University of Miami, Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I'm attending the FAU campus this fall. I have been reading all of the posts and am now currently up to date. The info has been great. I'm on the list to switch campuses, but am withholding little hope as the date for permanent campus assignments rapidly approaches. However, reading all of your posts about FAU has made me feel significantly better about attending school there. I am currently in search of a roommate to help share living expenses and was wondering if anyone here was in the same boat. I know there is the Yahoo group for this, but there are not many FAUers represented there. Here is the rather intense roommate add I have been running on other sites (I really am more fun than this makes me sound. I promise.):

I am beginning medical school at FAU and need a roommate to help lower living expenses. I grew up in Jacksonville, Fl, attended Davidson College in North Carolina and have just spent a year enjoying the skiing and mountain life of Sun Valley, Idaho. I am easy going, levelheaded, mature, undramatic and have a good sense of humor. I am of average neatness (or messiness) depending on your perspective, but will be respectful of your space, your time, your stuff and you. My main focus this year will be school and academic performance. I am looking for a like-minded graduate student, guy or girl, to share a quiet study-friendly environment close to FAU. I would like to move in late July, but I will be in Italy from the 1st to the 19th. I will, however, be in constant email contact.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Zr2Med, congrats on your UM acceptance! I'm not looking for a roommate, and will be attending the Miami campus...but where in Jax are you from? (what h.s., etc?)

OK... random question.

I'm going to be moving from San Francisco and am having trouble finding some cheap car insurance in Miami. Any of you Floridians have any recommendations on a cheap company? It seems like the cheapest ones are around the $2000-$2400/yr range for basic coverage!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
padresp said:
OK... random question.

I'm going to be moving from San Francisco and am having trouble finding some cheap car insurance in Miami. Any of you Floridians have any recommendations on a cheap company? It seems like the cheapest ones are around the $2000-$2400/yr range for basic coverage!

Thanks!

Your Prices Sound about right......My insurance is going to jump up about $50 a month to around $200 when I move to miami...And Im moving within the state. I think it is just an expensive market.

I heard it's the most expensive car insurance city in the country. It's also #1 for road rage!!

McMD said:
I heard it's the most expensive car insurance city in the country. It's also #1 for road rage!!

Sweet! I can't wait to ride my bike... ;)

Did everyone else receive the orientation email? If so, what kinds of things are you guys coming up with for your 5 interesting facts :p
This might sound stupid but I am clueless so far...I guess I am not very interesting ;)
I am thinking one of my facts will be "My SDN alter ego is Dwyane Wade". :D

DwyaneWade said:
Did everyone else receive the orientation email? If so, what kinds of things are you guys coming up with for your 5 interesting facts :p
This might sound stupid but I am clueless so far...I guess I am not very interesting ;)
I am thinking one of my facts will be "My SDN alter ego is Dwyane Wade". :D
hahaha, those will be important for the games day you'll have the weekend of orientation. you'll basically be given a list of facts and will have to go around talking to people and asking them stuff like "have you ever been a pianist in NYC?", etc... Its a way to get you guys to mingle and make friends. dont stress it, you're dwaynewade! ;)

the funniest one i remember from last year when i was one of the 2nd year student representatives was someone who wrote, "my friends call me squid face." people just kept walking around the field calling out "squid face!" :laugh:

McMD said:
Hey Zr2Med, congrats on your UM acceptance! I'm not looking for a roommate, and will be attending the Miami campus...but where in Jax are you from? (what h.s., etc?)

I always lived in the Mandrin and Southside areas growing up. I started going to Bolles from 5th grade to H.S.. Growing up I had friends living in all parts of town so I spent my time dispersed accordingly. Were you also a fellow citizen of the First Coast?

Hey guys.

Congrats to everyone that got in! I am a sophomore at UM, and I recently got into the Medical Scholars Program (the 7 year BS/MD) for the entering class of 2007. Right now I have only taken my pre-med pre-reqs but have yet to take anything else (biochem, cell molec, genetics, calc, etc). Do you guys know what courses I should take to avoid getting lost at UM med school and maybe even get a head start...some ppl have suggested the following:

Biochem
human physiology
neurobio
microbio and immunology

Thanks!

ZR2Med....I've lived (and still live) at the beaches all my life (moved away for undergrad though).

