University of Minnesota c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a call around 3:25 EST! OOS Acceptance! My last name starts with a G if that helps determine if there was an order to their calls.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Last year's class got emails within a couple of hours of when they did calls, so if we haven't gotten a call at least we'll be put out of our misery soon? :nailbiting:

Last year's class got emails within a couple of hours of when they did calls, so if we haven't gotten a call at least we'll be put out of our misery soon? :nailbiting:
When they called me, they said that they will be sending out emails within the next few hours or so. From what it sounded like, most people should know by tonight.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS ACCEPTED!!! I literally can’t believe it this is my dream school !

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
OOS acceptance! Got the call at 4:07!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
She called a third time just now 😭 OOS acceptance.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
When I was applying decision emails went out around 4pm CST, but holy crap that was like 3 years ago now

When I was applying decision emails went out around 4pm CST, but holy crap that was like 3 years ago now
My interviewer also said we should be expecting emails at 4 pm today

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist #72. (OOS) Good as rejected:( But I wish you all luck and congratulations to everyone who got a spot!!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Waitlist #66. Good luck to everyone!

• Care
Email was sent out! OOS Waitlisted!

• Care
Wanted to offer some encouragement to those waitlisted. I was waitlisted at #12 IS last year and got my call of acceptance very close to the start of the school year. Never give up hope to those on the waitlist-you never know how things will turn out! Congrats to everyone who was accepted today🐾

Holy cow, #6 on the OOS waitlist!! This was my third year applying and first year even getting an interview! Feeling cautiously optimistic! Congratulations and best of luck to everyone!

• Care
I'm number #8 on the OOS waitlist, does anyone know how much the list moves for OOS historically? I'm not sure how to feel😂

• Care
OOS rejection 😔
Congratulations to all accepted, and good luck to those waitlisted! ✨

• Care
I'm number #8 on the OOS waitlist, does anyone know how much the list moves for OOS historically? I'm not sure how to feel😂
OOS usually moves more than IS, but how much it moves varies year to year. I think when I've checked years prior it usually gets to at least the 20s?

Reactions: 1 user
OOS usually moves more than IS, but how much it moves varies year to year. I think when I've checked years prior it usually gets to at least the 20s?

I'd agree with this.

Personally, if I sat #8 on the out of state waitlist, I'd consider it highly likely to get an offer at some point.

That said, it really is variable. And who the heck knows how covid will impact how people go about making decisions about vet school.

OOS rejected 😢💔

Do you guys mind sharing gpa stats? Gonna probably start working for next year's application

On a side note it was crazy how they got less applicants even for the 19% applicant increase.

• Care
I'd agree with this.

Personally, if I sat #8 on the out of state waitlist, I'd consider it highly likely to get an offer at some point.

That said, it really is variable. And who the heck knows how covid will impact how people go about making decisions about vet school.
Honestly I was just thinking that, with COVID I feel all bets are off! 😂
Fingers crossed it moves semi decent this year. 🤞

OOS rejected 😢💔

Do you guys mind sharing gpa stats? Gonna probably start working for next year's application

On a side note it was crazy how they got less applicants even for the 19% applicant increase.
Oh no! I'm sorry :cryi:. Did you apply from anywhere else and hear anything yet?
My cumulative GPA was a 3.93, and my science, pre-req, and last 40 GPAs were all around a 3.87. I had about 1500 hours in small animal and exotics veterinary experience from working as a veterinary assistant at a SA clinic and about 500 veterinary hours working in a clinical veterinary microbiology laboratory where I also got about 100 hours of research experience. I also had about 20 hours of large animal/equine experience from one of my classes and around 50 hours of small animal experience volunteering in an ICU.

Friends who didn't get the news you were hoping for today - I have been in your shoes and I know how awful it feels (I didn't even get an interview the first time I applied!). If you want to chat with a friendly stranger, my PM box is open. Chin up 💕

• Care
OOS waitlisted today (#49). This was my top school but not very hopeful for that much movement. On a better note I also received an acceptance to my IS school today

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
OOS waitlisted, but I will be declining the offer since I got accepted at other schools I'm more interested in! Good luck to the rest of you! I hope you get the answer you wanted!

• Care
I am reading so much about OOS waitlist movement but not a lot about IS waitlist movement. I know COVID may play a big role with year, but how many students are on the IS waitlist usually and how many usually get invited off the waitlist?

