University of Minnesota c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can probably show you around a little if you want (or at least walk around campus with you and answer questions if you have any) :)
That would be amazing!! I’ll PM you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

This may be a random question but do you think commuting from Woodbury is do-able? I talked to a vet who is from Minnesota and he said that there will be a lot of traffic in the morning and it would take close to an hour if I am commuting from Woodbury. When I look it up on google, it saids 27 mins without traffic. I am thinking 35mins max but of course, the closer the better.

I am looking to purchase a house in a nicer area since safety is very important to me. I would love to get some recommendations about what neighborhoods I should look at!

Also, for the fourth year, if you are on call do you have to be within certain radius of the school? If so, what is the limit?

Thank you so much in advance! It is really hard trying to decide where to settle without being able to visit.

I will say that I’ve sprung for the ramp parking most semesters even though it’s more expensive because I am a big huge baby about cleaning snow and ice off my car when it’s gross out, and between that and the shorter walk, it’s been worth the extra money for me. Your mileage may vary if you’re not a wimp like I am 😂

Ditto. I did the parking lot (the state fair one, I think?) first year, then second year switched to the ramp at the stupid high price and never looked back. Well worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto. I did the parking lot (the state fair one, I think?) first year, then second year switched to the ramp at the stupid high price and never looked back. Well worth it.
I was fine with the state fair lot until one of those early fall ice storms, and after I ate it multiple times trying to get to AS/VM, I knew I was a ramp parker for the rest of my time here :rofl: Chiseling the ice off my car that night just added insult to injury.

This may be a random question but do you think commuting from Woodbury is do-able? I talked to a vet who is from Minnesota and he said that there will be a lot of traffic in the morning and it would take close to an hour if I am commuting from Woodbury. When I look it up on google, it saids 27 mins without traffic. I am thinking 35mins max but of course, the closer the better.

I am looking to purchase a house in a nicer area since safety is very important to me. I would love to get some recommendations about what neighborhoods I should look at!

Also, for the fourth year, if you are on call do you have to be within certain radius of the school? If so, what is the limit?

Thank you so much in advance! It is really hard trying to decide where to settle without being able to visit.
One of my classmates (c/o 2024) is moving this summer from south como to woodbury because their particular apartment complex in como has a lot of issues (homeless breakins, drugs, domestic violence, etc.) and I'm looking at woodbury as a future location too (I do my shopping there because I like the costco and target in that area better than the stores to the west of my location [downtown St. Paul]).

From my location, I usually give myself 30 minutes to make the commute (for labs, since that's the main thing in-person right now) and I'm always 10-15 minutes early if I leave on time. I anticipate from Woodbury it would be a 30 minute drive on average, but personally I'd probably give myself 45 minutes if I was leaving during a known rush hour (though, me being from Los Angeles, I haven't yet seen bad traffic in Minnesota, or maybe my definition of "bad traffic" is a lot different being a Los Angeles native with a lot of experience on those freeways).

I just checked the route you'd be taking, and you'll be on the stretch of I-94 that goes right through downtown St Paul and meets 35E. During rush hour in non-covid times, I can see that taking up to 45 minutes, especially in winter. It would probably be closer to 35 minutes most days. Google can't really be trusted right now since COVID has reduced traffic a lot, so commute times on busy highways will probably get longer over time. If you pass through either Minneapolis or St Paul, I'd add 10-20 minutes to google estimates.

In general I advise looking at housing north of the cities to avoid crossing through them on your commute, but I am biased because I've never lived south of them. I did commute to work south of the cities for several years though, so nowadays I try to avoid it.

From my location, I usually give myself 30 minutes to make the commute (for labs, since that's the main thing in-person right now) and I'm always 10-15 minutes early if I leave on time. I anticipate from Woodbury it would be a 30 minute drive on average, but personally I'd probably give myself 45 minutes if I was leaving during a known rush hour (though, me being from Los Angeles, I haven't yet seen bad traffic in Minnesota, or maybe my definition of "bad traffic" is a lot different being a Los Angeles native with a lot of experience on those freeways).
I'd note that COVID has reduced traffic quite a bit, so as everything opens up morning and evening commutes will slow down again. I'm sure it will never be as bad as LA, except where 35W and 94 come together in Minneapolis

Reactions: 1 users
Just turned down my IS spot. Good luck to everyone else! It truly is such a great school/city!

Just turned down my IS spot. Good luck to everyone else! It truly is such a great school/city!
May I ask which school you are going to instead? (I would never have turned down UMN if I had IS tuition:cryi:)

It was tough but I decided to go to UPenn. I've lived here a while and went to undergrad at UMN, but it was my top choice so I decided to commit!

