University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have information on this program as well? Been curious and it conflicts with another date so trying to decide which one to keep.

Hi there, I'm one of the 2nd year residents and I'm in the process of updating the residency website. Right now it has some really old information (we haven't been going to the Wilmington, Delaware VA for a while -- the Baltimore VA is busy enough!).

Our Dept webpage is up to date: http://medschool.umaryland.edu/ophthalmology/
We have a new chairman: http://somvweb.som.umaryland.edu/absolutenm/templates/?z=0&a=2233
And our faculty list is mostly up to date but not all faculty profiles are complete: http://medschool.umaryland.edu/FACULTYRESEARCHPROFILE/DeptFacultyProfiles.aspx?deptid=67

When our residency website is up and running (maybe in a week?) I'll post the link.

Good luck on the interview trail!

11/3/13 Update: Here's the updated residency website link: http://umm.edu/programs/eye-care/for-health-professionals

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm the chief resident this year. I can't wait to meet all you guys who are making the trip to Baltimore to visit us.

The program is great and I love it. Our new chairman, Dr. Bennie Jeng, is super supportive. A bunch more faculty were hired over the past year. The curriculum has been revamped and surgery is starting even earlier now (oculoplastics 1st year, cataract surgery 2nd year). We started rotating at Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC) and they have great facilities, a new Eyesi, and awesome faculty too. We had great fellowship matches last year (and hopefully will this year as well :p). Overall it's a nice program with friendly people and you'll get trained very well if you come here.

I was curious to see what this institution was going to be like. On paper, it sounded like really great training but few faculty or residents I talked to about it could tell me much of anything at all except for recalling the dark period a number of years ago when the chair and many faculty left and the interim chair was an ENT doc. There was also some controversial comments about the program in one of the yearly interview date threads (I think) left by someone who may or may not have had an axe to grind. In any case, below are my mostly subjective thoughts (w/some facts thrown in) of interview day and the vibe I got from the program.

My first impression upon arriving to interview day was somewhat negative. Mostly because the residents didn't seem to be particularly interactive with applicants. They were willing to talk to you if you approached them, but did not actively solicit your company or conversation it seemed to me. There was a point after the interviews where all the applicants and residents were in the conference room together and the residents sat amongst themselves chatting about random personal stuff rather than engage with applicants. I thought this was pretty unfortunate and it left a bad impression on me, but I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt and thought that maybe they were just burnt out from interview sessions (this was the last slot I believe). The residents who gave the tour were much more present and I felt a little better after spending some time with them. The meet and greet after interview day was infinitely better. In this setting, the residents seemed much more relaxed and ready to chat with applicants than they did over at their medical offices.

In any case, everyone I talked to was somewhat enthusiastic about the program, especially about Dr. Jeng, their (sort of) new chair. I did not like that neither the chair nor the PD spent time giving any sort of presentation about the program to the applicants. This was left entirely up to the chief resident who read off a powerpoint. At many of the other programs I interviewed, the PD, chair or both would speak anywhere from 10-30 minutes each about their programs. To me, this left an impression that they cared more (in general) about the program and their recruitment. It almost felt like lack of effort when they didn't. Whether or not that's true is besides the point. That's just the vibe it gave me, personally.

Pros:
- Nice assortment of practice environments! --> GBMC, U of M midtown campus, VA, UofM, with resident run clinic at midtown campus
- shock trauma
- seems like there was some reasonable research opportunities if desired.
- dedicated consult rotation first year.
- free loupes as gift for residents.
- active recruitment of new faculty.
- Chair rounds with dr. Jeng.
- Baltimore (I like it)... others will not.
- Pretty good fellowship matches.
- Busy, busy busy, (perhaps a con for some)

Cons:
- numbers weren't particularly impressive, but not bad either. Middling.
- interviews were a little less fun/engaging than some others I attended. Interview day was a little ho-hum in general. Did not feel like it was a recruitment event. (see comments above).
- still plagued by memories of past department disarray (i.e. in the larger academic ophthalmology community), despite what seems to be a solid and stable situation now.

Overall, I was very into this program in theory, but my gut feeling was that something was off about it. Despite that, I think that it likely offers fantastic training and I would have been glad to have matched there despite my qualms about interview day. They ended up in the top 1/2 of my rank list ultimately based on my strong conviction that the training was top notch, Dr. Jeng was a great chair, and the resident's were friendly and seemed very satisfied with their program. Location was a plus for me, others will not like Baltimore.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Maryland is now moving up in the ranks, thanks to Dr. Jeng. There is a huge and continued influx of new faculty and this program has made a 180 in the last 6 years. The faculty have doubled in number and the clinical sites have also doubled in number with huge expansion throughout the state. Residents mainly stick to the downtown locations where the volume and pathology are unparalleled.

Residents get amazing general training and get around 180-220 cataracts, and complete around 30-50 in their second year of training. The residents only count start to finish cataracts which is much stricter criterion for a primary case than most other programs.

Residents work in an extremely busy VA hospital which is ATTACHED to the main hospital. No traveling required. The veterans are amazing and this is where the majority of the surgical volume for primary cases is completed.

Residents get great exposure to pediatrics rotating downtown and at the GBMC location (more private practice feel). They work with 2 major NICU's at Maryland and GBMC for ROP screening.

For retina, there is a huge amount of pathology in the Baltimore area and thus the retina exposure is more than you could hope for! Residents work with Maryland faculty and also with Retina Associates in Towson with Dr. John Thompson, Dr. David Baranano, and Dr. Ray Sjaarda who are three top retina doctors two of which are known nationally and branched off from Wilmer to start their own practice.

For plastics the residents get an overwhelming amount of exposure working in a higher than level 1 trauma center and the nationally recognized R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center. This center sees more than 8000 traumas a year and gets transfers from the entire state as well as surrounding states. First years become comfortable with complex lacerations within weeks of starting. Dr. Grumbine, the main oculoplastics attending was trained at Emory and UCSF and partakes in complex combined large cases with ENT, NSG, plastics etc.

Residents get great exposure to cornea training with Dr. Jeng, Dr. Munir, Dr. Pillar, and Dr. Hemady. There is a high volume of specialty cornea patients as well as surgical volume with DSEK/DMEKs/DALK/PKP/Kpro etc. Residents also get exposure to complex cataracts and get to implant pretty much an unlimited number of "premium lenses" on appropriate candidates. Also get exposure to refractive surgery and option for certification.

Baltimore has TONS of glaucoma and thus there are now going to be 5 glaucoma faculty (increasing from 4). They are amazing teachers and you get tons of exposure to lasers/MIGS/Tubes/Trabs. Residents get to perform primary cases mostly during senior year.

Residents are pretty busy most of the time during their training but the warm and family like environment offered at Maryland really makes the work easier and actually enjoyable. The residents are really close and very close with attendings.

The department has also started to take a strong stance in research. Several faculty have grants and residents are required to participate in research however it does not have to be basic science (option is there for those who do want it) and thus residents can find projects they are interested in and have time for without difficulty.