the pcat the only thing left before u get accepted is to be confident during ur interview. Good luck to ya

Is it ok if if I have recommendations from two Pharmacists and two from Faculty/work supervisors? Thanks for the response! I don't think a Fall 2014 Application thread has been started yet.

Is it ok if if I have recommendations from two Pharmacists and two from Faculty/work supervisors? Thanks for the response! I don't think a Fall 2014 Application thread has been started yet.

You probably need at least one from professor. Email them to double check.

Hey!!! Me too! I'm also applying this year as a sophomore but you seem to be a bit ahead of me....
Here are my stats: 4.0, will have all the prerequisites done by summer, taking the PCAT in September (not expecting to get above 80%), currently work as a lifeguard instructor, shadowed in a private pharmacy for the past year, 3 recommendations from science professors and 1 from a pharmacist, and still didn't submit PharmCAS.
Any advice? Anyone?

Last edited: