University of Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aria111

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For students attending U of Miami, why did you choose Miami? Are you happy there? What are some of the pros and cons of the school, rotations, attitudes, etc...
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

ariaa, did you already get accepted at Miami ?.. is so then can you please tell me your mcat and/or gpa... thanks.. korndawg.

I attend Miami and I think it's a good program overall. Then again, I don't have a lot of experience to compare it to. I'll give you a few of the negatives.
1. Expense - Both tuition and living expenses are much higher than a state school of comparable quality.
2. Culture shock - Be prepared to hear more Spanish than English in the hospital and in the community. You really feel like an outsider if you don't speak Spanish.
3. Poor guidance - Be prepared for little to no guidance regarding boards, class scheduling, career advising, etc. Any help you get will be from upper classmen. If you are planning on going into a competitive specialty you'll need to be preparing throughout your med school career and at Miami you are pretty much on your own.

You may find that these negatives are true of other programs. Plusses of Miami include great climate and good social atmosphere. There isn't a really competitive attitude among students. Also, Miami provides a good opportunity to experience world class programs in trauma, ophthalmology, neurosurgery, and pediatrics. You could get some great experience and research in those areas but again, you would have to seek it out yourself.

If you have any more specific questions, please repost.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a link to the 2001 University of Miami match list?? Thanks.

-Marmot-

hey everyone-

- thanks for replying, gatormed. You mentioned that UMiami doesn't provide much guidance to its med students, so i'm just wondering what the professors are like? Are the approachable and friendly? Do they teach well and are they involved with the students? Also, someone else posted something about Miami having strange grading policies, do you know anything about that?
Thanks for your help!

-Marmot...sorry, no idea where to find the matchlist, but wondering if you know anything about Miami's board scores?
Thanks!

Marmot, I pm'ed you.

I don't know about the odd grading policy. As far as I know, it's pretty streight foreward. They have made a lot of curriculum changes in the past couple of years since I started.

The professors are generally very friendly and approachable. One problem during the first two years is that you often have lab researchers teaching the courses. The courses can be very dry and the professors tend to dwell on their own pet areas of research. This may be a common problem at other schools. I don't know.