BrianUM said:
Do you guys know what courses I should take to avoid getting lost at UM med school and maybe even get a head start...

The courses that you listed might help you for the first semester, but you will certainly not be ahead of the game. Many of the courses you listed teach general principles for biologists. Med school classes teach very detailed information about human pathology and then skip all of the rest of the material. You will still have to struggle like everyone else, no matter what you're background is. While you should take biochem and anything else that interests you, I would suggest that you get some experience instead.

Out of all of extracurriculars I've been involved with during the six years leading up to med school, I found that volunteering at the Crisis Center better prepared me than any class I ever took as a student. Knowing physiology is nice, but you'll get that information once you arrive here. Knowing how to talk to a patient is better---because you certainly won't learn that while you're here.

So what technical gadgets are you guys buying this summer? I've been thinking about the utility of a tablet PC, but I just don't know how useful it will be.

Yeah I don't know about this whole 5 interesting facts deal. Its so sad that I have to think hard on this one. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
BrianUM said:
Hey guys.

Congrats to everyone that got in! I am a sophomore at UM, and I recently got into the Medical Scholars Program (the 7 year BS/MD) for the entering class of 2007. Right now I have only taken my pre-med pre-reqs but have yet to take anything else (biochem, cell molec, genetics, calc, etc). Do you guys know what courses I should take to avoid getting lost at UM med school and maybe even get a head start...some ppl have suggested the following:

Biochem
human physiology
neurobio
microbio and immunology

Thanks!

Hey Brian
Congratulations on getting into 7-year (I actually ahve a couple of friends in your batch). I just finished at UM this year and am going to the med school next year.
I took biochem with the ahmad, huijing, myers troika. I think it is worth it....it really isn't that hard a class, plus the material you learn will be very useful for the biology section of the MCAT (if you are planning to try to earn a merit scholarship). I don't know how many passages I understood better because of that class.
Physiology with Farmer I took...again it was a very interesting class, very comprehensive and the material it covers is on the MCAT...it moves very fast however and might not be worth your time if wish to pursue other interests in your final year.
Finally, I took neuro with lu. Great class...great teacher and text. It is difficult (I worked my tail off in the class) but the tests are very straightforward...plus Neuro is fascinating IMO. If you have even the slightest interest in neuro take the class...it is outstanding.

Cheers!
Dwade

Wee Free Woman said:
So what technical gadgets are you guys buying this summer? I've been thinking about the utility of a tablet PC, but I just don't know how useful it will be.

Yeah I don't know about this whole 5 interesting facts deal. Its so sad that I have to think hard on this one. :rolleyes:
seriously, dont stress it. just think of 5 fun things that some of your class mates are going to learn about you on games day. see you guys next month! :D

Has anybody had any luck in transferring campuses recently?

Any pools near campus where a guy could swim some laps? It looked like the new wellness center has a pool, but it's too small for laps :(.

padresp said:
Any pools near campus where a guy could swim some laps? It looked like the new wellness center has a pool, but it's too small for laps :(.

you would think that with the mandatory fees they charge for the wellness center that it would be top notch and have a big enough pool...

btw ive heard from 2 diff friends that miami has a reputation for having easier exams...i have no idea how they would know that and doubt its true but was wondering if anyone else has heard that...

jon0013 said:
you would think that with the mandatory fees they charge for the wellness center that it would be top notch and have a big enough pool...

btw ive heard from 2 diff friends that miami has a reputation for having easier exams...i have no idea how they would know that and doubt its true but was wondering if anyone else has heard that...

There is 25-yard (I think) pool at the undergraduate campus that you are allowed to use as a UM student. The FAU students have access to a 25-meter by 50-yard pool on campus.

As far as tests: I don't know how your friends arrived at these conclusions. No one has access to our exams---not even our own students. I also don't think that a UM student would have grounds to say that our exams are easier. They haven't taken tests at other schools, have they? I will say that a common frustration for us is that our profs write their own exams as opposed to using the NBME-provided questions. Given that so many questions get thrown out after each test, I doubt that we have a proper peer-reviewed system in place to ensure that we are adequately preparing students for the USMLE. However, you will hear many times while you're here, "We don't teach for the boards!" My response: now you know why UM didn't catch up to the Step 1 national average until last year.

jon0013 said:
you mean compared to FAU? if thats what you mean than thats not true, both groups take the exact same exams. one group just takes them at Miami and the other takes them at FAU.

