University of Minnesota C/0 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! I'm sorry to bother you all, but could you also give me thoughts on my chances (if there are any)? I will receive a BS in Biology from the University of Wisconsin in May and here are my stats:

Cumulative GPA: 2.70
Science GPA: 2.21
Math GPA: 3.0
Non-Science GPA: 3.22

PCAT Composite: 93
Verbal Ability: 91
Biology: 92
Reading Comprehension: 90
Quantitative Ability: 85
Chemistry: 85

I also have worked 30-40 hours per week every semester of college (hence the terrible grades) and have work experience in both retail and hospital pharmacy. Additionally, I was involved in two research labs (in biomolecular chemistry and pharmaceutical sciences), and have significant volunteering and extracurricular experience. I'm hoping my scores on the PCAT and my other relevant experiences will at least make schools look at me, but my GPA stats are SO SO bad that I'm really worried...

Thanks guys! And congratulations to everyone that has received interviews and/or has been accepted. Reading how kind everyone is on this thread has made me really happy :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I'm sorry to bother you all, but could you also give me thoughts on my chances (if there are any)? I will receive a BS in Biology from the University of Wisconsin in May and here are my stats:

I also have worked 30-40 hours per week every semester of college (hence the terrible grades) and have work experience in both retail and hospital pharmacy. Additionally, I was involved in two research labs (in biomolecular chemistry and pharmaceutical sciences), and have significant volunteering and extracurricular experience. I'm hoping my scores on the PCAT and my other relevant experiences will at least make schools look at me, but my GPA stats are SO SO bad that I'm really worried...

Thanks guys! And congratulations to everyone that has received interviews and/or has been accepted. Reading how kind everyone is on this thread has made me really happy :)

I honestly don't know exactly what the school is looking for in acceptance but your PCAT scores are fantastic and you should be proud of them. Your GPA isn't ideal but your PCAT scores also speak to your abilities as a student so I wouldn't give up hope. Now this is totally from memory but I think I read on the SDN that someone who applied to the University of Michigan had a 2.75 and a strong PCAT score was accepted there; they explained their low GPA during their interview. Personally I got a lower score in the quantitative section of my PCAT, a 67 (but a 91 composite), and I explained why that isn't an accurate depiction of my academic abilities in one of the supplemental essay questions and I was offered an interview here. I'm not sure if this is your top pick for pharmacy school, but if you haven't heard back you could always reach out to them and explain your GPA. Plus it shows them you are truly interested in the school. I emailed the director of admissions for another school I am applying to because I'm missing one of their prerequisites but still wanted to apply. I explained my situation and respectfully sated why I felt I was a good applicant and should still be considered and he was very helpful, I'm really glad I did that. He provided me with some solutions to my problem so I was able to apply. I got an interview invitation two days after submitting my application and I'd like to think that my email was part of the reason. Unconditionally you shouldn't have any regrets if you try, the admissions people are here to help us.

You sound like a great fit for PharmD and I wish you the best of luck. Don't stress too much, the school that is right for you will accept you. If not, there is nothing wrong with a gap year either (even if it seems like the worst thing ever to you now). It took over a year after getting my undergrad degree to decide that pharmacy is the right fit for me, so I took two gap years! There is a bright side to every situation, now I have savings to put towards tuition and will be taking out less in loans!

Hi,

I have an interview on Friday, January 22.

Does anyone have any numbers? For example, previous threads have information about number interviewed, number accepted, etc. I know their stats on the website state that for the 2015 entering class, 80% of those interviewed were offered admission.

I hope I get in. I'm OOS, and this is my first choice, possibly tied with another school (not sure).

Good luck everyone! If UMN doesn't work out for you, or me, I hope something does. I have other interviews in February, but really hope UMN just gives me the green light before I'm required make non-refundable deposits at other schools. Given that UMN will respond within a month of January 22, I think I will be ok.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey,

PM me, my stats are - in some respects - similar to yours, and I was offered an interview. When I got the email I was like, "WHAT?" PM, I'd rather not post specifics on here.
Your PCAT is excellent, including 80+ in each subsection. Look at their admissions stats; there is wide range of those accepted. You met at least one of the minimum criteria to apply.

I interviewed recently and the stats are:

25 applicants interviewed on Jan. 15
133 applicants interviewed to date.
46% filled seats to date

@kam22, do they tell you these statistics on interview day or do you need to ask for them?