Congratulations to everyone with good news, I’m excited for you!
Rejected but fine with it, I don’t really like cities so I was more likely to accept Cornell even if I were accepted :). Stats for reference:

- 4.0 GPA, 15 scholarships/academic awards
- 1900 h animal experience mostly with cats, horses, and wildlife, some with poultry, goats, and dogs
- 560 h research
- only 270 (now ~330) h veterinary experience, mostly equine, also wildlife and some small animal
- 180 h other volunteering
- 1600 h extracurriculars (club pres and sports mostly)
- 600 h other employment (lab TA, fast food)
- mentioned in interview that I just started as a receptionist at a vet hospital

• Care
  • Love
I just have to say as a prospective c/o 2026 applicant I'm so excited reading all of these posts and I hope this will be me a year from now! Congrats everyone!!! :clap:

Many questions forthcoming for current students!

-Where do most students live? I’m all excited now and have been scouring the internet looking at apartments, but since I’m OOS I don’t really know the neighborhoods/good areas. Do people live in Minneapolis? In St. Paul? In the burbs in between them near the school? Would it be insane of me to want to live downtown? Google tells me it takes about 10 minutes to drive from downtown Minneapolis to the St. Paul campus, which for me is like nothing! But as we know, Google isn’t always the most reliable lol

-What is the car + snow situation? I have a Prius which is two wheel drive, so I’m a bit worried it won’t cut it in such a snowy place. However, my reference for this is living in Seattle, which is terribly prepared for snow and has like one snow plow per city. If we get 1/2 inch of snow, the whole metro area shuts down and people literally die driving in those conditions! I assume that you guys have enough snow plows to actually plow the streets and you don’t need a 4WD car to make it safely down the block?

-Can anyone shed light on the grading policy? Is it standard A/B/C/D/F, pass/fail, or...? Also obviously nobody wants to be in the position of failing a class, but what is the cutoff for failing a class and what happens if you do? Do you have to repeat the class, or the term, or the year? Do you get dismissed from the school if you get a certain grade? I know this varies sooo widely across schools, but I’ve seen horror stories on here so I’d like to know what I’m getting into and I haven’t been able to find this information online

-Where do most students live? I’m all excited now and have been scouring the internet looking at apartments, but since I’m OOS I don’t really know the neighborhoods/good areas. Do people live in Minneapolis? In St. Paul? In the burbs in between them near the school? Would it be insane of me to want to live downtown? Google tells me it takes about 10 minutes to drive from downtown Minneapolis to the St. Paul campus, which for me is like nothing! But as we know, Google isn’t always the most reliable lol
There's a pretty good mix of where people live. There's so much housing in the area either immediately around St Paul campus or around the Minneapolis campus. I live in St Paul proper and have about a 15 min drive to school, it's not too bad.
-What is the car + snow situation? I have a Prius which is two wheel drive, so I’m a bit worried it won’t cut it in such a snowy place. However, my reference for this is living in Seattle, which is terribly prepared for snow and has like one snow plow per city. If we get 1/2 inch of snow, the whole metro area shuts down and people literally die driving in those conditions! I assume that you guys have enough snow plows to actually plow the streets and you don’t need a 4WD car to make it safely down the block?
I also have a Prius and have managed to exist out here with it since 2012. I get stuck at least once per winter, but people in MN are really nice about helping to push you out.
-Can anyone shed light on the grading policy? Is it standard A/B/C/D/F, pass/fail, or...? Also obviously nobody wants to be in the position of failing a class, but what is the cutoff for failing a class and what happens if you do? Do you have to repeat the class, or the term, or the year? Do you get dismissed from the school if you get a certain grade? I know this varies sooo widely across schools, but I’ve seen horror stories on here so I’d like to know what I’m getting into and I haven’t been able to find this information online
There's a mix of pass/fail and A-F. I don't know as much about dismissal policies but from what I know, it's much more focused on retaining students than some other programs seem to be.

Also @vetsquared I've heard snow tires can really make a difference but I'm too cheap to find out :laugh:
Lol true! I’ve never lived somewhere that snow tires would even be a consideration but that’s definitely something I’ll have to look into! Thank you for answering all my questions too :)

1) "Most" live pretty close to campus, often within nearby apartments. There are homes to rent primarily east and north of campus. But there is no single-best answer - people live all over depending on their goals. I wouldn't personally recommend downtown Minneapolis due to cost. Upside would be great food and other stuff to do, but ... expensive.