Arsenic said:
you mean compared to FAU? if thats what you mean than thats not true, both groups take the exact same exams. one group just takes them at Miami and the other takes them at FAU.

nah a buddy of mine at wash u and another one at tufts both said the same thing...as far as the USMLE, i've heard that many schools will use old questions on tests during their second year...if miami doesnt teach for the boards do they provide access to the sample test that is a good predictor of the real deal?

padresp said:

Are you a swimmer? The pool at UM- Coral Gables is really good, but a drive. I've pretty much given up swimming (due to sucking, horribly) but still enjoy the occasional reminder that I'm old and really bad at it.

unfrozencaveman said:
Are you a swimmer? The pool at UM- Coral Gables is really good, but a drive. I've pretty much given up swimming (due to sucking, horribly) but still enjoy the occasional reminder that I'm old and really bad at it.

And just where have you been? I went to the Florida interviews thread looking for entertainment and you and the rest of the Red Tide group have disappeared.

jon0013 said:
nah a buddy of mine at wash u and another one at tufts both said the same thing...as far as the USMLE, i've heard that many schools will use old questions on tests during their second year...if miami doesnt teach for the boards do they provide access to the sample test that is a good predictor of the real deal?

yeah, we take 3 official practice tests from the NBME that are only offered to med schools. 1 in the fall of the first problem based learning (PBL) module, 1 at the beginning of the spring PBL module and one after spring PBL is over at the end of 2nd year. there are 4 weeks of PBL in the fall and 5 in the spring. after PBL 2 you are done with 2nd year and have up to 6 weeks on your own to study for step 1 before starting 3rd year. before that you will have spent the last 5 weeks of 2nd year in PBL 2 so when you think about it there is A LOT of time to study for step 1. its up to you to make the most of it though but i think its awesome that we're done with most of the curriculum by mid march and just spend the rest of the time in PBL before being released. :)

unfrozencaveman said:

I do a fair bit of swimming but wouldn't call myself a "swimmer." That's too bad that there aren't any close-by pools! I did a search and found a City pool called Jose Marti at 351 SW 4th Street - know anything about that one? I know there's a masters class there on Tuesdays.

Arsenic said:
yeah, we take 3 official practice tests from the NBME that are only offered to med schools. 1 in the fall of the first problem based learning (PBL) module, 1 at the beginning of the spring PBL module and one after spring PBL is over at the end of 2nd year. there are 4 weeks of PBL in the fall and 5 in the spring. after PBL 2 you are done with 2nd year and have up to 6 weeks on your own to study for step 1 before starting 3rd year. before that you will have spent the last 5 weeks of 2nd year in PBL 2 so when you think about it there is A LOT of time to study for step 1. its up to you to make the most of it though but i think its awesome that we're done with most of the curriculum by mid march and just spend the rest of the time in PBL before being released. :)

what do you do in PBL after mid march? is it just a real laidback module because thye know students will be focused on boards?

jon0013 said:
what do you do in PBL after mid march? is it just a real laidback module because thye know students will be focused on boards?

you meet in your PBL group 3 times a week and go over cases as if you were a 3rd year student. at the end of the case discussion you pick a topic from the case that you want to know more about and then you prepare a powerpoint presentation on that topic to present to your group at the next meeting. its nice in that you get really good with powerpoint and making those presentations is very close to what 3rd year will be like when the attending asks you to look up a topic and present it the next day.

the only drawback is that it isnt just PBL during those modules, you still have the longitudinal themes going on and those take up some time. basically, lectures and small groups on the "softer side" of medicine like "how to deal with patients with *fill in the blank* " ie, abuse.

it is a laid back module though, there are no exams during PBL that count towards grades. its totally pass/fail, you just need to show up to all the meetings and make your presentations to pass. its definitely a nice way to end 2nd year.

Is the gym at the medical campus (in the new building) ready to go yet? They keep saying they're going to open it, but then they don't.

padresp said:
It looks like it is indeed... http://wellness.med.miami.edu/

Did anyone else watch the virtual tour? The first minute and a half were dedicated to the lobby. The lobby! I was thinking, that's what costs $400 a year in tuition? And, if you don't have a medical center parking pass and go to the gym during the right hours, you'll also have to pay parking fees, too. No thanks.