@kam22, do they tell you these statistics on interview day or do you need to ask for them?

It was printed on a page they gave us about admission statistics. I'm sure they update it every time they interview new applicants.

How long does it take the U to verify the supplemental application ?

I interviewed on the 22nd and the stats were

27 Applicants interviewing today
157 Applicants interviewed to date
46% Filled seats to date

How long does it take the U to verify the supplemental application ?

I think it took like a week and a half for mine to be reviewed and invited for interview. But youre in the busier part of the season so maybe 2 weeks ish- Good luck!

I think it took like a week and a half for mine to be reviewed and invited for interview. But youre in the busier part of the season so maybe 2 weeks ish- Good luck!

Thanks

For those of who already interviewed: was there any writing part in the interview?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to get in state tuition in Minnesota after a year?

"Minnesota residency status is granted to students who: Are permanently residing in Minnesota; and
Have been continuously present in the state of Minnesota for at least one calendar year prior to the first day of class attendance at the University. During that one-year period, the student must not have attended any other Minnesota post-secondary educational institutions."

Does that mean that I must become a resident a year before I start the pharmacy program? Or does it mean that my first year is out of state tuition but the remaining years will be instate?

Nevermind, I found my answer.

"Resident status is granted to students who are permanently residing in Minnesota and have been continuously present in the state of Minnesota for at least one calendar year prior to the first day of class attendance in the Pharm.D. program. During that one year period, the student must not have attended any other Minnesota post-secondary education institutions. Out-of-state students not living in Minnesota for one year prior are considered out-of-state for their entire enrollment in the Pharm.D. program. The College has reciprocity agreements with South Dakota and Wisconsin."

Does anyone know when they are meeting to discuss the January 22 interviews? They said we would hear back by February, but I noticed sometimes responses come early.

I'm sure you'll find out soon. I interviewed earlier than you in January and received my acceptance in 2 weeks

I'm sure you'll find out soon. I interviewed earlier than you in January and received my acceptance in 2 weeks

They said the Jan 22 interviewees would hear back by Feb 12 (3 weeks). Were you given the same timeframe of 3 weeks?

I wonder if I will hear back on the same day I have another interview. Oh well.

So nervous with all this waiting....

They said the Jan 22 interviewees would hear back by Feb 12 (3 weeks). Were you given the same timeframe of 3 weeks?

The wait is nerve racking haha. But it took them about two and a half weeks to get back to me. So it was a couple days earlier than the 3 weeks deadline they told everyone. Also everyone I interviewed with heard back on the same day that I did so I think they got back to everyone early & on the same day. Good Luck :)

It took exactly 2 weeks for me and yes we were given the same time frame

+

Last edited:
I'm so excited for Pharmacy school to start!!!!!!

Exactly two weeks since my interview (Jan 22). I was hoping for an early response. Let the waiting continue. Bummer.

Hey everyone, I interviewed and got ranked wait listed. Upon asking the admissions coordinator when I could get a status update (or for the committee to review my application again, as I have since graduated and completed prerequisites), she told me that before they post the ranked wait list in May that I could be accepted before then. Does that make any sense to you? Do any of you have more information about how far they typically get down the ranked wait list? This is my top choice school so I just would like a better idea if I actually have a chance or not to get in for fall. I have been also been accepted into three other schools of pharmacy. Any input is helpful and appreciated. Thanks guys (and gals)!

When did you interview?

What the counselor told you is exactly what we were told on our Jan 22 interview. There is nothing you can do now. If you are not accepted before they rank the list in May, you will be placed on the ranked or unranked waitlist. The lower the number, the better, on the ranked list that is.

I suppose each year varies in regards to how far down the list they go.

Good luck!

Hey everyone, I interviewed and got ranked wait listed. Upon asking the admissions coordinator when I could get a status update (or for the committee to review my application again, as I have since graduated and completed prerequisites), she told me that before they post the ranked wait list in May that I could be accepted before then. Does that make any sense to you? Do any of you have more information about how far they typically get down the ranked wait list? This is my top choice school so I just would like a better idea if I actually have a chance or not to get in for fall. I have been also been accepted into three other schools of pharmacy. Any input is helpful and appreciated. Thanks guys (and gals)!

