University of Minnesota - Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so for the ladies interviewing on Nov. 15, are ya'll bringing a heavy coat?

Members don't see this ad.

so for the ladies interviewing on Nov. 15, are ya'll bringing a heavy coat?
am probably going to wear a peacoat over my suit jacket! better to be overprepared than to freeze in 15 degree weather :c

I read in a previous UMN thread that there were two-a-day sessions, but maybe that is later on in the application process or I could have mistaken it for something else. Yikes that is some cold weather then, thanks for the heads up.

By 8888888888, how are you liking the P1 year so far?

It's ok. I think with the new curriculum, first semester of P1 is suppose to ease you in. Lots of free time...Makes me want to look for a job, but haven't gotten around to do so. It's been a pretty smooth transition from undergrad. So far, it's easier, but I imagine next semester for things to get a little harder with classes like Med agents and pharmacology. Ask me next semester see how I do haha.

Good luck. It's getting cold.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not old enough (20) to check into a hotel. The hotels near campus require you to be 21 years old. Does anybody know how I get around this? It's a waste of money to have my siblings/parents travel just so they can check me into a hotel. =/

I'm not old enough (20) to check into a hotel. The hotels near campus require you to be 21 years old. Does anybody know how I get around this? It's a waste of money to have my siblings/parents travel just so they can check me into a hotel. =/

Wow.. you're young. Are you traveling from out of state? I would first call the hotel to tell them your situation and go on from there. If all else fails, sleep over at the airport.

Try airbnb.com. It's an alternative to staying at a hotel; it's also a bit cheaper. I don't know if you'd feel safe living at someone's apartment/house, but I've done it once or twice and have had no problems. Just go with the places that have quite a bit of reviews (5-10+). Not sure if there's an age requirement, but I do not believe there are.

*OR book a red-eye flight so you can arrive in the morning.

Save a lot of money and sleep at the airport. It is not too bad in my own experience.

I talked to the manager at Days Inn and she's allowing me to check in :) yay

Awesome! Are you from MN?

I just got an interview invitation for Oct. 25th as well! It took almost 3 weeks exactly for me to hear back!

Practice typical pharmacy interview questions with friends or professors. It will give you a foundation that you can use to base off answers during the actual interview and it helped my first few interviews to go smoothly. It is also okay to have a few "umm" and "uhh" in your responses so do not stress over that. Schools know that you are normally nervous so just relax and nail the interview! Good luck :thumbup:

Getting prepared for the Oct. 25 interview and getting a bit nervous. It's my first interview so what is everybody doing to prepare?

Hope to meet some of you interviewing that day too!

How were ya'll interviews? :luck:

8888888, my interview went well. I am pretty much sold on University of Minnesota, but guess I will find out in time if I will be part of their 2018 Class.

Here are the stats:

37 Applicants interviewing today (10/25)
42 total applicants interviewed (including today's interview)
5 applicants reviewed for admission
4 applicants admitted
165 spots in the Class of 2018 (60 Duluth, 105 Twin Cities)

There was a previous interview session on 9/27 with 5 people and 4 were admitted from that group. So 80% got in, but it will be more likely around 60-70% for this round of interviewees if the trend follows the past years. Good luck everyone.

EDIT: Added all the statistic information

Last edited:
8888888, my interview went well even though my interviewer drilled me with questions. I am pretty much sold on University of Minnesota, but guess I will find out in time if I will be part of their 2018 Class.

Here are the stats:

4 applicants admitted

There was a previous interview session on 9/27 with 5 people and 4 were admitted from that group. So 80% got in, but it will be more likely around 60-70% for this round of interviewees if the trend follows the past years. Good luck everyone.

Wow, this was great! Thanks :D

Can I ask, what sold you about the school? And was U of MN originally your first choice?

Trying to anxiously wait for my interview :C heh

Wow, this was great! Thanks :D

Can I ask, what sold you about the school? And was U of MN originally your first choice?

Trying to anxiously wait for my interview :C heh

Twin Cities location is beautiful with so many opportunities during and after the PharmD program. U of MN is also an innovator of the pharmacy profession that is changing up many things, such as their curriculum, and it is very exciting to see. I also would like to continue research and there are many chances for that with the faculty as well. Plus they gave cool pens. The pens got me.