I haven't seen it from the inside, but it seems like a pretty decent gym. 400 dollars a year for membership is VERY high, especially considering that it doesn't include ALL the physical fitness classes. The only problem is that there aren't many other convenient options.

As for parking, if you have a parking spot on campus, you don't need to worry about parking fees. And if you're a commuter, chances are you'll have a parking pass at some point.

Don't the FAU students have their own gym facilities at FAU?

Wee Free Woman said:
I haven't seen it from the inside, but it seems like a pretty decent gym. 400 dollars a year for membership is VERY high, especially considering that it doesn't include ALL the physical fitness classes. The only problem is that there aren't many other convenient options.

As for parking, if you have a parking spot on campus, you don't need to worry about parking fees. And if you're a commuter, chances are you'll have a parking pass at some point.

how much does the parking permit at the garage cost per month?

deuist said:
Did anyone else watch the virtual tour? The first minute and a half were dedicated to the lobby. The lobby! I was thinking, that's what costs $400 a year in tuition? And, if you don't have a medical center parking pass and go to the gym during the right hours, you'll also have to pay parking fees, too. No thanks.
its not optional though, they are going to charge your acct the health center fees regardless of whether you want them to or not.

jon0013 said:
how much does the parking permit at the garage cost per month?
$58.85/month is the current rate at the Jackson garages. when we had 3rd year orientation last month the deans told us the new garage would have a similar rate when it opens. the parking is charged in 3 month intervals right now so you get a bill every 3 months throughout the year for $176.55.

You don't have to pay the wellness center fee if you attend classes at FAU. I could have sworn I saw a different financial breakdown for the FAU students on the freshman information website.

There is an FAU and UM financial breakdown on the FinAid website-it is slightly different, with FAU being slightly less expensive.

deuist said:
And just where have you been? I went to the Florida interviews thread looking for entertainment and you and the rest of the Red Tide group have disappeared.

I know. I tried briefly spying on the NEW florida kids. What can I say. I've seen better.
I quit my job, so now I have something to do all day (sleep). I just sent you an email too. I think that's enough work for today.

unfrozencaveman said:
I know. I tried briefly spying on the NEW florida kids. What can I say. I've seen better.
I quit my job, so now I have something to do all day (sleep). I just sent you an email too. I think that's enough work for today.
I agree about the new FL kids...one of their posts said they were going to try to keep the new thread up to live up to the old one...unlikely....they will never have discussions off-topic like we did!

Folks on this thread seem to be very in the know....

I'm thinking of applying to UM now. Want to go to med school in a place with ties to Spanish speaking community, I'm a diver, my wife's an ESL teacher, etc. Miami's a good choice.

But the web site for the school is pretty bad and I'm finding it hard to read up much on what makes U of Miami a great school. What is special about it? The website seems to just be a link for admissions, but not much about what makes U of Miami tick.

Seems like a good school for me, but I'd love to learn more about it. Can anyone chime in why Miami is good? For someone interested in primary care for the underserved, is there anything particularly strong here?

Thanks much...

I think the school is clinically very strong. Working with underserved populations? You need to come out to Jackson hospitals someday. A great majority of the patients (at least it seems that way) are people living in poverty or close to it.

The school has a number of international and local projects that work with the underserved population. You can also work in research in epidemiology with underserved populations as well.

Notdeadyet...I just sent you a PM.

Wee Free Woman said:

Yes. The facilities are nice enough. We have all of the standard weight machines, a large swimming pool, and tons of intramural sports for students to get involved with.

Arsenic said:
its not optional though, they are going to charge your acct the health center fees regardless of whether you want them to or not.

FAU students were not charged the wellness fee last year. I don't know what the policy is this year.

notdeadyet said:
Seems like a good school for me, but I'd love to learn more about it. Can anyone chime in why Miami is good? For someone interested in primary care for the underserved, is there anything particularly strong here?