When did you interview, and when did you get the email notification of waitlist?
The wait is killing me!!!

They inform applicants of their waitlist rank in May. But they already know your rank basically. I have been accepted already. Say, for instance, I rescinded my own acceptance and went to a different pharmacy school you could potentially be accepted before May. It varies greatly year to year but I have read that for the Minnesota typically about the top 25 get pulled from the ranked waitlist. If you really want to go here then stick with it. People can get pulled of the waitlist up until Mid-August when the schoolyear starts. Goodluck~

Haha dress properly and it's not bad. Worth the prestige~
funny that's why I wanted apply to but had no money and the weather scares me. do u know if they favor you well high pcat score or high gpa? I have high pcat low gpa.

funny that's why I wanted apply to but had no money and the weather scares me. do u know if they favor you well high pcat score or high gpa? I have high pcat low gpa.

I think they favor PCAT as a guess b/c I also had higher PCAT and lower GPA. But ultimately I think they favor Research

Their website lists the three minimum academic criteria. You need to meet at least one to get a supplemental application. After the supplemental is completed, your application is "complete" and considered for interview.

You can see the range of PCAT scores and GPAs accepted on their website. Even given a ride range, there are averages, with a few outliers here and there.

I'm still waiting for a response from my Jan 22 interview.

Good luck.

Last edited:
They inform applicants of their waitlist rank in May. But they already know your rank basically. I have been accepted already. Say, for instance, I rescinded my own acceptance and went to a different pharmacy school you could potentially be accepted before May. It varies greatly year to year but I have read that for the Minnesota typically about the top 25 get pulled from the ranked waitlist. If you really want to go here then stick with it. People can get pulled of the waitlist up until Mid-August when the schoolyear starts. Goodluck~
Is the U of M your top choice?

When did you interview, and when did you get the email notification of waitlist?
The wait is killing me!!!
I interviewed 12/4 I think (it was a long time ago). As for my notification, it came when they predicted (maybe 2 weeks later?). The only negative to the ranked wait list is that they don't tell you your ranking until May, which doesn't make any sense to me. Oh well :)

Just got accepted! I interviewed on Jan 22

I selected "any campus with twin cities preference," and was offered a seat in the TC class.

I really, really hope that everyone on here who has this school as their first choice gets in!!!

I selected "any campus with twin cities preference," and was offered a seat in the TC class.

I really, really hope that everyone on here who has this school as their first choice gets in!!!

Congrats

To those accepted, were you mailed an acceptance letter in addition to getting the email acceptance letter? Wondering if it's something I should look out for

To those accepted, were you mailed an acceptance letter in addition to getting the email acceptance letter? Wondering if it's something I should look out for

Yes, I received both an email (First) and a letter (Second).

I recently turned down my offer at the Twin Cities campus. I loved the school, but I feel another school I was accepted into fit my needs a little more. I wish you all the best of luck on getting into your school of choice! I'm sure many of you are stressed out about your school decisions just as I am. Some of the best advice I recently received is that no matter where you attend you have the opportunity to become a great pharmacist. You will get out of your education what you put into it :)

Reactions: 1 users
I recently turned down my offer at the Twin Cities campus. I loved the school, but I feel another school I was accepted into fit my needs a little more. I wish you all the best of luck on getting into your school of choice! I'm sure many of you are stressed out about your school decisions just as I am. Some of the best advice I recently received is that no matter where you attend you have the opportunity to become a great pharmacist. You will get out of your education what you put into it :)

Congrats and best wishes to wherever you go.
I remember you; we interviewed on the same day (Jan 22).

Congrats on getting your top choice, I hope you and your adorable yellow lab enjoy your time studying pharmacy

Congrats and best wishes to wherever you go.
I remember you; we interviewed on the same day (Jan 22).

Thank you! It feels nice to be remembered!I can't say I remember you, sadly a carbocation isn't ringing any bells. I hope your interview went well and that you end up where you wanted to go :)

Thank you! It feels nice to be remembered!I can't say I remember you, sadly a carbocation isn't ringing any bells. I hope your interview went well and that you end up where you wanted to go :)

I'm from way out of state and going to Univesity of Minnestoa, my top choice.

I can tell from your posts that you're going to go far in the pharmacy field. Congratulations!

Best wishes to EVERYONE, wherever you end up, make the most of it.

Reactions: 1 users