Program-Specific Info / Q's University of Minnesota-OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rumy_Petkov

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have applied, have you heard back from UoM if your application has been verified and if you have submitted all necessary application materials?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I have not received any confirmation from the U of M regarding my application, beyond the standard OTCAS email. I called today regarding a prerequisite question, and they were friendly enough. I've looked at past threads, and it looks like they get back to applicants pretty late (around March). Guess we'll just have to wait and see until then

Yes, they are very quick to get back with an answer! I have also read previous forums and it looks like we got some waiting to do. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted into this program last year and I didn't find out until end of March. I didn't hear anything prior to that either.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! In addition to the OTCAS information does U of M ask to directly apply to the school like other schools?

Hello! In addition to the OTCAS information does U of M ask to directly apply to the school like other schools?

There is a supplemental application. I think it's linked on OTCAS, but I'm not sure. It's really quick, and you have to pay an additional fee.

Current student here - I heard back mid-March last year via e-mail. I believe the second group of acceptances were sent out in May. As for the supplemental application, it's pretty easy. If you get accepted, the supplemental app prompts are the same ones you'll go off of to apply for some institutional scholarships that they offer. Good luck!!

Current student here - I heard back mid-March last year via e-mail. I believe the second group of acceptances were sent out in May. As for the supplemental application, it's pretty easy. If you get accepted, the supplemental app prompts are the same ones you'll go off of to apply for some institutional scholarships that they offer. Good luck!!
You are a current student?? That's wonderful! I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the hybrid curriculum, do you like it?? I applied here and would love to go to school there but go back and forth on how I feel about meeting face to face a couple times a semester.

You are a current student?? That's wonderful! I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the hybrid curriculum, do you like it?? I applied here and would love to go to school there but go back and forth on how I feel about meeting face to face a couple times a semester.

Overall I really like the hybrid curriculum. It definitely comes with communication frustrations at times, but all-in-all, it has been really nice to not have to be in class every week. For example, it's allowed me to go on vacation this week and still stay on top of my studies, and I also have been able fit in time to work on my off-weeks as well! Last semester we only met 5-6 times, but the first semester's class material is pretty easy, so there's really no point in meeting much more than that. This semester we meet every other week for four full days of class and this summer we will meet 3 days/week, so the meeting frequency definitely ramps up! Feel free to inbox me if you have further questions :)

Reactions: 2 users
Overall I really like the hybrid curriculum. It definitely comes with communication frustrations at times, but all-in-all, it has been really nice to not have to be in class every week. For example, it's allowed me to go on vacation this week and still stay on top of my studies, and I also have been able fit in time to work on my off-weeks as well! Last semester we only met 5-6 times, but the first semester's class material is pretty easy, so there's really no point in meeting much more than that. This semester we meet every other week for four full days of class and this summer we will meet 3 days/week, so the meeting frequency definitely ramps up! Feel free to inbox me if you have further questions :)
That is very helpful!! :) The flexibility does sound very appealing, if I think of other questions I will definitely message you!!

Hey all, has anyone heard from the U of M yet this year?
(The finance department said they couldn't locate my application on file which is very concerning...)

Hey all, has anyone heard from the U of M yet this year?
(The finance department said they couldn't locate my application on file which is very concerning...)
No I have not heard back yet. Hopefully we will know sometime this week!
Did they email you that your application was not on file?

I have not heard either! I'm waiting to make some decisions until I find out, so hopefully it is soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally got a response from the CAHP department that they do have it and will be sending out replies this week. They said to contact them again if I haven't heard anything by April 5th, so hopefully everyone will get a response by then!

I finally got a response from the CAHP department that they do have it and will be sending out replies this week. They said to contact them again if I haven't heard anything by April 5th, so hopefully everyone will get a response by then!

I just got that same email!

Although we got those emails yesterday do you think they will send anything out today? From previous threads it looked like they sent out acceptances on the 15th of March.

Although we got those emails yesterday do you think they will send anything out today? From previous threads it looked like they sent out acceptances on the 15th of March.

Oh I really hope so!!

I got an acceptance letter yesterday!! :)

I guess I'll give up on today. I just hope they don't make me wait too long if I wasn't accepted

What is your average GPA and prerequisite GPA?
My overall GPA is around a 3.2
And pre-req is 3.7

My overall is a little low. I've retaken classes but the ochems really got me since my bachelor's is in biology. My last 60 hours are around a 3.6.

Just received and accepted my admittance to the Rochester Campus! ☺️

Anyone else heard back yet? I haven't and I'm starting to get worried. :(

I received my acceptance to the Rochester campus via email on March 20th. I did accept my spot and will be attending the Rochester campus, but did have until this past Sunday to let them know. I hope you hear back with an acceptance soon!! :)

I received my acceptance to the Rochester campus via email on March 20th. I did accept my spot and will be attending the Rochester campus, but did have until this past Sunday to let them know. I hope you hear back with an acceptance soon!! :)
Congratulations! And thank you :)

Nothing yet for me, either

Received my rejection letter just now. I'll be staying in Texas and accepting my admission at St. Augustine. Good luck everyone who got accepted and congrats!!!