Members don't see this ad :)
8888888, my interview went well even though my interviewer drilled me with questions. I am pretty much sold on University of Minnesota, but guess I will find out in time if I will be part of their 2018 Class.

Here are the stats:

4 applicants admitted

was the interview open file or closed file???

was the interview open file or closed file???

It was a little of both situations. The interviewer had access to your personal statement/supplemental essays, but not your transcripts/PCAT information. I came in trying to really sell myself and explain my path towards Pharmacy, but was told by my interviewer to not repeat anything I wrote in both my PS and supplemental so that threw me. My questions (8-9) were mostly scenario/ethical based questions and how pharmacists fit into the world of healthcare, so practice SDN interview feedback and you will be fine.

Thank you guys for useful information. Anyone got stats for how many are interviewing on Nov 15?

thank you for the advice :)

Hey Update for you

No preference will help only if you end up on the waitlist. So if you're on the waitlist and you are twin cities only, but a spot in Duluth opens up, you'll be skipped in favor of something that either chose Duluth only or no preference. Good luck, they're giving you guys like an extra week to decide or so. In the past, we had to decide on the day of. If you don't send in your response, they will put you down as no preference.

Hey Update for you

No preference will help only if you end up on the waitlist. So if you're on the waitlist and you are twin cities only, but a spot in Duluth opens up, you'll be skipped in favor of something that either chose Duluth only or no preference. Good luck, they're giving you guys like an extra week to decide or so. In the past, we had to decide on the day of. If you don't send in your response, they will put you down as no preference.

Wouldn't it also help when they try to accept you at first? I am not sure how the decision process is but I assume if you put no preference, you have a chance at both campuses. I think the only difference is if you say only xxx campus. In this case, you won't even be considered at the other campus. Unless you are really confident about your stats or you really hate to attend a certain campus, I see no reason to choose only one campus.

Wouldn't it also help when they try to accept you at first? I am not sure how the decision process is but I assume if you put no preference, you have a chance at both campuses. I think the only difference is if you say only xxx campus. In this case, you won't even be considered at the other campus. Unless you are really confident about your stats or you really hate to attend a certain campus, I see no reason to choose only one campus.

The admission committee will give a long speech about how it won't help your cause so I am sure they put some consideration into not letting "No Preference" affect their decision on the applicants. My reasoning is that they first decide if you are either accepted or rejected, then they will proceed to place you into your campus selection to avoid bias. If your stats and interview scores are border-lining between acceptance and rejection, I would assume that campus selection would have zero effect. That is just my theory though and make sure you are willing to go to either campuses.

Reactions: 1 user

Many people don't want to go to Duluth. So the process works like this from what I know.

The people that review your application does not see whether you put down what preference. So, from there you either get accepted, waitlisted, or rejected.

Once you're accepted, there's another person that looks at your preference. If you put down either, they will put you whatever that fits proportionally. They fill the class proportionally, 106 in Twin Cities and 60 in duluth. If there were 5 people from your group that got accepted but 3 put twin cities and 2 put no preference. The no preference people will get Duluth because they have to fill it proportionally. Especially this early in the interview process, I would just put the one you prefer. If you prefer Duluth, and don't want to go to Twin Cities..then put Duluth only. Minnesota accepts nearly 50% of people that apply, that's pretty good chances to me, compared to many other top schools.

I put Twin cities only cause I need some asian markets/food diversity, big city life, etc... I don't see myself in Duluth, thus I didn't select it. I applied in March too, and I got my Twin Cities preference.

The admission committee will give a long speech about how it won't help your cause so I am sure they put some consideration into not letting "No Preference" affect their decision on the applicants. My reasoning is that they first decide if you are either accepted or rejected, then they will proceed to place you into your campus selection to avoid bias. If your stats and interview scores are border-lining between acceptance and rejection, I would assume that campus selection would have zero effect. That is just my theory though and make sure you are willing to go to either campuses.
+1 basically.

Okay, thnx guys. Will keep that in mind. So it will only matter when I am on the waitlist..

Hey guys i got this email from the U "Due to the heavy volume of applications we are receiving this year, application reviews could take up to three weeks or more." anyone else get this email?

Hey guys i got this email from the U "Due to the heavy volume of applications we are receiving this year, application reviews could take up to three weeks or more." anyone else get this email?