May I ask which school you are going to instead? (I would never have turned down UMN if I had IS tuition:cryi:)
UMNs IS tuition is also on the higher end of IS tuition in general and there are some OOS schools that have the same or cheaper tuition.

I just got the call!! I’m over the moon! Can’t wait to see everyone in a few months!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Took my name off of the OOS waitlist for a masters program, good luck to everyone waiting!!

• Care
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I declined my OOS spot! Hope someone off the waitlist can take it!

• Care
IS acceptance off the wait list #15!

Reactions: 3 users
interviewed in March. Have not heard anything. Does that mean I am not on the wait list?

Hello! I am looking at apartments and have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

Hello! I am looking at apartments and have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!
Have you joined your class facebook page yet? There are often posts there from upperclassmen looking for new roommates! I think a list of places other vet students live is usually posted on there too, so that can be a great place to start.
Other than that, I would start searching in the Falcon heights, Como, or Midway areas for apartments that meet your needs; places like rent.com or apartments.com can get you started pretty well. I've personally lived a bit further away (in Little Canada and New Brighton) along the highways that cross by campus, but I dont mind a 20 minute commute

Does anyone know when we should expect to receive the mid-May email? Or what that email usually contains? I’m wondering when we can expect to get financial aid packages, our course registration for fall, whether classes will be in-person or not, and information about the orientation.

Does anyone know when we should expect to receive the mid-May email? Or what that email usually contains? I’m wondering when we can expect to get financial aid packages, our course registration for fall, whether classes will be in-person or not, and information about the orientation.
Someone on the discord account said they got theirs on the 21st last year. Another person on the Facebook page emailed them and asked and they said it would be the 26th. So it should be very soon!

This is what a student on discord gave me as their time lime of emails and information in the emails:

<@&811075182805778523> ,

I looked in my emails and last year these were the dates:

**May 21st** we got an email about enrolling on canvas for "New Student Registration and Important Information" and the forms/info was due on **June 5**.

**June 10th** email about "Important Information for Incoming Student" with deadline of **July 10th** for the section titled "Ordering Books, Supplies, and Clothing"

**July 22nd** email about "New Student Orientation Information" and invite to GOALE canvas course where we needed to complete:

MBTI assessment
Information survey
U Card info
Schedule of events
What to wear during the first week of class
And more!

Due **August 3rd**

So, the answer to "when do we usually start hearing things": last year it was **May 21st**, so <@!835189496647254046> 's "late May" is probably the answer.

Might be a dumb question... is anyone OOS with a car getting a mn drivers license/registering their car in mn? I didn’t do that in undergrad because I wasn’t technically a resident and I lived in the dorms but wondering if I need to.

Might be a dumb question... is anyone OOS with a car getting a mn drivers license/registering their car in mn? I didn’t do that in undergrad because I wasn’t technically a resident and I lived in the dorms but wondering if I need to.
I don't think you need to, my roommate in vet school didn't. That being said if you have any desire to try to apply for residency then I would.

I don't think you need to, my roommate in vet school didn't. That being said if you have any desire to try to apply for residency then I would.
Thank you. I don’t think I’d qualify as a resident so I didn’t want to bother going through the hassle I just wasn’t sure if I had to for legal purposes

Thank you. I don’t think I’d qualify as a resident so I didn’t want to bother going through the hassle I just wasn’t sure if I had to for legal purposes

Other than for purposes of 'proving' residency midway through school for tuition changes, I can't think of much reason you'd want to get a MN DL (unless at some point you're look ... woah .... MN is cool, I wanna stay here, of course).

You guys, I just got the keys to my apartment! It still feels surreal, but it’s starting to feel like maybe this is actually happening!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone on here knows what percentage of people that interview will get accepted? I am so stressed for my daughter has an upcoming interview and this is the only invite she's had so far. Any advise will be greatly appreciated please.

Anyone on here knows what percentage of people that interview will get accepted? I am so stressed for my daughter has an upcoming interview and this is the only invite she's had so far. Any advise will be greatly appreciated please.
My advice is to be sincere and confident. Don't pretend to be someone they are not. UMN interviewers were among the most friendly in all the schools I interviewed with. Our interview was 1 hour in length and they had about 10 questions to go through. I remember it was an open file interview, but please correct me if I remembered wrong. Try practicing some generic vet school interviews questions like "give me an example of you overcoming an obstacle" "tell me a story of you taking on leadership role" "give me an example of you successfully resolving a workplace conflict". UMN really emphasized on specific examples.

Thank you so much for your advise

Not open file! I was an interviewer last year and we went into each interview blind to the applicant's app.
Hi, do you know what % are accepted from applicants that are interviewed?

Hi, do you know what % are accepted from applicants that are interviewed?
Most schools interview at least twice the number of applicants they will accept, but it varies.

Does anyone know how much the OOS waitlist moved last year by any chance?