Waitlisted! Pretty bummed, but happy to be attending St. Catherine University instead. Good luck to everyone still waiting and congratulations to everyone who got in!!

I also received my rejection email! I will be attending Colorado State University instead. :)

Received my rejection letter today. Still waiting to hear back from Creighton University after interviewing and interviewing in Nashville on Friday!

Got rejected today which is so sad because the U of M is my beloved home for 11 years since PSEO. I did get into Columbia and one other school in NYC, so I'm so confused about what these different programs look for in candidates. Oh, well. A huge congrats to everyone who got in! :)

Waitlisted! Pretty bummed, but happy to be attending St. Catherine University instead. Good luck to everyone still waiting and congratulations to everyone who got in!!
Same thing for me! Wait listed at UMN so I will be attending the day program at St. Kates.

Got rejected today which is so sad because the U of M is my beloved home for 11 years since PSEO. I did get into Columbia and one other school in NYC, so I'm so confused about what these different programs look for in candidates. Oh, well. A huge congrats to everyone who got in! :)
Hey! What was the other New York school? I applied to SUNY Downstate and never heard back! Got into U of M, but living in NYC currently.

Hey! What was the other New York school? I applied to SUNY Downstate and never heard back! Got into U of M, but living in NYC currently.
Lol, want to switch? I'm living in Minneapolis but I got into SUNY Downstate (still trying to decide between that and columbia). These schools must want students who are more "exotic" and not local...and also have to pay out-of-state tuition costs...

Are you for sure going to the U of M? If so, I hope you like it! (Northeast Minneapolis is the best neighborhood to live in, FYI. I'm biased, but it's also a popular opinion!)

Any advice on trying to find an apartment in NYC? :)

Lol, want to switch? I'm living in Minneapolis but I got into SUNY Downstate (still trying to decide between that and columbia). These schools must want students who are more "exotic" and not local...and also have to pay out-of-state tuition costs...

Are you for sure going to the U of M? If so, I hope you like it! (Northeast Minneapolis is the best neighborhood to live in, FYI. I'm biased, but it's also a popular opinion!)

Any advice on trying to find an apartment in NYC? :)

Hahaha kinda wish we could! Yes, I am going to U o M. I'm either going to live Northeast or Uptown. I'm actually originally from Wisconsin so I'm somewhat familiar with the area.

For apartments in NYC... all the leasing happens super last minute. It's difficult to sign an apartment more than a month ahead of time. If you do Columbia, I really like the Upperwest side neighborhood. Popular neighborhood for ppl in 20's are lower east side, east village, murray hill, gramercy--these are all on the east side though and would make the commute to Columbia campus difficult. So I would just stick to upper west side. It is such a nice neighborhood (you'll feel like you're living sex in the city)!!

For SUNY Downstate...I'm not sure. This place is deep in Brooklyn and I think the surrounding area is pretty rough. I think you would want to commute to school a little ways if you go here but not sure. Maybe theres like a cluster of student apts around the school? If you want to live in Manhattan, Fidi is like a 30 min commute and one of the more affordable neighborhoods to live in in Manhattan, so it has a lot of young professionals.

Hope that helped!

Hahaha kinda wish we could! Yes, I am going to U o M. I'm either going to live Northeast or Uptown. I'm actually originally from Wisconsin so I'm somewhat familiar with the area.

For apartments in NYC... all the leasing happens super last minute. It's difficult to sign an apartment more than a month ahead of time. If you do Columbia, I really like the Upperwest side neighborhood. Popular neighborhood for ppl in 20's are lower east side, east village, murray hill, gramercy--these are all on the east side though and would make the commute to Columbia campus difficult. So I would just stick to upper west side. It is such a nice neighborhood (you'll feel like you're living sex in the city)!!

For SUNY Downstate...I'm not sure. This place is deep in Brooklyn and I think the surrounding area is pretty rough. I think you would want to commute to school a little ways if you go here but not sure. Maybe theres like a cluster of student apts around the school? If you want to live in Manhattan, Fidi is like a 30 min commute and one of the more affordable neighborhoods to live in in Manhattan, so it has a lot of young professionals.

Hope that helped!
Thanks so much! Lol, I can't imagine a universe in which I'll be able to afford Upperwest side, but a girl can dream. It's good to know I won't be missing the boat if I look for places last minute, though. Good luck with everything!

How are you liking the program? I just applied this fall season and am curious as to how current students are liking or disliking the hybrid format. Is there additional community work or engagement to allow students to interaction with other students within the program or be involved with certain populations?

How are you liking St. Kate's?! I applied there this year and was looking forward to it as a top (close) choice!