Interesting. Hmm, I wonder how much more applications they are getting. It took 2 weeks for them to review my application before they offered me an interview last year in February.

I got that email too. Anyone got an interview for December? I guess November is already full...Maybe not.

Just got an interview for Dec 6 :) My "three weeks" would have been monday. Hopefully I will see many of you there!

Whoooooooooooooooo!!!! Just got my acceptance to TC!

I'm flying out to Minnesota in a few days for my interview! (so nervous...)

I've never been out where it's so cold - can I ask what people wear at this time of the month? I know cold varies for person to person, but just wondering what I should pack to be safe :c

Just got my acceptance this afternoon!! Good luck everybody!!

I submitted my supplemental two weeks ago. How long did they take to get back to you guys?

It's actually warming up later this week. It'll be in the upper 40's or so as the high. In the past 2 days have been the coldest of the season. It was in high 10's at night and mid 20's during the day.

Hey everyone! I'm the one who started the thread, but I've been slacking on here. :p Anyway, I got accepted to TC campus! I'm already an undergrad here (wish I could have explored a new environment, but out of state tuition is too depressing). Anyway, do people want to start a fb group for accepted class of 2018 so we can start to get to know each other? :)

Accepted :) good luck everyone!

Hey everyone! I'm the one who started the thread, but I've been slacking on here. :p Anyway, I got accepted to TC campus! I'm already an undergrad here (wish I could have explored a new environment, but out of state tuition is too depressing). Anyway, do people want to start a fb group for accepted class of 2018 so we can start to get to know each other? :)

Congrats! Don't worry you can show us all around haha . Yeah that would be great if someone tech-saavy could do that?

I'm flying out to Minnesota in a few days for my interview! (so nervous...)

I've never been out where it's so cold - can I ask what people wear at this time of the month? I know cold varies for person to person, but just wondering what I should pack to be safe :c
Where are you flying from? I'm just thinking about bringing a coat and gloves because my hands get cold really easily. Being from Arizona, I'm not use to the cold at all, so not looking forward to that. =/

Accepted :) good luck everyone!

Congrats to the both of you! Do you guys have any interview tips??

Where are you flying from? I'm just thinking about bringing a coat and gloves because my hands get cold really easily. Being from Arizona, I'm not use to the cold at all, so not looking forward to that. =/
Up to you. It's not going to be that cold for the rest of the week. Maybe a coat? And put your hands in the coat..

Congratulations!! The fb group would be great to have!

For those preparing for interviews... Are you guys having trouble accessing the interview feedback results? It keeps giving me an error message :(

Congrats to the both of you! Do you guys have any interview tips??

Be yourself and practice, as embarrassing as it sounds, I just practiced talking to the mirror. I was able to notice my flaws. And know why you want to go to uofmn. Be confident. I hope it helps, good luck.

I know right! I'm from Cali... and the weather never gets that cold. It is intense up north >.>

I bundled up to fly out (sweater, long-sleeve, peacoat, scarf, gloves), but think I'm just going to wear a peacoat over my suit blazer and bring gloves to wear to the interview as you are haha... too much would probably make the AdCom/interviewers think that they shouldn't accept me cause I would die out in the cold :p haha.

Good luck!! We will meet Friday :)

I know right! I'm from Cali... and the weather never gets that cold. It is intense up north >.>

I bundled up to fly out (sweater, long-sleeve, peacoat, scarf, gloves), but think I'm just going to wear a peacoat over my suit blazer and bring gloves to wear to the interview as you are haha... too much would probably make the AdCom/interviewers think that they shouldn't accept me cause I would die out in the cold :p haha.

Good luck!! We will meet Friday :)

I'm flying from SoCal! Excited. See you all Friday!

Be yourself and practice, as embarrassing as it sounds, I just practiced talking to the mirror. I was able to notice my flaws. And know why you want to go to uofmn. Be confident. I hope it helps, good luck.
Is it very conversational and laid back? 2 of the interviews that I have already attended were extremely laid back and very conversational, was wondering if it's the same here.

Is it very conversational and laid back? 2 of the interviews that I have already attended were extremely laid back and very conversational, was wondering if it's the same here.

Yup. Very conversational. It was very straight forward.