2) You'll be fine with a Prius. I think people have this image of every day being snowmageddon, which isn't the case. The majority of the time the roads are perfectly passable in any vehicle. When you get a major snowstorm, you just have to accept the limitations - don't drive until it's plowed if your vehicle can't handle it, and drive slower and more cautiously once you are out in the snow. Lots of Minnesotans own Priuses. I don't feel snow tires are worth it; modern general use tires are pretty reasonable. I have lived here my entire life and driven everything from a tiny 2WD Dodge Colt that weighed all of 1 pound to a heavier sedan to my last two vehicles (smaller SUVs) ... and have always gotten around in all of them without snow tires. It's less about what car you have and more about understanding its limitations. PSA: Put a good hat, mittens/gloves, pocket heaters, blanket(s), and whatever else you feel is important in your car and don't ever take it out (even in summer). It is possible to get stranded in a snowbank for many hours before you can get help. It will always be the worst timing - the middle of a bad snowstorm when emergency services are overwhelmed.

3) I've been out for a while, so grain of salt in case policies have changed, but when I was there you could not get an F (or 2 D's in any semester) - in theory you had to retake that class and could not progress until that issue was resolved. So an F (or 2 D's) automatically meant getting set back a year going by the book. That's the policy. That said, as with any disciplinary issue there is always discussion with the disciplinary committee to get more information about what went wrong and to come up with a plan that was in the best interests of the school and the student both. I was on that committee and our goal was always a path forward, not simply "you screwed up, you're done." If there was a way to keep the student in the class but manage the academic failure, we looked for it, but that wasn't always possible and quite a bit depended on the circumstances and the class and the student.

I am reading so much about OOS waitlist movement but not a lot about IS waitlist movement. I know COVID may play a big role with year, but how many students are on the IS waitlist usually and how many usually get invited off the waitlist?
Im not sure how many people are actually on the IS waitlist, maybe around 50? I know getting pulled off it varies from year to year and sometimes there is hardly any movement at all. From what I've seen on here it usually gets up to the low-mid teens, but it can get up to the 20s.

People have answered the housing part pretty well so I wont belabor the point, but I do want to caution against relying on google's time estimates for driving right now. COVID has reduced traffic quite a bit, so take their estimates with a grain of salt, especially when dealing with downtown. If you do want to live in downtown you might be better off relying on the public transport system instead, since parking (both at your apartment and at the school) is gonna be pricey and traffic downtown is not going to be pleasant when you're headed to 8am classes.
Personally I hate driving downtown and try to avoid the area as much as I can, but everyone is different. I do think that you will find better (and more cost-friendly) options if you avoid it.

Is your car a front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive? I can speak from experience that rear-wheel is harder and more stressful to handle in the winter if you have to drive in snowy conditions. But like my classmates have said, a majority of the time it isnt that much of an issue. [Though if you live in an apartment complex their response might be a little slow -.- ] I think the only time I've thought I might need snow tires is if I'm going somewhere remote, like a cabin.
I know last year they tried making the first semester Pass/Fail entirely, I'm not sure if they decided to keep it that way or not. Most classes are A-F until 3rd year spring; electives are typically Pass/Fail as are courses like Clinical Skills and Professional Development which are less intensive overall.
I know halfway through the semester they send out letters if you are at risk of failing the course, and they recommend meeting with professors or getting a student tutor if you get one. From my understanding the program is pretty forgiving, and they work with you well. What exactly you have to do depends on the course/how many courses you struggled with. Sometimes it's making up an assignment that resulted in an incomplete, sometimes it's repeating a course and sometimes you do have to drop to the year below. Overall though it's very very rare that people drop out of the program entirely.

OOS rejected 😢💔

what do you mean by "they got less applicants despite an applicant increase?" Can you clarify?

Is your car a front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive? I can speak from experience that rear-wheel is harder and more stressful to handle in the winter if you have to drive in snowy conditions. But like my classmates have said, a majority of the time it isnt that much of an issue. [Though if you live in an apartment complex their response might be a little slow -.- ] I think the only time I've thought I might need snow tires is if I'm going somewhere remote, like a cabin.
I think Priuses (Prii?) are front-wheel drive. Mine handles okay on snowy roads, it just gets hung up/stuck in deeper snow because it sits so low to the ground.

Late to the party, but I was accepted OOS! Anyone know if there is a facebook group for CO 2025? I’d love to meet everyone

Hey Everyone, does anyone know about the laptop requirements? Mine just broke and I don't want to buy the wrong one, but the acceptance email said we wouldn't hear back about that until May.

Hey Everyone, does anyone know about the laptop requirements? Mine just broke and I don't want to buy the wrong one, but the acceptance email said we wouldn't hear back about that until May.
I can try and dig up the doc they gave us when I was first starting, but in truth most new laptops will work just fine. The main things are that you need to be able to run lockdown browser and have a decent screen for viewing radiographs. The ability to change your contrast is nice but I've found that to be relatively rare, so generally it's not super necessary.