University of Miami, Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FAU students get free white lab coats???

Why?

It seems the Miami kids don't get much of a financial break. Rent is higher. Wellness fee mandatory. Gotta buy lab coat.

Is there more?

Members don't see this ad.

Parking is DEFINITELY a big difference. Bigger than lab coats.

But parking is something one cannot help. That cost is dependent on location, and availability of parking. Miami is an expensive city, and crowded. The number of parking spaces at the Miami med campus is limited. And not only do medical students have to wait in line for a space.

Parking in FAU is cheaper, because there is more availability of spaces, and their medical campus is not a highly urban one. So less crowding, less demand for parking, etc.

But the cost for lab coats is not dependent upon location though. I understand some of the reasons why an FAU campus was opened in the first place, but they shouldn't just hand out free bees to people of one campus. There seems to me to be no rationale for it.

Wee Free Woman said:
But the cost for lab coats is not dependent upon location though. I understand some of the reasons why an FAU campus was opened in the first place, but they shouldn't just hand out free bees to people of one campus. There seems to me to be no rationale for it.

The hospitals bought the lab coats, not the school. Also, the coats have the hospital name embroidered on them (e.g., Boca Raton Community Hospital), meaning that FAU students will have to buy new coats when they move to Miami.

You picked your campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so then the labcoats' cost is also a location issue. Thanks deuist.

Hey everyone.

I introduced myself earlier as being accepted into the 7 yr MSP for the entering medical class of 2007. I am entering my last yr of undergrad at UM and decided to change my major to a BA in Psychology. To this point I have only taken my pre med pre reqs (orgo, chem, bio, phys) and will take Biochemistry and Psychobio (which has neuroanatomy) and one more course. What should this course be? Right now I am split b/w Microbio and Physiology.
Is this a bad move btw?

Thanks for your help.

:)

BrianUM said:
Hey everyone.

I introduced myself earlier as being accepted into the 7 yr MSP for the entering medical class of 2007. I am entering my last yr of undergrad at UM and decided to change my major to a BA in Psychology. To this point I have only taken my pre med pre reqs (orgo, chem, bio, phys) and will take Biochemistry and Psychobio (which has neuroanatomy) and one more course. What should this course be? Right now I am split b/w Microbio and Physiology.
Is this a bad move btw?

Thanks for your help.

:)

Congrats on the acceptance.

Either one of those courses will be fine for medical school. Your decision to switch majors is fine, too, so long as it does not violate the acceptance rules. If you want to study psych, that's great. Parts of the neuro module will be easier. As far as the other class you need to take, I won't ever discourage someone from taking a class. However, I will say that you will learn that material in med school. If I were in a similar situation, I would take something not medically related that interested me. Also, how's your Spanish?

Thanks a lot. :thumbup:

I speak Spanish fluently as my mom is of Peruvian descent. Hopefully this will come in handy down the road

Hey everyone-

This may be really obvious, but I was looking on the incoming freshmen website, under preparation for orientation, that they will give us a PPD test at orientation. I assumed before that we don't need to get a test for our student health form before then, but now I'm wondering if I missed something- I was just wondering if anyone knew around here what the deal is with that.

Thanks

UFtoMiami2010 said:
Hey everyone-

This may be really obvious, but I was looking on the incoming freshmen website, under preparation for orientation, that they will give us a PPD test at orientation. I assumed before that we don't need to get a test for our student health form before then, but now I'm wondering if I missed something- I was just wondering if anyone knew around here what the deal is with that.

Thanks
you dont need to get your own PPD beforehand, you will get it during orientation. :)

Arsenic said:
you dont need to get your own PPD beforehand, you will get it during orientation. :)

Hey thanks,
just making sure is in order! I'm ready to start already...

What if you already got one done? The health forms had a section on a PPD test.

Members don't see this ad :)
UFtoMiami2010 said:
Hey thanks,
just making sure is in order! I'm ready to start already...
i remember how excited I was at this time the summer I started! its gonna be great, lots of hard work but still great. :cool:

are you coming to the miami campus or FAU?

Arsenic said:
i remember how excited I was at this time the summer I started! its gonna be great, lots of hard work but still great. :cool:

are you coming to the miami campus or FAU?
Thanks, Arsenic...that's great to hear! I keep on wondering if it's still going to "be great" in 2 months...but your post is encouraging!

McMD said:
Thanks, Arsenic...that's great to hear! I keep on wondering if it's still going to "be great" in 2 months...but your post is encouraging!

In 2 months? By then you'll be done with MBL and life will indeed be great. But 5 weeks? Well, you're on your on for the first month.

When are we getting a booklist, or is there already one posted up that I'm not aware of?

How do you download powerpoints? Do all the professors do powerpoints (I know many do, but do all?)

What time will we be done with orientation on Thursday and Friday?

Wee Free Woman said:
When are we getting a booklist, or is there already one posted up that I'm not aware of?

How do you download powerpoints? Do all the professors do powerpoints (I know many do, but do all?)

What time will we be done with orientation on Thursday and Friday?

And to add to these questions:
1) When will we finish (approx.) on Saturday?
2) Should we bring anything besides paper and a pen to Thursday's orientation session?

The booklist is given out during orientation. You'll get print outs of the PowerPoints in your mailbox or at the beginning of lecture. Thursday and Friday's orientation last all day (i.e., 4pm or so, if I can remember correctly from last year). Saturday finishes around 2pm. Bring your immunization records and the health form to Thursday's orientation (downloadable off of the orientation website).

Now that we are fully immersed in this whole med school thing (including studying like crazy for microbio) I was just wondering...
Have you figured out who in the class is which SDNer?
I know one person but that was just random.

Any interviewees from seasons past or early this year have experience staying in the Days Inn by the Expressway off of 14th at Miami Miller SOM at Miami? They offer a good rate ($62 for two double beds) and are located ridiculously close to the interview site. Is it worth the potential noise of sirens and road noise? I requested a room on the side away from the interstate as Miami SOM recommended. Just curious as to what to expect.

Any interviewees from seasons past or early this year have experience staying in the Days Inn by the Expressway off of 14th at Miami Miller SOM at Miami? They offer a good rate ($62 for two double beds) and are located ridiculously close to the interview site. Is it worth the potential noise of sirens and road noise? I requested a room on the side away from the interstate as Miami SOM recommended. Just curious as to what to expect.

do it, its one night and within walking distance of the interview at Rosenstiel. The convenience of not having to stress about driving to the interview and hitting traffic etc far outweighs a little noise that night. interestingly though no one i've ever given tours to that stayed at the days inn has ever said they couldnt sleep the night before or anything so dont worry.

good luck!!!!!!! :luck:

I just got accepted to UMMSM@FAU yesterday! I'm very excited cuz it's my first choice. :D :D :D Go Canes!

PS Disregard my post if you're sick of anal neurotic pre-meds (I know I am)

Hey people,

Anyone know what the movement is like on the waitlist at UM - main campus?! I just got accepted to UM@FAU and waitlisted at UM - main campus. I'm probably going to meet with Dr. H after xmas and I hope to convey my sincere interest in the main campus. It's my first choice.

Any thoughts...advice...knowledge of waitlist movement?