You are correct. The website is not helpful, especially since parts of the admissions page have not been updated in over 4 years. The good news is that the medical education website (for current students) is much better. What makes Miami so great is Jackson hospital. You'll see lots of pathology, tons of underserved patients, and you'll get to practice Spanish and Creole. Miami students are also very generous with their spare time. We held five health fairs this year, ran a weekly free clinic, and travelled to India, Nicaragua, Haiti, and the Dominican Republic for the Winter and Spring breaks. Also, look at our match list. We are represented in every specialty that you can think of---from the very competitive and research-oriented, to primary care so that people can pursue dreams similar to yours. When I was in Nicaragua, I met a UM alum who moved to the country to start a clinic for the underserved.

what books are needed for block 1? is it the lippincott biochem review as well as the genetics in medicine book by thompson and thompson?

also what are "self-assessments"?

and finally what date is the white coat ceremony?

deuist said:
Miami students are also very generous with their spare time. We held five health fairs this year, ran a weekly free clinic, and travelled to India, Nicaragua, Haiti, and the Dominican Republic for the Winter and Spring breaks. Also, look at our match list. We are represented in every specialty that you can think of---from the very competitive and research-oriented, to primary care so that people can pursue dreams similar to yours. When I was in Nicaragua, I met a UM alum who moved to the country to start a clinic for the underserved.

Hey-
So as a first year, how useful are you on these trips and clinics? They're worth (for the people you're helping AND you) it to go after just one semester?

Some people seem to be confused about this ... so let me clarify:

UM has NO white coat ceremony!

Yes - your heard right; please regain your composure ;)

You're expected to purchase your own coat, but unlike a lot of other schools, you get to wear a normal long one, not the dinky short ones that point out you're ONLY a student.

But --> UM DOES have a Pinning Ceremony though :rolleyes: , and that usually occurs in the Spring of the 1st year after getting the Fall Modules out of the way. It's not wrapped in the same fashion as other school's White Coat Ceremonies though, so don't expect all the ritz and gala. They put a special coat-of-arms pin with the medical caduceus on the lapel of the white coat.

Then you stand and let your family take a bazillion pictures of you. End of story. LoL. :laugh:

Will we be buying our white coats during the fall semester or not until the "pinning ceremony?"....just wondering.

McMD said:
Will we be buying our white coats during the fall semester or not until the "pinning ceremony?"....just wondering.
the pinning ceremony isnt until the spring but you will use your white coat much earlier than that. your first inpatient interview practice at JMH will take place in september and your first preceptop session is in october. miami uses the long white coat by the way, we dont use the short jacket like coat that most medical schools use. :cool:

jon0013 said:
what books are needed for block 1? is it the lippincott biochem review as well as the genetics in medicine book by thompson and thompson?

and finally what date is the white coat ceremony?

You don't need any books for MBL. The notes are good enough. If you want Lippincott's for a review, feel free to get it. Stay away from the genetics, embryology, and histology books. They either weren't helpful or weren't used enough to justify the costs. For cellular biology you'll be given a notes packet.

I don't know what self-assesments you are talking about. Many of the doctoring classes require that you write about your performance and---if you could re-do the assignment---if you would do anything differently. The grade on these self-assesments is based on participation.

Miami does not have a white coat ceremony. FAU has one during the first block (I don't know the exact date). The white coat ceremony was a bit of a bust because we didn't have family there; we've asked the administration to change that policy for this year's M1 class. All Miami students are required to go to the pinning ceremony during the spring semester---in February if I remember correctly. You'll get the final date during the fall semester.

unfrozencaveman said:
So as a first year, how useful are you on these trips and clinics? They're worth (for the people you're helping AND you) it to go after just one semester?

The trip to Nicaragua was great. We got to do a lot for the physical exam, give meds, even perform minor procedures. I held a woman's head still while a dermatologist removed an angioma without pain killers! The health fairs are hit or miss. I've found that knowing Spanish or Creole makes some stations at the health fairs run smoother. Also, your skills should dictate which station you work at (e.g., stick to vitals and finger sticks and you'll never be bored). I worked derm without knowing Spanish or derm and ended up being dead weight to the group.

McMD said:
Will we be buying our white coats during the fall semester or not until the "pinning ceremony?"....just wonderi

You will need to purchase your white coat within a few weeks of starting the fall semester. You will wear it everytime you see patients. Then the pinning ceremony occurs during the Spring. For the past two years, FAU students got their white coats for free. If you go to FAU, you might want to hold off on buying until you find out if the same thing will happen this year.

jon0013 said:

from what i remember, the self assessments in the MBL module are just a bunch of questions you answer beforehand and then go over as a class. its not a test or a quiz, dont worry. MBL is just about the only module that has them.